As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Greatest Song Ever...

delta2echodelta2echo Registered User new member
edited October 2008 in Debate and/or Discourse
In one of PA latest comic Gabe is quoted as saying that Jessie's Girl is the best song ever: FACT
While I understand why they used that song for the comic. I would like to offer up my 2 cents (for what its worth) and say that: The Knights of Cydonia is probably the best song ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jV1bRfLHA3A

What do you think?

"And the Lord did grin, and the people did feast upon the lambs, and sloths, and carp, and anchovies, and orangutans, and breakfast cereals..."
delta2echo on

• Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    This turns into a thread where people post their favorite song without bothering to read anyone else's post.

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    JamesKeenanJamesKeenan Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I sort of want to say that this could turn out well, but I'm not so optimistic.

First, I'll say that by bringing up Muse, you're going to be slammed, slammed with convictions of over-hyping the band. And I can't say I disagree. But being that this is all so subjective, I'll refrain from saying exactly why I don't think any song by Muse earns "best song ever," even if I do like them. And I do.

But if I have to pick one, I could say maybe "Time" by Pink Floyd, or "Starship Trooper" by Yes.

Or "Stairway to Heaven" Just because.

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    arod_77arod_77 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008
    This isn't going to go anywhere but Muse's best song is probably Citizen Erased

and with that I am done

arod_77 on
    glitteratsigcopy.jpg
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    What's a song?

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited October 2008
    arod_77 wrote: »
    This isn't going to go anywhere but Muse's best song is probably Citizen Erased

and with that I am done

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    You guys have obviously forgotten that Bohemian Rhapsody is the best song ever. Everyone go home now. We're done here.
    It isn't. But I'm betting on this thread being locked soon so who cares?

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Radiohead suck.

I'm being preemptive.

Tav on
  • Options
    JamesKeenanJamesKeenan Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    You guys have obviously forgotten that Bohemian Rhapsody is the best song ever. Everyone go home now. We're done here.
    It isn't. But I'm betting on this thread being locked soon so who cares?

I think I was sort of trying to be constructive...

Anyhow, at about 9:03, in "Starship Trooper".... I've heard the song hundreds of times, and without fail, just about every time, especially if I've listened the full way through... at about 9:03, that high note? Goosebumps. Every time.

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    delta2echodelta2echo Registered User new member
    edited October 2008
    I wouldnt know about Muse if it werent for this song. They are by no means the best band ever. But this song is the best song ever. (top 5 all time? work with me...)
    And I dont see why it would be a prequisit that the BEST BAND would have to have written the best song. I would argue the best bands are the best because there songs are great on average. But by no means the best. I cant imagine a reason why the best song ever couldnt be written by an average band. Each song should stand on its on merit.

delta2echo on
    "And the Lord did grin, and the people did feast upon the lambs, and sloths, and carp, and anchovies, and orangutans, and breakfast cereals..."
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Tav wrote: »
    Radiohead suck.

I'm being preemptive.

How can you tell?

--

The idea that someone can come up with the best song ever is silly. There is so much music out there. I can guaran-fucking-tee you that regardless of how much music you've listened to in your entire life, there's still days, if not weeks, worth still left to listen to (that you will like).

Sarksus on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Podly wrote: »
    This turns into a thread where people post their favorite song without bothering to read anyone else's post.

We could take bets on how long it takes for somebody to mention Rick Astley.

I'm betting on post 12.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Fuck Knights of Cydonia, because it took me ages to get through it on Guitar Hero 3. 96% accuracy for the first chunk, and then that solo.

Anyway.

It's hard enough choosing the top five greatest songs, and choosing the greatest song ever is impossible, simply because the value of a song is related to one's experiences both of the song and of life. There was a time when Talk Dirty to Me was a better song in my eyes than Ring of Fire or Poison, simply because of the story I could attach to it. Other days, I'd choose Through With You or Hey Man (Now You're Really Living) because I first heard them at pivotal times in my life. Those songs will always be greater to me than even BoRhap, because of the significance my own life has attached to them.

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Years ago Tycho posted on the front page that Fast Car by Tracy Chapman was the best song ever. He has a pretty good argument for being right.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    People have varying tastes.

There is no "best".

Tav on
  • Options
    SalmonOfDoubtSalmonOfDoubt Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Does Beethoven's 9th symphony count? I mean, it has people singing.

SalmonOfDoubt on
    heavensidesig80.jpg
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    killing children would be hilarious
    Olivaw wrote: »
    HELLO AND WELCOME TO THE PENNY ARCADE FORUMS

PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY

AND THIS PENIS
    Man, I don't want to read about this lady's broken vagina.
    NotACrook wrote: »
    I am sitting here trying to come up with a tiered system for rating child molesters.
    cock vore is fuckin hilarious
  • Options
    Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Ode to Joy in before lock.

Can't beat the classics!

Witch_Hunter_84 on
    If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
  • Options
    November FifthNovember Fifth Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    November Fifth on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited October 2008
    The best song ever is Won't Get Fooled Again.

Thread over.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
This discussion has been closed.