As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Old school 8-bit black mage, 2000 wooden cubes

thorkonthorkon Registered User regular
edited October 2008 in Artist's Corner
I just finished this 3 weeks or so ago and I figured you guys might like some old school final fantasy :).

I have a video of building the whole thing in 9 minutes but if your in a hurry and want to see the end result skip to 8:25 (I suggest clicking on high quality at bottom of video)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoUVgK65FIA

If you didnt want to click on it (Shame on you) heres a few pics
comparison-1.jpg

Black mage on the move heh
CIMG4904-1.jpg

And one of the reasons for making this was I decided I needed a new computer case

CIMG5081.jpg

CIMG4902.jpg

Fan controller/Media reader
CIMG5015.jpg

I'm not good at sketching or painting, and I like to express myself and play video games so this idea came to mind. I love art that also has uses and you can interact with. What better way then to high five the black mage to turn him on? I am probably going to make white mage next year for the g/f. The white mage will be more difficult I'm thinking and I'm trying to brainstorm ideas on what to do with it in the way of computer components. The black mage has the optical drive mouth, orb, shoulder Usb hub, Media reader on bottom front that pulls out. So if you guys know of some interesting computer components I can work with my next one that would be great. I want to avoid trying to have the same similar....attributes?

I had a comment on his hands seeming small and whatnot but I feel its good.

Comments?

Photobucket album of black mage http://s29.photobucket.com/albums/c275/thorkon/Black%20mage/[/QUOTE]

thorkon on

• Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Hahaha, this is funny and awesome all at the same time. Well done, sir.

I would have put it up as a statue, but I don't need a pc case.

Again, bravo.

Tam on
  • Options
    SublimusSublimus Artist. nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    While this obviously completely awesome, I cant help but think there are much better material choices out there than tiny wooden blocks.

Perhaps your paying homage to the pixel in a 3d manner.

Or perhaps I am just lazy and jealous of all the work you put in, I don't know.

In any case, I think he is a little wide, and would have made him thinner. I dont think it would be too big of an issue to deviate from the front shot of the true character in this case.

GOOD WORK, SON!

Sublimus on
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME??

This is awesome!!! I was really impressed when I saw the CD drive...I got a good chuckle out of the "on the move" image, too. OH man. you've even got the electricity ball there, too. Oh man. Hilariously great.

I'll agree that the hands are a bit small, but...still, pretty awesome. :D

Good show, ole chum!

[edit] you know what? Reported for awesome, because it's awesome.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Sublimus wrote: »
    While this obviously completely awesome, I cant help but think there are much better material choices out there than tiny wooden blocks.

Perhaps your paying homage to the pixel in a 3d manner.

Or perhaps I am just lazy and jealous of all the work you put in, I don't know.

In any case, I think he is a little wide, and would have made him thinner. I dont think it would be too big of an issue to deviate from the front shot of the true character in this case.

GOOD WORK, SON!

Thanks for insight. I will definately do some more checks on my next one for a good width and length ratio.

I was using 1 inch wooden cubes to get the 2D effect and my goal was to have it look like 8bit from any direction and use mainly wood. I used a modified harddrive bay i cut in half and one brass hinge. Everything else is wood and wood glue.

He definately came out bigger than expected. He is actually wide in the front since hes not long and thin like a normal case and i had to be sure there was enough space for parts. He is about 90 lbs so maybe thats why he is wide bc he is fat :)

thorkon on
  • Options
    desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Hilarious and awesome. That's really impressive.

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    Asamof the HorribleAsamof the Horrible Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    This is fucking awesome

Asamof the Horrible on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I have not actually had anyone comment that this is funny/hilarious until here lol. Weird

thorkon on
  • Options
    the cheatthe cheat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2008
    It is funny and cute and radawesome. You should be extremely proud of yourself!

Goddamn and he has one of those electric balls!

the cheat on
    tKfL2Yd.png?1
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I hope you emailed any of this to 8-bit theater.

Goose! on
  • Options
    vrempirevrempire Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Wheeewww..what a work at the scale of masterpiece you got there, thorkon.
    It is really awesome!!

vrempire on
    vrembanner.gif
  • Options
    AllanAllan Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    This case is freakin' amazing, man.

I gotta know, what specs you running in this thing?

Allan on
    banndd1av6.gifbannerdd2or5.gif
  • Options
    D-RobeD-Robe Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    This is pure "win", as they say.

D-Robe on
    Cheese.
  • Options
    HeartlashHeartlash Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    That video made me want to find my Nightwish CD.

And to come to your house, knock you out, and steal your awesome creation.

(disclaimer: there will be no actual coming to your house or knocking you out. Simply pure, unadultered envy)

Heartlash on
    My indie mobile gaming studio: Elder Aeons
    Our first game is now available for free on Google Play: Frontier: Isle of the Seven Gods
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    As of now I got 8800 gt with a Q6600 processor. I planned on doing SLI but after the case was built i realized there is not enough room for 2 cards.

Ha good luck finding me as im in a efficiency apartment and not a house and lugging a 90 lb wooden case out of the place XD

thorkon on
  • Options
    saberlinsaberlin Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Dang... I don't think I would ever have the patience to actually start and finish on something like that. Well done!

saberlin on
    Moose R Big....yussms
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    The girlfriend just finished this:
    img431.jpg

Edit: I did try to send the computer case black mage pics to brian at 8 bit theater a week or two ago but no response :(

thorkon on
  • Options
    ShiboeShiboe Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Really cool design and all, but the computer scientist in me is very worried about the internals in such a wizard. I know the case functions itself as a heatsink, and also a ground, how does wood perform/overcome the problems of being wood in a metal robot world? Very cool otherwise!

Shiboe on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Well as you know that most robot computers eat nuts and bolts that I feed him thin wood chips. Just open his dvd mouth and jam some in there and try to shut it and voila he is fed for another day.

It runs better than my old computer case as now this one is out in the open and the other was confined in a small desk area. It doesnt get warm, Temps on the processor are at normal or below temps from what speedfan tells me. It sure does weigh alot more though then a regular case heh.

thorkon on
  • Options
    Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    This is pretty freaking awesome. Now I want to make a custom case.....

And I would be surprised if Brian didn't contact you back on this.

Foolish Chaos on