As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

There's no Halloween in Silent Hill!

1234568»

• PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Phonehand wrote: »
    Redeemer wrote: »
    Ugh I hate the enemies in this game

They're so... vicious?

I'm used to being able to run around them but these dudes are on your tail all the time

I dislike that you are forced to fight most of the enemies. There is really just no way around them.

I disagree. I spent like 75% of the game running. Any time on the streets, most of the hotel, the entirety of the police station.

I was all about conservation of ammo

Poorochondriac on
  • RedeemerRedeemer Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    The police station was an absolute trial for me

Those split head things were everywhere

Redeemer on
    25jyxzr.jpg
  • PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    The police station was an absolute trial for me

Those split head things were everywhere

And right after a boss fight, too. Without even giving the courtesy of healing you up some.

Hence my "run like hell and pray" method of going through it.

Poorochondriac on
    edited October 2008
    I've been listening to the music and I think the vocal songs are pretty disappointing. There's nothing that really immediately pops, the way You're Not Here or Hole In The Sky did. They all just sorta... sound the same

The box art for the japanese version is so awesome though:

news077shhjpps3dc7.jpg

Redeemer on
    25jyxzr.jpg
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Freaky, but I think I kind of like the simplicity of the US one.

Something as simple as a family portrait isn't something I would expect to make it onto a US cover.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • futilityfutility Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2008
    I still don't know what I think about 5. It's creepy sure... that's about it. They did a pretty good job at making an ok creepy game.

I was annoyed a lot that it seems my Alex knows a lot more about what's going on than I do.

All the combat feels difficult and repetitive (fuck the hammer head guys!)

And every time there's a cut scene that features people talking it just looks sooo bad.

futility on
    edited October 2008

Voice acting is really good

How far in the game were you when you said this?
    Because fuck if the exchange in the sewer right before the boss piss me off (that and having to hear it over and over and over and over again because I didn't mini-game fast enough)

futility on
    edited October 2008
    I'm actually stuck at the part right before the boss fight in the sewer, so I haven't heard this conversation yet

Looking forward to it though :|

Redeemer on
    25jyxzr.jpg
  • UrianUrian __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008
    I've been listening to the music and I think the vocal songs are pretty disappointing. There's nothing that really immediately pops, the way You're Not Here or Hole In The Sky did. They all just sorta... sound the same

The box art for the japanese version is so awesome though:

news077shhjpps3dc7.jpg

That's awesome but isn't PH in the game for only like one quick scene for 10 seconds?

Urian on
    edited October 2008
    Well I heard
    He makes a memorable appearance at the end of the game as well

I should really finish this :/

Redeemer on
    25jyxzr.jpg
  • UrianUrian __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008
    Yeah I gotta finish it too. I just finished Scarlet and haven't picked it back up since then.

Urian on
  • BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Is obscure any good (the second one I guess)?

Because it was on sale for wii and Im not sure If I want it but I havent played a horror game in sooo long.

Bedlam on
  • EinhanderEinhander __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008
    Bedlam wrote: »
    Is obscure any good (the second one I guess)?

Because it was on sale for wii and Im not sure If I want it but I havent played a horror game in sooo long.

The first one was pretty good, it's got co-op. Group of high school students trapped in a high school and there is a conspiracy and monsters etc etc. The game on it's own is ok, but it's pretty badass if you can wrangle someone along to play it with you.

I haven't played the sequel, but I guess a few retailers refused to stock it because one of the main characters (the kids from the first one are in college now) commits suicide. I've heard the Wii version blows compared to the PS2 version (something about how shitty the waggle is).

The first one is sorta hard to find though.

Einhander on
    edited October 2008
    I'm just past the first part that affects the game's ending... at that point was where I realized that i was disappointed with the game. It's not a bad game, but it just isn't where it should be.

I look to the silent hill games for really good character development and plot in a game with some tongue in cheek humor that isn't detrimental to the game. This one was just too vanilla in comparison to 1-3 (I haven't played 4 and understand that it just doesn't count).

For Homecoming tying the lore of the movie and previous games into it so that everything makes a little more sense was fine by me. The characters though seemed like they just didn't care. Alex's single minded pursuit of his brother had him ignoring the fact that he was walking around a place where blood was dripping from the walls. Sadly everyone else (even those who I guess were "in on why" seemed to ignore this too because they were either crazy or also singlemindedly pursuing some goal. Sure they go "oh shit a monster" but they could have been saying "oh shit a bear" too.
    Now I know in the silent hill games there's always this level of "maybe the main character is crazy and going on some killing spree through town... sadly in this game that level of depth just isn't there.

futility on
  • PhonehandPhonehand Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Just got to the
    cult members

i can only feel pure terror that this is going to go very far downhill
    i was really liking the stuff after the police station too

Phonehand on
    pmdunk.jpg
    edited October 2008
    So I just sat down and finished it tonight. Pretty good actually. One question though:
    If Alex wasn't really a soldier then how come he is such an excellent fighter? Also when Josh drowns, Alex looks like a total ass.

Phonehand on
    pmdunk.jpg
  • ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Eternal Darkness had the last word in survival horror.

Shorty on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Shorty wrote: »
    Eternal Darkness had the last word in survival horror.

It wasn't really a word though, just a bunch of maniacal laughter.

DarkPrimus on
    edited October 2008
    Eternal Darkness hasn't aged well

Redeemer on
    25jyxzr.jpg
  • DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Eternal Darkness hasn't aged well

MAY THE RATS EAT YOUR EYES

DodgeBlan on
    Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Synthetic OrangeSynthetic Orange Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    This'd be a good time for a bath.

Synthetic Orange on
    edited October 2008
    TUB TIME

oh wait

Redeemer on
    25jyxzr.jpg
  • DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    you should probably save the game as well

DodgeBlan on
    Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
    edited October 2008
    Yahtzee reviews Homecoming

It's not loading for me but I'm putting this post here as a reminder to myself when I get home

Redeemer on
    25jyxzr.jpg
    edited October 2008
    He hit on all my gripes about the game. Plus he has that jolly redub at the end. I feel a very fair review.

I am pretty pissed that there is a point near the end of the game that you make all of your decisions about which ending you are going to get but I saved over the first part. Sad.

Phonehand on
    pmdunk.jpg
    edited October 2008
    I actually finished this about a week ago, but here are my thoughts anyway

Curiously, the movie's influence really kick you in the face (literally!) half way through the game, which is when it starts getting interesting. And halfway through the movie, when it began to deviate from the game, is when the movie began to suck... I don't know, I thought that was interesting

As pretty and next-gen-y as this game is, the areas seemed surprisingly small. In SH1, by far the least technically impressive of the games, there was so much town to explore, plus the school and the hospital were huge! In Homecoming, there was like, a patch of Shepherd's Glen, a patch of Silent Hill, and a few rather minute buildings. It's an incredibly pretty game though.

As for the story itself
    First of all, duh. I called it from the moment I heard the premise, plus the interview from the team wanting to make it all like SH2.

When fans of the series say "we want more games like SH2", they don't mean, "make every subsequent game in this series exactly like SH2". Make the stories personal and involving, yes, but don't rip exactly what came before. Having every protagonist kill somebody they love and then deny it to themselves is boring. We've seen it before. And now we've seen it twice. It's stale, and above all, it reeks of "REMEMBER HOW MUCH YOU LOVED SH2? LOVE THIS GAME LIKE YOU LOVED THAT ONE" neediness.

That said, it's not like the story was bad, it's just, we've seen it before. And I'm not sure it was compelling enough to warrant a whole other game, you know?

I liked the game over all. I had fun playing it, the soundtrack was good (aside from some of the vocal songs) and it was really pretty to look at. But I want Team Silent back for 6.

Redeemer on
    25jyxzr.jpg
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I think this post was made with you in mind, Redeemer.

Slightly NSFW SH Art collection

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • CrashmoCrashmo Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I have some fantastic news. The copy of Silent Hill 2 I bought off of Amazon years ago that never worked in any of my PS2's turns out works just fine in my PS3.:^:

I want to play it really bad but I need to finish Bioshock first.

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg