As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Indie Music: to 2008!

1585960616264»

• Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2008
  • Options
    Tucanwarrior13Tucanwarrior13 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Has anyone heard anything about the These Arms are Snakes album? Is it good?

Tucanwarrior13 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ClickForthClickForth Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Obligatory "I saw Jeff Mangum perform 'Engine' at e6 holiday tour show lol brag brag brag"

ClickForth on
  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Dynagrip wrote: »

That's a great song, I think there was a different version of that song on whatever that get out the vote album in 2004 was. But that's one of their best tracks easily. Also check out "carparts" if you're feeling the band.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I really like a few Long Winters songs. "Carparts," "Stupid," there are a few others, and one in particular that I only ever heard once and have never been able to find again. I'm pretty sure it was a secret or bonus track, and it was very different from their usual stuff. Been annoying me for years now.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    NumeroNumero Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Mikey CTS wrote: »
    Ghandi 2 wrote: »
    Do Zach Hill and Marnie Stern count as indie? If so, how are their respective new albums?

I like the new Marnie Stern record. It's weird, but I find it enjoyable. Never a dull moment on the whole record.

Weird. My best friend is going to be opening for Marnie Stern in DC.

Numero on
  • Options
    Ramen NoodleRamen Noodle whoa, god has a picture of me! Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Fuck, Okkervil River is incredible.

Ramen Noodle on
  • Options
    dodosdodos Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I can't get into them as hard as I try. I just can't. Black Sheep Boy makes me want to kill myself and the new CD is nothing short of that.

Also, how's Lala.com's catalog compared to emusic?

dodos on
  • Options
    ilmmadilmmad Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Black Sheep Boy is depressing as fuck but for some reason that doesn't get to me.

But it remains my most played album. I didn't like Okkervil River at first but now I'm in love.

ilmmad on
    Ilmmad.gif
  • Options
    MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2008
    They are really fucking good.

I didn't get into them until after The Stage Names, but man I am glad I did.

Monoxide on
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I've ended up the same with MGMT. At first it was just "Kids" and "Time to Pretend," but now that I've gained some distance and headed back in, I have to say I love the album a whole bunch.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    Ghandi 2Ghandi 2 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Números wrote: »
    Mikey CTS wrote: »
    Ghandi 2 wrote: »
    Do Zach Hill and Marnie Stern count as indie? If so, how are their respective new albums?

I like the new Marnie Stern record. It's weird, but I find it enjoyable. Never a dull moment on the whole record.

Weird. My best friend is going to be opening for Marnie Stern in DC.
    Cool, Zach Hill would be one of the 5 musicians still alive I would like to meet.

Ghandi 2 on
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited October 2008
    20030822h.gif
    Tycho wrote:
    It's now 4:13 in the morning. I got home at about eleven o'clock and starting moving my mail over to Thunderbird, the Mozilla mail component that Scott said Gary said had nice spam filtering. I imported my old mail into it for some reason, to accelerate my hair loss I think, but I've trained it like a faithful pup to ferret out spam and viruses from of a sample of fourteen thousand hand-flagged mails. I am at the point where coffee just makes my teeth vibrate.

The new comic strip concerns the N-Gage Special Forces, a crack group of liars and miscreants whose job it is to spread lies about the N-Gage. When I say lies, I mean things like telling people that it is good or that someone should buy one with money. I wince when I look at it. When it comes time to account for why it is such a monumental fuck-up, in my mind I see a group of men all around a long conference table. They all shrug in unison.

I asked people to tell me if they could recall the community standing up, claiming a game for their own, and taking over development on a game besides Allegiance - and readers responded, revealing a world of wonder and limitless amusement.

Virgin Interactive's Subspace is a mixture of of Asteroids and Deathmatch, which I think we can all agree is probably a very good thing. Something it was not, however, is a financial success - and Virgin closed down the servers, as you might expect. Fast forward to today, where player-run servers are the norm, bizarre mods have taken shape, and the entire game has been reverse-engineered to allow access to the undercarriage. Many players invited me to give the game a shot, and I have a mind to do just that.

I would be disappointed, yes, disappointed in you if you were not familiar with Bungie's Myth. Almost universally adored, and luscious with (then novel) 3Dfx accelerated graphics, Myth games were good in virtually every way one can reckon a tactical fantasy game. It had a beautiful interface that allowed access to a wheelbarrow full of great maps and gametypes, it was essentially the cat's pajamas. We're all aware that when Bungie became a part of Microsoft, Bungie's own multiplayer matching service would eventually become a thing of the past. Of course, this was long after I had started playing other games - so I was not aware that the community had risen to the challenge here, as well. I had heard about this more recently, when gamers displeased with the state of Myth III successfully petitioned Take-Two Interactive to gain access to the source code in order to fix the game.

Think about that for a second.

In any event, their legacy is real - modern, playable versions of all three Myth games, and a matchmaking service to tie it all together. It makes me want to clap.

(CW)TB out.

jam after jam of inaccurate songs

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
This discussion has been closed.