As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

(Dark, Mighty, New) Avengers Assemble! Long Live the Dark Reign

• BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    can anyone rehost, deviant art is blocked at work

(photobucket is too, but go go imageshack)

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Here you go Bale.

whobypapaulafalcaojw8.th.jpgthpix.gif

Munch on
    edited October 2008
    thanks Munch

it's totally
    Norman

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I'll stop sidetracking the thread with my griping -- I know artists and writers move around and little art hiccups happen. That's the industry and publishing under deadlines. It just feels very much like, if not a "bait and switch," then a restaurant suddenly switching to cheaper ingredients on my previously favorite regular dish. It doesn't really matter, marvel will keep taking my crisp, freshly-minted dollar bills and I will keep saying "Hi Mike," to the guy at the comics store.

I'm just lashing out because precious issue 8 has receded further into the future and my anguish needs an outlet. Oh, Marvel. Why must you tease me so? Look at my empty, naive hands wandering around blithely, unaware of any danger. It's as if a nefarious, dastardly Secret Invasion Issue 8 could simply spring out at any moment and take advantage of them, ravishing my equally-hapless eyeballs over and over with no one around to come save me. Yes, Secret Invasion 8 could have its way with me and run off with my money and no one would ever be able to prosecute the crimes.

Is this working? Is the issue getting any closer?

desc on
  • smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Balefuego wrote: »
    David Aja on Iron Fist is the only one thats been like that.

Captain America has 2 artists since I think Epting couldn't keep up after something happened (I'm probably wrong remembering that). Although it's not as noticeable since the inker has remained the same and done a kickass job.

smokmnky on
    edited October 2008
    What you said just seemed really odd since really Marvel actually acts in the way oppisite to what you had been saying, while DC is the one who has had very big problems with fill-in art on important events, most notably Infinite Crisis and now Final Crisis.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited October 2008
    smokmnky wrote: »

Captain America has 2 artists since I think Epting couldn't keep up after something happened (I'm probably wrong remembering that). Although it's not as noticeable since the inker has remained the same and done a kickass job.

Be fair - We're on issue forty something now, and this is only the third regular artist the title has had. That's a pretty good turnover rate. And Epting drew a shitload of issues before he left.

Bogart on
    edited October 2008

Yeah but they rotate, a lot of books do that. Epting was the main artist, but Butch Guice was pretty much artist 1b, because if it wasn't Epting, it was always him. I mean they even went as far to announce it when Butch Guice was moving off Captain America to do other stuff, and he's not even the main artist!

Daredevil last month also had a "fill-in" artist, to give Lark a month off, but again in that case it wasn't a last minute thing, the book was solicited with Clay Mann as the artist from the start (and hell, I actually think I like Mann's stuff better)

And again look at X-Force, Clayton Crain can't keep up a monthly schedule, but he is drawing every other arc. And I don't think anyone is complaining about Mike Choi's "fill-in" work right now.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2008
    No I meant that they are actually drawing in the same issues. Look I get it I was just pointing out that there was the change going on.

smokmnky on
    edited October 2008
    There's an issue of Cap where both Epting and Guice are credited as artists?

which one?

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited October 2008
    No I meant that they are actually drawing in the same issues. Look I get it I was just pointing out that there was the change going on.

You're right. #35 has them both credited.

Bogart on
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    it's been presented both ways

Not exactly: originally, her powers were described as 'hexes' that were created by her mutant power, i.e. her mutant power was to innately be able to cast spells that alter the probability of something occurring. The only change is that for some time they claimed that her power accessed "dark magic" or whatever, until Dr. Strange said there was no such thing.

Her power is basically the intuitive ability to use certain magics, whereas others have to learn how to do so.

"Chaos magic."

Which is funny because there is such a thing as "Chaos magic" IRL. Assuming you believe in such things.

Um, what?

(btw, I edited my original post to refer to chaos magic, just to clarify for casual readers)

Oh, nothing.

I was just thinking of people I used to know who practice magic(k) IRL when I read that post.

Crimsondude on
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    it's been presented both ways

Not exactly: originally, her powers were described as 'hexes' that were created by her mutant power, i.e. her mutant power was to innately be able to cast spells that alter the probability of something occurring. The only change is that for some time they claimed that her power accessed "dark magic" or whatever, until Dr. Strange said there was no such thing.

Her power is basically the intuitive ability to use certain magics, whereas others have to learn how to do so.

"Chaos magic."

Which is funny because there is such a thing as "Chaos magic" IRL. Assuming you believe in such things.

Um, what?

(btw, I edited my original post to refer to chaos magic, just to clarify for casual readers)

Oh, nothing.

I was just thinking of people I used to know who practice magic(k) IRL when I read that post.

This whole dialogue is hilarious.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    You fool, you needed to have a second line, that was longer! Damn, you broke the chain!

mattharvest on
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Huh, New Avengers #47 is still solicited before Secret Invasion #8. Like Mighty, I thought it was an aftermath issue.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Munch wrote: »
    Here you go Bale.

whobypapaulafalcaojw8.th.jpgthpix.gif

Noir Iron Man?

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
    edited October 2008
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    Huh, New Avengers #47 is still solicited before Secret Invasion #8. Like Mighty, I thought it was an aftermath issue.

It would be funny if this were a shipping error, and the first panel of #47 is the Avengers looking at each other going, "Boy, I can't believe that whole Invasion ended when
    Howard the Duck shot Veranke in the back in the last panel of SI #8!"

Actually, I guess that being spoilered beforehand wouldn't be funny at all. It would take away from the surprise.

desc on
    edited October 2008
    Nope. NA 47 is the eighth tie-in issue--#40-47. As I wrote in the OP.

Also, I hope that isn't a What If? I hope Tony decided to go unregistered after Norman becomes head of SHIELD/Secretary of the Superhuman Armed Forces (Initiative)/Chair or sole member of the Commission on Superhuman Affairs.

They need to merge all this shit together plus O*N*E.

Crimsondude on
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    That would be hilarious if Osborn forces Tony Stark to go unregistered.

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
    edited October 2008
    Funny?

Or AWESOME.

Crimsondude on
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I want a scene where Tony says something like, "Nobody could have possibly predicted something like this happening!" and then the next panel is a spread of all the New Avengers just staring at him.

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
    edited October 2008
    But he has known that it could happen. He just thought he was so fucking smart that he could keep it from coming to pass.

Crimsondude on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Gods, if the whole world suddenly forgets that Osborne is the Green Goblin, I will be pissed.

Seriously, being in one battle when literal survival of the species is on the line does not a Captain America make.

Fencingsax on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Gods, if the whole world suddenly forgets that Osborne is the Green Goblin, I will be pissed.

Seriously, being in one battle when literal survival of the species is on the line does not a Captain America make.

He saved Wasington DC, and when all is said and done he'll probably be credited with saving the world.

I don't think he's Iron Patriot, though. I don't see why he'd have to invent a new persona for himself.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited October 2008
    The world never forgot. The world just doesn't care.

BTW, I just realized Ms. Marvel isn't in the big battle. And that blows.

Crimsondude on
  • FCDFCD Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

He'll blame it on Skrulls. All of it. Even Gwen Stacy, if someone brings it up.

FCD on
    Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
    edited October 2008

He saved Wasington DC, and when all is said and done he'll probably be credited with saving the world.

I don't think he's Iron Patriot, though. I don't see why he'd have to invent a new persona for himself.

I think he will be, but he won't become IP because he needs to hide his identity. Rather, he'll sell himself as the new, better replacement for Tony, that coward who ran away from battle(at least, as far as the President and the average citizen of the Marvel USA know, of course)

FCD on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    FCD wrote: »

I think he will be, but he won't become IP because he needs to hide his identity. Rather, he'll sell himself as the new, better replacement for Tony, that coward who ran away from battle(at least, as far as the President and the average citizen of the Marvel USA know, of course)

A knock-off persona still seems below him, though. I'm still guessing it's someone else.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited October 2008
    Well, Normie does have a twisted sense of humor, so part of it may also be a dig at Tony. And if the IP suit ends up having a similar color scheme as Cap's, then it might also serve as a cruel insulting of Steve's legacy.

FCD on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    FCD wrote: »
    Well, Normie does have a twisted sense of humor, so part of it may also be a dig at Tony. And if the IP suit ends up having a similar color scheme as Cap's, then it might also serve as a cruel insulting of Steve's legacy.
    But then Bucky would beat his ass.

Fencingsax on
    edited October 2008
    Well, if the rumblings we hear about post-SI, Dark Reign Marvel are correct, maybe Bucky won't be in the optimal position to actually do so. Though he'll most certainly want to, of course.

FCD on
  • NabobNabob Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

It's public knowledge that he was the Green Goblin, and that the rest of the T-Bolts were also super villains. But the public loves them anyway, really Songbird and Radioactive Man are the only ones trying to do any good in the Thunderbolts, but the public just sees a bunch of supposedly reformed villains taking out "dangerous" renegade super powers and love them for defending the American way. One of the most interesting things about Norman getting to be a major player is the fact that the general public doesn't realize he is completely unfit for it.

Nabob on
    3DS Friend Code: 3325-2367-6821
    edited October 2008
    It was mentioned before, but Cap #43 jumps a month or so past the Red Skull arc and past SI (Luke Ross did a nice copy of part of the last splash page of SI #6), and Cap is still in the same basic position he's been in since Cap #34--except that Tony was not mentioned at all. He's also unregistered, but isn't on their side. It just mentions that Sam has warmed many of the unregistered heroes to James' role as the new Cap.

Crimsondude on
  • The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Ringo wrote: »
    I want a scene where Tony says something like, "Nobody could have possibly predicted something like this happening!" and then the next panel is a spread of all the New Avengers just staring at him.
    "Talk about a power hungry dick."
    It's public knowledge that he was the Green Goblin, and that the rest of the T-Bolts were also super villains. But the public loves them anyway, really Songbird and Radioactive Man are the only ones trying to do any good in the Thunderbolts, but the public just sees a bunch of supposedly reformed villains taking out "dangerous" renegade super powers and love them for defending the American way. One of the most interesting things about Norman getting to be a major player is the fact that the general public doesn't realize he is completely unfit for it.
    It's basically a Super Blackwater. I.e Anyone who does research knows they are a bunch of shitheels, but no one has enough solid evidence to get anything more than a timeslot on a pundits show to be mocked.

The Muffin Man on
    edited October 2008
    Nabob wrote: »
    One of the most interesting things about Norman getting to be a major player is the fact that the general public doesn't realize he is completely unfit for it.

Is there anything that America is better at than this? USA #1!

desc on
    edited October 2008
    BTW, I just realized Ms. Marvel isn't in the big battle. And that blows.

Have you been reading her solo book? She's fighting that crazy Skrull that was on Rkyers Island after she dropped the bus off.

smokmnky on
    edited October 2008
    Yeah. And a bunch of other heroes fought Skrulls, too, but they still managed to show up in Central Park.

Crimsondude on
  • spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    This just means she gets to show up in #8 and be a big hero.

spookymuffin on
    PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
    edited October 2008
    I hope so. I love the character to death, even when I did think Reed was writing her poorly.

Crimsondude on
  • Kusanagi02Kusanagi02 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    So yeah today's Initiative issue was pretty good. Finally brought to light the skrulls other plans besides using Janet as a bomb.
    Apparently
    All the negative zone portals the Initiative were using to transport across the country was being used by the skrulls as a last resort to basically suck a good chunk of the planet in the negative zone just in case there plan went to shit. The whole skrull kill krew basically split up to take out the remaining skrulls in the states and also blow up all the negative zone portals.
    And Thor Girl is skrull

Kusanagi02 on
This discussion has been closed.