As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Toner cartridges - OEM or Knock-off?

Monolithic_DomeMonolithic_Dome Registered User regular
edited October 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
I just bought me a new laser printer. It's pretty sweet.

I'd like to purchase a back-up toner cartridge for it, as running out of toner when your fiancee needs to get a term paper printed or something is bad.

In the bad old days of inkjet I purchased whatever cheapo cartridge I could get my paws on, but as a toner cartridge is a bit more of a substantial investment I need to ask:

OEM Cartridge for 70 Bucks or Compatible Cartridge For $33?

If the "compatible" cartridge is going to die on me after 1/2 the pages or ruin my printer I'll gladly pay the premium, but 37 bucks is 37 bucks.

This would also be a good place to recommend me reputable sites on which to purchase 3rd-party cartridges.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Monolithic_Dome on

• Options
    RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    OEM until the printer warranty runs out.

Some printer warranties have a clause that says you have to use manufacturer approved cartridges. Anything else will void the warranty.

Ruckus on
  • Options
    sinnsinn Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    My company goes through about $2500 worth of toner each month, lots and lots of cartridges. When I first started here I switched us over to all compatibles (saved nearly 1000/month) and we have no complaints at all.

Not a single failed cartridge yet. So I'd say go for it.

Also, if you're the adventurous type: I went a step further with my home printer, buying toner refill kits for $7 online (vs $70 for an OEM cart). Pull the plug off the cartridge, fill it up with the funnel shaped bottle cap, and off you go.

sinn on
    He who controls the past controls the future. He who controls the present controls the past.
  • Options
    supabeastsupabeast Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Think about it this way: does it really matter if the quality of the printing is a little bit off? If not, go for the savings.

supabeast on
  • Options
    CrashtardCrashtard Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    We use compatible cartridges where I work as well, and we've had no complaints so far. The only thing I've seen a couple times is that the printer doesn't recognize the cartridges have been changed and it tells us that the cartridge is empty. That's only happened a couple times though.

Crashtard on
    I pinky swear that we will not screw you.

Crashtard.jpg
  • Options
    Q_PrimeQ_Prime Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Crashtard wrote: »
    We use compatible cartridges where I work as well, and we've had no complaints so far. The only thing I've seen a couple times is that the printer doesn't recognize the cartridges have been changed and it tells us that the cartridge is empty. That's only happened a couple times though.

depending on the brand you can sometimes override the message. if it's an epson you need a reset device which tells the chip that the ink cartridge can print some really high number of prints.

if you're using HP or Canon printers, you might cause damage to the print head by using ink refills though. (ink printers only) since the ink acts as a coolant for the print head, Epson uses an electrical charge to release the ink so it's not really susceptible to that. if you use a cartridge that has a built in head i'd say refill it 2-4 times and then recycle it.

on the topic of toner though, i don't think it'd matter. toner quality doesn't really drop that much as laser printers are not usually used for photos so it's only text and graphs, sometimes you can even find compatible cartridges that have a higher print count then regular cartridges.

Q_Prime on