As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Phalla]ctica: Day Nine: A Measure of Salvation (Cylon Victory)

• TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    You're supposed to be swayed by me. I have a mind RNG.

TheLawinator on
    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    What did this mean, Bunny?
    If you are killed, that does not necessarily mean the end for you.

Thetheroo on
  • Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    By the way, did we manage to fool you guys by jailing our own members to make them look less suspicious? Plut suggested we do that on day one, and we basically jailed one of us every day (and both myself and MacGuffin on one night to dodge the public eye).

Bliss 101 on
    MSL59.jpg
  • sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    As I don't have my master list available, I'm afraid a breakdown of roles et al will have to wait until tomorrow when I can hook up the old computer once again. Just got a brand spanking new one and haven't had time to set it up.

I'm honestly completely baffled by the luck the insurgent forces had, as far as the random number god goes. By all rights the Cylons should have slaughtered you all as of yesterday.

Aside from the insurgency leader and the fact that the cylons had quite a few abilities available to them, mechanics were fairly standard...something I'd fix next time, along with finding a way to reduce the luck factor.

Because holy hell, RNG God.

Really? Beacue by RNGing we should have hit at least ONE after day two. More like it was ridiculous how badly we MISSED, not that the Cyclons won. Honestly, if our Seer was any good (or didn't die), or MrB wasn't awful (No offense, but this went badly, right?), we would have won.

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
  • Ares of KobolAres of Kobol Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Thetheroo wrote: »
    What did this mean, Bunny?
    If you are killed, that does not necessarily mean the end for you.

I'll go into that when I do the postgame breakdown tomorrow. (alternatively, when I have access to my design document again).

Ares of Kobol on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I find it hilarious that the vote never hit any of us.

Thetheroo on
  • MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Bliss 101 wrote: »
    By the way, did we manage to fool you guys by jailing our own members to make them look less suspicious? Plut suggested we do that on day one, and we basically jailed one of us every day (and both myself and MacGuffin on one night to dodge the public eye).

After the first relevation of a jailed baddie, I tried my best not to use jailing as an indicator one way or another for guilt. I did seriously consider that you baddies would jail two of you on a given night as a possibility (otherwise I never would have voted for you) but in the end the possibility gave way to other evidence (which, as we all know now, was faulty).

EDIT:
    Thetheroo wrote: »
    I find it hilarious that the vote never hit any of us.

I find it utterly depressing. *sigh*

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
  • warbanwarban Who the Hoof do you think we are? Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

I would of expected this. Its what i would of done.

warban on
    ACE ✰ PONY ✰ DETECTIVE!
  • Ares of KobolAres of Kobol Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    As I don't have my master list available, I'm afraid a breakdown of roles et al will have to wait until tomorrow when I can hook up the old computer once again. Just got a brand spanking new one and haven't had time to set it up.

I'm honestly completely baffled by the luck the insurgent forces had, as far as the random number god goes. By all rights the Cylons should have slaughtered you all as of yesterday.

Aside from the insurgency leader and the fact that the cylons had quite a few abilities available to them, mechanics were fairly standard...something I'd fix next time, along with finding a way to reduce the luck factor.

Really? Beacue by RNGing we should have hit at least ONE after day two. More like it was ridiculous how badly we MISSED, not that the Cyclons won. Honestly, if our Seer was any good (or didn't die), or MrB wasn't awful (No offense, but this went badly, right?), we would have won.

In the last two days four cylons were killed by random numbers. I'd say that counts.

Ares of Kobol on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008

In the last two days four cylons were killed by random numbers. I'd say that counts.

yes, but given that we should have had TWO before that by RNG/decent luck (guesstimating, tell me if I'm off), we woudl have had two more alive at that point and not gotten stomped so badly.

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
  • ecco the dolphinecco the dolphin Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    yes, but given that we should have had TWO before that by RNG/decent luck (guesstimating, tell me if I'm off), we woudl have had two more alive at that point and not gotten stomped so badly.

You win some, you lose some. Sometimes you don't have decent luck, and the village vote never hits a mafia member. This was, apparently, one of those times.

Bitter times.

Live and learn. :P

Edit: Nah, actually had a good time. I might continue with randomly themed daily posts in the future.

Thanks for running this, Hylianbunny!

ecco the dolphin on
    Penny Arcade Developers at PADev.net.
  • Toxic ToysToxic Toys Are you really taking my advice? Really?Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    The vote never hitting one of us was just awesome. That is just some thing I don't see that often in a game.

Toxic Toys on
    3DS code: 2938-6074-2306, Nintendo Network ID: ToxicToys, PSN: zutto
    edited October 2008

You win some, you lose some. Sometimes you don't have decent luck, and the village vote never hits a mafia member. This was, apparently, one of those times.

Bitter times.

Live and learn. :P

Agreed, I was just saying that the point that the CYCLONS had bad RNG luck was kind of not factual. There was aBUNCH of them left at that point!

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
    edited October 2008
    Well, if there's one minor victory I can take, it's having two more-or-less successful Insurgent Raid battles and at least letting a partially successful escape. It at least leaves open the potential for a third Phallastar game, haha.

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
  • ExarchExarch Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Man, being jailed and hearing people talk about jail as if it made you innocent automatically made me want to scream.

Also, god damn killer toilet! My favorite death since the LotR game.

Interesting game HB, I'm definitely interested to see the mechanics, since it felt like a lot was going on behind the scenes. Top notch narrations especially.

Exarch on
    No gods or kings, only man.
    LoL: BunyipAristocrat
  • EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

The firefight is fierce, with weapons fire painting every inch of the corridor as the insurgency attempts to make their escape. The Cylons are not taking kindly to their intrusion. Flattening themselves against the walls, the insurgency retreats, daring to move only so often and to return fire even less so. B:L and Egos are covering the rear of the force and while they attempt to turn a corner in order to lose enemy pursuit, stray fire hits a power main above their heads. Egos falls, his body riddled with shrapnel. B:L too stumbles to the ground, blood pouring out of his eyes. He fires blindly at the sound of Cylon footsteps, hoping to stave off their pursuit so that his comrades may escape. Their screams echo down the hallway as the rest of the insurgency retreats.

At least B:L and I got relatively cool deaths 8-)

Egos on
    edited October 2008
    MrBlarney wrote: »
    Well, if there's one minor victory I can take, it's having two more-or-less successful Insurgent Raid battles and at least letting a partially successful escape. It at least leaves open the potential for a third Phallastar game, haha.

Man, don't take it hard. You did the best you could with what you had. :)

See it more as that the police and cylons out-craftied/out-played the village.

ecco the dolphin on
  • crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I thought I was pegged when Blarney PM'd me about what Zellpher told him.

I'm glad I didn't mention to him that Zellpher PM'd me at the end of Day 1 asking why I didn't die. I'm still unsure of what happened.

crimsoncoyote on
    edited October 2008
    I thought I was pegged when Blarney PM'd me about what Zellpher told him.

I'm glad I didn't mention to him that Zellpher PM'd me at the end of Day 1 asking why I didn't die. I'm still unsure of what happened.

It was very helpful of him though. Allowed us to nail both vigs early on. :)

Bliss 101 on
    MSL59.jpg
    edited October 2008

Addendum. I just feel bad that even though I was all pumped to be leader for the game, I ended up being rather incompetent at finding baddies. The village ended up 0 / 8 with the vote, 2 / 6 with called kills (Romantic Undead and FrostMist). 5 of the baddie kills were from the insurgent raids, and 2 were from suicide bomber collateral... very much out of the village's control. *sigh* Win some, lose some. I need some serious training.

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
  • HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    We loved HamHamJ's analysis. While I think his basic reasoning was solid, his list just happened to peg only innocents. I wanted to endorse his line of reasoning even more, but didn't dare in case why ulterior motives become too obvious. :)

D:

Good Game though I guess. Kinda.

HamHamJ on
    While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
    edited October 2008
    I'm still perplexed as to why I didn't die though.

crimsoncoyote on
    edited October 2008

Addendum. I just feel bad that even though I was all pumped to be leader for the game, I ended up being rather incompetent at finding baddies. The village ended up 0 / 8 with the vote, 2 / 6 with called kills (Romantic Undead and FrostMist). 5 of the baddie kills were from the insurgent raids, and 2 were from suicide bomber collateral... very much out of the village's control. *sigh* Win some, lose some. I need some serious training.

To be fair, apparently both vigs made themselves known to the police, who then promptly jailed them and took them out. If circumstances had been different, you would've had way more controlled kills and more info to play with.

ecco the dolphin on
    edited October 2008

I take it hard personally since I was there the whole way, and I was played by so many badguys just by messaging me. What irritated me about the last two days was that I had to prod some people into action, to give me their trusted/suspicious lists. Even when people said that they had no clue what was going on (and this described many of us villagers), at least you could try to give me some names...

I would like to try the trust/suspicious thing again in a different game to see if some sort of 'system' could be made of it. Didn't quite work in this game, but maybe with more data, it'll work better in the next.

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Orange SodaOrange Soda Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I am still pissed you got me killed because I was one of only two people who would guard you for no reason on Day 1, so you all were like "well he might be the guard so kill him!"

See if I ever guard you first turn for no reason again.

edit: this is directed at CrimsonCoyote

Orange Soda on
    edited October 2008

Well I'm sorely tempted to run a BSG game again when my turn to run a main comes, so you may get your redemption. :)

Bliss 101 on
    MSL59.jpg
    edited October 2008
    I really liked your trust suspicion list thing.. That is right up my kind of paranoia ally.

Orange Soda on
  • EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Even when people said that they had no clue what was going on (and this described many of us villagers), at least you could try to give me some names...

I gave you some names :) Though I didn't do a great job. (all 3 of my top suspects were normies :( )

Except for side-thinking Plutonium was one. Since I was the only other person in Jail that survived that last jail day.

Egos on
    edited October 2008
    Also what was the point of reduced chance of being found out while interrogated when the only special ability I had was the reduced chance of being interrogated?

Orange Soda on
  • IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    On a scale of 1 to AWESOME I give this game an A+++++ would buy from again.

Ianator on
    steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
    edited October 2008
    Prompt Shipping A+++ seller

Orange Soda on
    edited October 2008

I take it hard personally since I was there the whole way, and I was played by so many badguys just by messaging me. What irritated me about the last two days was that I had to prod some people into action, to give me their trusted/suspicious lists. Even when people said that they had no clue what was going on (and this described many of us villagers), at least you could try to give me some names...

I would like to try the trust/suspicious thing again in a different game to see if some sort of 'system' could be made of it. Didn't quite work in this game, but maybe with more data, it'll work better in the next.

You were put into a situation where the most helpful people apparently consisted mostly of bad guys, the villagers were not doing much to help (or if they tried, were promptly jailed :P Not sure if that was deliberate or anything, though), and a lot of the good specials were taken out early on.

You did your best, but you were put into an unenviable position. I don't blame you in any way for how things turned out.

Live and learn! :)

ecco the dolphin on
  • Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Did not like how much power the mafia had. Was pissed that I finally seered a baddie and couldn't tell anyone because I got jailed and then got killed in jail. How did that all work btw?

Goose! on
    edited October 2008
    Goose! wrote: »
    Did not like how much power the mafia had. Was pissed that I finally seered a baddie and couldn't tell anyone because I got jailed and then got killed in jail. How did that all work btw?

Two regular kills per night. One Jail kill per night. Three jailings per night. Two weapon searches per night. Curfew every other night. Executions every three days.

Yeah, mafia was superpowered this game, but with relatively smaller numbers than in other big Phallas. I think it was a fair match. Mafia playing so smartly around the village didn't help matters.

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
  • thorgotthorgot there is special providence in the fall of a sparrowRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I TOLD YOU NOT TO ELECT MRBLARNEY

I WARNED YOU

thorgot on
    campionthorgotsig.jpg
  • thorgotthorgot there is special providence in the fall of a sparrowRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    ALSO
    thorgot wrote: »
    While Gumpy is evil, !natik is also evil. Let's just say I used some Lady Eri science to figure this one out.

8-)

thorgot on
    campionthorgotsig.jpg
    edited October 2008
    thorgot wrote: »
    I TOLD YOU NOT TO ELECT MRBLARNEY

I WARNED YOU

You wound me, thorgot! (But it's probably true.) (I still haven't gotten over my self-loathing, sorry.)

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
  • ArasakiArasaki Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I was telling you Bliss 101 for like 4 days!

Man I'm so grudging you from now on, MrBlarney.

Edit: One of the only phalla's I've managed to actually guess at bad guys, and nobody actually believed me.

Arasaki on
    edited October 2008
    Also wth was gumpy doing with his "I R Roboto" posts?

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
    edited October 2008
    Also wth was gumpy doing with his "I R Roboto" posts?

He's Gumpy

crimsoncoyote on