As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Moment of the Week October 16 2008

• Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    SOMEONE POST THE FINAL PAGE OF ULTIMATE ORIGINS DAMMIT!!!

Desktop Hippie on
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Somone should post the Pixie: X-Man page

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Yes, that too.

Desktop Hippie on
  • Jester313Jester313 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    This entire thread has been my Moment of the Week.

Jester313 on
  • mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Final two pages of Ultimate Origins:
    UOrigins_5_Oroboros_DCP_031.jpg
    UOrigins_5_Oroboros_DCP_033.jpg

mattharvest on
  • ShamuuuShamuuu regular
    edited October 2008
    Shamuuu wrote: »
    Last page from Ultimate Origins.
    uorigins5oroborosdcp033ks2.jpg

Shamuuu on
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Why is the mom checking out her retarded sons ass? Did he just get raped or something?

Bloods End on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Bloods End wrote: »
    Why is the mom checking out her retarded sons ass? Did he just get raped or something?

Raped by destiny, perhaps.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited October 2008

That sounds like an anime title.

Bloods End on
  • frayfray Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    U and A XM were both pretty good. I'm interested to see where this Astonishing arc goes even though Ellis has already done the parallel worlds thing about a bajillion times. Everything else was kind of meh.

fray on
    "I told you," said Ford. "Eddies in the space-time continuum."
    "And this is his sofa, is it?" said Arthur.
  • AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    what other stories has ellis done with parallel worlds?

off the top of my head all i can think of is planetary.

Angry on
    edited October 2008
    Angry wrote: »
    what other stories has ellis done with parallel worlds?

off the top of my head all i can think of is planetary.

well he did that Negative Zone story in UFF although I'm not sure that counts

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SalmonOfDoubtSalmonOfDoubt Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Authority and Stormwatch both had stories with alternate worlds. Anna Mercury. Newuniversal. I think his run on Excalibur had a fair bit of dimension-hopping, but that's always been a fairly central part of the comic.

SalmonOfDoubt on
    heavensidesig80.jpg
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    killing children would be hilarious
    Olivaw wrote: »
    HELLO AND WELCOME TO THE PENNY ARCADE FORUMS

PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY

AND THIS PENIS
    Man, I don't want to read about this lady's broken vagina.
    NotACrook wrote: »
    I am sitting here trying to come up with a tiered system for rating child molesters.
    cock vore is fuckin hilarious
  • AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    i haven't read any of those!

i really should pick up the authority and newuniversal trades. is ellis' newuniversal collected in to trades?

yes, yes it is.

Angry on
  • frayfray Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Authority and Stormwatch both had stories with alternate worlds. Anna Mercury. Newuniversal. I think his run on Excalibur had a fair bit of dimension-hopping, but that's always been a fairly central part of the comic.

's what I'm saying. Not that those aren't all good comics.

fray on
    "I told you," said Ford. "Eddies in the space-time continuum."
    "And this is his sofa, is it?" said Arthur.
  • SalmonOfDoubtSalmonOfDoubt Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    The thing is that they're all very different stories. Aside from all involving altenate universes, they've got pretty much nothing in common. It's an odd complaint.

SalmonOfDoubt on
    heavensidesig80.jpg
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    killing children would be hilarious
    Olivaw wrote: »
    HELLO AND WELCOME TO THE PENNY ARCADE FORUMS

PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY

AND THIS PENIS
    Man, I don't want to read about this lady's broken vagina.
    NotACrook wrote: »
    I am sitting here trying to come up with a tiered system for rating child molesters.
    cock vore is fuckin hilarious
  • mugginnsmugginns Jawsome Fresh CoastRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    The ending to Rogue's Revenge was pretty fuckawesome. Uncanny X-Men was pretty awesome.

RR:

Inertia goes nuts and Zoom tries to stop him. Inertia uses the speed force to send Zolomon back through time and makes him be crippled again, just sitting in his wheelchair. Will be interesting to see what happens to him.

w7im2u.jpg

1zzhv9g.jpg

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Destiny must be interested via a suppository, gods help you if you have a really big destiny.

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    With great destiny comes great rectal discomfort.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    What exactly does mirror master's gun do? Shoots mirrors at him?

Mai-Kero on
    edited October 2008
    I think he shoots shards of mirrors out.

Bloods End on
    edited October 2008
    I thought Mirror Master's gun was what allowed him to cross into the mirror dimensions or whatever

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • mugginnsmugginns Jawsome Fresh CoastRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I think he has just a generic laser pistol developed by Sam Scudder

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
    edited October 2008
    I read the Superboy series on and off during the '90s, so this scene from the Jimmy Olsen one-shot made me sad.
    1224359615637.jpg

Robos A Go Go on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Nice to see everything from the 90's is still being systematically purged from the modern DCU.

Next up!: Scorn killed by [Silver Age villain with a makeover]!

Munch on
  • JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Mai-Kero wrote: »
    What exactly does mirror master's gun do? Shoots mirrors at him?

It's been used to turn people into mirrors, which can then be broken.

JoeUser on
    edited October 2008
    Munch wrote: »
    Nice to see everything from the 90's is still being systematically purged from the modern DCU.

Next up!: Scorn killed by [Silver Age villain with a makeover]!

Dubbilex actually predates the Superboy series. That's just the only book I know him from.

Robos A Go Go on
  • BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008
    Dubbilex actually first appeared in Jimmy Olsen's series.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
    edited October 2008
    I want a new Jimmy Olsen series. Gettonit, DC.

Robos A Go Go on
  • jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Well, they've killed off every other Jack Kirby created DC character, it was only a matter of time before he got whacked as well.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
    edited October 2008
    Dubbilex actually predates the Superboy series. That's just the only book I know him from.

Well don't I look dumb. For some reason I thought he appeared during the Dan Jurgens era of Superman.

Still, it's a pet peeve of mine when a C-list character's brought back just to be killed in a story. Because most people aren't going to know or care who the C-lister is, or what happens to them, so the writer could just as easily use a well-written cipher, and the few people that know the character and like him will just be put off.

I mean, there could be a small contingent of fans that really like seeing characters killed off, but I've yet to discover it.

Munch on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited October 2008
    Dubbilex was in Countdown, he wasn't just brought back for this special

Garlic Bread on
    edited October 2008
    Countdown never happened, Keith.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited October 2008
    Ha ha Keith read Countdown.
    Alright, serious reply. I think a character's death has more impact when it happens in a book where the character's been appearing for a while. It gives readers a chance to care about them, and what happens to them. If Dubbilex had been popping up in Superman stories for the past year or so, his death would bother me less. As is, it feels like they pulled him from limbo just to kill him, making him less of a character to be mourned, and more of a plot point to be absorbed and eventually forgotten.

If someone wanted to kill Robotman, I'd hope it would be in an ongoing Doom Patrol book, where Cliff Steele is a recurring character, and not in a random fifth week event. If Starfire died, it would probably resonate best in a Titans book, rather than say, Green Lantern. I'll give Robinson points for killing Dubbilex in a Jimmy Olsen book though, so at least he's dying in the right franchise.

I understand I'm probably an abnormality among comic fans though. I hold way too much of the mythology sacred, probably too much so for my own good, so I take umbrage at things a lot of things other readers don't balk at. I view killing a character as removing a piece of that mythology, forcing later writers to either never use the character, effectively removing them forever, or to cheapen the character by resurrecting them. Both aren't options I like.

Personally, I was a fan of Joe Quesada's Dead Means Dead edict. I may not have completely agreed with the strictness of it, since I think a shitty death should be able to be undone, but I liked his rationale. He felt that, by forcing writers to accept and acknowledge that a character would be dead forever if they wrote their death, it would make writers really stop and think about what they were taking off the table. Hopefully forcing them to write stories that didn't hinge on cheap dramatic shortcuts like killing B-listers, or writing character deaths that were really worthy of being a character's final send off.

Like I said though, I'm just sort of weird in that way.

Munch on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited October 2008
    It kind of bothers me the picking-and-choosing they're doing with Countdown. Jimmy remembers having all those powers but he doesn't remember that Clark is Superman

What bothers me more is that there were two or three Action Comics issues about Jimmy knowing who Superman is

Garlic Bread on
    edited October 2008
    I had no idea who the fuck Dubbliex was so it was just a sad moment in a book with a character I didn't care about a page ago.

Bloods End on
    edited October 2008
    Which is exactly my point. For 90% of the people that read the Jimmy Olsen Special, that scene probably meant nothing, and could have been done just as well by using a new character with a fictional, unseen history with Jimmy. I go back to this example a lot, but when Kevin Smith needed Onomatopoeia to kill some superheroes, he didn't go dig up some characters from Canceled Comics Cavalcade, he just made some new dudes, fleshed them out for a few pages, then killed them, and it resonated just as well as it would have with some unknown scrub in their place. Anyhow, derail over.

This week, Booster Gold's filler arc continued to be better than most other books' filler arcs, which is a pleasant surprise. The humor still isn't as strong as it was with Johns and Katz at the helm, but Remender gets a good gag in here and there. Really, I think Booster Gold is one of those characters that has such a strong personality, it's really kind of hard to fuck up when writing him. This two-issue arc finds Booster Gold and Goldstar battling a time-spanning Starro invasion, masterminded by a Starro-controlled Rip Hunter.

BoosterGold13A.jpg

How did the invasion get started?

BoosterGold13C.jpg

Oh, Daniel. Now, observe how our stalwart hero deals with the invasion.

BoosterGold13B.jpg

oh shit son!

Munch on
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I really should be reading Booster Gold.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    man remender knows how to write badass stuff. Fear Agent usuaully has some "oh shit son!" going on every issue.

DouglasDanger on
    edited October 2008
    I just don't understand why Starro has Grundy, Chemo, and Grodd. He said that the weaker the mind the easier to control, but Grodd has a super powerful mind.

Garlic Bread on