As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Great Gmail Giveout

OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks?San DiegoRegistered User regular
edited April 2007 in Games and Technology
Okay, so basically, I just now realized I have like... 49 Gmail invites, and I want to get rid of them.

If you somehow don't have Gmail yet, post here and I'll PM or Email you, assuming you already have an email to send stuff to linked to.

makosig.jpg
OtakuD00D on

• Gear GirlGear Girl More class than a state university Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Sure, toss one my way.

Gear Girl on
  • Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Eh, why not. I'm one of the few without Gmail, might as well get one.

Thank you.

Gorilla Salad on
  • TzenTzen Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I have hundreds of invites. Gmail is AWESOME. If you don't have one, you don't know what you're missing. If OtakuD00D runs out or just isn't around to give one out, PM me.

Tzen on
  • OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Awesome! Looks like anyone with gmail invites sitting around can pitch in then.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • JJJJ DailyStormer Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I made a google account specifically so I could use gmail and I learn about that invite bullshit and now I don't even remember my login info.

So, I don't even care anymore.

JJ on
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    I remember when Alpha made that awesome script on the forums to automate the handout of Gmail invites.

Suprisingly, they no longer auto-regenerate your invites.

FyreWulff on
  • Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Yeesh. I have 100 invites. Haven't even looked in well over a year.

Cilla Black on
  • AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I have yet to get a gmail invite, would be very grateful :)

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    So know I got a gmail account.

Yep.

Mhmm,

Yup

mmmm

Gorilla Salad on
  • ROFISHROFISH AnehiixiiRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    ... I don't think you need invites or even that cellphone number text message thing anymore.

ROFISH on
    sig3.png
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    ROFISH wrote:
    ... I don't think you need invites or even that cellphone number text message thing anymore.
    Can I sign up without the invitation code? Or without a mobile phone?
    You need to receive and enter a special invitation code in order to create an account. Currently, we are only sending these codes as text messages to mobile phones. So you will need to have a mobile phone with text message capabilities (most phones have this) and the invitation code itself.

One of the reasons we are offering this new way to sign up for Gmail is to help protect our users and combat abuse. Spam and abuse protection are two things we take very seriously, and our users have been very happy with the small amount of spam they've received in their Gmail accounts. We take many measures to ensure that spammers have a difficult time sending their spam messages, getting these messages delivered, or even obtaining a Gmail account (spammers will often use many different accounts to send spam). Sending invitation codes to mobile phones via SMS is one way to address this, as the number of accounts per phone number can be limited.

If you want to open an account a different way, you may want to ask a friend with a mobile phone to receive an invitation code for you or to ask someone you know who already has a Gmail account to email you an invitation.

Gmail is still in beta.

Couscous on
  • YesNoMuYesNoMu Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    There's no way 150+ people will need one, but just in case, PM me as well if you'd like one. It's a very slick service. My favorite email client, browser based or not.

YesNoMu on
    camo_sig2.png
  • NewtonNewton Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I've got a ton of invites, too. PM me if you want one.

Newton on
  • RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I know it's gone in some countries, but last I checked you still had to get an invite or do the cellphone thing in the US. In any case if you want an invite make sure you give your email address to someone offering them.

I can also give out invites.

P.S: Gmail is awesome and it's totally worth switching away from anything else to use it.

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • Recoil42Recoil42 Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    titmouse wrote:
    ROFISH wrote:
    Can I sign up without the invitation code? Or without a mobile phone?
    You need to receive and enter a special invitation code in order to create an account. Currently, we are only sending these codes as text messages to mobile phones. So you will need to have a mobile phone with text message capabilities (most phones have this) and the invitation code itself.

One of the reasons we are offering this new way to sign up for Gmail is to help protect our users and combat abuse. Spam and abuse protection are two things we take very seriously, and our users have been very happy with the small amount of spam they've received in their Gmail accounts. We take many measures to ensure that spammers have a difficult time sending their spam messages, getting these messages delivered, or even obtaining a Gmail account (spammers will often use many different accounts to send spam). Sending invitation codes to mobile phones via SMS is one way to address this, as the number of accounts per phone number can be limited.

If you want to open an account a different way, you may want to ask a friend with a mobile phone to receive an invitation code for you or to ask someone you know who already has a Gmail account to email you an invitation.

Gmail is still in beta.

Actually, in Australia and New Zealand, you no longer need to do any of the above methods, there's a sign up link right on the page.

http://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/index.php?id=1930490443&eid=-108

Recoil42 on
  • Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    Good lord. I just checked, and I have 300 invites available. If you want one, throw a PM my way.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • WoodroezWoodroez Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    99 invites left.

I've got the money, honey, if you've got the time.

Woodroez on
    858213-butcher-2.jpg
  • HamjuHamju Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    If you know anyone with a Gmail account they should have 100 invites (it's been like this for over a year). I once made like, 20 alternate Gmail accounts (for an online game I was playing) and the next day I had 100 invites again.

Hamju on
    kekekesigshortercuzthinsacunt.jpg
  • mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Good lord. I just checked, and I have 300 invites available. If you want one, throw a PM my way.

Yeah, I've got a hundred just sitting. I figured anybody who wanted a Gmail account would just do the whole text message thing to get one (which is how I got mine).

I've found Gmail to be shit-hot just because it seems to be the only "major" free webmail account that offers POP/SMTP access without an extra charge. Hence the reason I didn't know I had invites; I've checked mine exclusively with Thunderbird for like a year.

mcdermott on
  • Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Out of curiosity, why is gmail still in beta? Just what are they waiting for after all this time?

Cilla Black on
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    I easily switched completely to Gmail the day after Hotmail deleted 6 years worth of emails.

Bastards.

Also, searching email is great. I can just pull up my website/program registrations using it.

FyreWulff on
  • LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I've got heaps too, PM if you want one.

LaCabra on
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I'd love one if you don't mind. If nothing else I need something reliable to start fresh with. My hotmail account account has gone to shit lately.

HappylilElf on
  • LavaKnightLavaKnight Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I have a neat Calvin and Hobbes reference as an alternate email address. I was surprised I was the first person to get it.

That's about all I have to add.

Edit: Holy crap, I haven't checked it in months and it turns out I have like 124 messages from Circuit City. What the hell could they have wanted me to buy so badly?

LavaKnight on
  • apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    Why the hell do I only have 9 invites? I've been using gmail for a long time...

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • littwentythreelittwentythree Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    But...all my important stuff is already linked to my hotmail account. Ugh.

littwentythree on
    newsig.png
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I have over a hundred so pm me last of all. Seriously, I am using Gmail for a business I am setting up and it is so fucking useful to look over old correspondance with a built in search engine!

RoyceSraphim on
  • KazhiimKazhiim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2007
    100! 100 invites!

Ah ah ah ah ah!

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • TrenogTrenog Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Sure. Can I have one too?

Trenog on
    steam_sig.png
    Malkor wrote: »
    Rolo wrote: »
    opium is all natural shit son

makes you stronger

It also makes you immune to time.
    Bama wrote: »
    Two weeks ago, I lost the bulk of my female friends

She really hates it when you call her that.
    FCD wrote: »
    Ahhh, Orochimaru. Or, as I like to call him, Japanese Pedophile Voldemort.
    edited January 2007
    Trenog wrote:
    Sure. Can I have one too?

PM one of us your e-mail addy.

Tzen on
  • MordrackMordrack Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I really would like a gmail invite.

Mordrack on
    steam_sig.png
  • JellyMeetsJamJellyMeetsJam Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    woh why is this still only done by invite? it's been around for ages

JellyMeetsJam on
  • RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited January 2007

Seriously, start migrating now. Every day you stay you just dig your hole deeper.

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • littwentythreelittwentythree Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    RandomEngy wrote:

Seriously, start migrating now. Every day you stay you just dig your hole deeper.

Google and Nintendo to buy my soul really soon.

littwentythree on
    newsig.png
  • thatnerdyguythatnerdyguy Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I'm on the "oh crap, I have invites?" bandwagon. 99 of 'em apparently. Assuming there's some kind of a rush, and 1000 forumers want gmail all of a sudden, pm me and it shall be yours.

thatnerdyguy on
  • ReatheranReatheran Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Yeah, I could use one.

Reatheran on
  • SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    Add my name to the 'have invites, will give' list. Even although I have an account, I never use it. Don't see what all the fuss is about personally, but I guess some people have a use for it.

PS. If you want an invite, you NEED TO PM SOMEONE YOUR CURRENT EMAIL ADDRESS. It doesn't work by us calling Google McGoogleston and saying "Hey Mr. Googleston, can you give this dude from the penis arcade forums an email address?"

Szechuanosaurus on
  • LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Yeah, seriously. Stop saying "I need an invite" and not posting your email address.

LaCabra on
  • LukinLukin Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I wish they'd allow me to register a five-letter username.

Lukin on
    cancer.jpg
    edited January 2007
    Reatheran wrote:
    Yeah, I could use one.

hint: See above.

Tzen on