As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

E-bay scam?

That_Spoony_BardThat_Spoony_Bard Registered User regular
edited October 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
So I won an auction for a Blackjack II phone. It said on the auction to use paypal. I got an e-mail from the seller saying

Hi (name withheld)

Thank you ,your winnig price for my item:

Item number : 140276498384
Item title : Brand New Unlocked BlackJack 2 i617
Oct-25-08 14:35:38 PDT
Is : US $197.50

Please contact me as soon as possible for new payment instructions(don't pay until you contact me). We can't use paypal right now,because we change the bank account number & my paypal account will be active in 10 days .If you have already sent the money -" US $197.50 ",please cancel your order,in any case contact me for new payment instructions . We will make the transaction through eBay system.

Best Regards,
--

Now I don't use e-bay that much...but this seems kinda fishy. Am I just being paranoid or what?

That_Spoony_Bard on

• Options
    RNEMESiS42RNEMESiS42 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Any time they change the payment method with some elaborate excuse, it's usually a scam. There's really no reason they shouldn't be able to accept PayPal if they were before. The odd, but not totally horrible English might be a give away, too.

RNEMESiS42 on
    my apartment looks upside down from there
    water spirals the wrong way out the sink
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    It's worth it to see what alternate method he wants to use, I'm not exactly sure what the eBay system is.
    You could also suggest waiting untill his Paypal account is verrified.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    2nd e-mail:

Hi,

I've contacted ebay. Let me know when they contact you with the new invoice(payment to the ebay agent).Please read the invoice very good & act as soon as possible .

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks

3rd e-mail from "ebay agent"

rom eBay <eBay@sof-ebay.com>
    reply-to eBay@sof-ebay.com
    to EMAIL WITHHELD
    date Sat, Oct 25, 2008 at 5:24 PM
    subject Your new invoice for eBay purchases -- Item# 140276498384

hide details 5:24 PM (19 minutes ago)

Images are not displayed.
    Display images below - Always display images from eBay@sof-ebay.com
    eBay
    This message has been sent from International AG to (dgkemble).
    Your registered ID is included to show message originated from ebay . Learn more .
    Congratulations, the item is yours. Please pay now !
    Transaction ID: : 7EU20368NW802713V

Dear X

Congratulations ! You committed to buy the following item :

Brand New Unlocked BlackJack 2 i617
    Price : US $197.50
    Quantity : 1
    Subtotal : US $197.50
    Shipping & Handling : Fast Shipping Service First Class : US $0.00
    Insurance : (US $50.00 - included)
    Total Invoice Amount: US $197.50 (including S&H and applicable TAXES)
    View item

Get Your Item Pay Now
    Click To Send The
    Money Via MoneyGarm

Transaction ID : 7EU20368NW802713V
    Item # Item Title Quantity Price Insurance
    140276498384 Brand New Unlocked BlackJack 2 i617 1 US $197.50 $50.00
    Item location : Kettering, OH, United States - Ended : Oct-25-08 14:35:38 PDT

Shipping & Handling via Fast Shipping Service First Class -
    (includes any seller handling fees) $00.00 USD
    Shipping Insurance (Included): $50.00 USD
    Total: US $197.50

Our records indicate that you are the winner and as eBay Policy you are obligated to arrange the payment immediately after the listing is closed.
    The seller lildub03 is unable to receive any payments at this time through PayPal because seller's account is temporary locked.If you already made the payment through Paypal your account will be credited back shortly when the seller's account is re-established.A bid or Buy It Now purchase on eBay is considered a contract and you are obligated to purchase the item#: 140276498384. Payment approved only for this transaction: MoneyGram.Our program to reimburse Users for losses for up to (i) US $5,000.00 USD for eligible items purchased on eBay.This payment method is approved by PayPal Buyer Protection and eBay.To enjoy the purchase protection, you must send the payment by the insured payment method below.For your safety, this account was locked today, for 30 days time. The Seller is unable to withdraw any money from it, within this period.Should you need a refund for this transaction, the insured amount ! will be taken from the Seller's purchase protection account an! d sent t o you. eBayâ„¢ Service - Payment Instructions for eBay Item Number: 140276498384 .
    Locate the nearest MoneyGram.Go to one of them and make the payment in cash ( US $197.50 ) to our eBay agent . Gramescu Dorel Ionut .
    Confirm the payment to the eBay Representative (lis! ted below) .Sending the payment by any other method will void this transaction and your right to refund !
    You will take MoneyGram charges from the amount insured and will send the balance.
    We approved this transaction and offer you as Buyer,full purchase protection for the amount you agreed on with the Seller.
    Current status: Payment pending. Purchase protection granted.
    To enjoy the purchase protection, you must send the payment by the insured payment method - MoneyGram.
    eBay Agent Information:
    Payment Address: Gramescu Dorel Ionut
    Str Nicolae Iorga No 12,
    Ramnicu Valcea / 1000,
    Romania
    Address status: Confirmed
    Confirm your payment to eBay Representative eBay@Sof-eBay.com :
    "The following information must be readable"
    1.Reference Number - 8 digit numbers from the payment receipt;
    2.Sender's Full Name and Address on file with MoneyGram;
    3.Receiver's Full Name - Gramescu Dorel Ionut;
    4.Amount sent. Thank you for using eBay !
    The eBay Team
    www.ebay.com Learn how you can protect yourself from spoof (fake) emails at:
    http://pages.ebay.com/ education/spooftutorial

Your account is registered on www.ebay.com . eBay will send you required notifications about the site and your transactions.
    If you would like to receive this email in text format, change your notification preference

Copyright © 2008 eBay! , Inc. All Rights Reserv! ed. Designated trademarks and brands! are the property of their! respect ive owners.
    eBay and the eBay logo are registered trademarks or trademarks of eBay, Inc .
    eBay is located at 2145 Hamilton Avenue, San Jose, CA 95125

That_Spoony_Bard on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    This screams fraud...

That_Spoony_Bard on
  • Options
    Ani_BAni_B Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Yeah, anytime anyone requests you to use Money Gram or Western Union it is a scam. The @sof-ebay.com email adress screams scam. Report to E-Bay.

Ani_B on
    Felt dark planet turn under my feet and knew what cats know that makes them scream like babies in night.
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I figured. I've contact e-bay. Thanks, this can be locked now.

That_Spoony_Bard on
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    CrashtardCrashtard Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    IF. YOU. HAVE. TO. ASK. WHETHER. IT. IS. A. SCAM. THEN. IT. IS. A. SCAM.

SERIOUSLY.

Crashtard on
    I pinky swear that we will not screw you.

Crashtard.jpg