As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The road not taken

• Options
    MonkeybombMonkeybomb Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Defender wrote:
    She has some views about homosexuality that I think are retarded and somewhat dangerous

She thinks that homosexuals are comprised entirely of delicious cauliflower and enjoy being covered in boiling hot cheese.

Monkeybomb on
    Xbox Live Gamertag: Triplemonkeybom
    monkeysig-1.jpg
  • Options
    DefenderDefender Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    ascot wrote:
    Unless it were a "no going back" situation, you should definitely do it.

Nobody likes a "what could have been"...

The word "dilemma" comes from Greek. "di" meaning "two" and "lemma" meaning "problems". If you say "my car is broken and I need to get it fixed," this is not a dilemma. You have one problem; your car's broken. A dilemma is "between a rock and a hard place" where both choices are problems.

That's why I use "dilemma" here. I don't think I can have Kate back if I leave, and I really love her. Yeah, realistically, I'm not into the "soulmate" thing and I think I could find another girl. But hey, maybe I could also find another job in this industry. No matter what I do, there will be a "road not taken" that will look fantastically happy.

Defender on
  • Options
    Lord DaveLord Dave Grief Causer Bitch Free ZoneRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Monkeybomb wrote:
    Defender wrote:
    She has some views about homosexuality that I think are retarded and somewhat dangerous

She thinks that homosexuals are comprised entirely of delicious cauliflower and enjoy being covered in boiling hot cheese.

well who isn't doresnt'?

isn't

my brain is full of disease

Lord Dave on
    mkc.png
  • Options
    BogeyBogey I'm back, baby! Santa Monica, CAModerator mod
    edited January 2007
    UbiSoft has their offices up in the Bay Area, I believe.

NoCal sucks!

Bogey on
    Fitocracy: Join us in the SE++ group!
    XBox LIVE: Bogestrom | Destiny
    PSN: Bogestrom
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Bogey wrote:
    UbiSoft has their offices up in the Bay Area, I believe.

NoCal sucks!

hella sucks

choice made

stick wit' cher girl

hey we're out of "you will find happiness with a new love" cookies

Lord Dave on
    mkc.png
  • Options
    CalliusCallius Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    potatoe wrote:
    well...my 2 cents

it's just a job, it's just money
    if it means giving up your family, your girl, your life as you know it...it may not be worth it

what's more important to you?

I don't think this is really "just a job, just money" for Defender.

Working on a team that produces Prince of Persia is like a wet dream for him.

Plus, he can physically kick the shit out of whoever was responsible for PoP 2.

Callius on
    tonksigblack.png
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Bogey, will you give me a job, anyway?

I'm looking for handouts here. How else can I live the American dream?

Monkeybomb on
    monkeysig-1.jpg
  • Options
    SlungsolowSlungsolow Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    if it is up in the Bay, I'd say no... the cost of living is absysmal.

Slungsolow on
    fuck your forums, fuck your administrator and fuck dynagrip for getting away with the long troll.
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    Is this thread about the Hershey highway?

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Druhim wrote:
    Is this thread about the Hershey highway?
    No, Defender's girlfriend hates fags.

Aneurhythmia on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Callius wrote:
    potatoe wrote:
    well...my 2 cents

it's just a job, it's just money
    if it means giving up your family, your girl, your life as you know it...it may not be worth it

what's more important to you?

I don't think this is really "just a job, just money" for Defender.

Working on a team that produces Prince of Persia is like a wet dream for him.

Plus, he can physically kick the shit out of whoever was responsible for PoP 2.

Yeah I mean I remember when I was in eighth grade, I hacked the Prince of Persia level file and wrote an editor in QBASIC so I could make my own levels. And then I did make my own levels, an entirely new set of levels for the original (PC version) game. Granted, that wasn't Ubisoft, but the point is that I've loved Prince of Persia for a very long time, and even though Ubisoft isn't (probably) going to make any more actual PoP games, the spirit that was established in SoT and TTT is going to be carried on into new projects, Assassin's Creed being the first.

And yes I can beat that idiot down with my awesome karate powers while shouting stuff like "I AM THE DEFENDER OF SE++...AND THE KING OF FISTS" or "YOU SHALL PAY TENFOLD FOR YOUR TRANSGRESSIONS AGAINST JORDAN MECHNER!" and other such retarded crap.

Defender on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Monkeybomb wrote:
    Bogey, will you give me a job, anyway?

I'm looking for handouts here. How else can I live the American dream?
    I can try.

If you really want to work for the Evil Empire though, going through Lord Dave is your best bet.

Bogey on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Slungsolow wrote:

I think the guy said Stanford...? I don't know the geography out there.

Defender on
  • Options
    naporeonnaporeon Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Defender wrote:
    Slungsolow wrote:

Palo Alto?

naporeon on
  • Options
    ascotascot Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I just realised I don't think ive ever been in a situation like this, i've never had to deliberate this much, I've always known exactly what I wanted.

When I had my stupid quarter-life-crisis i thought about it, then dumped my girlfriend, quit my job, changed university course then deferred entry until the next semester all within the space of 2 days.

I totally totally believe in gut feeling, but i guess it's personal choice. Some people might (and did) think what i did was incredibly stupid/rash, but hey it worked for me.

ascot on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    ascot wrote:
    I just realised I don't think ive ever been in a situation like this, i've never had to deliberate this much, I've always known exactly what I wanted.

I've always known what I want. The problem here is the conflict between multiple things that I want.

Defender on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Lord David Penis

Monkeybomb on
    monkeysig-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Defender wrote:
    Slungsolow wrote:
    Are you sure? Because I know that they have a main office in San Francisco. Stanford is still considered East Bay Area though and the cost of living is up there.

Bogey on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Monkeybomb wrote:
    Lord David Penis

sup

Lord Dave on
    mkc.png
  • Options
    denihilistdenihilist Ancient and Mighty Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2007
    Defender wrote:
    I've always known what I want. The problem here is the conflict between multiple things that I want.
    If that's truly the case, you can't make a 'wrong' decision. Knowing you, you will make the decision you feel is best and stick with it. I will say this, regardless of what you decide, you should meet with people. Just to network.

denihilist on
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Bogey wrote:
    Defender wrote:
    Slungsolow wrote:
    Are you sure? Because I know that they have a main office in San Francisco. Stanford is still considered East Bay Area though and the cost of living is up there.

Oh man, cost of living anywhere in the Bay Area is bullshit.

Moriveth on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Lord Dave wrote:
    Monkeybomb wrote:
    Lord David Penis

sup

I do not believe that you are next door.

Monkeybomb on
    monkeysig-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Monkeybomb wrote:
    Lord Dave wrote:
    Monkeybomb wrote:
    Lord David Penis

sup

well I do not believe that you are build a snowman

Lord Dave on
    mkc.png
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    denihilist wrote:
    Defender wrote:
    If that's truly the case, you can't make a 'wrong' decision. Knowing you, you will make the decision you feel is best and stick with it. I will say this, regardless of what you decide, you should meet with people. Just to network.
    Yeah, if you explain to them that you can't move down there because your girlfriend hates fags, they might be able to point you towards associates in your area.

Aneurhythmia on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Lord Dave wrote:
    Monkeybomb wrote:
    Lord Dave wrote:
    Monkeybomb wrote:
    Lord David Penis

sup

well I do not believe that you are build a snowman

touche

`

Monkeybomb on
    monkeysig-1.jpg
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2007
    Rough one, D.

Well, whatever you decide, I hope it works out for you. With the pros and cons you've listed, if it were up to me, I'd stay. The family thing is rough, losing Kate is fucking brutal, and the whole thing of moving into a new job where you are basically slowing down your planned career goals considerably is not exactly small potatoes either. Sure it is an intriguing opportunity, but the benefits of staying sure seem, to me in my limited perspective, to outweigh the benefits of going.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    denihilistdenihilist Ancient and Mighty Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2007
    denihilist wrote:
    Defender wrote:
    Yeah, if you explain to them that you can't move down there because your girlfriend hates fags, they might be able to point you towards associates in your area.
    But not the gay ones.

denihilist on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    denihilist wrote:
    denihilist wrote:
    Defender wrote:
    But not the gay ones.
    Hey, get me some sort of film-related job. I have no experience.

Aneurhythmia on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    last night I had a dream that I emailed Mike Nelson and Kevin Murphy and said "hey can you guys give me a job I don't care what" and they did
    I don't remember what it was
    I hope it wasn't suckin' dicks

Lord Dave on
    mkc.png
  • Options
    Grandaddy DeliciousGrandaddy Delicious Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Defender wrote:
    Faricazy wrote:
    What do you do defender

Mostly real-time 3D graphics programming. So I do stuff like animation systems, exporter/importer/converter tools (like to get stuff from an art program like 3DS Max into a custom format used by a video game), particle/special effect systems, shaders, that kind of stuff.
    Callius wrote:
    Defender, I want an itemized report of the pros and cons of staying and going.

I want this on my desk 5 minutes ago.
    What other things would you have to give up exactly?

I wouldn't be near my family, I would have to find a new karate school, I would have to find new friends, and I would lose Kate.

If I stay I get to keep all of those things, and my boss' long-time experience in the games industry would get me closer to doing my own gaming thing, but it would not get me there as fast as Ubisoft, and it would be considerably longer before I got to work on something as awesome as, like, Assassin's Creed or whatever else that team will do.

Do it. Do it. DOEEEET

There is no reason not to. Your sister is batcrap insane anyway, get out of there. California is like the MMA capital of the US, new friends grow on trees, and if you aren't married to Kate already then you already have some sort of deep-seeded commitment issue that is going to eventually ruin all your relationships anyway.

Get out there.

Grandaddy Delicious on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Bogey wrote:
    Defender wrote:
    Slungsolow wrote:

I think that that's what he said, but my memory's dogshit.

Defender on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Rough one, D.

Well, whatever you decide, I hope it works out for you. With the pros and cons you've listed, if it were up to me, I'd stay. The family thing is rough, losing Kate is fucking brutal, and the whole thing of moving into a new job where you are basically slowing down your planned career goals considerably is not exactly small potatoes either. Sure it is an intriguing opportunity, but the benefits of staying sure seem, to me in my limited perspective, to outweigh the benefits of going.

No, staying causes his career goals to slow down.

Moving jump-starts them.

Callius on
    tonksigblack.png
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Callius wrote:
    Rough one, D.

No, staying causes his career goals to slow down.

Moving jump-starts them.

I thought moving jump-starts Kate and staying slows his karate down?

Monkeybomb on
    monkeysig-1.jpg
  • Options
    SlungsolowSlungsolow Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    you should at least go through with the interview process just to find out what they're offering.

Slungsolow on
    fuck your forums, fuck your administrator and fuck dynagrip for getting away with the long troll.
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2007
    Stanford is still, technically, in the San Fran area. I'm not up too much on bay area geography, though, so I don't even know why I'm posting this

edit: great. top of the page even.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Personally I'd say fuck your family. That's mainly because I need distance to like my parents. Seeing them on holidays only is my ideal situation. This seems to be different for you though.

Is there no way to test-run this Ubisoft thing before you decide? Try asking them about paid internships or something. See what the experience will be. If you decide you'd prefer home life to California dreams then you'll know your decision.

It's a little off-putting to hear that the girl you see yourself marrying will straight-up leave you if you get a job in California, but clearly there's more to the decision than that.

TankHammer on
  • Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Defender, I had an opportunity to head out to Redmond and work as a tester for Ensemble Studios and Microsoft. All of this was thanks to a man who's been working in the industry since Pole Position. You know what he told me when I went all fanboy on him out of gratitude?

"Making games is great, but games won't have dinner with me every night, nor do I get to read my work a bedtime story."

That was two-and-a-half years ago and I'm still in Dallas. Guess why?

Darth Waiter on
  • Options
    Grandaddy DeliciousGrandaddy Delicious Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Defender, I had an opportunity to head out to Redmond and work as a tester for Ensemble Studios and Microsoft. All of this was thanks to a man who's been working in the industry since Pole Position. You know what he told me when I went all fanboy on him out of gratitude?

"Making games is great, but games won't have dinner with me every night, nor do I get to read my work a bedtime story."

An irrational crippling fear of change?

Grandaddy Delicious on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2007

Because you didn't get the job?

Callius on
    tonksigblack.png
  • Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    you know how ironic it would be if you accepted a job with Ubi's PoP team, and they had you working on development for the Wii? :o

in any event, would this guy's recommendation actually do anything? and would going out there for just an interview and a looksee be boat-rocking for Kate and/or your family and/or your current job? at the very least, i'd think it'd be worth checking out, unless you feel like doing so would cause you problems or be way too tempting for you.

plus you'd probably get a free cross-country flight outta the deal.

fightinfilipino on
    ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562