As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The American Presidency: Obama does not believe in prevent defense

• CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    McCain is up in West Virginia so it is probably no longer a swing state.
    Well, scratch West Virginia from the swing state list for the time being. Both Public Policy Polling and Mason-Dixon have new polling out in the state, and they give John McCain leads of 8 and 6 points respectively. It's possible that this is one of those areas where McCain's attacks on Barack Obama are having some resonance. It's also possible that the state was never all that close to begin with, and that the ARG poll from two weeks ago that gave Obama a substantial lead was one of those infamous ARG outliers. By no means is the state totally unwinnable for Obama -- and I'd still like to see what, say, Research 2000 or Rasmussen or SurveyUSA have to say about it -- but in all probability, it is pretty far from the tipping point.

Couscous on
  • PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Oh.
    God.
    VP candidate Palin introduces 'Ed the Dairyman,' promises lower taxes

By TIM KORTE , Associated Press

Last update: October 19, 2008 - 8:38 PM

ROSWELL, N.M. - Joe the Plumber, meet Ed the Dairyman.

Republican vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin spoke to a crowd of about 10,000 supporters Sunday in a Roswell airplane hangar, not only making a reference to Joe the Plumber, but alluding several times to "Ed the Dairyman" after seeing someone in the crowd holding a sign identifying himself that way.

She warned voters about Democratic plans to raise taxes "on America's hard-working families and our small businesses and a lot of folks just like Joe the Plumber and Ed the Dairyman out there."...

The McCain-Palin camp has heard of vetting right? I mean the guy is probably an illegal immigrant child rapist that had helped Cindy McCain smuggle drugs at this point right? And do we really want more "X the Y" "real Americans"?

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • seasleepyseasleepy Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I think this may get some play. Not from the campaign directly, obviously, but this is something people will be emailing around most likely.
    Also from the article:
    In March 2007, as Mr. McCain was making his second bid for the Republican nomination, The Times began asking his campaign for permission to speak with the senator and his doctors, citing the history of such interviews.

On May 6, 2008, Jill Hazelbaker, a McCain spokeswoman, denied the requests, writing in an e-mail message that The Times was “not at the top of the list” and including a link to a Times editorial that had criticized Mr. McCain for not disclosing health information and Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton of New York for not disclosing financial records.
    Yeah, take that, media. How dare you criticize us for not releasing McCain's medical records and then ask us for them again later. The McCain campaign's dickery towards the press is really paying off.

Also, I don't think this got linked from yesterday. It's fantastic.

seasleepy on
    Steam | Nintendo: seasleepy | PSN: seasleepy1
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2008
    Reminds me of the "Salute to real American heroes" commercials. Budweiser, wasn't it?

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
    edited October 2008
    Obama/Biden/whoever needs to say, "I am not just fighting for Ed the Dairyman and other specific people that are supposed to represent a huge group of Americans; I am fighting for everybody."

Couscous on
  • SamSam Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    moniker wrote: »
    Sam wrote: »
    It actually stuns me to not see Obama take him to task on it. If it's easy enough for me to figure out by just doing a little digging, why can't Obama just point it out? I did drink during all the debates but I recall feeling frustrated that Obama wasn't refuting along those lines whenever Mccain started chewing the cud.

It takes more than 30 seconds to explain and make a point. He may have wrapped it into his stump speech with the broader discussion of tax cuts and the economy and abloo, but nobody cares about stump speeches.

"Senator MCcain claims that my plan raises taxes on small business owners. This is patently false- he refers to those that file their small business income as personal income for taxation reasons. These hard working individuals are entirely capable of and will have every incentive to declare their own actual salary from their profits as personal income, which gets them a tax cut, and file the income their businesses bring in under the appropriate scheduling where no small or medium business will see any kind of increase. My opponent, in his desperation to undermine a policy that would be beneficial to the vast majority of talented, hard working individuals who pay taxes is relying on people not looking into his claims, looking into their own options for taxation scheduling. But John you have to realize, this won't work, not here, not today. Because our people, after having been lied to for 8 years are going to demand and pursue the truth they deserve."

Sam on
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    [cynicism]163 words is about 140 too many.[/cynicism]

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    How many "Joe the (insert skilled labor job here)" things are they planning on doing, anyway? With Joe the Plumber and Ed the Dairyman, it sounds like the McCain rallies are more like a really, really nasty bizarro version of Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood.

Duffel on
    edited October 2008
    [cynicism]163 words is about 140 too many.[/cynicism]

Unless the small businessmen are retarded, they won't see a tax increase.

Couscous on
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    PantsB wrote: »
    Oh.
    God.
    VP candidate Palin introduces 'Ed the Dairyman,' promises lower taxes

By TIM KORTE , Associated Press

Last update: October 19, 2008 - 8:38 PM

ROSWELL, N.M. - Joe the Plumber, meet Ed the Dairyman.

Republican vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin spoke to a crowd of about 10,000 supporters Sunday in a Roswell airplane hangar, not only making a reference to Joe the Plumber, but alluding several times to "Ed the Dairyman" after seeing someone in the crowd holding a sign identifying himself that way.

She warned voters about Democratic plans to raise taxes "on America's hard-working families and our small businesses and a lot of folks just like Joe the Plumber and Ed the Dairyman out there."...

The McCain-Palin camp has heard of vetting right? I mean the guy is probably an illegal immigrant child rapist that had helped Cindy McCain smuggle drugs at this point right? And do we really want more "X the Y" "real Americans"?

Obama needs to get endorsed by Mike Rowe to shut all this up, doesn't he?

moniker on
    edited October 2008
    Duffel wrote: »
    How many "Joe the (insert skilled labor job here)" things are they planning on doing, anyway? With Joe the Plumber and Ed the Dairyman, it sounds like the McCain rallies are more like a really, really nasty bizarro version of Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood.

I think they need four more guys for a full group

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    edited October 2008
    Duffel wrote: »

Today on Mr. McCain's Neighborhood, we have learned about talking with people you don't like. Remember, you don't talk with people you dislike because that shows weakness.

Couscous on
  • SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Couscous wrote: »
    Obama/Biden/whoever needs to say, "I am not just fighting for Ed the Dairyman and other specific people that are supposed to represent a huge group of Americans; I am fighting for everybody."

"I'm not campaigning for the plumber America, or the Dairy America. I'm campaigning for the United States of America!"

Schrodinger on
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2008
    Well, scratch West Virginia from the swing state list for the time being. Both Public Policy Polling and Mason-Dixon have new polling out in the state, and they give John McCain leads of 8 and 6 points respectively. It's possible that this is one of those areas where McCain's attacks on Barack Obama are having some resonance. It's also possible that the state was never all that close to begin with, and that the ARG poll from two weeks ago that gave Obama a substantial lead was one of those infamous ARG outliers. By no means is the state totally unwinnable for Obama -- and I'd still like to see what, say, Research 2000 or Rasmussen or SurveyUSA have to say about it -- but in all probability, it is pretty far from the tipping point.

It's all going alone with my plan, wherein Nebraska becomes the deciding state since it splits it's electoral votes.
    electoralmap.png

*evil scientist laugh*

FyreWulff on
  • HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    FyreWulff wrote: »

It's all going alone with my plan, wherein Nebraska becomes the deciding state since it splits it's electoral votes.
    electoralmap.png

*evil scientist laugh*

Sorry dude, Iowa isn't going to vote for anti-ethanol John McCain. You'll have to find 7 other electoral votes for the old man.

Edit: You can give him Connecticut and all its Joementum.

Hedgethorn on
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    so.. this is only slightly related to the Presidents race, but it's a question that's been bugging me lately.

I work at WalMart. And I think I saw that there were others working there too.

Have any of the others that are working at Walmart, or similar stores, been encouraged to vote Republican due to the Union issue?

I keep hearing rumors of stores putting, not exactly pressure, but something close to it.

Also... what's the Pie story?

lonelyahava on
    edited October 2008
    Hedgethorn wrote: »

electoralmap.png

*evil scientist laugh*

Sorry dude, Iowa isn't going to vote for anti-ethanol John McCain. You'll have to find 7 other electoral votes for the old man.

Except Bush won Iowa last time.

2004countymap-final.gif

FyreWulff on
  • TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    so.. this is only slightly related to the Presidents race, but it's a question that's been bugging me lately.

Have any of the others that are working at Walmart, or similar stores, been encouraged to vote Republican due to the Union issue?

I keep hearing rumors of stores putting, not exactly pressure, but something close to it.

I work at Wal-Mart, and yeah, they took supervisors to meetings and basically told them "Unions are evil" and the "the Democrats are pro-Union", therefore....

TheBlackWind on
    PAD ID - 328,762,218
    edited October 2008
    McCain isn't Bush. He just shares most of his policies except for a few that include one that Iowans love.

Couscous on
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Have you seen an Iowa poll this cycle FyreWulff? It's a blowout.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

electoralmap.png

*evil scientist laugh*

2004countymap-final.gif

That was a long 4 years ago.

moniker on
    edited October 2008

electoralmap.png

*evil scientist laugh*

2004countymap-final.gif

They essentially stopped polling Iowa this month because Obama is up double digits.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008

I work at Wal-Mart, and yeah, they took supervisors to meetings and basically told them "Unions are evil" and the "the Democrats are pro-Union", therefore....

I know that my Department Manager went to a meeting that she told me was basically a workshop to teach the DMs how to "Convince your employees that they don't want a Union".

The most she did when she came back from that was tell us what they wanted her to.

But... I've been hearing things about actual.. pressure happening. like Pressue, with a capital P

lonelyahava on
  • Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    It actually stuns me to not see Obama take him to task on it. If it's easy enough for me to figure out by just doing a little digging, why can't Obama just point it out? I did drink during all the debates but I recall feeling frustrated that Obama wasn't refuting along those lines whenever Mccain started chewing the cud.

It takes more than 30 seconds to explain and make a point. He may have wrapped it into his stump speech with the broader discussion of tax cuts and the economy and abloo, but nobody cares about stump speeches.

"Senator MCcain claims that my plan raises taxes on small business owners. This is patently false- he refers to those that file their small business income as personal income for taxation reasons.

Your average American is probably asleep at this point. All they hear is the part in bold.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
    edited October 2008

Do you actually live next to Iowa?

Polls don't mean shit. Fuck, we have polls daily because Gallup is based here. People just want them out of their face.

FyreWulff on
    edited October 2008
    Polls don't mean shit.
    In that case, Obama will win TEXAS!!!!!! I mean, a bunch of Democrats have won that state.

Couscous on
    edited October 2008

Polls don't mean shit. Fuck, we have polls daily because Gallup is based here. People just want them out of their face.

Alternately because you like folksy anecdotes instead of you know, reality: Obama met basically every human being in the state of Iowa. They seem to like him a lot and took ownership of his campaign.

He will win Iowa.

enlightenedbum on
    edited October 2008

Alternately because you like folksy anecdotes instead of you know, reality: Obama met basically every human being in the state of Iowa. They seem to like him a lot and took ownership of his campaign.

He will win Iowa.

He actually also came to Nebraska, which is why he trounced Hillary here.

Kerry was also up and 'supposed' to win Iowa.

Democrats should win more elections in this area but they always do something to fuck it up, like entirely withdrawing from the state and leaving their candidate to fend for himself..

FyreWulff on
  • plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Can an employer get in trouble for trying to influence the vote of its staff like this?

plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    plufim wrote: »

Can an employer get in trouble for trying to influence the vote of its staff like this?

Short answer? Yes.

Long answer? No.

mcdermott on
  • His CorkinessHis Corkiness Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    She warned voters about Democratic plans to raise taxes "on America's hard-working families and our small businesses and a lot of folks just like Joe the Plumber and Ed the Dairyman out there."
    Why does she lie? Why does the fucking idiot lie?

His Corkiness on
    edited October 2008

He will win Iowa.

Democrats should win more elections in this area but they always do something to fuck it up, like entirely withdrawing from the state and leaving their candidate to fend for himself..

Are you referring to Scott Kleeb, by any chance?

enlightenedbum on
    edited October 2008

He will win Iowa.

Are you referring to Scott Kleeb, by any chance?

No, Jim Esch (who I'm voting for). He would have had a chance, but the party sent everyone over to Iowa to do battle, and when people saw him winning early on, they actually got off their asses and voted Terry back in. Remember how the Democrats needed 'just one seat'? Yeah, they could have easily gotten it from Nebraska.

This time they're actually putting some money behind him.

FyreWulff on
    edited October 2008
    mcdermott wrote: »
    plufim wrote: »

Short answer? Yes.

Long answer? No.

Sigh. That's what I expected.

It always bothers me that unions are often all painted with the "evil, anti-buisness" brush. Unions have done some incredibly important things for workers rights world wide. The political right always hates them though (especially here in australia), despite the fact that the majority of workers are employees, not employers.

plufim on
    steam_sig.png
  • PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    She warned voters about Democratic plans to raise taxes "on America's hard-working families and our small businesses and a lot of folks just like Joe the Plumber and Ed the Dairyman out there."

Because people are stupid and will believe anything if it's repeated often enough?

PolloDiablo on
  • His CorkinessHis Corkiness Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Because people are stupid and will believe anything if it's repeated often enough?

Yeah :(

His Corkiness on
    edited October 2008

He will win Iowa.

The RCP index on Iowa in 2004 had Bush up .3%. He won by .67%.
    The RCP index on Iowa in 2008 has Obama up 11.8%.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    PantsB wrote: »

He will win Iowa.

The RCP index on Iowa in 2004 had Bush up .3%. He won by .67%.
    The RCP index on Iowa in 2008 has Obama up 11.8%.

It takes a lot of fucking up to kill a lead like that.

I don't think Obama knows how to fuck up that hard.

mcdermott on
    edited October 2008

Yeah :(

Even if Obama used his money bin (ducktales, woo) to fund an add campaign that layed out in simple terms why his proposed tax system is better for small buisness, and had it play every ad break on every major channel, it wouldn't change many minds. A lot of people who believe this seem to be those who'll not believe what obama says anyway. He could point out over and over sarah is lying, and it just would not matter for a lot of people.

plufim on
    steam_sig.png
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

electoralmap.png

*evil scientist laugh*

2004countymap-final.gif

Ack. That map makes me feel... ill.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
This discussion has been closed.