As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Old thread. Lock me!

• Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    So is there any word on when Steam will allow pre-loading? I'm not going to be able to play the game at midnight anyway, but I'd like to start playing Tuesday afternoon if possible.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • JohnDoeJohnDoe Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I'm pretty sure they took it out when they made melee hits a guaranteed hit.

JohnDoe on
  • Demitri OmniDemitri Omni Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Fig-D wrote: »
    So is there any word on when Steam will allow pre-loading? I'm not going to be able to play the game at midnight anyway, but I'd like to start playing Tuesday afternoon if possible.

They only allow pre-loading on first party titles.

Demitri Omni on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008

I don't believe non-Valve games tend to get preloaded. So, you won't be able to download the game until it unlocks.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Oh, poopie. Thanks for the quick responses though.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Plus I would assume that if you have to break the distance to your target, that melee would be pretty much a 1-2 hit kill thing anyway?

Foolish Chaos on
  • RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    So, apparently fallout 3 for the PC(retail copies) have a "...fluid-running version of SecuROM as disc access protection.", as supported by a moderator on the bethesda forums.

Man, I was all jazzed about no-DRM. That stuff makes me feel good to support. I mean, I'm still going to buy it, but I may have to get it from steam, and I don't download things very fast, which makes it a hassle.

Link to where I found this:

http://www.bethsoft.com/bgsforums/index.php?showtopic=891643

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • CarcharodontosaurusCarcharodontosaurus Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Huuuurgh. I am definitely not getting Fallout 3 via Steam. The exchange rate is so bad that I'd be paying $116.00 when I can buy it in a store for maybe $100.00 at the highest. Damn global financial crisis. :x

Carcharodontosaurus on
    steam_sig.png
  • taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

they let people preload about 3/4 of bioshock

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
    edited October 2008
    Raslin wrote: »
    So, apparently fallout 3 for the PC(retail copies) have a "...fluid-running version of SecuROM as disc access protection.", as supported by a moderator on the bethesda forums.

Man, I was all jazzed about no-DRM. That stuff makes me feel good to support. I mean, I'm still going to buy it, but I may have to get it from steam, and I don't download things very fast, which makes it a hassle.

If it's anything like Dead Space's, it'll hardly be noticeable.

Unless you pirate it.

Demitri Omni on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited October 2008

they let people preload about 3/4 of bioshock

Wasn't it already released before they offered it on Steam, though?

Demitri Omni on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited October 2008

Unless you pirate it.
    Yeah..then it won't be noticeable at all D:

And Bioshock was released on steam same day as retail, I remember it clearly because there was a bunch of us sitting in the steam pa chatroom bitching about why valve wouldn't unlock the damned thing already for a good 6 hours :( But now that I think about it, bioshock is the only non valve game i've ever heard of preloading

taliosfalcon on
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

To be honest, I've never really had issues with SecuROM, my main problem was whether or not Bethesda were going to start using the idiotic install limits like other companies seem to be doing these days. I'm happy they said they're going with just a simple CD-Check and that they won't be going that route.

Plus like you said there's also the Steam version. It will probably still include SecuROM though, it just won't be doing anything in that case.

subedii on
  • JohnDoeJohnDoe Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    subedii wrote: »

To be honest, I've never really had issues with SecuROM, my main problem was whether or not Bethesda were going to start using the idiotic install limits like other companies seem to be doing these days. I'm happy they said they're going with just a simple CD-Check and that they won't be going that route.

Same. I've never had any problems with SecureRom and its much better than activation limits.

JohnDoe on
  • variantvariant Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I don't know why they even do this crap anymore, yes its a Single Player game but you can just do a CD-Key check for a quick second.
    All of this crap is so futile, by putting it on you just put an X mark on your software for hackers and crackers just looking for a challenge...

variant on
  • PatboyXPatboyX Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Gamestop called this weekend while I was away to confirm my pre-order of Fable 2.
    Which pretty much makes me assume I'm not going to be getting the item I actually pre-ordered when I walk in the door tomorrow.

PatboyX on
    "lenny bruce is not afraid..."
    brush1rt1.jpg
  • The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Someone should do an overhaul transforming it into oblivion

The Black Hunter on
  • ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Meh just Fallout with swords. HIO

Prohass on
  • The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    HEYOOOOOOOOOOOOO

The Black Hunter on
  • GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

But...

No...

I was so hyped to buy this game, I fricking loved Oblivion so much that I even bought all those ridiculous addons.

I just hope this is some bullshitting or something, if it's securom then it's no buy for me. Such a shame.

EDIT: Oh please great spaghetti monster, please let that screen shot be a fake.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
  • DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    All it does is a DVD check. The guy tried to run it thru Daemon, hence the error.
    It's all in the rest of the thread you linked.

Djiem on
    edited October 2008
    GrimReaper wrote: »

But...

No...

I was so hyped to buy this game, I fricking loved Oblivion so much that I even bought all those ridiculous addons.

I just hope this is some bullshitting or something, if it's securom then it's no buy for me. Such a shame.

EDIT: Oh please great spaghetti monster, please let that screen shot be a fake.

If it really is one of those games that won't run with things like daemon tools installed on the system (even when using the original CD) I definitely won't be buying it, that's for damned sure.

taliosfalcon on
  • MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    It's a "fluid-running" SecureROM that just checks the disk. It runs live off the CD/DVD it doesn't install anything on your hard-disk.

Doesn't really apply to me though - I pre-ordered from Steam.

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
    edited October 2008
    Djiem wrote: »
    All it does is a DVD check. The guy tried to run it thru Daemon, hence the error.
    It's all in the rest of the thread you linked.

I just had a look at the screenshot. Guy got this information about how Bethesda "lied" to them off of a torrent site and he actually had the gall to post it?

It's a Disc check, that's what the error is showing, like Djiem said dude was trying to run the ROM through an emulator.

I couldn't say whether it actually prevents something like Daemon tools from running altogether. Talk from later in the thread suggests it doesn't.

subedii on
    edited October 2008
    MagicPrime wrote: »
    It's a "fluid-running" SecureROM that just checks the disk. It runs live off the CD/DVD it doesn't install anything on your hard-disk.

Securom does have a history of saying "fuck you, you have daemon tools installed, this game isn't starting until you disable all your virtual drives" for many games on many peoples computers, it shouldn't matter if securom itself is running of a disc or your HDD for that to fuck you over.
    edit: and man, I almost feel like an australian =p I just checked how much it'd cost me to buy it on steam as opposed to a store here in canada, and with the tanking economy its a 20$ difference..fuck

taliosfalcon on
    edited October 2008
    You know, I just had a thought. Surely because the steam version comes out a few days before the European release of Fallout 3 that's going to eat into the store sales quite a bit. I'm mostly guessing in English language countries especially, the UK games market is probably the biggest in Europe.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    edited October 2008
    I am kind of sad that they didn't have a pre-order download availble for Steam. Downloading 50-75% of the game before hand would have been nice.

MagicPrime on
  • JutranjoJutranjo Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    You know, I just had a thought. Surely because the steam version comes out a few days before the European release of Fallout 3 that's going to eat into the store sales quite a bit. I'm mostly guessing in English language countries especially, the UK games market is probably the biggest in Europe.

I don't know anyone who waits for a translated version of new games.

Jutranjo on
  • Bill CosbyBill Cosby Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    PatboyX wrote: »
    Gamestop called this weekend while I was away to confirm my pre-order of Fable 2.
    Which pretty much makes me assume I'm not going to be getting the item I actually pre-ordered when I walk in the door tomorrow.

I got the same call, apparently gamespot royally messed up their robocall for fallout 3 since a ton of people got the same message.

Bill Cosby on
  • Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    my brother told me fallout 3 was oblivion with guns...

how accurate do you think that description is? he also asked for me to get it for him for christmas....

Dunadan019 on
    edited October 2008
    Jutranjo wrote: »

I know plenty, for example; when Armed Assault was first released if I remember correctly they didn't have an English language version so I had to wait along with plenty of other people whilst they did a version in English rather than Czech.

Of course, it helps that 1. most games are made in English 2. most people speak English as their first or second language. I think that's why you say you don't know anyone who waits for a translated game, you're thinking of a game made in English which is the dominant language on the planet.

Anyways...

What I was thinking was that steam sales are going to cannibalise store sales in Europe quite badly. I'm guessing Fallout 3's publisher is going to be slightly pissed. (unless they also get a cut of the steam sales)

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
  • JutranjoJutranjo Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Jutranjo wrote: »

I know plenty, for example; when Armed Assault was first released if I remember correctly they didn't have an English language version so I had to wait along with plenty of other people whilst they did a version in English rather than Czech.

Of course, it helps that 1. most games are made in English 2. most people speak English as their first or second language. I think that's why you say you don't know anyone who waits for a translated game, you're thinking of a game made in English which is the dominant language on the planet.

Anyways...

What I was thinking was that steam sales are going to cannibalise store sales in Europe quite badly. I'm guessing Fallout 3's publisher is going to be slightly pissed. (unless they also get a cut of the steam sales)

In Slovenia, nothing is translated, besides the manual maybe. Atleast Steam will show publishers in germany, austria, france, etc. that people want the game, preferably in english.

Jutranjo on
  • BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Dunadan019 wrote: »

how accurate do you think that description is? he also asked for me to get it for him for christmas....

It's basically [strike]fallout[/strike] an oblivion total conversion with [strike]elves[/strike] guns, yes. Same engine, same reminders that text is better than poor voice acting, and no horse armor. Also lots of drugs.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • ShapeshifterShapeshifter Pants Optioanl Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Basil wrote: »
    Dunadan019 wrote: »

It's basically [strike]fallout[/strike] an oblivion total conversion with [strike]elves[/strike] guns, yes. Same engine, same reminders that text is better than poor voice acting, and no horse armor. Also lots of drugs.

Brahmin armour

Shapeshifter on
    steam_sig.png
  • CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

What, really? I've never heard of this before. What other games have used this?

It's kind of a downer for me, since my drives are noisy as hell. Can you really not install it?

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
    edited October 2008
    Cherrn wrote: »

It's kind of a downer for me, since my drives are noisy as hell. Can you really not install it?
    he meant the copy protection, the game itself still installs to your drive.

taliosfalcon on
  • HoundxHoundx Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

I got this same call yesterday in Ohio. I've preordered the CE for PC but now I'm thinking I'd rather have it for the 360. I'm gonna have to call soon and see what's up.

Houndx on
    edited October 2008
    Cherrn wrote: »

The game will install to your HD, I think they're saying that SecuROM won't if I'm understanding it right.

The CD-Check only ever really happens at the start when you're loading the game, so it shouldn't be an issue once the game's started. Ignoring that, I say ten-to-one there's a no-CD crack within two weeks of release, probably a lot sooner. I doubt you'd have to put up with noisy CD-Drives for long. :)

subedii on
    edited October 2008
    Houndx wrote: »

I got this same call yesterday in Ohio. I've preordered the CE for PC but now I'm thinking I'd rather have it for the 360. I'm gonna have to call soon and see what's up.

I think they were just auto-calling their list of people that have pre-ordered in the past and telling them they were going to be open tonight at midnight. Other than the Fable 2 pre-orders I think they are having some kind of midnight sale.

The only things I have pre-ordered right now are 2 copies of Wrath of the LichKing so I don't know why they called me. Unless the case is what I described above.

MagicPrime on
  • TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008

Unless you pirate it.

Whhhhaaaaaat?! God DAMN it. I Thought this game was supposed to be DRM free for fuck's sake! I've been avoiding all the AAA titles with SecuROM, and was excited about this one because of... well... their lies.

And you'd better believe that some folks (legitimate customers, no less!) notice SecuROM. Like, when it blacklists legitimate, microsoft made programs? Tells you which applications you can and can't run? Or when it crashes explorer whenever you try to right-click?

Yeah, that last bit has been since fixed, but doesn't it bother anyone else that the DRM they pack in with games has the potential to crash your whole system... And you never even agreed to install it? Hell, if I hadn't been reading here, I'd never have even known that it'd be in the FO3 install!
    JohnDoe wrote: »
    Same. I've never had any problems with SecureRom and its much better than activation limits.

What, are you kidding? SecuROM's latest version is what carries activation limits. That's what the whole DRM over spore this was about.

[/nerdrage] Ok. Sorry. Had to get that out of my system. I know it's not 'appropriate' to rag on DRM, because it's not a big deal to most folks, but it really pisses me off.

And what a terrible, terrible TotP. D:

TetraNitroCubane on
    VuIBhrs.png