As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

So does anyone support Palin?

PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
edited November 2008 in Debate and/or Discourse
I know there's an elections thread, and I don't really care this is less of a general post and more of a specific line of inquiry/discussion that I'd like to explore.

Palin. Who's in support of her?
I don't mean McCain. I'm talking specifically about Palin. Who sees Palin speaking and agrees that she's fit to be president?

Oh that's right I went to President. Because there's a good chance that she'd find herself holding the reins at some point. Is she qualified to be president? Why do you think so? Would you vote for her to be president?

That aside, is she the best choice for vice president? Is she best qualified to be vice president? Is she more qualified than either of the democrats in the race to be vice president?

Like, who supports this lady and why? How qualified d'ya figure she is? The whole situation is mystifying to me as an outsider and I want some answers here. If none of you are Palin fanboys tell me about the people you know who are. Someone has to be.

IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
Pheezer on

• CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Like, who supports this lady and why?
    Conservatives and the mythical PUMAs. Conservatives because she is prolife and a religious nutter and PUMAs because she is a vagina-american.

Couscous on
  • PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2008
    Your username is making me hungry.

What the fuck is a PUMA?

Pheezer on
    edited October 2008
    ASIDE from a large cat, obviously

Pheezer on
  • variantvariant Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Yeah, the real America. Fuck ya'll.

On a serious note, yes, as it has been said, the conservative base loves her.

variant on
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Pheezer wrote: »

What the fuck is a PUMA?

The mostly non-existent morons who screamed Party Unity My Ass in a "show of support" for Hillary.

Don't ask.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    My neighbors.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

What the fuck is a PUMA?
    Party Unity My Ass. Roughly six Hillary supporters who swore to vote McCain to avenge their candidate for having had her rightful place as Presidential Nominee stolen from her by voters.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I think the latest voluntary election thread poll showed like 6 people who were even for McCain here in D&D, and I'm pretty sure most of those people agree that Palin is an incurable idiot and are just hoping McCain doesn't bite the dust.

So... you won't get many Palin supporters here. Especially now that TangledBridgeThornsLondon or whatever is banned.

MikeMan on
    edited October 2008
    That hurts my head so fucking hard

okay so really though why do conservatives think she's qualified or is this literally just one of those party line things where the Republican Presidential Nominee chose a Republican Vice-Presidential Nominee so they're both better than anyone the Democrats could possibly come up ever and no we don't actually care who they came up with things

Pheezer on
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Look. She was picked for her looks and personal beliefs.

Politically speaking there are hundreds of other female republicans with better track records and more experience running states with more than 12,000 people and some elk.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Supposedly she has a 49% negative rating, which is a record high for VP candidates.

moniker on
    edited October 2008
    WHO ARE THE REMAINING 51%???

Pheezer on
    edited October 2008
    moniker wrote: »
    Supposedly she has a 49% negative rating, which is a record high for VP candidates.

Wow. You'd think Cheny would have cracked 60%.

King Riptor on
    edited October 2008
    And to answer the OP: fundies support Palin, because unlike Obama, Biden and McCain, she's a creationist, she swore the ban abortions even in the case of rape, and she supports the constitutional amendment to ban gay marriage.

She thinks this gives her a shot at the presidency in 2012. It'll be so funny to watch her crash and burn when another anti-science, anti-choice, anti-gay male candidate enters the race against her and all the fundies vote for him because "the bible says a woman's job is making babies, not being president".

Richy on
    sig.gif
    edited October 2008

VP candidate, not sitting VP.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Is it not possible she was chosen precisely because we know so little about her? Though it certainly raises questions their campaign doesn't want to answer, and a frantic media vetting process - it does appear that they might have been trying to bite into the Obama change vibe. Why not have a VP who is literally out of the blue. Who is this woman?

I'll bet a fair few people want to vote McCain directly so that Palin can progress in politics. In my opinion, this would be a catastrophic mistake. She should never be President of the United States. Ever.

I'd attribute most of McCain's recent troubles in the polls to her. Really, she has too much baggage (fhnar fhnar), politically speaking.

The_Scarab on
    edited October 2008
    Richy wrote: »

VP candidate, not sitting VP.

Ah. My mistake.

King Riptor on
  • DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Politically speaking there are hundreds of other female republicans with better track records and more experience running states with more than 12,000 people and some elk.

I believe they are all pro-choice however.

My ex-girlfriend was quite excited about her about a month ago. She works in D.C. for the RNC and as such, is totally drinking the company cool-aid. I think more than anything she was simply excited about some cracking of the glass ceiling on the Republican side of things.

Derrick on
    Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Is it not possible she was chosen precisely because we know so little about her?
    If she was, the campaign is full of idiots. If the media don't know much about her, they will learn a lot about her, including the normal dirty laundry that usually gets aired years before the campaign.

Couscous on
    edited October 2008
    All the analysis I've read recently say Palin hurt McCain's chances more than anything else during the election. including McCain's support for Bush. Voters are actually more troubled by McCain's relation to Palin than to his relation to Bush.

I mean, at least Bush has remained hidden away during the election so as not to hurt McCain. Palin has been front-center, and McCain has to spend more time each day cleaning up her messes than actually campaigning.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008

Caribou, not elk. Elk's a whole different thing, but makes for some damn fine eating (there's an elk farm about 5 miles from my house, makes great breakfast sausage or lean steaks).

As for Palin, it pretty much is the die-hard party fundie crowd that throws their weight behind her. She was picked as a way to appeal aesthetically to the independants (even though one glimpse at her record and stances would wipe that away) and as a gamble to try and draw the female vote en masse. Neither of which worked out too well.

A lot of her more extreme stances are shared by smaller, but vocal portions of the current GOP, and as such she does have some push as a figure head. But as a serious contender for national office, I don't think any truly rational member of the party would expect her to make it far on her own.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
    edited October 2008
    Derrick wrote: »

I'd find it hard to believe they would keep that line if offered a VP spot.

King Riptor on
  • Pirate ViperPirate Viper Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    My mother supports her, because she is "Down to earth, and knows what it's like to be a normal person". I don't really understand it, My mom doesn't really have the same personal believes as Palin.

Pirate Viper on
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    My mother supports her, because she is "Down to earth, and knows what it's like to be a normal person". I don't really understand it, My mom doesn't really have the same personal believes as Palin.

I've mentioned this in another thread (one of the earlier election threads I think)...

A lot of us despise the current state of American politics. We hate that the most of the people holding office are politicians, and believe that those seats should be held by farmers, businessmen, soldiers, and "full-time" parents. To a lot of people, Palin is one of those non-politician politicians, and that's what they like.

I'm not saying I agree that she is, but I think that's why a lot of people like her.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Some people do have integrity.

I mean John McCain flip flopped on the issue so I suppose it's possible. But that is mighty shakey ground politically speaking.

Derrick on
    Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I think the more important question would have been "Who on this forum supports Palin?"

Quid on
  • Pirate ViperPirate Viper Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    That's basically my mom's defense of her. It's hard to argue against, because when I point out Palin's failings, it helps her. Sadly, I am from Indiana, so it kind of matters.

Pirate Viper on
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Local H Jay on
    edited October 2008

Some people do have integrity.

I mean John McCain flip flopped on the issue so I suppose it's possible. But that is mighty shakey ground politically speaking.

The issue is that if you change your mind 3 days before being announced as a VP slot it's pretty transparent what happened and that doesn't help you with the 'cultural' conservatives. Remember all the problems Romney was having with them? Not all of it was due to him being a Mormon, a lot of it had to do with him coming from Massachusetts.

moniker on
  • nescientistnescientist Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I think part of the bet the GOP made with Palin was that the most logical course of attack against her would be her lack of experience (and they could jump out from behind the corner and yell "like Obama!"). What they didn't realize is how quickly she would be shown to be a complete idiot, which requires no study of her experience and only a cursory glance at her interviews, speeches, or debates.

Then again, her idiocy is her most attractive feature to the sort of voters she has.

EDIT (after that video) okay, idiocy might come in right behind hate. It seems like an unfortunate portion of voters on both sides of the ticket are less excited about their own candidate and more terrified of the other guy for spurious reasons.

nescientist on
    edited October 2008

Yeah.

It's stats like that that make me want to fucking firebomb half the country to do the world a favor.

MikeMan on
  • IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    MikeMan wrote: »
    Yeah.

It's stats like that that make me want to fucking firebomb half the country to do the world a favor.

So you can see why...

Incenjucar on
    edited October 2008

Yeah.

That presumes 51% of the other people were decided. A lot of them are probably not paying attention. Also, she's at 60% negative with women.

moniker on
    edited October 2008

Yeah.

That presumes 51% of the other people were decided. A lot of them are probably not paying attention. Also, she's at 60% negative with women.

Stats like that, though.

Like, there's still 20 something percent of the country that doesn't disapprove of the job Bush is doing or doesn't know enough to judge him. 20 SOMETHING PERCENT.

That's millions and millions of clueless, ignorant, scary individuals, if the polls are to be believed. It's absolutely horrifying.

MikeMan on
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    There is a sign outside one of my neighbor's house that says: "i like her" with a bunch of lips around it. "Her" being Palin.

They are terrible people.

urahonky on
  • DetharinDetharin Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    The sad, scary thing here is almost everyone is drinking some brand of Crazy-Aid. (it was actually flavor aid, not kool-aid. Since most of the country had no clue what flavor aid was the news just called it Kool-Aid, which is incorrect.)

Seriously put the candidates and their VP's up there. All of the choices suck. Do you want Obama Crazy? Biden Crazy? McCain Crazy? Or Palin Crazy? All have their baggage, all have done some questionable shit, and all are going to fuck this country up in one way,shape, or form.

So I support Palin, not because i agree with her on anything, but because I would like to wake up one morning after the state of the Union address completely hung over and be able to say "We only drank so the president would take her clothes off."

Detharin on
    edited October 2008
    Detharin wrote: »
    The sad, scary thing here is almost everyone is drinking some brand of Crazy-Aid. (it was actually flavor aid, not kool-aid. Since most of the country had no clue what flavor aid was the news just called it Kool-Aid, which is incorrect.)

Seriously put the candidates and their VP's up there. All of the choices suck. Do you want Obama Crazy? Biden Crazy? McCain Crazy? Or Palin Crazy? All have their baggage, all have done some questionable shit, and all are going to fuck this country up in one way,shape, or form.

So I support Palin, not because i agree with her on anything, but because I would like to wake up one morning after the state of the Union address completely hung over and be able to say "We only drank so the president would take her clothes off."

...have you not been paying much attention, or are you just being a contrarian?

moniker on
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Detharin wrote: »

His middle "paragraph" there?

Yea... I'm with him. I'm one of those terrible people who will not vote in two weeks. I'll go to the polls, and vote for Governor, Deputy Governor, Secretary of State, and the other positions up for election, but I'm not voting for president.

If I don't believe in the candidate, I cannot in good conscience give them my vote.

Edit: While we're talking about them individually, is there a reason we vote for President/VP and not for each one separately? We do so for Governor, and there's certainly nothing constitutionally binding a vote for both members at once.

I'm just not sure why I couldn't say, vote McCain for President, and Biden for VP. Or hell, Obana for President, and Romney for VP. -shrug-

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    If I don't believe in the candidate, I cannot in good conscience give them my vote.

So instead of the guilt of responsibility you choose the deniability of inaction.

Man, there will never be a perfect president. It's not possible.

You go with what will make the country suffer the least harm.

I don't care if your options are "Bin Laden vs. Stalin"

Incenjucar on
  • DetharinDetharin Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

I have been paying quite a bit of attention actually. Is their something you feel I have missed aside from my free cup of X candidate brand Crazy-Aid?

Detharin on
This discussion has been closed.