As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Tactical Combat games: Turn-Based awesome.

12346»

• BogeyBogey I'm back, baby! Santa Monica, CAModerator mod
    edited October 2008
    I played the hell out of Front Mission 4 when it came out for the PS2.

Bogey on
    Fitocracy: Join us in the SE++ group!
    XBox LIVE: Bogestrom | Destiny
    PSN: Bogestrom
  • Synthetic OrangeSynthetic Orange Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    JA2 will rape you with a rusty rake.

My bodycount must have been in the thousands by the time I left the country.

Synthetic Orange on
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Sygnon wrote: »
    so i decided to replay JA2 (with 1.13) on expert, and after taking the drassen mine 91 troops just showed up, are these typical numbers or do i have an ini file fucked somewhere

Yeah, in the INI file there's a QUEEN_SENDS_TROOPS_TO_DRASSEN or DRASSEN_COUNTERATTACK line, just set that to 0 and it won't happen in the next game

Moriveth on
  • Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    It's not so much that as the ability to call in reenforcements.

I once started out by attacking the central drassen sector. After that, the other two sectors were completely empty.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    It's horrible when that happens in the late game.

Why yes I'm knee-deep in Meduna trying to take down fucking tanks SURE YOU CAN CALL IN MORE ELITES WITH MINIGUNS AND MORTARS

Moriveth on
  • Ol' SparkyOl' Sparky Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    God the guys at Paradox's forum are the biggest bunch of powergamers ever.

Though I have to admit some of the mods are very well done. I love the unit icon mods, it adds a lot of flavor to a drab interface.

Ol' Sparky on
  • ZegunaZeguna Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Advance Wars is some portable awesome.

Zeguna on
  • NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    hmm, it seems that my co-conspirator doesn't want to make a turn-based tactical game.

NotASenator on
  • SygnonSygnon Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Sygnon wrote: »
    so i decided to replay JA2 (with 1.13) on expert, and after taking the drassen mine 91 troops just showed up, are these typical numbers or do i have an ini file fucked somewhere

Yeah, in the INI file there's a QUEEN_SENDS_TROOPS_TO_DRASSEN or DRASSEN_COUNTERATTACK line, just set that to 0 and it won't happen in the next game

thanks that took care of it.

i got it down to 29 guys with some serious alt s alt l abuse, and completely exhausted all ammunition around me.

Sygnon on
    b0b11710e1ddcbfc1958f52a53cb7566.png
  • ubernekouberneko Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    This thread makes me want to play Close Combat and Syndicate now. Are any of the new Close Combat games good?

uberneko on
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Am I the only one to ever play Sudden Strike? It's like Silent Storm only realistic and stuff.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • darksteeldarksteel Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Am I the only one to ever play Sudden Strike? It's like Silent Storm only realistic and stuff.

My friend gave this to me in high school but I never played it. Is it any good? I heard the maps are frikkin huuuuuuuge and units can take like 30 minutes to go across them and stuff. And also that infantry can ride on tanks, like all sitting on them. That's kinda neat.

darksteel on
    shikisig6-1.jpg
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    darksteel wrote: »

My friend gave this to me in high school but I never played it. Is it any good? I heard the maps are frikkin huuuuuuuge and units can take like 30 minutes to go across them and stuff. And also that infantry can ride on tanks, like all sitting on them. That's kinda neat.

It's very detailed, each map can take between 30 minutes and 2 hours (this is all from memory, I haven't played it in years).

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    So, did any mention the as-yet-unconfirmed rumour that's doing the rounds that Starbreeze (of Chronicles of Riddick Starbreeze) is doing a new Syndicate game?

Not turn-based, but totally awesome. The original still makes my panties wet.

In other awesome remake but not turn-based catagory: Carrier Command.

Fishman on
    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • SlagmireSlagmire Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I have to say, I'm totally looking forward to Valkyria Chronicles. Been a long time since I said that about any Sega published game.
    Bogey wrote:
    I played the hell out of Front Mission 4 when it came out for the PS2.

Did you play FM3 on the PSX, because that was a ton better. Granted, I don't think I gave FM4 enough credit and might have to replay it sometime.

Slagmire on
  • ubernekouberneko Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Fishman wrote: »
    So, did any mention the as-yet-unconfirmed rumour that's doing the rounds that Starbreeze (of Chronicles of Riddick Starbreeze) is doing a new Syndicate game?

THANK YOU GOD!

uberneko on
  • PotUPotU __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008

It's not like Silent Strom at all!

Also it's real time and I hate it.

PotU on
    2mong9u.jpg
  • TrueHereticXTrueHereticX We are the future Charles, not them. They no longer matter. Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    sforce2.jpg

I must express my deepest love for this game

TrueHereticX on
  • JarofmoldymayoJarofmoldymayo __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008
    I remember a godzilla turn based strategy game on the NES, I don't remember it's title though.

Someone help.

Jarofmoldymayo on
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I just discovered Laser Squad Nemesis.

It's pretty weird. You give orders in a turn based fashion but things play out in real time.

Inquisitor on
  • MistaCreepyMistaCreepy Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    You know what is the awesomest thing about Paradox Games? You can start out in the Middle Ages playing Crusader Kings, carry over your save to the Renaissance and the Age of Sail in Europa Universalis 2, carry over your save to the Industrial Age in Victoria: An Empire Under The Sun, then carry over your save to World War II and the modern world with Hearts of Iron 2. I haven't actually tried it, but the potential to go from dispatching Saracens in the Middle East with the Templars to nuclear standoffs in the Cold War is definitely a great feature.

Once they're done making Hearts of Iron 3 and make a sequel to Victoria with the Europa Universalis 3 engine, they can link the games all the way back from the Roman Empire with Europa Universalis: Rome.

Hearts Of Iron 2 has stolen literally months from my life. That is the only video game ever where I can start playing at 10am and play until the sun goes down without even noticing.

MistaCreepy on
    PS3: MistaCreepy::Steam: MistaCreepy::360: Dead and I don't feel like paying to fix it.
  • ZegunaZeguna Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Has anyone played The Perfect General? I've got a complete copy in my closet that I haven't even started yet.

Zeguna on
  • IvarIvar Oslo, NorwayRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I am currently playing the FUCK out of Final Fantasy Tactics A2. I can't remember the last time I was this hooked on a game. I'm playing when I walk from home to the train station, from the train to work, from work to the train, and from the station back home. And from then until I go to sleep.

It's a very real possibility that this game will get me run over by a truck.

Ivar on
  • lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Ivar wrote: »
    I am currently playing the FUCK out of Final Fantasy Tactics A2. I can't remember the last time I was this hooked on a game. I'm playing when I walk from home to the train station, from the train to work, from work to the train, and from the station back home. And from then until I go to sleep.

It's a very real possibility that this game will get me run over by a truck.

oh my god, this happened to me when i first got the game. by the time i beat the final boss, i looked at the time counter and realized i've put in close to 90 hours of playtime on it. then it let me get back to playing extra missions, and i stopped playing, because it was getting unhealthy.

lostwords on
    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Valkyria Chronicles comes out a week after election day ;o

e~ aw TOTP means i will add pics.

Some tactical maps:
    commandmoderh8.jpg

Some units:
    actionmodesq2.jpg

Some people in circles by a tank:
    troopsyc2.jpg

fadingathedges on
  • IvarIvar Oslo, NorwayRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I played the demo of Valkyria Chronicles and it looks awesome. Crazy awesome, even. I showed it to a friend (we played it on his PS3) and he's buying it as soon as it comes out. I'm not sure, but I think tactical combat is a new genre to him.

I'm doing a quest in FFTA2 now, and there's something funny going on.. I'm supposed to guard a tree from all the monsters, and I got my units in a good defensive position near the tree, but the monsters don't seem to know that they're supposed to get to the tree. They're just walking back and forth on the other side of the map. Looks like I'll have to take the fight to them.

And I like your sig, fadingathedges.

Ivar on
  • CaxCax Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    It's funny that the first game to ever make me feel proud of my country was made by Swedish people.

Swedes have that effect on people.

Cax on
  • FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Oh, hey Good Old Games is Open!

This goes here because apparently they've just added Jagged Alliance 2 - US$5.99.

Fishman on
    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
    edited October 2008
    The demo for Valkyria Chronicles looks great and plays ok.

I'm getting really excited for it though since it's been getting incredibly high ratings from a lot of reviewers. I normally don't pay too much attention to those, but I wanted to since this is a pretty nich game.

Bogey on
    edited October 2008
    Isn't that an Atlus game? They always have really interesting looking games but I can never maintain my interest in them for long.

Like, that operation darkness game looked rad but apparently it sucks.

Moriveth on
    edited October 2008
    No, it's by SEGA.

You can find more details about the game from the link at the top of this page.

Bogey on
    edited October 2008
    That looks pretty cool, actually.

Too bad I don't have a PS3. Maybe I'll make my friend who's planning to get one get this. And that Africa game (or whatever it's called, the one where you just take pictures in Africa).

Moriveth on
  • Meta T. DustMeta T. Dust Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Ivar wrote: »
    I played the demo of Valkyria Chronicles and it looks awesome. Crazy awesome, even. I showed it to a friend (we played it on his PS3) and he's buying it as soon as it comes out. I'm not sure, but I think tactical combat is a new genre to him.

I'm doing a quest in FFTA2 now, and there's something funny going on.. I'm supposed to guard a tree from all the monsters, and I got my units in a good defensive position near the tree, but the monsters don't seem to know that they're supposed to get to the tree. They're just walking back and forth on the other side of the map. Looks like I'll have to take the fight to them.

And I like your sig, fadingathedges.

Unless the Tree has a health bar your just supposed too kill them.

or they wait until your in range and make a dash for the tree while paralyzing your shit too hell.

Meta T. Dust on
    motherfuckingwar.png
    edited October 2008
    Agistrar wrote: »
    Is... is that Rank in the second screenshot in the OP?

Has this been discussed?

His avatar is from that game.

Ta-da!

Moriveth on
  • Meta T. DustMeta T. Dust Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Agistrar wrote: »
    Is... is that Rank in the second screenshot in the OP?

Has this been discussed?

His avatar is from that game.

Ta-da!

You put his avatar into the game?

fuckin' wizard.

Meta T. Dust on
    motherfuckingwar.png