As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Duke Nukem 3D User Map Recommendations?

2»

• Options
    VistiVisti Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    slash000 wrote: »
    Guys. I just gotta post this somewhere, and this seems like the most recent and most appropriate thread..

So, the newest VGCats comic actually references... me:
    081017.jpg

I thought it was kind of funny. Such an obscure reference. Not sure how many people are going to get it. It's me!

What exactly is the strip referencing? Your love of Duke or some actual event?

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Visti wrote: »
    Guys. I just gotta post this somewhere, and this seems like the most recent and most appropriate thread..

081017.jpg

I thought it was kind of funny. Such an obscure reference. Not sure how many people are going to get it. It's me!

The man has a Duke Nukem Forever pre order from the 90s.

He's a legend.

MechMantis on
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

081017.jpg

The strip is referencing me.. I still have a DNF preorder from gamestop. It's yellow, faded, and brittle. I post an image of it, whenever some new DNF news comes up, because the preorder's age and ancient-parchment appearance highlight the ridiculousness of the entirety of DNF's development.

I just don't see how the Fatal Fury hat in the comic could be a coincidence. :P

As far as DNF itself, there was a point many years ago when I knew that DNF was a joke and would never come out, and knowing such, decided to see if Gamestop was still taking preorders on it. And they were! So I got one. Not for any particular anticipation of the game DNF, but because I thought it would be interesting to have a preorder for a game that would never come out. What I didn't know, back then, was just how much of a huge industry-wide joke Duke Nukem Forever and its development would become, and that we'd all still be laughing about it a decade later.

slash000 on
  • Options
    VistiVisti Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Ah, I see.

Carry on.

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008

081017.jpg

The strip is referencing me.. I still have a DNF preorder from gamestop. It's yellow, faded, and brittle. I post an image of it, whenever some new DNF news comes up, because the preorder's age and ancient-parchment appearance highlight the ridiculousness of the entirety of DNF's development.

I just don't see how the Fatal Fury hat in the comic could be a coincidence. :P

As far as DNF itself, there was a point many years ago when I knew that DNF was a joke and would never come out, and knowing such, decided to see if Gamestop was still taking preorders on it. And they were! So I got one. Not for any particular anticipation of the game DNF, but because I thought it would be interesting to have a preorder for a game that would never come out. What I didn't know, back then, was just how much of a huge industry-wide joke Duke Nukem Forever and its development would become, and that we'd all still be laughing about it a decade later.

What will you do if it ever gets released? I know people want you to try and take the preorder and see if Gamestop will honor it (doubtful) and videotape the whole thing but I mean will you buy a copy of the game? Would you play it? Do you even care anymore, other than it being a good joke? :D

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I don't really care much at all about the game. I'll get it, just to see how it finally turned out. But it's not like I'm anticipating it or anything; and I honestly don't expect it to actually ever come out. I just find the whole scenario with DNF and its development history hilarious, and it's pretty clear that 3DR are jokesters and get a kick out of the whole thing too (like when they released that thumbnail sized "screenshot." hah!)

I'll try to redeem the preorder from Gamestop when it comes out. I'm just not sure how I'm going to go about doing that just yet. Fortunately I have roughly infinite time to figure that out.

I'm thinking about making an attempt to get ahold of George Broussard if the game ever goes gold and gets an official release date...

slash000 on
  • Options
    IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I think probably at least 85% of user maps had some combination of the words "city," "war," and "death" in them :P

Just kidding. Actually, 96% of user maps were houses. Houses of the guys creating the maps. That's UNIQUE AND CREATIVE! I want to duke it out in your house! What a clever death match map!

My best friend and I did this for Shadow Warrior (its Build was easier and had better features), however it wasn't just a crude model of his house (and my own, separate take on his), but some sort of twistedly insane fun-house, with secrets and madness everywhere. That door that led to a closet? Welcome to a room at the Hilton in Hawaii. Playing with the microwave? Hey fortune cookies! What's in the fridge? Apparently ... Antarctica? How does that work when the living room is on the other side of the wall!? Jump into the air conditioning unit? Is this a nuclear missile silo? The 6x10 back yard shed? It's a lot bigger on the inside. Want to take a bath? Huh, that's funny, I seem to be able to go underwater ... wait did I up come up out of a sink? My personal favorite touch was the secret of the living room recliner; it has machine guns which pop out of the arm rests to make it a gun turret.

The above were actually much more co-op maps since we very generously stocked the maps with insidiously placed monsters.

We also did a short series of combat maps abusing one of the new features from Shadow Warrior, vehicles. We wound up playing these the most. Among our highest achievements were a land-"submarine" an a motorcycle which left twin trails of flame. Additionally, due to our irreverence for sanity or limits of time and space in our design, I was able to accidentally shoot myself in the face with a nuclear missile.

We really abused that game engine. It was just begging for it, though.

IceBurner on
    3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    IceBurner wrote: »
    I think probably at least 85% of user maps had some combination of the words "city," "war," and "death" in them :P

Just kidding. Actually, 96% of user maps were houses. Houses of the guys creating the maps. That's UNIQUE AND CREATIVE! I want to duke it out in your house! What a clever death match map!

My best friend and I did this for Shadow Warrior (its Build was easier and had better features), however it wasn't just a crude model of his house (and my own, separate take on his), but some sort of twistedly insane fun-house, with secrets and madness everywhere. That door that led to a closet? Welcome to a room at the Hilton in Hawaii. Playing with the microwave? Hey fortune cookies! What's in the fridge? Apparently ... Antarctica? How does that work when the living room is on the other side of the wall!? Jump into the air conditioning unit? Is this a nuclear missile silo? The 6x10 back yard shed? It's a lot bigger on the inside. Want to take a bath? Huh, that's funny, I seem to be able to go underwater ... wait did I up come up out of a sink? My personal favorite touch was the secret of the living room recliner; it has machine guns which pop out of the arm rests to make it a gun turret.

The above were actually much more co-op maps since we very generously stocked the maps with insidiously placed monsters.

We also did a short series of combat maps abusing one of the new features from Shadow Warrior, vehicles. We wound up playing these the most. Among our highest achievements were a land-"submarine" an a motorcycle which left twin trails of flame. Additionally, due to our irreverence for sanity or limits of time and space in our design, I was able to accidentally shoot myself in the face with a nuclear missile.

We really abused that game engine. It was just begging for it, though.

This sounds pretty goddamn awesome. I downloaded the 5000+ Duke Nukem 3D maps from the link earlier in the thread and I plan on going through quite a lot of them soon so hopefully I'll find stuff similar to that. :D

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    jackaljackal Fuck Yes. That is an orderly anal warehouse. Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Hell, Prey finally got released after 11 years, so DNF may still happen. I wish I had kept the DNF PC Gamer.

jackal on