As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Basic cable from cable-internet-only service?

KupulaKupula Registered User regular
Ok, so I don't watch much TV at all, and I was considering getting rid of my cable tv subscription, but keeping the cable internet service. My understanding is that I can still get basic cable off of the cable line, as the cable company is unable to block that signal while still providing internet access. Does anyone have experience with this? Would I still get comedy central, sci-fi, etc? Thanks for the help.

Kupula on

• Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Some cable-co's will keep the major network feeds active, just because they're broadcast OTA anyhow, and if you keep your TV hooked up to their lines it's one more chance that you'll resubscribe. That's fine.

Some installers forget to apply the filters, and you'll still end up getting more channels than that. That's a grey area - they're broadcasting the signals after you told them to stop, and YMMV on the legality of passively receiving an unsolicited transmission. They might decide that you removed the filters yourself, and then you're in trouble if you can't prove otherwise.

[strike]Come the digital switch in February, I'm pretty sure you won't be getting jack-shit.[/strike] Disregard that, I suck cocks

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    ZackSchillingZackSchilling Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    The digital switch has nothing to do with cable. The digital switch has nothing to do with cable. The digital switch has nothing to do with cable. The digital switch has nothing to do with cable.

The digital switch has nothing to do with cable.

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    The digital switch has nothing to do with cable. The digital switch has nothing to do with cable. The digital switch has nothing to do with cable. The digital switch has nothing to do with cable.

I'm not sure what you're getting at...
    :P

KalTorak on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    IIRC, there's a vaguely-worded FTC regulation that says that distributors (satellite/cable) are only allowed to retransmit OTA feeds from large networks, rather than change them. If the OTA feed is suddenly digital, they'd have to run it through a DAC to push it through Ye Olde Analog Systems, which would be "changing the signal" and so they're going to stop doing it.

IIRC, but IANAL and YMMV, so STFU and GOMN.

PeregrineFalcon on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2008
    Uh, no. They already push digital cable through the same coax inputs. Nothing is going to change if you have a cable subscription. In fact, you're not eligible for the converter box vouchers if you have cable.

Also that's the first I've ever heard of still sending the basic cable down the line. I only have phone and internet from mine and I'm pretty sure I cannot get any cable off them.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Sometimes they'll forget to filter out the basic cable channels, sometimes they won't. Mine is filtered, for instance, but my friend who lives a block away and has the same cable provider is not, even though we both pay only for internet.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    Uh, no. They already push digital cable through the same coax inputs. Nothing is going to change if you have a cable subscription. In fact, you're not eligible for the converter box vouchers if you have cable.

IANAEngineer either, although I play one in TF2, but he's asking what happens if he doesn't have a cable subscription and tries to plug into the wall.
    Also that's the first I've ever heard of still sending the basic cable down the line. I only have phone and internet from mine and I'm pretty sure I cannot get any cable off them.

It's provider-specific methinks, I know I got the OTA channels back when I had cable internet. Hell, could be Canada-specific.

PeregrineFalcon on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2008
    Well, either he's going to get some cable channels, or his OTA reception may improve due to the line acting as an antennae.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    ZackSchillingZackSchilling Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    IIRC, there's a vaguely-worded FTC regulation that says that distributors (satellite/cable) are only allowed to retransmit OTA feeds from large networks, rather than change them. If the OTA feed is suddenly digital, they'd have to run it through a DAC to push it through Ye Olde Analog Systems, which would be "changing the signal" and so they're going to stop doing it.

I think that running it through a DAC and pushing it through Ye Olde analog system is what they're right doing now and what they will continue to do when the switchover happens.

Don't you think we would have heard something by now from the cable industry lobby if some technicality in a consumer protection law was going to mean interruption of all broadcast networks for the millions and millions of analog cable users?

Besides, from DTV.gov:

"Cable companies are not required by the government to switch their privately-owned systems from analog service to digital service. Cable companies are actually required by FCC rules to continue offering local broadcast stations to their customers in analog as long as they offer any analog service. This requirement will continue for at least three years after February 17, 2009. This means that customers who receive analog cable service (without a cable set-top box) will be able to continue to do so."

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2008

I think that running it through a DAC and pushing it through Ye Olde analog system is what they're right doing now and what they will continue to do when the switchover happens.

Don't you think we would have heard something by now from the cable industry lobby if some technicality in a consumer protection law was going to mean interruption of all broadcast networks for the millions and millions of analog cable users?

Besides, from DTV.gov:

"Cable companies are not required by the government to switch their privately-owned systems from analog service to digital service. Cable companies are actually required by FCC rules to continue offering local broadcast stations to their customers in analog as long as they offer any analog service. This requirement will continue for at least three years after February 17, 2009. This means that customers who receive analog cable service (without a cable set-top box) will be able to continue to do so."

Ah. Well then. Post amended.

PeregrineFalcon on
  • Options
    CF1CF1 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Kupula wrote: »
    as the cable company is unable to block that signal while still providing internet access. Does anyone have experience with this? Would I still get comedy central, sci-fi, etc? Thanks for the help.

The cable company is quite able to block the television part of the signal using filters. Whether or not it happens is entirely another story based on if the cable guy puts the filter on the line when they get the work order.

Note that in some areas, depending on company, this may not make you eligible for speedier internet services and may actually raise your monthly bill. I would advise asking for information on a "limited basic" television service and see what the price difference is, then hope they don't put a filter on. But you should find out the price for internet only, I'll bet it goes up compared to what you're paying for internet now.

CF1 on
  • Options
    ghost_master2000ghost_master2000 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

What the f:...:?

ghost_master2000 on
  • Options
    zanetheinsanezanetheinsane Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    So this digital switch...
    does it have anything to do with cable?
    :winky:

zanetheinsane on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

What the f:...:?

In order:

If I Recall Correctly
    I Am Not A Lawyer
    Your Mileage May Vary
    Shut The Fuck Up
    Get Off My Nuts

PeregrineFalcon on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    huh, so is that why I've been getting free cable for 7 years? When my grandma died they canceled the cable subscription, but the TVs still get it.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Evan WatersEvan Waters Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Does this company have a plan where you can just have cable internet and basic channels, no digital tier stuff?

Evan Waters on
  • Options
    lilBlilB Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Kupula wrote: »
    Ok, so I don't watch much TV at all, and I was considering getting rid of my cable tv subscription, but keeping the cable internet service. My understanding is that I can still get basic cable off of the cable line, as the cable company is unable to block that signal while still providing internet access. Does anyone have experience with this? Would I still get comedy central, sci-fi, etc? Thanks for the help.

I currently have cable internet without any television service so it can be done.

lilB on
  • Options
    FaceballMcDougalFaceballMcDougal Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I get 60 some-odd channels for the price of just internet

it all depends on the cable company's level of sophistication, your position on the line, and the willingness of the cable company to get out to your house to install a filter when you cancel the TV

FaceballMcDougal on
    xbl/psn/steam: jabbertrack
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Does this company have a plan where you can just have cable internet and basic channels, no digital tier stuff?

Nearly all do, though some don't offer the "subscriber discount" on internet if you go this route. We looked into it, and we'd basically only save about $10 by going this route over basic cable and internet combined, and really basic cable is well worth $10 a month if only for shit like news channels and local networks without fussing with an antenna.

Mainly because cable companies nearly always charge anybody who doesn't receive another service from them more for internet. Though often you can package a phone line with it instead and still get a discount, and likely pay less than you would for phone+DSL.
    I get 60 some-odd channels for the price of just internet

it all depends on the cable company's level of sophistication, your position on the line, and the willingness of the cable company to get out to your house to install a filter when you cancel the TV

Exactly. Basic analog channels are put out broadcast on the line, and really the cable company has no way of shutting these off without having a dude drive to your house and install a filter to block them. Whether or not they bother is a crap shoot.

As for keeping the OTA networks available, I don't know why they would. If they filter, they'll filter it all. Unless maybe in some areas (like Canada) they're required to keep providing these. I know up here my provider offers a "local basic" package that is only like 12 channels and includes mostly just the local networks (and, like CSPAN and maybe a couple others)...I see no reason they would give you a service for free that they charge for normally.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    KupulaKupula Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Thanks for the input, guys. Also, interesting debate on the implications of the digital switchover. But anyway, what I ended up doing is downgrading to the most basic cable, which is actually cheaper then not having cable and signing up for internet alone. Sneaky basdards. I kept my HD box, so I will still get the network channels in HD. My hope is that they never get around to adding the filters for the extended cable, and I get to have the basic cable channels due to the oversight.

Kupula on