As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Oh to be a booth babe~

ShinyvashShinyvash Registered User new member
edited November 2008 in PAX Archive
I have scoured the internet looking for information on "How to become a booth babe" and there is just no information! This year I saw some really pretty ones and was happy, but talking with some of them I came to realize that many didn't know about the games, or games in general.
So the logical conclusion I came to was "If I'm a hot chick (you'll have to trust me on this one for now)... and actually like gaming... what more could I want than to be a booth babe!" the answers I came up with were few and far between so I set out on my quest.
Apparently one harder to accomplish than I had originally thought. Any information on this could be appreciated, and used for the greater good of all nerds, myself included!
So I implore oh forum of nerds! Help me accomplish my nerdy goals and we can have booth babes and gamers alike, conversing and photo oping all around!
This Utopia can be ours!

Shinyvash on

• Options
    MurphysParadoxMurphysParadox Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    A booth babe is someone hired by a game company to stand around looking pretty and talking about their game. Thus, I would contact the companies with games you want to help sell and ask if you could do this for them. Provide them with some head shots (hmm, that term has other meanings here, doesn't it?) and a resume if you have any modeling OR video game company experience (developer, designer, tester, etc). Treat it like any other job; albeit a short term gig.

MurphysParadox on
    Murphy's Law: Whatever can go wrong will go wrong.
    Murphy's Paradox: The more you plan, the more that can go wrong. The less you plan, the less likely your plan will succeed.
  • Options
    ACC3SSACC3SS Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    This would be a blog I would read...
    ^.^

ACC3SS on
  • Options
    LigerLiger Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Get a spot with a modeling agent who deals with this type of job. Most models these days work through agents to get noticed for any kind of position. Also, check Craigslist. There were quite a few listings for working booths at PAX this year.

Liger on
    5932306549_6b4d957b56.jpg CUSTOM LANYARDS FOR PAX
  • Options
    BrokenAngelBrokenAngel Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Are we SERIOUSLY starting the booth babe conversation again? ::sigh::

BrokenAngel on
    k9mk2carn.pngeleventhdoc2carn.png *Proud Head Girl of Slytherin & Team Red*
  • Options
    RavengerRavenger Trolololo Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    *begins setting up a flame stand*

Ravenger on
    <@heels&gt; Ravenger: i do not talk to anyone
    <+Ravenger> you are talking to me
    <@heels&gt; oh god, what am i doing
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Ravenger wrote: »
    *begins setting up a flame stand*

Oh, hot.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited October 2008
    If all you have to contribute is "OH MAN YOU'RE GOING TO GET FLAMED" or whatever, don't bother. The forum does not require backseat moderation.

Tube on
  • Options
    collinccollinc Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    From my understanding they don't want "booth babes" at PAX. But I don't think they have a problem with attractive women around the booth who are also knowledgeable about the game. So I would imagine there would be a company willing to hire you.

But fair warning to you. I read a story once where a journalist asked a girl what it was like to be a booth babe. She told him to sniff her shoulder. He described it in very negative ways. Apparently non-hygienic nerds like to take pictures of booth babes with their arms around them.

collinc on
    Free cake. Inquire within.
  • Options
    GeneralsGenerals Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    collinc wrote: »
    From my understanding they don't want "booth babes" at PAX. But I don't think they have a problem with attractive women around the booth who are also knowledgeable about the game. So I would imagine there would be a company willing to hire you.

But fair warning to you. I read a story once where a journalist asked a girl what it was like to be a booth babe. She told him to sniff her shoulder. He described it in very negative ways. Apparently non-hygienic nerds like to take pictures of booth babes with their arms around them.

Is there a link to the story by any chance? I would be more than curious.

Seeing booth babes is the last thing I would do in a gaming convention. There's always the web or the clubs or any social places if people are so thirsty for women.

Generals on
    jsn: and there was some dude(note that: DUDE) dressed up as Mai from KOF
    Jeff: I see
    jsn: and I was like "I wonder how he goes to the washroom, does he just like...brush his loincloth to the side or what?"
    jsn: friend was like "DUDE he's BEHIND YOU"
  • Options
    collinccollinc Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    No, I'm sorry it was months ago and I have no clue where I read it. And it had nothing to do with PAX. It would have been about E3 or TGS.

collinc on
    Free cake. Inquire within.
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Generals wrote: »
    Seeing booth babes is the last thing I would do in a gaming convention. There's always the web or the clubs or any social places if people are so thirsty for women.

See that's my view on it too, it simply doesn't belong at PAX. It's insulting and quite offensive to a good percentage of the attendees. It made me honestly disappointed to see so many this year, I really hope they get the issue straightend out this coming year and make the "No booth babes rule" QUITE clear to all the exibitors.

BrokenAngel on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    A booth babe is not a year-long job. They're just one-off gigs for people at modeling agencies or people who respond to want ads.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    A booth babe is not a year-long job. They're just one-off gigs for people at modeling agencies or people who respond to want ads.
    This. It'd be an advantage if you lived in a city where a lot of conventions are held, or are willing to travel and stay over night . The best thing to do would be to get in touch with the convention organisers a few months before it starts and ask around, checking on their websites would be a good idea too.

Liiya on
  • Options
    LigerLiger Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Liiya wrote: »
    This. It'd be an advantage if you lived in a city where a lot of conventions are held, or are willing to travel and stay over night . The best thing to do would be to get in touch with the convention organisers a few months before it starts and ask around, checking on their websites would be a good idea too.

Convention organizers, as far as I know, do not deal with who works for each vendor. The vendor hires their own babes to stand in the expo hall. At conventions like PAX where booth babes are generally not welcome, you would do better to get a job at the vendor company in tech, sales, marketing, etc. and express interest in dressing up for trade shows.

Liger on
    5932306549_6b4d957b56.jpg CUSTOM LANYARDS FOR PAX
  • Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Liger wrote: »

Convention organizers, as far as I know, do not deal with who works for each vendor. The vendor hires their own babes to stand in the expo hall. At conventions like PAX where booth babes are generally not welcome, you would do better to get a job at the vendor company in tech, sales, marketing, etc. and express interest in dressing up for trade shows.
    Ah, I mean to try and find out which vendors are there before hand sorry. You're right though, different conventions probably work different ways.

Liiya on
  • Options
    b0wserb0wser PAX HHL Deputy Manager CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    It's insulting and quite offensive to a good percentage of the attendees.

but so is a rather strong lack of hygienic practice, darling. I don't think there's anything changing on that battlefront, so I don't expect the "booth babe" situation to change. We just really need to be glad that there's at least some air conditioning at the WSCTC, or this would be a far larger problem than it is.

b0wser on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    b0wser wrote: »
    It's insulting and quite offensive to a good percentage of the attendees.

but so is a rather strong lack of hygienic practice, darling. I don't think there's anything changing on that battlefront, so I don't expect the "booth babe" situation to change. We just really need to be glad that there's at least some air conditioning at the WSCTC, or this would be a far larger problem than it is.

I'm not saying it will or wont happen, I'm saying it SHOULDN'T happen. But just giving up on things never gets anything done ^.^

::hugs:: Also why are you never in IRC anymore? Wait... neither am I >.>

BrokenAngel on
  • Options
    SumiSumi Abbotsford, BCRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Liger wrote: »

I agree. Then you would be a legitimate human being.

Sumi on
    Standard Action, it's a webseries.
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    There are a lack of pictures in this thread.

That_Guy on
  • Options
    SWATJesterSWATJester Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    What kind of booth babe do you want to be: the kind that is knowledgeable about games, or the kind that is just eye-candy? For the former, get a job at a PR company that represents companies in the industry. For the latter, get a job with a modeling company that does game industry trade shows.

SWATJester on
    Moderator, PAX Prime 08, 09, 10, 10-East, panels on "Legal Issues in Gaming"
    Contributing Editor, http://www.gamepolitics.com
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I'd also check local Craigslist listings regularly starting a month or two before the convention. I have a number of friends who got booth babe-y jobs at Comic-Con this way.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • Options
    edited November 2008
  • Options
    BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    [4chan]
    tits or gtfo?
    [/4chan]

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    BigRed wrote: »
    [4chan]
    tits or gtfo?
    [/4chan]

Sadly that about sums up the whole booth babe idea entirely.

BrokenAngel on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    BigRed wrote: »
    [4chan]
    tits or gtfo?
    [/4chan]

Sadly that about sums up the whole booth babe idea entirely.

I didn't want to come right out and say it, but yeah.

That_Guy on
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited November 2008
    well this thread has run its course

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

This discussion has been closed.