As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

When and Where is PAX 2009

LaserKing9LaserKing9 Registered User regular
edited November 2008 in PAX Archive
On Bungie.net a bunch of people and I were wondering if anyone knew. And when preregistration was thx.

LaserKing9 on

• KazhiimKazhiim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2008
    It's a little early

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited September 2008
    Washington State Trade and Convention Center
    Seattle, WA
    Last weekend of august
    Preregistration opens in Februray or March

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• BrennaCeDriaBrennaCeDria Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Kazhiim wrote: »
    It's a little early

It's never too early. :p Savannah was a hot, depressing place before. Imagine it after knowing the wonders of an August afternoon in the mid-70s.

BrennaCeDria on
  • mentok1982mentok1982 I could never leave you PAX baby. BaltimoreRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    LaserKing9 wrote: »
    On Bungie.net a bunch of people and I were wondering if anyone knew. And when preregistration was thx.

So do you guys like playing the Halo games?

That's cool.

You're cool guys.

mentok1982 on
    Penny Arcade TV makes my life complete!
    PS3: Mentok || Steam: mentok1982 || Diablo 3: mentok1982#1212
    Links: GPUReview.com My IGN activity My IGN Blog [H]ard|Forum
  • WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    The best thing to do is start checking www.penny-arcade.com and www.pennyarcadeexpo.com around March or so. But yeah, it's in August and is usually at the WSCTC, although at the rate it's going there may be some other buildings involved also.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • sobjwsobjw Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    Seattle, WA
    Last weekend of august

It's nice that it won't fall on Labor Day weekend this year.(or for the next 6 years)

sobjw on
    I live on a farm.
  • dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    sobjw wrote: »
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    Seattle, WA
    Last weekend of august

It's nice that it won't fall on Labor Day weekend this year.(or for the next 6 years)

why, because you want to go to that super overpriced, half assed music festival, bumbershit? labor day was actually really convenient this year because it only required me to take off the thursday and friday before pax, saving a vacation day.

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
    edited September 2008
    No, cause Labor Day = More crowded and higher hotel rates.

sobjw on
    I live on a farm.
  • LigerLiger Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    um, attendees had lower hotel rates, and I'm pretty sure the convention was more crowded because it became more popular.

I won't argue with airfare though. That always goes up on Labor Day.

Liger on
    5932306549_6b4d957b56.jpg CUSTOM LANYARDS FOR PAX
    edited September 2008
    Liger wrote: »
    um, attendees had lower hotel rates, and I'm pretty sure the convention was more crowded because it became more popular.

I meant the city in general was more crowded and bascially ran out of hotel rooms. I personally got the PAX rate on my room but I imagine there were plenty of people who didn't book in time and had to pay a lot. Hopefully next year Robert can secure an even larger block of rooms.

sobjw on
    I live on a farm.
    edited October 2008
    It was worse than that, actually. People didn't book in time and had to stay in Bellevue. XD

Liger on
  • dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    It was worse than that, actually. People didn't book in time and got to stay in Bellevue. XD

limed for truthiness

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
  • GSpeezyGSpeezy Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    dyaballikl wrote: »
    It was worse than that, actually. People didn't book in time and got to commute to and from Bellevue. XD

limed for truthiness

Fix'd.

GSpeezy on
    All rights reversed; prosecutors will be violated.
  • koduzakoduza Registered User new member
    edited October 2008
    Previous PAX's did not fall on Laborday Weekend. Can we please avoid having a battle royal for our attention on the busiest weekend of the year?

Seriously? Between Bum-Shoot, Burningman, vacations, family reunions, and all the crap people do on the last long weekend of Summer, I would hate to wave good bye to PAX attendance because it wants to compete for the hearts of an already Labor Day conflicted populous.

August is an Awesome month - please keep it nicely sandwiched between Defcon and Laborday. :)

koduza on
  • EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Not only did you post the same thing in a unneeded new thread, you didn't even read this one.

Kudos, sir.

EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2008
    sobjw wrote: »

I meant the city in general was more crowded and bascially ran out of hotel rooms. I personally got the PAX rate on my room but I imagine there were plenty of people who didn't book in time and had to pay a lot. Hopefully next year Robert can secure an even larger block of rooms.

I got a room about 15 minutes outside of Seattle for about $88 a night, drove to the convention center and paid for parking which was about $13-16 a day, all in all, saving myself nearly $150 from what last year cost.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • TransparentTransparent Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Anyone know how operational the light rail will be by next year's PAX? Looks like it will be running from Westlake Center south to Seatac, but not north to the U district. I'm thinking that will make hotels all along that route decent options for next year.

Transparent on
    PAXtrain '10, let's do this!
  • Qs23Qs23 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Anyone know how operational the light rail will be by next year's PAX? Looks like it will be running from Westlake Center south to Seatac, but not north to the U district. I'm thinking that will make hotels all along that route decent options for next year.

Even if it is up... will it be running at 2 or 3 am when I finally leave PAX for the night?

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
    edited October 2008
    Qs23 wrote: »

Even if it is up... will it be running at 2 or 3 am when I finally leave PAX for the night?

sure, until it crashes! lol. i think there's a good chance it'll run late, considering trains in most major cities run 24/7 and seattle's busses, though limited, are operational 24/7

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
  • MeeOkMeeOk Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I really hope it is over Labor Day weekend, actually.. because my 21st B-Day is 08/30/09, baby! And.. flights and hotels make no difference to me, because I live a ten minute walk away. And I'm not ever again letting any online people stay with me. Evar. *grumbles about her previous two bad experiences with letting online friends stay with her*

MeeOk on
  • WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I stayed with online people who I'd never even really spoke to this year and had a fucking blast, so YMMV on that one.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
    edited October 2008
    I"ll second the YMMV sentiment, I really liked the random people I met at PAX this year.

Transparent on
  • iamconfidenceiamconfidence Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I"ll second the YMMV sentiment, I really liked the random people I met at PAX this year.

I've heard an odd mix of good and bad with the pick up space.

Had a friend there that muscled into my room when the guy who was letting people crash at his place started getting a bit touchy feely...

But I loved room crashing with people at 06 PAX! we had a blast and a big unconventional LAN room to room as well. :D

iamconfidence on
    --
    ETA.Confidence
    EscapeTheAsylum.com
  • BrokenAngelBrokenAngel Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I've had nothing but awesome come of staying with forumers at PAX. Granted this was hotel sharing and I know most of them reasonably well from IRC, but I have yet to meet anyone really sketchy so far.

BrokenAngel on
    k9mk2carn.pngeleventhdoc2carn.png *Proud Head Girl of Slytherin & Team Red*
    edited October 2008
    iamconfidence: That's just sad. I hope it goes without saying most gay men aren't like that. But honestly I'd feel better about sharing a hotel room with PAXers than staying in someone's place for the event.

BA: Forum regulars are generally awesome people, aren't they? :-)

Transparent on
  • Cloud7Str1feCloud7Str1fe Registered User new member
    edited October 2008
    Me and my Friend are hoping to come to pax either '09 or '10. Just a bit more expensive when living in Scotland :(.

Cloud7Str1fe on
  • LaserKing9LaserKing9 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Well plans have changed for me, originally I was going to fly there by myself . But now my friend wants to go and he will only drive there. 28 hours 16 minutes is one heck of a drive. Also, my friend and I aren't over 18 so will it be possible to get a room in a hotel or will we have to sleep in the truck?

LaserKing9 on
    edited October 2008
    1) Join the Cross Country SuperTrip.

2) Look for the "Hotel Rooms: Need one/Share One" thread that usually pops up after registration opens.

3) Have fun. :D

Liger on
  • whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Well plans have changed for me, originally I was going to fly there by myself . But now my friend wants to go and he will only drive there. 28 hours 16 minutes is one heck of a drive. Also, my friend and I aren't over 18 so will it be possible to get a room in a hotel or will we have to sleep in the truck?

He does realize after about 30 hours on the road that the two of you will likely want to kill each other, right? And that's only after the first half of the trip (unless you guys are moving to the Seattle area, which is cool).

CCST will help out, because you'll have dozens of people to share the insanity with.

whypick1 on
    Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
    edited October 2008
    whypick1 wrote: »

He does realize after about 30 hours on the road that the two of you will likely want to kill each other, right? And that's only after the first half of the trip (unless you guys are moving to the Seattle area, which is cool).

CCST will help out, because you'll have dozens of people to share the insanity with.

the ride out is tough, for sure, but the real hell is the ride home. any long ride home after a great event always blows.

and you won't be able to rent a hotel room, they're all 18+, but if you find someone over 18, you'll be allowed in.

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    edited October 2008

the ride out is tough, for sure, but the real hell is the ride home. any long ride home after a great event always blows.

and you won't be able to rent a hotel room, they're all 18+, but if you find someone over 18, you'll be allowed in.

Yeah, I'll probably end up having to stay in a room with someone I know off of Live. And about the long ride, I was planning on lots of Coca-Cola and 6 hour energy. I'll probably be crazy energized when I get there, but hey the trip is worth it. It'll also have to be a straight trip both ways. We'd have to leave Thursday Morning or Thursday night and drive straight on through to get there by Friday and my friend has school on Monday so we'd have to drive all the way home on Sunday. But we might get lucky and he wouldn't have to go.

LaserKing9 on
    edited October 2008

Yeah, I'll probably end up having to stay in a room with someone I know off of Live. And about the long ride, I was planning on lots of Coca-Cola and 6 hour energy. I'll probably be crazy energized when I get there, but hey the trip is worth it. It'll also have to be a straight trip both ways. We'd have to leave Thursday Morning or Thursday night and drive straight on through to get there by Friday and my friend has school on Monday so we'd have to drive all the way home on Sunday. But we might get lucky and he wouldn't have to go.

lol, getting back to class on monday is a crazy dream. you will be so tired on sunday night, i can't imagine anyone driving that far, then getting to class some 14 hours after pax ends.

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    edited October 2008
    Yeah I know its a stupid idea, but that's what we're aiming for. I homeschool so it'll be easy peasy. As for my friend, he'll be begging his parents to let him stay home.

LaserKing9 on
  • Qs23Qs23 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Um... I'm sorry to sort of burst your bubble... but If Clinton, Missouri is where you are coming from... 28 hours is a pipe dream. I bet I could get Moe and some of the other CCST vets to back me up on this. What we do is crazy enough, and we would need almost 40 hours to do that trip. 35 hours if we're pushing. let me check my numbers, and I'll get back to this thread, but I'm going to have to give a thumbs down on your current plan.

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
  • JonnyNeroJonnyNero Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I agree...coming from Houston...it took us 13 to 15 hours just to get from Kansas to Fargo. Even if you were to drive straight through from there you wouldn't make it. Not to mention that you'd be too exhausted to do anything

JonnyNero on
    edited October 2008
    Yeah, your plan isn't going to work. First of all, leaving on Sunday night is a bad idea. You're both going to be tired as shit, and you won't make it to Montana, let alone through before you're both too tired to go on. Your friend has to make a choice, either miss some of the first week of school, or fly. I'll let Qs23 bring out the numbers, but trust me, he knows these numbers better than anybody.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited October 2008
    Yeah, my friend and I were just talking about that. We probably would stay the night Sunday and work our way back and hopefully get back Tuesday.

LaserKing9 on
  • SkinnaySkinnay Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    well they could always take dave's way of getting home and just do 120 the whole way ^_^

Skinnay on
    I'm Awesome!!!
    edited October 2008
    and get a speeding ticket in every state

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited October 2008
    Hey! Speeding just might work. Brilliant!

LaserKing9 on
This discussion has been closed.