As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

get your fresh, hot steaming piles of [CHAT]

• GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    My favorite artist is biz20, who is also a graffiti artist if it wasn't already apparent:

http://biz20.biz/

I've yet to find artwork more fluid than his.

Godfather on
  • NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Loomdun wrote: »
    If you didn't panic as much night dragon you would probably finish your work faster, well maybe.

Eh.

I don't really *have* to spend excessive amounts of time on my assignments, usually - I may average ~6 hours on each. That doesn't really seem like much to me. It's not finishing the work *faster* that bugs me...I've gotten to the point where I procrastinate until I know "okay, work time now"...because I can usually tell how much time I should give myself to finish something.

I don't have a problem finishing my work, or getting my work done on time........I have a problem with not doing much art in my free time, after assignments...except dicking around.

On the other hand, if I DID do a hell of a lot of personal work in addition to my assignments, I'd probably burn out pretty quickly. I've found I need a certain amount of "me time" versus the amount of "work time" I have. I usually keep the balance pretty well, I just wish I didn't burn out as easily.

Then again, I also can't keep track of time very well, ever. Something I thought took me 1.5 hours may've taken me 4 hours.

It's just that I look at these people producing amazing, intricate pieces of work IN CLASS and then doing the same outside of class...and I know I currently couldn't do that. I NEED to socialize and be around people a certain amount - and I'm willing to sacrifice a few hours of work-time to get the socializing in...which I guess, in the end, I'm okay with.

I think I just need to set up a limit on myself with how much time I spend online........then again, I probably STILL wouldn't spend most of my free time drawing.......I'd probably read or something. :\

Eh. I'll live.

NightDragon on
  • OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2008
    i like this guy.

http://www.blublu.org/

Orikaeshigitae on
    edited October 2008
    Well, work week is officially over for me. Come tomorrow it's back to the standard fare schedule.

I should probably go to bed now.

Godfather on
  • NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Godfather wrote: »
    My favorite artist is biz20, who is also a graffiti artist if it wasn't already apparent:

http://biz20.biz/

I've yet to find artwork more fluid than his.

Wow, great movement/style/flow and all that. Enjoyable!

NightDragon on
  • NeoRedXIIINeoRedXIII Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I just did a skateboard piece with blu's animation process in mind, but didn't document the process. It's supposed to be a statement on "street art". I also had Basquiat in mind. I kind of just want to drill the deck into something in public now. :D

NeoRedXIII on
  • Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2008
    Although I think I'm pretty motivated...I don't feel like I'm as motivated as I could be.

I mean, I spent a lot of time every day doing nothing.....browsing the internet, for instance....when I could be drawing, or something. :\

Eh.

This happens to me especially if I don't get enough sleep. I end up stuck in a limbo state where I'm not too drowsy that I can't function, but I'm too zonked out to be of any productive good.

So of course, lately I've been finding myself spread way too thin and the above status-affliction occurs too regularly.

If you figure out the secret to be rid of it, let me know.

Stupid Mr Whoopsie Name on
  • saberlinsaberlin Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Lets hear it for good art, no matter the medium used or where its done ^^

saberlin on
    Moose R Big....yussms
    edited October 2008
    NeoRedXIII wrote: »
    I just did a skateboard piece with blu's animation process in mind, but didn't document the process. It's supposed to be a statement on "street art". I also had Basquiat in mind. I kind of just want to drill the deck into something in public now. :D

can I see it? I like Basquiat a lot, even though his stuff is also high-concept IIRC.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • NeoRedXIIINeoRedXIII Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    NeoRedXIII wrote: »

can I see it? I like Basquiat a lot, even though his stuff is also high-concept IIRC.

I'm going to decide if I need to do some last things to it and then get a photograph of it very soon. Expect to see it soon in my thread.

NeoRedXIII on
  • PROXPROX Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    That is some mighty fine graffiti art.

Hey you know who is really slow at making art? This guy. I've been taking a long time on this 3D model, but feel like it's worth it to get it to a level I am confident in. But in time it took me to bring this thing up to code I could have done a lot more painting.

Also WoW's stupid achievement system and undead invasion take up lots of my time. Stupid warcraft...I love you yet I hate you.

Also aparently my motherboard is secretly burned somehow so i will be making myself a new computron.

PROX on
  • GrennGrenn Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Godfather wrote: »
    Like, if they were actually trained artists they'd be running circles around all of us here.

They are trained artists for the simple reason that getting out there and making art for yourself is far better training than going to school and having the manner of your learning completely dictated to you.*

Also, I personally don't think of this kind of work as 'tagging'. A tag is just the artist's name written in a stylised way and vary wildly in quality -- people who refer to themselves as 'taggers' are usually responsible for this kind of shite:
    graf.jpg

A 'piece' is what good graffiti work is typically called.

* Just to qualify this; whether at school or self-taught, art still does require some degree of training and understanding -- for some people, the best method to learn is for them to 'teach themselves' rather than be taught through a prescribed syllabus which they may find restrictive.

Of course, someone with no natural inclination towards art cannot simply produce work by the truckload and expect to get better but for some people they are able to just absorb and learn from everything they see and actually have that translate in tangible improvements to their own work.

Graffiti is a good example of the above because there are no schools (in the traditional sense) that teach you how to do it, the artists learn from one another, influence one another, generate trends, and establish standards and etiquette within the medium.

Also, on the subject of beginning to do freelance work, I am often astounded at how poorly equipped people seem to be when they leave art school/Uni, in terms of knowledge of how to conduct themselves as a business and how to actually make money from their art.

Grenn on
  • desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Fuck. I'm trying to write a press release. For my exhibition. How the hell do I make it anything but 'I LIKE SCI FI PICS I MAKE THEM LOOK LOL?'

urgh.

desperaterobots on
    edited October 2008
    Grenn, although you're right on many points, the example you picked is referred to as a bombing, not a tag. A tag is a name or mural that's had substantial work done on it, where as the act of bombing is the simple act of getting your name on a wall as fast as you can. You could not possibly have tagging or a piece if it wasn't for bombings. I'm not so much a fan of them either, but you have to appreciate them for what they were.

Godfather on
  • winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Total badass. If only this was as good as Escape from New York...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yflTzanT0Ys

winter_combat_knight on
    edited October 2008
    I'm sure how the terminology is understood probably varies from place to place but this is what I'm lead to believe by painters and graff artists that I know -- a tag is just a stylised signature.

The crux of my point is that, from my experience, graff artists don't like people who refer to themselves as taggers because taggers just bomb their shit tags everywhere and think that's all there is to it; they never actually learn how to paint or produce large, refined pieces.

Grenn on
    edited October 2008
    You're preaching to the choir, dude.

Orikaeshigitae on
    edited October 2008
    Actually most graffiti artists don't like the term graffiti, and prefer calling themselves bombers. Graffiti was a name given to them by the media and newspapers.

There's a documentary called Bomb It! It was really good. Definitely worth watching.

Godfather on
    edited October 2008
    Actually most graffiti artists subsist largely on a diet of emu larvae and live in burrows underneath the earth. They emerge under cover of darkness to stalk the living and paint their houses with strange, eldritch sayings.

Orikaeshigitae on
    edited October 2008
    This is entirely true.

A graff artist friend of mine just moved to Iceland and said the ground is not entirely suitable for burrowing and he's having trouble fitting in his usual amount of stalking and painting with the strange daylight hours...

Grenn on
    edited October 2008
    Once a year they hold a gathering at the Winter Solstice. Graff artists travel to North Carolina through unknown means (they are not allowed on airplanes) to congregate in one Motel Six off the interstate. Nobody is quite sure what they do there, but field anthropologists have reported finding "millions and millions of can caps" littering the parking lot. The motel rooms are all pristine, often being in better condition after the artists have left. Physicists are studying the phenomenon, believing that it may hold the key to matter-energy conversion.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • MossMoss Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I asked a mod if I could make a thread about this in G&T, but in the meantime:

VIDEOGAME TEES BY ME!

Moss on
    edited October 2008
    oh, wow. i'd love to buy that street fight shirt - have, in fact, been waiting months to do so, but it's $30 CAD, and that's before shipping, which I assume is overseas to canada.

that website is shit hot, though. best of luck, moss.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • srsizzysrsizzy Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Woah prices Moss. That's $27 for me for a shirt. Damned Brits.
    But I do really want to get the Trifarce shirt for a friend...

Also, you should put what dimensions that poster (and flier) is.

srsizzy on
    BRO LET ME GET REAL WITH YOU AND SAY THAT MY FINGERS ARE PREPPED AND HOT LIKE THE SURFACE OF THE SUN TO BRING RADICAL BEATS SO SMOOTH THE SHIT WILL BE MEDICINAL-GRADE TRIPNASTY MAKING ALL BRAINWAVES ROLL ON THE SURFACE OF A BALLS-FEISTY NEURAL RAINBOW CRACKA-LACKIN' YOUR PERCEPTION OF THE HERE-NOW SPACE-TIME SITUATION THAT ALL OF LIFE BE JAMMED UP IN THROUGH THE UNIVERSAL FLOW BEATS
    edited October 2008
    Unfortunately I didn't have a say in the prices. I would have liked for them to be lower :(

But they are really good quality and the exchange rate sucks.

Moss on
  • ShiboeShiboe Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Actually most graffiti artists subsist largely on a diet of emu larvae and live in burrows underneath the earth. They emerge under cover of darkness to stalk the living and paint their houses with strange, eldritch sayings.

Finally some facts.

I'm glad they all function as one cohesive unit so I don't have to think of them as individuals with differing opinions or anything.

Also, WTB snow not 90+ degree weather. =/

Shiboe on
  • LoomdunLoomdun Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Forbe! wrote: »
    Wow Loomdun! You're a total badass.

what.... The teacher was MAKING us give criticsm and when I had to say something on hers all I said was "the shading is weak, you can tell there was only one pencil used without any real variation of pressure" then she was just like "JRAJRIAWJEOAWJETJAWET" *collapse*

I haddd to say something for a grade and I didn't have a option of which one to talk on.

Loomdun on
    splat
  • ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Back on the graffiti/artist train (since I missed it). This is one of my favorite artists http://www.coro36ink.com/ Ugh, not liking his site navigation though.

Prospicience on
  • Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Hey, question. Does anyone remember the 8 bit graphics project that was done a while ago? Someone did up a couple of their favorite 8 bit characters in .... something that I don't know what it's called, but I'll try to describe it.

It's a crafts thing with plastic colored pins that you put in a square to create an image. I think you iron it in place or something? I don't know. I want to do something similar, but I have no idea what that stuff is called.

Nova_C on
  • LoomdunLoomdun Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    so when I was talking with him I jokingly said 20 dollars per hour and before I could then say 10-15 he said "Okai".

Yayyyyyyy money is being crammed in my face

Loomdun on
    splat
    edited October 2008
    Hey dudes, just wanted to say that after much persuading, my partner has agreed to lower prices. YAY!

All tees now £15 with £3 international postage. That comes to about 27-8 bucks.

I don't actually make any money per sale, so I'd rather make it easier for people who want to buy them.

Moss on
    edited October 2008
    Moss wrote: »
    Hey dudes, just wanted to say that after much persuading, my partner has agreed to lower prices. YAY!

All tees now £15 with £3 international postage. That comes to about 27-8 bucks.

I don't actually make any money per sale, so I'd rather make it easier for people who want to buy them.

Very cool and awesome news, thanks Moss!

*I'm ordering*... I was going to anyways, this just makes it better.

Prospicience on
    edited October 2008
    Now how do I get this shit linked on Kotaku/Joystiq? Hah.

Moss on
  • bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited October 2008
    Hurray! I am ordering the Zelda shirt finally.

bombardier on
    edited October 2008
    bombardier wrote: »
    Hurray! I am ordering the Zelda shirt finally.

My thoughts exactly.

Prospicience on
    edited October 2008
    Great job, dudes!

Moss on
    edited October 2008
    Are the shirt sizes pretty standard compared to, well, everyone else?

bombardier on
  • earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Yeah I want a Zelda shirt I just can't order it right now. Hopefully they'll be up for a while.

Also lets keep this graffiti train going.

My fav. Seen.

earthwormadam on
    edited October 2008
    Size Chart

I'm pretty sure that this is the correct size chart for the shirts we are using.

Moss on
    edited October 2008
    Hot diggity. I tossed in a Street Fighter one for myself too.

bombardier on
This discussion has been closed.