As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Prox's Mythtamer thread!

2»

• Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Meh, Just come with some BS about having to carry all that weight around has caused a compacting of the upper thigh bone. Problem solved.

Mustang on
  • Options
    PROXPROX Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Main body done:
    mythprog4.jpg

Shoulder, helm, rope, staff remain

PROX on
  • Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Looking really nice Prox.

I think the comment about the legs is in reference to the first screenshot, where the legs look like they're going straight down from the pelvis
    Like this:
    _
    I I

Rather then:
    _
    / \

But screen shots of 3d models almost always look weird, and it looks alright int he other shots. The loincloth and pant-cuffs hide alot as well.

A tip I picked up a while ago for unwrapping and textured character models:
    Before you unwrap, try to set the model into a "neutral" pose, rather then a T pose. Bend every joint to it's middle position (shoulders, elbows, and knees should be at a 45 degree bend). Then unwrap and texture.
    What this does is reduce the amount of noticeable stretching in the texture when the mesh deforms. It also apparently makes rigging the model alot easier (but I have yet to try this).

So like, you have your character's arms straight out, so the mesh of the shoulder is squished. Then you've unwrapped and textured. But then when you go to rig and animate the model, her arms will bend down, stretching out the shoulder mesh and texture. Because you painted it when it was compressed, it will stretch even more then necessary then if it was at a neutral bend when you unwrapped it.

Nothing I'd worry about now, but something to keep in mind for the future.

I need to do more low-poly painty type models. High poly stuff takes so frigging long.

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    thanks for the tips gibs. I will do neutral poses to decrease stretching. What have you been up to?
    hmm...45 degree? that's a crazy angle. that means the legs will be tucked up under the but...do you mean...90?

oh now i get it.

PROX on
  • Options
    HeartlashHeartlash Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    It's been a long time since I've done any 3d stuff, so my memory may be a bit fuzzy, but aren't your not meant to use non-manifold geometry in early modeling stages? (Poly faces that don't have 4 sides, etc).

If you plan on rigging that character it will probably cause problems during skinning.

The texturing looks pretty boss, though.

Heartlash on
    My indie mobile gaming studio: Elder Aeons
    Our first game is now available for free on Google Play: Frontier: Isle of the Seven Gods
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    PROX, my friend, I would play any game in which this girl was a playable character.

"Lookit my fancy duds, bitches!"

Tam on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Heartlash wrote: »
    It's been a long time since I've done any 3d stuff, so my memory may be a bit fuzzy, but aren't your not meant to use non-manifold geometry in early modeling stages? (Poly faces that don't have 4 sides, etc).

If you plan on rigging that character it will probably cause problems during skinning.

The texturing looks pretty boss, though.

I'm using quads and triangles. In my uv there is a 5 sided shape because it's a hole for the arm.

THANKS TAM. THAT"S WHY I GAVE YOU WORMS.

PROX on