As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

(Dark, Mighty, New) Avengers Assemble! Long Live the Dark Reign

• wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    After reading the issue of Thunderbolts that came out today I can see how Norman will come out of this looking like a rose.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    She didn't just appear in the story out of nowhere though.

She did appear in the scene out of nowhere, though, and she disappears just as quickly.

Robos A Go Go on
  • FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    After reading the issue of Thunderbolts that came out today I can see how Norman will come out of this looking like a rose.

I haven't read it yet, what happened?
    She did appear in the scene out of nowhere, though, and she disappears just as quickly.

But there are like, 500 people in the mob. Unless you're Stature, Wasp, Pym, or Galactus Skrull, you're going to blend in with the crowd.

Edit:
    On a second look through, why is Veranke choking Iron Fist, then fighting Wolverine on the next page?

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
    edited October 2008
    About Thunderbolts...
    after the Thunderbolts and Norman save Washington D.C. and the president a reporter goes over to him and he explains the Stark was partly to blame for the invasion since he insisted on using Starktech for everything while Norman insisted on using his OWN tech for the Thunderbolts mountain. And at the end of the book when Iron Man flies away to recharge his amour the president is watching on a monitor and thinks Stark is running away. Norman, on the other hand, is bravely fighting on the front lines and Bush mentions he wants to see Norman after the invasion, assuming they live through it. Overall I thought it was a very effective way of showing how Osbourne could end up running SHIELD.

wirehead26 on
  • Dareth RamDareth Ram regular
    edited October 2008
    that was an excellent issue (SI7).

favorite moments:
    - Thor and Ares' exchange at the beginning.
    - Wolverine zeroing in on Spider-Woman. In a big fight like this, that seems like exactly the thing he'd do.
    - Fury and Osborn's exchange.
    - Uatu
    - Stature punchin' out Skrull Pym like he was a child, followed with a smack down on Galactus Skrull.
    - Howard the Duck being gripped by a Skrull. Skrull is going to get his face shot off, yes he is.
    - Noh-var

Dareth Ram on
  • deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I like how Spidey is always more aware than everyone.
    "Oh, at least the Watcher hasn't showed up yet. That's how you know things are really going bad."

deadonthestreet on
  • Dareth RamDareth Ram regular
    edited October 2008
    I'd also like to add Jarvis remains the creepiest and most disturbing Skrull of all.

Dareth Ram on
  • Diablo FettDiablo Fett Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    goddammit this issue was terrible
    Veranke's death was about as anti-climactic as you can get, the fight itself was pretty much the standard and nothing about it was new or exciting, and the ending cliffhanger is massively dampened by other issues coming out this week that show the heroes make it out just fine

i'm extremely disappointed in this issue, and i'm hoping Bendis can at least wrap it up with some surprises rather than the by-the-book formula that he's followed for pretty much the entire series

Diablo Fett on
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Yeah. Shock of shocks that it will probably end on a mostly bloodless win.

BTW, called it on Cassie giving Skrullactus a good old-fashioned haymaker.

Also, it seems the Cap series has now moved post-SI.

Crimsondude on
  • VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I really enjoyed it, I like the creepy zealotry the skrulls are being portrayed with.
    It doesn't matter who dies, as long as they get their religious message out? That sort of mentality explains a lot about the reasoning behind the Skrulls actions.

It strikes me that as an occupying invasion they have been pretty ordinary so far, but if that isn't really the point and this is more of a crusade of sorts it makes a lot more sense. I mean, I know the religious stuff hasn't exactly taken a back seat or anything, but up until now we've assumed they have come to Earth to live. That end bit with Jarvis makes them sound more like suicidal missionaries.

Really looking forward to the conclusion, hopefully Bendis can pull it off.

One niggling complaint - Reed had his skrull detector on full blast, but Pym and Spiderwoman were apparently immune until they chose to change/died.

One thing that does annoy me is that the whole "Stark needs to cobble together a new set of armour from bits of crud in the Savage land" plot kind of got dropped along the wayside... would have been cool to see him in an oldschool scrapmetal armour!

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited October 2008
    Clint's bow - is that supposed to be his original bow, from back when he joined the Avengers, because I'm sure I remember a stories where his bow got snapped in half or messed up beyond repair somehow. It can't be his original. Is it just supposed to be the one he had on him when he [wince]flew up into the imaginary Kree ship because his quiver caught fire[/wince]. Or am I misremembering?

Bogart on
  • VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I guess it was whatever bow of his they had stored at the Mansion when Hawkingbird ransacked the place? *shrug*

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Didn't Cap send that bow to her in YA Family Matters? Presumably it was from Clint's collection, I can't believe the man wouldn't have about a dozen customised bows sitting ready for use.

Wildcat on
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited October 2008
    No, I agree that it's a bow Clint used in the past, I just don't get why there's so much emotional emphasis placed on it, as it's surely only the last one he used that didn't get snapped in half by Ultron or whoever. Meh, trivial niggle on my behalf.

Bogart on
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Bogart wrote: »
    No, I agree that it's a bow Clint used in the past, I just don't get why there's so much emotional emphasis placed on it, as it's surely only the last one he used that didn't get snapped in half by Ultron or whoever. Meh, trivial niggle on my behalf.

It's the bow that he personally gave to Kate Bishop after he met her and endorsed her using the name Hawkeye

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I'm finding this whole conversation to be fairly frustrating. Clint hasn't been using a bow for a while now so when he does pick one up it's pretty bad ass. Makes sense to me.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • Kusanagi02Kusanagi02 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Virral wrote: »
    I really enjoyed it, I like the creepy zealotry the skrulls are being portrayed with.
    It doesn't matter who dies, as long as they get their religious message out? That sort of mentality explains a lot about the reasoning behind the Skrulls actions.

It strikes me that as an occupying invasion they have been pretty ordinary so far, but if that isn't really the point and this is more of a crusade of sorts it makes a lot more sense. I mean, I know the religious stuff hasn't exactly taken a back seat or anything, but up until now we've assumed they have come to Earth to live. That end bit with Jarvis makes them sound more like suicidal missionaries.

One niggling complaint - Reed had his skrull detector on full blast, but Pym and Spiderwoman were apparently immune until they chose to change/died.

One thing that does annoy me is that the whole "Stark needs to cobble together a new set of armour from bits of crud in the Savage land" plot kind of got dropped along the wayside... would have been cool to see him in an oldschool scrapmetal armour!

Even if this whole thing was a religious suicide mission, I can definitely see why there were other Skrulls who were against this whole invasion in the first place. Its enough that your race was annihilated during the Annihilation arc but to me it would've made to sense to start up some shit with the Kree since they were devastated even more.
    I got a feeling that the Skrulls Ace in the hole with Janet is gonna fail somehow. I mean she'll die but i don't think its gonna go exactly like the skrulls want. Plus the recent issue of Captain America shows his involvement in Secret Invasion and makes it seem like everything is back to normal.

Kusanagi02 on
  • frayfray Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Kusanagi02 wrote: »
    Virral wrote: »

Even if this whole thing was a religious suicide mission, I can definitely see why there were other Skrulls who were against this whole invasion in the first place. Its enough that your race was annihilated during the Annihilation arc but to me it would've made to sense to start up some shit with the Kree since they were devastated even more.
    I got a feeling that the Skrulls Ace in the hole with Janet is gonna fail somehow. I mean she'll die but i don't think its gonna go exactly like the skrulls want. Plus the recent issue of Captain America shows his involvement in Secret Invasion and makes it seem like everything is back to normal.

Really? Man, I would never have called that.

Also some if not all of that should probably be spoilered.
    And yeah that Hawkeye moment was pretty badass, but at the same time kind of a massive anticlimax. You'd think there'd be more to killing a skrull queen than one arrow.

fray on
    "I told you," said Ford. "Eddies in the space-time continuum."
    "And this is his sofa, is it?" said Arthur.
  • descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I didn't even know the history of him giving her the bow and the scene seemed logical enough to me.
    Step 1. They troll him harder than anyone has ever been trolled via Skrull Mockingbird knowing about November 19th or whatever the date was.

Step 2. Hey comes back with the rail skillz in retaliation.

Is she really for sure dead?

I liked Stature's counter-wifebeating. The Sue Richards pile-on with Reed was also great. "Skrull tier trolling" is my new gold standard for rating someone being mindfucked. The skrulls really know how to piss people off.
    I dunno, I like the issue overall. Bright colors! Explosions!

New Avengers 46 has me interested in Red Hood now, too.

desc on
    edited October 2008
    it's just The Hood

The Red Hood is a DC character

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • frayfray Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    The Hood was also the name of the bad guy in Thunderbirds.

So, uh, yeah.

fray on
    "I told you," said Ford. "Eddies in the space-time continuum."
    "And this is his sofa, is it?" said Arthur.
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    You know what was a super badass scene in NA? When the Hood appeared behind the agent holding one gun across his throat like a knife and the other up against his head. That was a cool looking panel.

SatanIsMyMotor on
    edited October 2008
    I'm looking through the reviews of SI #7 in the official comic news sites and most were negative, saying that the book will end up being a failure, not of sales, but of the general concept. I'll admit the writing in this story hasn't been quite up to par with Bendis's other work(Daredevil, Powers, USM) but I've still enjoyed it. I do agree that the story probably would have been better received as a standard Avengers story and not a company wide crossover event but that's what sells nowadays.

Back to SI #7 a sec, the only real problem with it I had was...
    Noh-Varr gets this awesome reveal, and then we don't see him again the whole issue.

wirehead26 on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Apparently, I'm the only one on this board who wants the Hood to go away.

Fencingsax on
    edited October 2008
    You're also the only person who hates Layla Miller

clearly you hate awesome things

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2008
    I'm looking through the reviews of SI #7 in the official comic news sites and most were negative, saying that the book will end up being a failure, not of sales, but of the general concept. I'll admit the writing in this story hasn't been quite up to par with Bendis's other work(Daredevil, Powers, USM) but I've still enjoyed it. I do agree that the story probably would have been better received as a standard Avengers story and not a company wide crossover event but that's what sells nowadays.

Noh-Varr gets this awesome reveal, and then we don't see him again the whole issue.

I can only figure the reason why it was company wide event was because of the Illuminati's involvement in starting this thing. Each person in the group represented there factions so it makes sense BUT i will say that the out of all the crossovers, the New Warriors tie-in wasn't needed.

Kusanagi02 on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008

I can only figure the reason why it was company wide event was because of the Illuminati's involvement in starting this thing. Each person in the group represented there factions so it makes sense BUT i will say that the out of all the crossovers, the New Warriors tie-in wasn't needed.

Well the New Warriors in general are not needed. I think we can all agree it's a terrible book.

Fencingsax on
    edited October 2008
    Fencingsax wrote: »

Well the New Warriors in general are not needed. I think we can all agree it's a terrible book.

Honestly i don't think the book is terrible but i see your point though. It would've been better if they structured it around Counter-force more.

Kusanagi02 on
    edited October 2008
    It's cancelled as of January anyway

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2008
    Balefuego wrote: »
    It's cancelled as of January anyway

lol...so i guess all the ex-mutants are gonna migrate to San Francisco now if the group is gonna be done by then.

Kusanagi02 on
    edited October 2008
    I like the idea of Jubilee running her own superhero team. But NW just did not tell that story well before I stopped reading it.

But the last arc is even set in an alternate future, so they're more likely to run into Cable than go to SF at this point.

Crimsondude on
    edited October 2008
    So the Red Hood is a guy with a hood that's red and has guns.

And the Hood is a guy with a hood that's red and has guns.

Man, they need to fight and the loser has to retire. They can't expect me to keep track of both of them.

desc on
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    And the winner has to fight Little Red Riding Hood from Fables?

Wildcat on
    edited October 2008
    desc wrote: »
    So the Red Hood is a guy with a red helmet and has guns.

And the Hood is a guy with a hood that's red and has guns and also the Hood is possessed by an evil demon that gives him supernatural powers.

Man, they need to fight and the loser has to retire. They can't expect me to keep track of both of them.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I always thought the Hood in Red Hood stood for Hoodlum, because he doesn't actually wear a hood.

But I suppose hood could have a broader definition than I realize.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited October 2008
    I'm fairly sure the fact that Hood is short for Hoodlum also played into Brian K Vaughn's creation of the character and name

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2008
    Balefuego wrote: »
    desc wrote: »
    So the Red Hood is a guy with a red helmet and has guns.

And the Hood is a guy with a hood that's red and has guns and also the Hood is possessed by an evil demon that gives him supernatural powers.

I guess it is a red helmet, and neither DC hood had a demon giving them powers. But ... No, still too close to be acceptable. I demand they fight. I've made up my mind.

I will sit here, upon this throne, and my thumbs up or down shall determine the loser's fate. Also, if we can work lions into this fight, I think everyone would agree that it could only improve things.

desc on
    edited October 2008
    I like the idea of Jubilee running her own superhero team. But NW just did not tell that story well before I stopped reading it.

But the last arc is even set in an alternate future, so they're more likely to run into Cable than go to SF at this point.

I was diggin the concept of them rebelling against the Stat quo of the registration and it would've been cool to see them restore the New Warriors name but now it just went into WTF territory with Night Thrasher doing stuff behind peoples back for the sake of
    trying to go back in time and prevent the New Warriors from dying in the explosion

Kusanagi02 on
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

I was diggin the concept of them rebelling against the Stat quo of the registration and it would've been cool to see them restore the New Warriors name but now it just went into WTF territory with Night Thrasher doing stuff behind peoples back for the sake of
    trying to go back in time and prevent the New Warriors from dying in the explosion

I'm not feeling too bad I dropped the book after the second arc. I'm giving Grevioux one more chance with Adam, The Blue Marvel.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
    edited October 2008
    CBR and Bendis do "Spoilers of War" for SI #7.

Re: Noh-Varr
    Noh-Varr is going to be a big part of the post-Secret Invasion landscape. He's going to end up on an Avengers team but I won't say which one.”

In general:
    It's a whopper. We don't want to ship before some tie-ins but I do believe we're good for being on time, which I'm really, really happy about. That would make us the first event from either company that shipped on time. So that's great.

Crimsondude on
This discussion has been closed.