As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

get your fresh, hot steaming piles of [CHAT]

OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
edited November 2008 in Artist's Corner

• GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    That's a pretty good video.

Godfather on
  • LoomdunLoomdun Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Oh. Look. It is a Loomdun, and his ugly face is being shown on the very first page. Is that hilarious. Question mark.

Loomdun on
    splat
  • TamTam Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    oooh poop joke

classic

nice choice, Orik

you know what I had in mind?
    Gregorian [Chat]

Tam on
  • NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Tam wrote: »
    Gregorian [Chat]

Nice.

NightDragon on
  • OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2008
    ooh, that is good

anyway, loomdun:

it seems to me that you really just need to figure out how much you want to charge for your time, because the graphite cost is negliglbe.. negligible.

Orikaeshigitae on
    edited October 2008
    yah so since i'm adorable and unkown i'll just charge 10 dollars per hour and NOT double it so it'll be like 150-230 dollars

Loomdun on
    splat
    edited October 2008
    that sounds reasonable enough. woo! another hurdle safely navigated.

i've also found that people tend to assume art is insanely expensive anyway, so although you as the artist think 'nobody will pay more than $30', the customer will think something like 'only $30? there must be something wrong with this painting' and buy some $80 'painter of light' ripoff

only art students buy $30 paintings, in my experience.

Orikaeshigitae on
    edited October 2008
    hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
    i'm trying not to link anything anymore but he saw..... this, while I was working on it and was like "durrrr can you draw meee" and I went "okai"

Loomdun on
    splat
    edited October 2008
    Gregorian [Chat]

Nice.

Yeah it is.

Next time, I swear to [I just remembered I'm an atheist]. Imma be like a hawk as soon as this page count hits 49.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I wish Orik was still a mod.

Tam on
    edited October 2008
    Loomdun wrote: »
    hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
    i'm trying not to link anything anymore but he saw..... this, while I was working on it and was like "durrrr can you draw meee" and I went "okai"

The hell is with those veins?

Nobody has those kinds of veins unless your training to be Mr. Olympus.

Godfather on
    edited October 2008
    The photo was very muscular I mean my bad, It was a assignment I had to do a study of a model apparently, he was probably flexing as they took the picture or something.

Loomdun on
    splat
    edited October 2008
    I am still a mod, Tam.

Orikaeshigitae on
    edited October 2008
    I am still a mod, Tam.

Man, what is with my browser? It's not labelling you or Mars as a mod.

Tam on
    edited October 2008
    i'm not an AC mod. my mod tag shows up in SE.

Orikaeshigitae on
    edited October 2008
    I am still a mod, Tam.

Man, what is with my browser? It's not labelling you or Mars as a mod.

Mars is a mod on mine, but not Orik.

NightDragon on
    edited October 2008
    I'm wondering how i'll handle my first commission. I see all sorts of artists up here getting work, but i'm tending to avoid it because I don't believe my skills are at the level in which I can market them.

I guess it's just bugging me when I see guys getting work when their actual work are just terrible.

Godfather on
    edited October 2008
    oh gee thanks thats making me feel better about myself. Maybe I should just not do it lol, I personally feel iffy on it because i'm still in a public college and it was thrown to me i'm not searching to do this. But its money, but I dont want crap to be held out to people.

Loomdun on
    splat
    edited October 2008
    Godfather wrote: »
    I'm wondering how i'll handle my first commission. I see all sorts of artists up here getting work, but i'm tending to avoid it because I don't believe my skills are at the level in which I can market them.

I guess it's just bugging me when I see guys getting work when their actual work are just terrible.

I think it's a matter of sticking to your strengths. Loom's is graphite rendering. Mine is Photoshop, and I'm okay with graphite too (although I'm trying to get better.)

Nothing's worse than biting off more than you can chew. I ran into that earlier this year with a band logo. It didn't end well.

Orikaeshigitae on
    edited October 2008
    I feel fairly confident in being able to do a accurate portrait, I would like if I could become a good painter and graphite artist though, I don't mind if I get strong or weak in charcoal but graphite and painting are my two main concerns. although I don't start painting till next semester.

oh and this little study of mine is due tommorow so... This is gonna be another night without sleep, I have a feeling i'll do fine next semester adding in a additional class still though.

Loomdun on
    splat
    edited October 2008

I think it's a matter of sticking to your strengths. Loom's is graphite rendering. Mine is Photoshop, and I'm okay with graphite too (although I'm trying to get better.)

Nothing's worse than biting off more than you can chew. I ran into that earlier this year with a band logo. It didn't end well.

I think my problem is that I don't really know what my strength is. I'm kind of waiting for my school to teach us how to render stuff, but all we've been doing is line quality exercises; gestures, blind contours, etc.

Which is kind of the reason why I only do linework drawings, like this dude I drew a while back:
    2008_08250140.jpg

I don't want to turn this into an artwork post or anything, but I just prefer linework over values so much. If it's done right, you won't need to lay down values; the lines will get your brain to fill in all of the details. Two of my favorite artists do this, and if they ever lay down values they're very quick and light.

Regardless, I am looking forward to learning how to render correctly so I can incorporate them into a drawing out of choice rather than because I can't shade to save my life.

Godfather on
    edited October 2008
    If there's one thing I've learned in four years of art classes, it's that you shouldn't rely on your school to do anything. You want to learn how to render, start practicing. Teach yourself. Do grid studies.

I did rely on my school and now I'm having to teach myself all over again anyway.

Orikaeshigitae on
    edited October 2008
    That's true actually; most of the shading/rendering that I did on my own during my year break away from school actually impressed a lot of people at my school. It kind of threw me off because I didn't really think much of them, and some of them were quick, fifteen minute drawings of hands that I did in my free time.

Godfather on
    edited October 2008
    Everything I can do was thanks to a combination of me influencing the school towards what I want to learn and the school itself + the time I took, I'm in 2 basic classes and 1 human anatomy class there not teaching me how to see the shapes I just need to know and throw it as a extra assignment for myself. If you dont throw the motivation in theres alot of things you can miss that would otherwise teach you a hell of a ton in one semester. I'm like the only art student in class that seems to listen. I'm hoping people become more open minded in classes for my future, it gets annoying. By the time I become 20 i'm gonna be readyyy to kick some ass. Also my organization skills are shit

Loomdun on
    splat
    edited October 2008
    As a dude who didn't listen, it doesn't really start happening. Ever. There's maybe four to seven people that are actually driven that I know in my art school.

Orikaeshigitae on
    edited October 2008
    Mine's a tad different, but there certainly are people in my school who are very lazy (especially in my group). I mean, yeah we get assigned a lot of homework, but it's nothing that isn't manageable. And the students that are churning out the best work are the ones that draw in their free time as well as do their homework.

I guess I have to really get the concept behind a certain element of art before I start cranking out personal work of my own. Perspective is a prime example of this; before you couldn't get me to do anything perspective-related, but after I had it thoroughly explained to me and I had a grasp on the overall concept it's actually a lot of fun.

I'm waiting to hit that same breakthrough when it comes to painting.

Godfather on
    edited October 2008
    The loomis books actually made everything a lot more fun. the dude is just so earnest, and he cares deeply about being an illustrator. if those books weren't sixty years old I'd shake the dude's hand, just for inspiring me to have a work ethic about my drawing.

Orikaeshigitae on
    edited October 2008
    Although I think I'm pretty motivated...I don't feel like I'm as motivated as I could be.

I mean, I spent a lot of time every day doing nothing.....browsing the internet, for instance....when I could be drawing, or something. :\

Eh.

NightDragon on
    edited October 2008
    Something i've been really impressed with are the Graffiti artists here in the city.

If you take a look at their little sketch drawings, they're very amateur looking, but when it comes down to it it doesn't really matter because they always make their stuff look phenomenal. Take a look at this tag for example:

2008_08250436.jpg

That's a real mastery over the medium. Something you just can't get from a canvas painting.

Also most of them have no training period. I think the guy above is an example of this.

Godfather on
    edited October 2008
    Although I think I'm pretty motivated...I don't feel like I'm as motivated as I could be.

I mean, I spent a lot of time every day doing nothing.....browsing the internet, for instance....when I could be drawing, or something. :\

Eh.

Thats called needing to rest, The most extreme case for me was in high school, 8 hours a day nothing but art when I whent home, then I drew when I was in school. I was so behind in comparison to other art students when I was a senior, my heads where bean shaped still. but I mean, I don't watch T.V and I didn't know of any forums nore did I know of anything to speak of (yes not even art back then) so I was more absent of voice then, then I am now. After I graduated though the most I did over this summer was only 2 paintings and filled a sketchbook I became very lazy, now that i'm in college i've fallen in a less extreme form of time being put into art (yah my final in high school before graduating I spent 60 hours on it in 1 week). So casual 2-3 hours a day then once in a while 16-20 hours in 2 days-ish.

Anyways the point is it's just better to take breaks your brain learns even when you dont work as long as its not like 2 year period. It's kinda like cooking eggs, they still cook after you take them a pan for a little bit. So its not bad to have lazy days.

Thats also why I'm doing art in the 16 week period semesters and english/Math in the 8 week. Since the classes are spread out more, my mind will absorb it more fully and develop more practical then if it was only 8 weeks.

Loomdun on
    splat
    edited October 2008
    everyone has a training period, everyone. you don't get can control like that from buying six cans of paint from home depot.

there was a guy in juxtapoz last month who said he spent three years writing tags in Ireland before he got good enough with spraypaint to get anything good done.

Orikaeshigitae on
    edited October 2008
    tag

That shit is fan-fucking-tastic.

Man. I really have a thing for good graffiti.

NightDragon on
    edited October 2008
    Thats actually why I dont worry about projects due in a short amount of time. I spend about 1-2 hours in it and give myself a 30-45 minute break. It allows me to endurantly last longer, if I where to worry that this thing is due in 26 hours then it would do nothing other then slow me down. So however close it gets to finish, i'll know that in a none panic state it will become better. So there is no point in panicking unless to make it worst.

Also that graffiti tag is for the win.

If you didn't panic as much night dragon you would probably finish your work faster, well maybe.

Loomdun on
    splat
  • FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    There was a zombie lurch in the city yesterday. I had no idea until today.

Damnit! Why do these things have to happen at the most inconvinient times?!

Oh well, I wouldn't have been able to go anyway due to stupid exams...

EDIT: Wow, I would pay to have someone spraypaint a mural like that on my wall. I just wish I could read what it said.

Flay on
    edited October 2008
    I have about a hundred pictures of awesome tags in my camera. They also work very fast. Like, if they were actually trained artists they'd be running circles around all of us here.

The unofficial rule of tags is, the shadier the alleyway the better the tags.

Also spray cans are expensive; at least $7 a can.

But I respect these guys the most because they are 100% confident with every line they lay down. I think it's because they're essentially running from the law half of the time so they only have time to put down the design once, but there's no better motivator than that.

Godfather on
    edited October 2008
    There are a few taggers at my school. they do run circles around everyone. i think the dude kind of looks down his nose at all the conceptual art that we do, too.

i do too, so i'm not offended.

Orikaeshigitae on
    edited October 2008
    I have about a hundred pictures of awesome tags in my camera. They also work very fast. Like, if they were actually trained artists they'd be running circles around all of us here.

The unofficial rule of tags is, the shadier the alleyway the better the tags.

Also spray cans are expensive; at least $7 a can.

Probably not though, they had the self motivation to keep themselves going which is what can also help someone in class go forward to. If you put them in a class then they might not like being given "assignments" and not being able to do what they want.

In other words if they where placed in a class, they may not listen, and not do the assignments, which could over-all hurt there progression rather then help. Depends on the person but in reality if your not self motivated you wont go beyond what "natural talent" gives.

Loomdun on
    splat
    edited October 2008
    oh also, i don't know any graffiti dudes/ladies who are not also kleptomaniacs. nobody could afford to buy that amount of paint.

Orikaeshigitae on
    edited October 2008
    Well yeah, that's why we don't see more of these guys in art schools. A lot of them can't take criticism to save their lives, and will usually just say "fuck it" and go about their regular schedule. My friend Tom is a tagger, and although he's currently attending the same class as me I can definitely tell he only does the assignments and then does his own stuff, not applying anything he just learned to his work.

EDIT: Most taggers just bum paint off of each other. I remember seeing this huge mural being worked on by a dozen people and there were stacks of paint cans everywhere, brought by whoever could bring some.

It was pretty much a "throw-it-in-the-pile-and-use-whatever" sort of deal.

Godfather on
    edited October 2008
    First time I ever gave criticism in my class I made a girl cry, then I /facepalmed

Actually I'm just going to go to sleep and work on this when i wake up so that I can have Sunlight, meh

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Forbe!Forbe! Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Wow Loomdun! You're a total badass.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
This discussion has been closed.