As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Who won [chat]?

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Feral wrote: »
    Seriously, Than, you've got an inflammatory condition in each leg, which, if left untreated, could get worse, involve long-term damage (particularly to the cartilage of the knee), or at the very worst take longer to heal.
    I made a couple of calls to doctors in the area, and I'm not shelling out $200+ in addition to taking unpaid time off work to take a first appointment on the basis of a little pain and discomfort when, in all likelihood, they're just going to tell me to take a couple of ibuprofen or naproxen and not do anything strenuous (which is exactly what I'm doing).

If it continues, yeah, I'll probably go, but at the moment, I really can't afford that.

Is there a community clinic in your area, perhaps?

Also, do you at least have your ankle and knee braced up?

Are you icepacking each for 30m per day?

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Organichu wrote: »
    Seriously, Than, you've got an inflammatory condition in each leg, which, if left untreated, could get worse, involve long-term damage (particularly to the cartilage of the knee), or at the very worst take longer to heal.
    I made a couple of calls to doctors in the area, and I'm not shelling out $200+ in addition to taking unpaid time off work to take a first appointment on the basis of a little pain and discomfort when, in all likelihood, they're just going to tell me to take a couple of ibuprofen or naproxen and not do anything strenuous (which is exactly what I'm doing).

If it continues, yeah, I'll probably go, but at the moment, I really can't afford that.
    Got it. I strongly, strongly, strongly advise you to not do any weighted, torsional movements for a bit. Some people will tell you that you "don't want anything to atrophy" but that is utter horseshit in a scenario such as this. The effects of intramuscular atrophy aren't really even noticeable in the time frame we're discussing. Rest. I absolutely can't reinforce it enough.

(You seem like an anti-retard, though, so I'm sure I don't have to argue with you about this)
    "You don't want anything to atrophy" is good advice for muscle injuries (especially back injuries), not so much for joint pain.

I've actually hauled a second chair into my room just so I can keep the ankle elevated, and I'm trying to stop walking places (I drove to Safeway last night instead of walking).

Thanatos on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Elendil wrote: »
    I am watching Rebecca

I am watching you watch Rebecca.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    radroadkillradroadkill MDRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    James wrote: »
    Isn't there some sort of noise curfew bylaw or something?

I thought most places had one by 11pm on weekdays.

People in my neighbourhood don't mind loud music as lost as it's off by 9pm (most of them have kids), except the people directly next door who are total bitches all the time. They're actually really weird, their backyard is full of weird vegetation and they have this fucking parrot that screeches all the time.

I don't know. The thing is, I don't think it's loud enough to bother anyone but us and possibly the people above them on the second floor. They're at the end of the complex and the room they play it in is right next to our bedroom.

We think the other night the above neighbor's incessant stomping was a sign to top because as soon as they turned it down the stomping stopped. We laughed.

It doesn't bother Quid, though, 'cause the fucker sleeps through anything. I want to throttle him too.

radroadkill on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Drez wrote: »
    I am watching Rebecca

I am watching you watch Rebecca.

Drez is Rebecca.

He just doesn't know it yet.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Which song?

Elendil on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Problems with swimming:

1) The pool is not heated. Not a huge problem now, but will become an issue in winter.
    2) It's in the middle of the complex, where all the tenants can see my out-of-shape body struggle to do a couple laps.
    3) I have a highly irrational fear of pools, which usually I can overcome, but which occasionally will overpower me, forcing me to stop in the middle of a lap and retreat to the shallow end. This one fits nicely with problem #2.

So I dunno, maybe I'll figure out a different way to keep in shape.
    Man, VH, just start swimming. You'll freak out about the body image thing a couple of times, then just get over it. It's really not that big of a deal.

Besides, how many of the people in your complex have you actually talked to?

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

People in my neighbourhood don't mind loud music as lost as it's off by 9pm (most of them have kids), except the people directly next door who are total bitches all the time. They're actually really weird, their backyard is full of weird vegetation and they have this fucking parrot that screeches all the time.

I don't know. The thing is, I don't think it's loud enough to bother anyone but us and possibly the people above them on the second floor. They're at the end of the complex and the room they play it in is right next to our bedroom.

We think the other night the above neighbor's incessant stomping was a sign to top because as soon as they turned it down the stomping stopped. We laughed.

It doesn't bother Quid, though, 'cause the fucker sleeps through anything. I want to throttle him too.

Earplugs?

Feral on

• Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Problems with swimming:

1) The pool is not heated. Not a huge problem now, but will become an issue in winter.
    2) It's in the middle of the complex, where all the tenants can see my out-of-shape body struggle to do a couple laps.
    3) I have a highly irrational fear of pools, which usually I can overcome, but which occasionally will overpower me, forcing me to stop in the middle of a lap and retreat to the shallow end. This one fits nicely with problem #2.

Man, VH, just start swimming. You'll freak out about the body image thing a couple of times, then just get over it. It's really not that big of a deal.

Probably a good point. I should get some goggles; if I can see what's actually underwater instead of blurry shapes that might or might not be some kind of terror of the deep, it makes it a lot easier to overcome my fear.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

I can see your problem. You just want to throttle someone. *nodnod*

Edit: Seeing Cthulhu in all his glory makes you fear less, VH?

Haphazard on
  • Options
    Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008
    Problems with swimming:

Probably a good point. I should get some goggles; if I can see what's actually underwater instead of blurry shapes that might or might not be some kind of terror of the deep, it makes it a lot easier to overcome my fear.

NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERD

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited October 2008
    Man, I'm spent, but I still need to go the library.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    radroadkillradroadkill MDRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008

Earplugs?

I thought about it, but they really annoy me. I've got it worked out to where I'm usually so tired early enough I can sleep when they start (which is a better sleep schedule all around).

But after months I'm at the point where the song in and of itself is fucking annoying.

radroadkill on
  • Options
    JamesJames Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Well, considering how late they play it, it's not unreasonable to ask them to stop playing it so late, or filing a formal complaint if they refuse (I'm sure the upstairs people could corroborate).

James on
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Haphazard wrote: »

Well, seeing that there isn't actually a Cthulhu makes me less afraid, yes.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I could use a new coffee shop around here. One that's not a forever miles away.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Haphazard wrote: »

Well, seeing that there isn't actually a Cthulhu makes me less afraid, yes.

Always the optimist, huh?

Haphazard on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

Is there a community clinic in your area, perhaps?

Also, do you at least have your ankle and knee braced up?

Are you icepacking each for 30m per day?
    It's not really bad enough that I'd feel right bugging a community clinic; they've generally got their hands full dealing with people with more serious stuff.

I haven't been bracing them or icing them, no. The knee doesn't even actually hurt (well, slightly, but really, we're talking, like, maybe a .25 on a 0-10 scale), it just feels weird. And the ankle isn't, like, cripplingly bad (around a 2-2.5 on a 0-10 scale).

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I thought about it, but they really annoy me. I've got it worked out to where I'm usually so tired early enough I can sleep when they start (which is a better sleep schedule all around).

But after months I'm at the point where the song in and of itself is fucking annoying.

When I was growing up, I lived in an Hispanic part of Atlanta in government housing. It took me a long time to learn to go to sleep without the bum-bom-bum-bom-bum-bom of Mexican pop music constantly thudding through the walls.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Yeah, can't really help you with that fear of water thing. I've always taken to water fantastically well.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    The year was 2081, and everyone was finally equal.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    The term librator; retarded or awesome?

yalborap on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Than, is your knee feeling kind of... wobbly? Like it's... hmm, difficult to describe, a pressure pain as if there's water in there?

Haphazard on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Elki wrote: »

Except the person with post #2081.

James on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    It's not really bad enough that I'd feel right bugging a community clinic; they've generally got their hands full dealing with people with more serious stuff.

I haven't been bracing them or icing them, no. The knee doesn't even actually hurt (well, slightly, but really, we're talking, like, maybe a .25 on a 0-10 scale), it just feels weird. And the ankle isn't, like, cripplingly bad (around a 2-2.5 on a 0-10 scale).

Oh, I got the impression that they were worse.

Never mind, then.

Feral on

• Options
    edited October 2008

Except for the Christian, 'cause seriously, fuck them.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    yalborap wrote: »

Sounds like "vibrator."

James on
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited October 2008
    I'm told that I was tossed in the Med. as a child. Sink or swim, etc.

I had wonderful guardians.

Organichu on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

We all know you're an atheist. This is getting really old.

James on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

I'd be saying that if I wasn't an atheist.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

Sounds like "vibrator."

Dammit, you're right. How about librarator?

yalborap on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

I'd be saying that if I wasn't an atheist.

But in a different way :winky:

James on
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    God I hate our national anthem

Elendil on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

Sounds like "vibrator."

Sounds like you have a thing for librarians.

James on
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited October 2008
    Elendil: what are your thoughts on the Pledge of Allegiance?

Organichu on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    God I hate our national anthem

*high note*

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Organichu wrote: »
    Elendil: what are your thoughts on the Pledge of Allegiance?

Yours is totally lame.

James on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

Sounds like "vibrator."

Sounds like you have a thing for librarians.

Dammit all.

yalborap on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I always liked the US anthem.

Haphazard on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I really like the song New York by U2 right now.

James on
This discussion has been closed.