As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

(Dark, Mighty, New) Avengers Assemble! Long Live the Dark Reign

• psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    And it keeps you at the kind of power level that makes you impractical to use in most stories because you can just Deus Ex Machina the problem away.

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I'm pretty sure he's gotten a little more indepth in other places, but here's a quote from Bendis at a Baltimore Comic-Con Q&A
    Q: Why isn't Dr. Strange involved in Secret Invasion?

Bendis: He has failed as a Sorcerer Supreme, so the question is -- if Dr. Strange isn't the Sorcerer Supreme, who is? That will all be answered in New Avengers post-Secret Invasion.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Got the new issue of NA yesterday. It's pretty good.
    Long story short: Madame Masque is captured by SHIELD agents (skrulls). This is directly after the New Avengers finished beating up The Hood's super-villain group. The Hood rolls up and kills several of the Skrulls, discovering in the process that they're Skrulls who were planning to replace Madame Masque to infiltrate the Hood's crew. He calls a meeting with the rest of his crew, all of whom we discover he has broken out of jail (he seriously is like Cloak with guns). At the meeting, they have a captured SHIELD Skrull, who they torture until he admits the Skrull plan. The Hood then does some hoodoo to determine if there are any Skrulls, then promptly kills the one Skrull in the group. They burn the warehouse and bodies, then the Hood tells them that he's going to decide what to do. Later, the Hood is at his apartment, and he threatens to get rid of the Hood if the demon inside it doesn't answer his questions. The demon appears, and it's Dormammu.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Oo ee, sounds good. I'll be sure to check it out.

Also, is Madame Masque hideously scarred, or just a little scarred? I mean, I know Tony was in love with her for a while, so I figure she's not quite Deadpool ugly.

Robos A Go Go on
  • frayfray Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I guess I didn't realise Sorcerer Supreme was anything more than a cool title.

And yeah, gonna have to get that new NA.

fray on
    "I told you," said Ford. "Eddies in the space-time continuum."
    "And this is his sofa, is it?" said Arthur.
  • delphinusdelphinus Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    The next in line is Doom, and doesnt the winner get to keep the Eye of Agamotto?

delphinus on
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Arrgh, tomorrow can't come soon enough. I still can't believe this series came out on time, even with Bendis and Yu at the helm.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • TeaSpoonTeaSpoon Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    wwtMask wrote: »
    Got the new issue of NA yesterday. It's pretty good.
    DIRTY EVIL SPOILERS

Whoa, that was dangerous. I reflex-clicked and hurt my neck after I forcibly ripped my eyes from the screen. And then a second time when I quoted that post.

TeaSpoon on
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    the question is will Doom even want the be Sorceror Supreme

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    He's wanted it in the past I believe

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • FCDFCD Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    It would suit his ego to be both Ruler and Greatest Mystic of the Earth.

FCD on
    Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
  • mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Virral wrote: »
    He's wanted it in the past I believe

There was a rather excellent What If? wherein he became Sorcerer Supreme.

mattharvest on
  • descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Oh snap, I didn't even realize issue 7 was out today. I just casually wandered over to the comics shipped today list and BAM. There it was. Delicious, delicious issue 7.

I'm pumped on New Avengers being out today, as well. And X-Men legacy for good measure.

I thought SI X-Men 3 was out this week, but it turns out to be next week. Curses.

desc on
  • FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Soooo.
    The issue was great. Veranke dead? That was fast. Expected her to die in an epic 1v1 or something. Janet's a bomb, we all saw that coming. Noh Varr is going to be a hero, and Luke and Jessica's baby is in the hands of Skrull Jarvis. That "BOOM!" right after he took the baby, was it Noh Varr? I got confused there.

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Faynor wrote: »
    Soooo.
    The issue was great. Veranke dead? That was fast. Expected her to die in an epic 1v1 or something. Janet's a bomb, we all saw that coming. Noh Varr is going to be a hero, and Luke and Jessica's baby is in the hands of Skrull Jarvis. That "BOOM!" right after he took the baby, was it Noh Varr? I got confused there.
    I haven't read it yet, but does it explain how he isn't dead?

Fencingsax on
    edited October 2008
    Nope. It just shows Jessica watching TV, and she's all "I have to go help my husband, take care of my baby Jarvis. I may not come back tears blah blah. This Jarvis even had brown eyes.

Faynor on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Oh gods, I hope Bendis didn't miss that.

Fencingsax on
  • Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Welp, I still feel the same way about Secret Invasion

It's got good parts and bad parts

although I felt this issue especially was catering to "fanboys"

Sars_Boy on
    edited October 2008
    WOOOOOOOOOOOPS WRONG THREAD

Sars_Boy on
    edited October 2008
    Sars if you didnt enjoy
    Clint picking up the bow+arrow and murdering Veranke by shooting her in the fucking face

I will be cross with you

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2008
    Balefuego wrote: »
    Sars if you didnt enjoy
    Clint picking up the bow+arrow and murdering Veranke by shooting her in the fucking face

I will be cross with you
    ehhh
    we already had that moment earlier and Veranke is killed by one arrow to the jaw after going toe to toe with like half the marvel U in that fight? oh plus I think stark should've killed her

Sars_Boy on
    edited October 2008
    I thought the Clint scene was a little contrived.
    I also don't think Veranka is dead. She was just caught off guard and seriously injured.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited October 2008
    Also I loved that one page splash where
    Uatu
    appears.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Rubber SledRubber Sled Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I've been a little put off by how easily these Skrulls die, well, the less Super-Skrully ones at least...Regular bullets, knives, etc., are all it takes? Seems like it should be harder to kill a shape-shifter.

Rubber Sled on
    "You know chicks who will do a free striptease just for gettin' to go on a car ride?"
  • Kusanagi02Kusanagi02 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I've been a little put off by how easily these Skrulls die, well, the less Super-Skrully ones at least...Regular bullets, knives, etc., are all it takes? Seems like it should be harder to kill a shape-shifter.

Just because they have the power sets of the heroes doesn't necessarily make them invincible.
    Good example of this is the mutants X-men. A good chunk of that group could get taken out easily by a bullet.

Anyways, can't wait till Issue #8 where we see Tony confronting Skrull Jarvis w/ baby.
    Hopefully we also see a ship or something land that has all the heroes that were replaced.

Kusanagi02 on
    edited October 2008
    Well,
    Black Bolt was on his own ship, as they were trying to harness his powers. They could be keeping Heroes in different places, similarly.

Faynor on
    edited October 2008
    Kusanagi02 wrote: »

Just because they have the power sets of the heroes doesn't necessarily make them invincible.
    Good example of this is the mutants X-men. A good chunk of that group could get taken out easily by a bullet.

They're all shapeshifters, though.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited October 2008
    Shapeshifting aside, Clint is still awesome.
    SI-022.jpg

Faynor on
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I also don't think Veranka is dead. She was just caught off guard and seriously injured.

All fiction is based on contrivance.

That said, I loved this issue.

Crimsondude on
    edited October 2008

All fiction is based on contrivance.

That said, I loved this issue.

Yeah, but usually it's a little more well-thought out than someone with a bow happening to get seriously injured right next to Clint Barton.

I would've preferred it if, say, Clint instead disarmed a Hawkeye Skrull and then used his bow.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited October 2008
    But that has no meaning.

Crimsondude on
    edited October 2008
    Meaning as in what?

Robos A Go Go on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I would've preferred it if, say, Clint instead disarmed a Hawkeye Skrull and then used his bow.
    I do think the impact of the scene was lessened by the fact that a really scene occurred in an earlier issue. But remember, Kate's bow is actually his bow, as seen in the YA: Hawkeye issue. If you're aware of that, I think the scene seems more special.

It's like King Arthur picking up Excalibur. Or Captain America being reunited with his shield.

Munch on
    edited October 2008
    Munch wrote: »
    It's like King Arthur picking up Excalibur. Or Captain America being reunited with his shield.

Exactly.

Crimsondude on
  • HankScorpioHankScorpio Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Sars_Boy wrote: »
    Balefuego wrote: »
    Sars if you didnt enjoy

I will be cross with you
    ehhh
    we already had that moment earlier and Veranke is killed by one arrow to the jaw after going toe to toe with like half the marvel U in that fight? oh plus I think stark should've killed her
    I don't think the arrow went through the jaw, it looks to me like it hit her at tha base of the brain stem in the back of the neck and came out her cheek right near her mouth, she is twisting her neck which makes it harder to see. Which would explain why she died.

HankScorpio on
    Scorpiohank.png
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I do think the impact of the scene was lessened by the fact that a really scene occurred in an earlier issue. But remember, Kate's bow is actually his bow, as seen in the YA: Hawkeye issue. If you're aware of that, I think the scene seems more special.

Not to mention, he's taken her somewhat under his wing in terms of training so it's not really contrived that he would be fighting near her.

SatanIsMyMotor on
    edited October 2008

Exactly.
    More like Spider-Man being reunited with his web-shooter. The bow is only special because he gave it to Kate to signal his approval of her carrying his name. It means more to her than it does to him, and as far as he is concerned he could be using any bow.

Not that SI even hinted at their relationship. Fuck, Kate is lit on fire immediately after she shows up. The only reason she's even there is so Bendis can put a bow in Hawkeye's hands.

Robos A Go Go on
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    As opposed to what though? It's fiction and that's exactly how fiction works. I just don't really understand what the issue is.

SatanIsMyMotor on
    edited October 2008
    As opposed to what though? It's fiction and that's exactly how fiction works. I just don't really understand what the issue is.

Chekhov's gun usually isn't introduced one minute before it's fired.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited October 2008
    She didn't just appear in the story out of nowhere though.

Crimsondude on
This discussion has been closed.