As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

(Dark, Mighty, New) Avengers Assemble! Long Live the Dark Reign

• wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Checking through Marvels November solicits I noticed SI: Inhumans #4 was pushed back two weeks from the 12 to the 26. This is interesting because I thought that issue 4 leads right into Secret Invasion #8 but this delay puts the issue after SI #8.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    You know, I wouldn't mind if she took the name Mockingbird, in honor of Clint's dead, alive but really a skrull, dead again wife...

Kate initially considered the names Mockingbird, and Hawkingbird, before Captain America and the Avengers told her she had to use the name Hawkeye, because she was the only one person capable of giving Cap as much sass as Clint.

Munch on
  • Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Angry wrote: »
    pretty sure he was referring to president luthor.
    huh?

what's that?

Sars_Boy on
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Munch wrote: »
    You know, I wouldn't mind if she took the name Mockingbird, in honor of Clint's dead, alive but really a skrull, dead again wife...

Kate initially considered the names Mockingbird, and Hawkingbird, before Captain America and the Avengers told her she had to use the name Hawkeye, because she was the only one person capable of giving Cap as much sass as Clint.

and Clint himself even approved of her using the name

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Balefuego wrote: »

Which is why there should be two Hawkeyes

smokmnky on
  • NabobNabob Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Sars_Boy wrote: »
    huh?

what's that?

Yeah, but Norman Osborn is also clinically insane.

Nabob on
    3DS Friend Code: 3325-2367-6821
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited October 2008
    Nabob wrote: »
    Sars_Boy wrote: »
    huh?

what's that?

Yeah, but Norman Osborn is also clinically insane.

Plus, what exactly did DC do with President Luthor? It kind of seems that the DCAU did more with the concept.

DJ Eebs on
    edited October 2008
    We dont even know for sure yet that that is what Dark Reign is

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Hey I remember hearing somewhere that "He" was going to be revealed in #7 (or was it #6?)... am I wrong or did I miss it?

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
    edited October 2008
    It's the Skrull god. I think it's been mentioned in a few books, but it's not really a huge reveal at any rate.

DJ Eebs on
    edited October 2008
    "He" is the Skrull God, pretty sure it was referenced in issue #6 (or maybe #5?)

But it's not really important to the story other than thier invasion is spurred by prophecy and religious zealotry, which we already knew

(Besides, Hercules already killed the Skrull god in the Sacred Invasion tie-in)

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Dareth RamDareth Ram regular
    edited October 2008
    (Besides, Hercules already killed the Skrull god in the Sacred Invasion tie-in)
    Boy did he get played. What a waste a time

Dareth Ram on
    edited October 2008
    Oh... that's kind of a downer... They seem to have been building so much off this statement "He loves you" and it turns out "He" is just a random skrull god that's already been killed in a tie-in? Weak!

I thought it was building up into this massive thing about who "He" was. God... weak!

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
    edited October 2008
    What in the hell else would it have been? I never really understood why there was so much speculation about it in the first place.

DJ Eebs on
    edited October 2008
    Yeah it seemed very clear from the first issue

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    smokmnky wrote: »

Which is why there should be two Hawkeyes
    That is just a little too derivative of there being two Green Arrows.

deadonthestreet on
    edited October 2008
    What in the hell else would it have been? I never really understood why there was so much speculation about it in the first place.

The mysterious tagline that the alien invaders keep spouting is "He loves you", and you think it's unusual for me to wonder who "He" is? o_O

It didn't even have to have been a god, it could have been some creepy cult leader we haven't seen yet, it could have been some mastermind using the skrulls... there were a LOT of things it could have been rather than some random skrull god that gets introduced and killed in a tie-in without ever being shown or properly referenced in the main story.

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
    edited October 2008
    But I never found it mysterious, because we already knew this invasion was a religous crusade

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I agree with Bale. There was never any question of who "He" was.
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    Checking through Marvels November solicits I noticed SI: Inhumans #4 was pushed back two weeks from the 12 to the 26. This is interesting because I thought that issue 4 leads right into Secret Invasion #8 but this delay puts the issue after SI #8.

Bendis just said that they want all the tie-ins to be released before SI #8.

Crimsondude on
    edited October 2008
    Well i guess we just think differently. To me at least when someone uses "He" like that in a story the expectation is that we should either already know who they are referring to or it is a mystery to be resolved.

Like, if instead they were saying "He ordered it" would you expect it to be revealed who "He" was?

It also makes me wonder why Herc isn't now parading the carcass of their god up and down the street... maybe wearing his head for a hat! That would probably take the wind out of their sales somewhat.

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Virral wrote: »
    Well i guess we just think differently. To me at least when someone uses "He" like that in a story the expectation is that we should either already know who they are referring to or it is a mystery to be resolved.

Like, if instead they were saying "He ordered it" would you expect it to be revealed who "He" was?

It also makes me wonder why Herc isn't now parading the carcass of their god up and down the street... maybe wearing his head for a hat! That would probably take the wind out of their sales somewhat.
    The times of the tieins are a little off, I assume. Presumably the big battle is during the god fight, and 8 will be during the final battle. The other option is that Herc isn't back yet.

Fencingsax on
  • frayfray Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Well the skrull gods have been around for a while haven't they? I don't think it's something Bendis just made up. Maybe I'm wrong.

Also since Dark Avengers is part of Dark Reign I'm hoping the Hood's going to be one of the key players. They're definitely setting Norman up for something big though.

fray on
    "I told you," said Ford. "Eddies in the space-time continuum."
    "And this is his sofa, is it?" said Arthur.
    edited October 2008
    Fencingsax wrote: »

The times of the tieins are a little off, I assume. Presumably the big battle is during the god fight, and 8 will be during the final battle. The other option is that Herc isn't back yet.

Herc's killing of the Skrull God takes place concurrently with Captain Marvel's attack on the Skrull fleet

but SI takes place over the course of a single day so yeah he's not back yet

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    fray wrote: »
    Well the skrull gods have been around for a while haven't they? I don't think it's something Bendis just made up. Maybe I'm wrong.

Also since Dark Avengers is part of Dark Reign I'm hoping the Hood's going to be one of the key players. They're definitely setting Norman up for something big though.

There isn't exactly a simple answer there:

The Skrulls had two primary deities, a male and a female. The male - the "He" here - had never been introduced before this arc. The female had been depicted and used several times over the years.

(as an aside: I love the story they developed for the Skrull gods).

mattharvest on
    edited October 2008
    Ok fair enough, I thought I remembered Herc being in the big fight in #7, but after checking back I can't see him.

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Ok fair enough, I thought I remembered Herc being in the big fight in #7, but after checking back I can't see him.

Ares maybe?

smokmnky on
    edited October 2008
    oh shit

what if the new Sorcerer Supreme is Wanda

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    but she's not really magic is she?

doesn't she just have probability powers

Sars_Boy on
    edited October 2008
    it's been presented both ways

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    That would be swell.

Crimsondude on
  • FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Wanda as Sorcerer Supreme would be oddly fitting. You fucked up reality, now you make sure no one else does it.

I just hope they make a nifty costume. Hers seems dated to me and she'd look stupid in a slapdash version of Strange's.

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
    edited October 2008
    All signs point to her staying in the old costume.

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • 143999143999 Tellin' ya not askin' ya, not pleadin' with yaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Five bucks has Wanda as magic's version of Penance, with a costume to match.

143999 on
    8aVThp6.png
  • mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    it's been presented both ways

Not exactly: originally, her powers were described as 'hexes' that were created by her mutant power, i.e. her mutant power was to innately be able to cast spells that alter the probability of something occurring. The only change is that for some time they claimed that her power accessed "choas magic" or whatever, until Dr. Strange said there was no such thing.

Her power is basically the intuitive ability to use certain magics, whereas others have to learn how to do so.

mattharvest on
    edited October 2008
    From what I understood, she used both her "hexes" (her magical ability) and had access to magic.

Faynor on
    edited October 2008
    Anyways: http://www.wizarduniverse.com/102508si7commentary.html

On Veranke:
    Another return of sorts happens on this page.
    BENDIS: I know I hit this beat earlier in the series, but if there's a bow and arrow and there's Hawkeye and there's a shot that needs to be taken, it's got to happen. It's a hell of a shot. It's not the kill shot. If it was me, that'd be it. I'd be done. I'd say, "I'm out!" and I'd walk away crying. But she is a pious, driven woman with power. So, she's still in this.

And also, the Luke and Jessica's baby:

I can say that the baby was a big red herring.

Faynor on
  • AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    see, i was totally right.

Angry on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Red herrings are so cheap.

Robos A Go Go on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Depends on which fish market you shop at.
    Hey-ohhhhhhhhhhh!

Munch on
    edited October 2008
    Well, in context, he wanted the reader to doubt everyone and feel that anyone could be a Skrull, even the baby.

Faynor on
This discussion has been closed.