As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[chat]eism

1404142434446»

• Squirminator2kSquirminator2k they/them North Hollywood, CARegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I still have 30 more minutes till she is out of class and I was just going crazy walking around not talking to anyone. :(
    Look, I'm... y'know, I'm not having a go or anything. I've been in your situation. It just seems like people here are trying to help you rationalise everything and you're kind-of dismissing all of that in favour of assuming the worst.

Squirminator2k on
    Jump Leads - a scifi-comedy audiodrama podcast
  • IreneDAdlerIreneDAdler Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Corvus wrote: »
    After reading more of the chatlog, she talks about stuff that happened on monday, and tuesday she was acting all moody and distant with me but said it was nothing. And to think last night she was acting like it was all right, and wanted to do it. I feel used if she is going to break up with me.

:(

She's probably really conflicted because she really cares about you and likes you, but she also wants to go out with the other guy. I don't think she was using you. Unless she just had some weird sadistic streak, if she didn't care about you anymore, she'd just dump you straight out and go out with the other guy.

I don't really think wanting to have your cake and eat it too is particularly admirable, or that that sort of action is indicative of real respect for the person you're in a relationship with. A lot of "not wanting to hurt" is more "I don't like conflict and am afraid to be honest". All IMO, obviously.

I wasn't trying to say that what she's doing is ok. I'm just putting for a hypothesis as to why she's acting like this. All I'm saying is there's no reason yet to ascribe any malevolent intent to her.

IreneDAdler on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Look Out it's Sabs!Look Out it's Sabs! Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Haphazard wrote: »
    So that's from the original The Office?

Yes. The good one. :P

Can't confirm it nor deny it. ;-)

This: "she really likes me as a friend" really fucking hurts.

Yeah it does, the worst part is when one time we were talking about what the worst thing you could do to someone else in a relationship and I told her the worst thing you could do to me would probably be to cheat on me.

Look Out it's Sabs! on
    NNID: Sabuiy
    3DS: 2852-6809-9411
  • SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Senjutsu wrote: »
    If she does want to work things out its not unreasonable for me to ask her to not talk or hang out with the guy who she "did things with" right? Like they do have a few classes together but still.

From a pragmaic point of view, I wouldn't say it was unreasonable. But when it comes down to brass tacks, you either trust her or you don't. If you feel like you can't trust her anymore, maybe it's just time to let her go.

Yeah, if you can't trust her to hang around with whoever she wants, that's not working through things.

You need to break up with her if you hear her out and you still feel like asking something like that. It will just eat at you, otherwise.

I have trouble sepearating jealousy from trust though. :(

I can't help you there. You have to decide for yourself whether this is something you can really work through if she wants to, or whether you just won't be able to trust her again. If you don't think you can trust her again, it's going to be easier to break it off now than try to make things work again and fail first.

Senjutsu on
  • Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    For realz though:

Sabs, you shouldn't be having "hopes" or whatever right now. This isn't about "getting your hopes up" that she's actually fine, it's about keeping an open mind. GO AND TALK TO HER! Don't come to any conclusions right now; if you go into the conversation thinking "she was definitely cheating on me/wants to break up" then anything she says won't matter, because your mind is going to twist it into something she doesn't necessarily mean.

So, don't come to any conclusions right now. Go and talk to her, give her a chance to explain herself. Start off with something like "I heard you might be having some doubts about our relationship. There's something going on, and you need to tell me what it is." I would recommend against out-and-out saying "You cheated on me! Why??" Let her tell you in her own way, but make sure she's telling you everything. If she says "everything's fine" or tries to dodge the question, don't let her get out of it, because this is a conversation you guys need to have now.

This is not going to be an easy or fun conversation. It's going to suck for both of you, probably. However, there is a chance that she'll tearfully confess to whatever was going on on Monday, and then tell you that she's thought about it and she really wants to be with you, not him. At that point, you need to decide whether you want to stay with her.

I don't envy you this, dude, but I'll be thinking about you today. Whatever happens, I hope you come out of it okay.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I still have 30 more minutes till she is out of class and I was just going crazy walking around not talking to anyone. :(
    Look, I'm... y'know, I'm not having a go or anything. I've been in your situation. It just seems like people here are trying to help you rationalise everything and you're kind-of dismissing all of that in favour of assuming the worst.

To be fair, he's probably slightly traumatized emotionally at the moment so latching onto overtly pessimistic or optimistic lines of thought as a defence mechanism is to be expected.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
    edited October 2008

I'm not assuming the worst, or else why would I ask if it would be out of hand if I asked her to not see the other guy anymore if we work through the relationship?

Look Out it's Sabs! on
  • Squirminator2kSquirminator2k they/them North Hollywood, CARegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Aegis wrote: »
    To be fair, he's probably slightly traumatized emotionally at the moment so latching onto overtly pessimistic or optimistic lines of thought as a defence mechanism is to be expected.
    This is fair. My approach was to simply dismiss the entire scenario and pretend it hadn't happened, which... well, it wasn't the best way to handle the sitch.

Squirminator2k on
    edited October 2008
    I'm probably going to go to my class in 15 minutes and ask if someone can hand my paper to the prof due to a crisis, and start walking to her school since I rather talk to her in person then over the phone.

Look Out it's Sabs! on
  • CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    After reading more of the chatlog, she talks about stuff that happened on monday, and tuesday she was acting all moody and distant with me but said it was nothing. And to think last night she was acting like it was all right, and wanted to do it. I feel used if she is going to break up with me.

She's probably really conflicted because she really cares about you and likes you, but she also wants to go out with the other guy. I don't think she was using you. Unless she just had some weird sadistic streak, if she didn't care about you anymore, she'd just dump you straight out and go out with the other guy.

I don't really think wanting to have your cake and eat it too is particularly admirable, or that that sort of action is indicative of real respect for the person you're in a relationship with. A lot of "not wanting to hurt" is more "I don't like conflict and am afraid to be honest". All IMO, obviously.

I wasn't trying to say that what she's doing is ok. I'm just putting for a hypothesis as to why she's acting like this. All I'm saying is there's no reason yet to ascribe any malevolent intent to her.

Oh, its not malevolent or malicious, its just self-centred and dishonest.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008

This man understands.
    You should all listen to this man.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I'm probably going to go to my class in 15 minutes and ask if someone can hand my paper to the prof due to a crisis, and start walking to her school since I rather talk to her in person then over the phone.

That's good. Good luck, little buddy.

Haphazard on
    edited October 2008
    Like I DO want to continue this relationship, I honestly do, it just depends if she wants to now.

Look Out it's Sabs! on
  • ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited October 2008
    Notre-Dame de Paris, 1831.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Elki wrote: »
    Notre-Dame de Paris, 1831.

Heine was there.

Haphazard on
  • stiliststilist Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Feral wrote: »
    This man understands.
    *bonk*

stilist on
    I poop things on my site and twitter
    edited October 2008
    This man understands.
    The American version is okay, but it feels like NBC are less willing to take risks with the characters than Gervais and Merchant were with the UK version. More happened in the 13 episodes of the UK version than in the... what, four seasons? Five? How long has the US version been running?

Squirminator2k on
    edited October 2008
    The main thing I don't like is how the friends who told me (a couple, my bestfriend and the girlfriend is a friend of my bestfriend's girl, its how I met her) are acting like it's over. It's going to be soooooooo weird if me and the gf work through this.

Look Out it's Sabs! on
    edited October 2008

This man understands.

You're a fool of a Took

Senjutsu on
    edited October 2008
    The main thing I don't like is how the friends who told me (a couple, my bestfriend and the girlfriend is a friend of my bestfriend's girl, its how I met her) are acting like it's over. It's going to be soooooooo weird if me and the gf work through this.

Concentrate on talking to her for now; worry about that end once things are clearer in your mind about where you stand on your relationship yourself

Senjutsu on
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008

Honestly I don't feel that the perspectives of your friends should have any substantive impact upon whether or not you and the GF work through things. If they can't deal with it, tough for them.

Aegis on
    Characters
    edited October 2008

Honestly I don't feel that the perspectives of your friends should have any substantive impact upon whether or not you and the GF work through things. If they can't deal with it, tough for them.

Yeah those two are very conservative when it comes to relationships, like they've been together for more then 2 years, while me and the gf have been together for 4 months, and we did it more then they did. <.< Also they were calling her a whore for what she did on monday.

Look Out it's Sabs! on
  • Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Hey guys, should I upgrade to Service Pack 3 for Windows XP, or just 2? I could have sworn I heard some stuff about how SP3 makes your computer run slower or something...

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
    edited October 2008
    And the way in which the AmPol thread is conducting itself with regard to the mutilated 20-year-old girl is giving support for argument of people like Deacon of why that thread has gone to shit.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    fuck all you healthy people

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
    edited October 2008
    Anyways I am going to log off and walk to class, then yeah. Byes

Look Out it's Sabs! on
    edited October 2008
    I wouldn't recommend doing anything other than patching up to the absolute latest update

Senjutsu on
  • CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Anyways I am going to log off and walk to class, then yeah. Byes
    Good luck!

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
    edited October 2008
    And the way in which the AmPol thread is conducting itself with regard to the mutilated 20-year-old girl is giving support for argument of people like Deacon of why that thread has gone to shit.

Are you kidding? I'm 75% sure that thing is fake

Senjutsu on
  • TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Stand up and take a bow
    You have no reason to celebrate

Tav on
    edited October 2008
    Gooey wrote: »

I was sick last week. I probably gave you my cold.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Gooey wrote: »

I was sick last week. I probably gave you my cold.

you bastard

i will e-kill you

*bang!*

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    This man understands.
    The American version is okay, but it feels like NBC are less willing to take risks with the characters than Gervais and Merchant were with the UK version. More happened in the 13 episodes of the UK version than in the... what, four seasons? Five? How long has the US version been running?

All I know is that Ricky Gervais > Steve Carell in that role in every conceivable fashion.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • IreneDAdlerIreneDAdler Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Oh, its not malevolent or malicious, its just self-centred and dishonest.

Meh, I don't think that's always the case. In this particular case, it looks like that may be a fair thing to say, but I don't think that always voicing every doubt you have about your relationship as soon as you have it is always the "right" thing to do. Sometimes you just need some time to figure out what it is you really want, and getting the other person involved just doesn't do either of you any good. You can't expect people to become stone to every other person that they're not dating, and so feelings like this will arise, and I don't think it's unreasonable for people to want to deal with their feelings on their own, as long as they didn't actually go out and sleep with anyone, which I don't even know has happened in Sabs' case.

IreneDAdler on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • The Raging PlatypusThe Raging Platypus Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Yeah those two are very conservative when it comes to relationships, like they've been together for more then 2 years, while me and the gf have been together for 4 months, and we did it more then they did. <.< Also they were calling her a whore for what she did on monday.

Your friends should be able to respect your decision, whichever way you decide to go.

I feel for ya, Sabs. Good luck with the conversation tonight, and listen to VH. That's exactly the same advice I'd give you.

The Raging Platypus on
    Quid wrote: »
    YOU'RE A GOD DAMN PLATYPUS.
    PSN Name: MusingPlatypus
  • ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited October 2008
    Tav's.

20030901h.gif
    Tycho wrote:
    This strip won't make as much sense if you haven't read Alex "Marweas" Rodberg's now legendary quote from this RelicNews forum thread. And let's be absolutely transparent - he and I do not disagree materially on the quality of forum discourse in the most general sense. In fact, I believe I'm quoted as saying that they "appear to incubate and empower a twisted menagerie of fucking assholes." And no-one knows better than I do how difficult, almost impossible it is to please truly dedicated gamers. These are all matters quite apart from how the public face of a company should comport itself.

When discussing comparatively inexpensive games a week or so ago, I mentioned Port Royale in passing. I've played it for an additional two solid days since then, and what was once infatuation has blossomed into a genuine commitment. Comparing any game to the original Pirates! is rank heresy, I know - it's like comparing your Uncle Bob who plays the harmonica favorably with Jesus. And Sid Meier is preparing a follow-up to his classic Pirates!, and it will probably be excellent because everything he produces is excellent. I have even heard that his tears can raise the dead! Port Royale, though, takes the Pirates template and coaxes it into even greater brilliance. To my mind, the greatest addition is an extremely dynamic economy of twenty or so commodities - and check this out. Using an interface that will fucking enrage you the first time and then it's not so bad, you can set up completely independent convoys of ships with programmable "Trade Routes" that can - if well managed - make you a lot of money while you take quests and curry favor with governors. You can make it as complex as you'd like to, dropping things off at special buildings you've constructed in different places, selling and buying at certain prices, choosing which towns you'll repair in, you get the idea. The ones I've made are fairly basic, only three cities tops, but they do alright - I haven't tried any of the downloadable routes from Fame n' Fortune yet, but I shudder to think of the profits one could garner with a spreadsheet and a lot of free time. I have no idea how this game got to be thirty dollars, but if they're going to keep selling it for that don't ask any questions. I wouldn't even bring it up.

The server is so busy these days that I have a hard time getting images up when I want to show you something, and ninety percent of the time that's probably a good thing for you. Cats in lederhosen or cats in other traditional garb are probably not something you need in any great supply. However, I had some Tron 2.0 screens I took that might interest you, just as regular geeks and not necessarily Tron zealots like myself - pictures of the Internet, what it looks like inside a firewall, I was essentially on safari. I wish there was more Tron left, I'm sort of depressed now that I've finished it. It's going to sound stupid, but I felt better knowing I had someplace else to go.

(CW)TB out.

he's in the stall

Gabe wrote:
    I just thought I would post his comment here since the link to it seems to be getting hammered. It’s interesting that he believes that saying he’s not going to post there anymore is some kind of punishment to the community. He is a PR guy. That’s like the fucker who fills my inbox with Viagra spam telling me he’s sick of my attitude and so he won’t be sending me anymore mails about turning my dick into a monster.

Originally posted by Marweas
    *yawn*

Well, I'll be concluding my participation in this forum with this post. Frankly, the effort put into keeping this miniscule community informed is not worth the aggravation or the time.

I just returned from Leipzig, Germany, where Homeworld 2 was demonstrated at a consumer Games Convention larger than ECTS. The game looked fantastic and people responded to it marvelously. Given that trade shows like ECTS are used to hype upcoming products, not products practically in stores, and given that VUG has about a gazillion games to market (most of which have greater earning potential than HW2) we made the decision to focus on other products at ECTS.

Enjoy the game.

I look forward to hearing more complaints about how Sierra ignores the community. I'm sure accusing instead of asking, and bitching instead of learning will accomplish your goals admirably.

Cheers, and goodbye. – Alex

I have been a fan of Mr. Rodberg’s PR bullshit for a long time. It appears now that he has decided to step down and retire from his role as corporate puppet. I remember the good old days when he would tell us how Tribes: Fast Attack was going to be the ultimate Tribes experience. You can’t get that kind of propaganda from just any PR guy. Alex was something special, and I’ll miss him. It’s a sad sad day indeed. Gamers the world over have lost their best source of corporate lies and misinformation. Who will grease the wheels on the giant hype machine now? What man could possibly fill the tiny tiny Prada shoes of Mr. Rodberg? Only time can give us the answers we so desperately need now. It is important that we help each other through these dark times. Alex may not be coming back to us, but we as gamers must still go on.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
This discussion has been closed.