As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Marvel Solicitations for January 2009

• Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Lots of neat stuff in these solicits; more on the Noir books, a new comic by Stuart Moore, Meggan in Captain Britain/MI 13, Secret Invasion: War of Kings, and a Captain Britain Omnibus. Hell yeah. Now where's my Excalibur Omnibus?

edit: However, this pretty much sums up why Spider-Man's unreadable for me in his current status quo. Bad enough that OMD and BND were totally weak sauce, but Marvel just can't stop rubbing it in our faces just how wild and classic! his current status is. Haha, lookit that Peter Parker! Out on the town with two ladies? How'll that work?! He's like that Archie kid, he is! I bet there'll be shenanigans, oh yes, shenanigans will abound! Oh, and who's that drawing the cover? Why, it's classic Spider-Man artist John Romita Sr! Golly! Check out those funky digs those hep cats are'a sportin'! Looks like they're gonna boogie on down to the disco to get their groove goin' and their mojo workin'!

Munch on
  • Options
    NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    since when did they decide to change the thor numbering back?

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Nogs wrote: »
    since when did they decide to change the thor numbering back?

with issue #600

and looks like that Uncanny Annual ties into Dark Reign

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    also finally the 3rd New Avengers OHC is coming out

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Faynor wrote: »
    I wonder what his powers will be.

Oh god, what if he has both of his parents? Can you imagine, one baby becoming many, and those many babies sonic screaming at the top of their lungs?

Edit: That is to say, if his powers manifest at birth or soon after if he even has them. Which would be highly unlikely, but I don't know!

Madrox had his powers at birth. This is because (according to some continuity) he's not actually a mutant.
    Oh gods, that was so stupid. It's the same shit as the eternal wolfman in Wolverine's, and the son of a demon in Nightcrawler's backstories

Although, in fairness: it's always been a part of both Madrox's and Nightcrawlers' history that they had their powers at birth.

mattharvest on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Also, Madrox's retcon was basically that he's pretty much a mutant, but slightly different, whereas Nightcrawler's retcon IS THAT HE'S PART FUCKING DEMON.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Yeah the Madrox thing is not even in the same fucking ballpark as that terrible Nightcrawler story

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Balefuego wrote: »
    Yeah the Madrox thing is not even in the same fucking ballpark as that terrible Nightcrawler story
    They were obviously running up to some ridiculous mutant vs mutate or some shit story before House of M happened and made it all irrelevant. I think given time it could've been horrible, but it was saved just in time.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Actually I am pretty sure that Peter David still plans to explore Madrox's lineage in future stories.

Edit: also your ridiculous assumption about where that storyline "was obviously going" is made even more ridiculous by the fact that X-Factor launched out of House of M.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Yeah, that guy from the Madrox: Multiple Choice mini is still just hanging around, doing nothing.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Actually I am pretty sure that Peter David still plans to explore Madrox's lineage in future stories.

Edit: also your ridiculous assumption about where that storyline "was obviously going" is made even more ridiculous by the fact that X-Factor launched out of House of M.
    Oh crap, the order in my head is kind of screwed up. Oh well.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    The last Iron Man: Director of SHIELD and Secret Invasion: War Machine are the only tpbs coming out in January I'm getting. MAY pick up the New Ways to Die Amazing Spider-man HC.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Munch wrote: »
    Lots of neat stuff in these solicits; more on the Noir books, a new comic by Stuart Moore, Meggan in Captain Britain/MI 13, Secret Invasion: War of Kings, and a Captain Britain Omnibus. Hell yeah. Now where's my Excalibur Omnibus?

edit: However, this pretty much sums up why Spider-Man's unreadable for me in his current status quo. Bad enough that OMD and BND were totally weak sauce, but Marvel just can't stop rubbing it in our faces just how wild and classic! his current status is. Haha, lookit that Peter Parker! Out on the town with two ladies? How'll that work?! He's like that Archie kid, he is! I bet there'll be shenanigans, oh yes, shenanigans will abound! Oh, and who's that drawing the cover? Why, it's classic Spider-Man artist John Romita Sr! Golly! Check out those funky digs those hep cats are'a sportin'! Looks like they're gonna boogie on down to the disco to get their groove goin' and their mojo workin'!

Um is that Peter? It looks like Harry to me. Not to bust up your rant or anything. (not reading Spider-man at all)

smokmnky on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I actually think that Pete's roommate Vin with the 2 girls, Spider-Man is up in the corner on the lamp post

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Solicit implies that it's Pete.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    The Nova and She-Hulk solicits seem interesting in the context of what Dark Reign might be.

Also the Remender Punisher solicit makes the cover look less cringe-worthy.

But what I really love is that Moon Knight Dell'Otto cover.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    RansRans Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    lots of trades from marvel for me this month

Secret Invasion TPB
    Secret Invasion: Captain Marvel TPB
    Infinity Crusade Vol 2 TPB
    Annihilation: Conquest Vol 2 TPB

yay

also very eager for the WAR OF KINGS stuff

Rans on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Solicit implies that it's Pete.

the solicit says "love is in the air for more than one member of the cast"

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    His hair doesn't look like some kind of horrifying cornrows, so no, it's not Harry. There's also this.
    Newsarama wrote:
    AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #583
    Written by MARK WAID
    Pencils by BARRY KITSON
    Cover by JOHN ROMITA SR.
    YOU ASKED FOR IT, YOU GOT IT! PETER PARKER ON A DATE!
    After the revelations of “Mind on Fire”, love is in the air for more than one member of the cast and Pete finally gets some time out with the ladies. (and who better to bring it to you than two men who both had dates as recently as 1987!)
    Amidst the romance though, forces are gathering that will spell trouble for Peter in the months to come.
    32 PGS./Rated A ...$2.99
    Balefuego wrote:
    I actually think that Pete's roommate Vin with the 2 girls, Spider-Man is up in the corner on the lamp post

I figured that was just some symbolic imagery or something. Romita, and a lot of other Spidey artists, would often draw Peter with those two curly little bangs in the front of his hair.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I'm sorry you dont like Spider-Man right now Munch, but some of us find the new direction far preferrable to JMS' melodramtic mysticism

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    That's what I was talking about

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I feel bad for the current arc of Hercules, because it's obviously making fun of DC, but anything to do with that event is automatically tainted.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I'm sorry you dont like Spider-Man right now Munch, but some of us find the new direction far preferrable to JMS' melodramtic mysticism

i don't read spiderman, aside from the occassional trade of USM, but i find the flushing down the toilet of peter and mj to save aunt may (who has to be like 95 by now) really silly and stupid. spider-man seems to be being kind of pushed back to where he was before mj, back when a lot of the current writers were kids, which i think is stupid and lazy.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

To be completely honest, I didn't even care for most of JMS' run all that much, simply because it stopped feeling like Spider-Man at some point. I just take issue with injecting a bunch of cosmos-rending mysticism into the Spider-Man mythos, making a big, fucked up mess of continuity. Despite what any of the Amazing Spider-writers say, that's what they did.

I think what BND tried to do was basically a good idea. The character had, by moving into Avengers tower, unmasking, and doing a bunch of other weird shit, moved too far from his roots. But all that could have been undone without making Spider-Man into a character who, quite literally, made a deal with the devil.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

i don't read spiderman, aside from the occassional trade of USM, but i find the flushing down the toilet of peter and mj to save aunt may (who has to be like 95 by now) really silly and stupid. spider-man seems to be being kind of pushed back to where he was before mj, back when a lot of the current writers were kids, which i think is stupid and lazy.

This isnt an OMD discussion anymore at this point. It was a bad event, it happaned but its in the past now. The stories now are way better than they were before (my opinion). Wether it needed to happen for these stories to be told is a valid argument in many ways but also pointless in the sense that its done now and the only way to undo it is with yet another OMD type story which I'm sure nobody wants.

My only concern is that I found the majority of JMS' Spider-Man overwrought and tedious, and I find the majority of the post-OMD Spider-Man stories fun and interesting and the writers have a clear and cohesive plan for the character that I totally dig.

I mean no offense to Munch but it becomes silly when you get so wrapped up in a past story you didnt like that you cant enjoy good stories that followed it. I'm not saying he's dumb for not liking Brand New Day or anything like that, but I seem to remember he refused to buy the new Blue Beetle book for awhile despite the fact that most people who read it loved it, just because he was still pissed about Ted Kord dying.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    All that said, Ultimate Spider-Man is the best iteration of the character ever and if anyone asked me what Spider-Man book they should read that is the one I would reccomend.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    All that said, Ultimate Spider-Man is the best iteration of the character ever and if anyone asked me what Spider-Man book they should read that is the one I would reccomend.

This. Bendis should never, ever leave the book.

As for ASM, I think BND forward the book has been really good, and it reminds me of the Spidey I read when I first got into comics. From the looks of things in the solicits, this is going to continue. Oh, and if you get the subscription, it's $50 for 36 issues. That's a fucking steal.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    DreamonDreamon Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I cant belive that you guys are still discussing some spiderman stunt while there are some important tips about the upcoming Dark Reign Series

From Nova Solistics
    Richard Rider: Nova no more? With the new Nova Corps on Earth laying down the law, is there no longer a need for the
    Human Rocket? Plus: guest-stars Darkhawk and the original Quasar! Dan Abnett, Andy Lanning and Wellinton Alves hit
    you with the biggest twists yet in the latest jaw-dropping installment of what Wizard calls "the best outer space soap opera since "Star Wars!"

From SI: War of Kings solistics
    It's finally here…WAR OF KINGS! The Secret Invasion may be over, but the Inhumans are still reeling from the terrible wounds inflicted on them by the Skrulls. And this time, the Royal Family and their massively powered people have been pushed too far! You have never seen the Inhumans like this – and it's only the beginning! Plus: How will the empire-expanding Vulcan react to these recent universe-shaking developments? Before this double-sized shocker is over, vengeance will be had, daring alliances will be forged, and the first shots in a destiny-changing battle will be fired! The acclaimed team of writers Dan Abnett & Andy Lanning (NOVA) and artist Paul Pelletier (GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY) unite to revamp heroes, reveal villains and rock the universe!

Dreamon on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    woah woah woah

The Original Quasar?

as in Wendell Vaughn?

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Si, Senor.

I mean, really, they were always going to bring him back. DnA said as much especially since Vaughan has a loyal following.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    oh shiiiiiiiit

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    You know what I don't get? How they can write all of these awesome cosmic characters, and still have Phyla suck ass.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    Diablo FettDiablo Fett Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    woah woah woah

The Original Quasar?

as in Wendell Vaughn?

did you not read the last issue of Nova?

Diablo Fett on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    woah woah woah

The Original Quasar?

as in Wendell Vaughn?

did you not read the last issue of Nova?

I'm waiting for the big hardcovers

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Long story short:

When Nova goes back to Earth, he finds out Project Pegasus found a vial of some kind of energy from the Negative Zone. When they reboot Worldmind, or try anyway, it unlocks the container and out pops Quasar in energy form like he appeared in Richie's dream in the Annual.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I'm kinda annoyed they're having a Nova origin reprint issue. Wasn't that what the Annual was?

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    So much Age of the Sentry and Marvel Adventures goodness.

Wildcat on
  • Options
    SalmonOfDoubtSalmonOfDoubt Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Oh man, Wolverine: Not Dead Yet. That's probably my favourite Wolverine story of all time, awesome.

Also I found Ruins fucking hilarious. I mean, how can you not laugh at a newspaper cover with a picture of Galactus' corpse and the caption "GOD FOUND DEAD IN SPACE" ?

SalmonOfDoubt on
    heavensidesig80.jpg
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    killing children would be hilarious
    Olivaw wrote: »
    HELLO AND WELCOME TO THE PENNY ARCADE FORUMS

PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY

AND THIS PENIS
    Man, I don't want to read about this lady's broken vagina.
    NotACrook wrote: »
    I am sitting here trying to come up with a tiered system for rating child molesters.
    cock vore is fuckin hilarious
  • Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I don't know. I've seen scans and descriptions of Ruins before, and it just seems depressing and gross.

Desktop Hippie on
  • Options
    SalmonOfDoubtSalmonOfDoubt Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Well, it's a very black kind of humour.

SalmonOfDoubt on
    heavensidesig80.jpg
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    killing children would be hilarious
    Olivaw wrote: »
    HELLO AND WELCOME TO THE PENNY ARCADE FORUMS

PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY

AND THIS PENIS
    Man, I don't want to read about this lady's broken vagina.
    NotACrook wrote: »
    I am sitting here trying to come up with a tiered system for rating child molesters.
    cock vore is fuckin hilarious