As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Great Deal of Skill, Great Lack of Pride

ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morningLoserdomRegistered User regular
edited October 2008 in Games and Technology
And I ran to the bedroom where my wife was sleeping, and I said, "HONEY I SAVED THE WORLD."

"...were you playing for eleven and a half hours?"

"...but I saved the world..."
Ben wrote:
Of course, the problem with playing it alone is that when you finally do get your mates around, suddenly you've turned into THAT GUY. Don't pretend you don't know what I mean. THAT GUY who's so much better than everyone else at the game, because he plays it on his own, the loser. Suddenly you're not in it for fun anymore, and the ghoulish grins of your uncoordinated friends fill you with contempt. Soon you seek out other THAT GUYs for the sake of a decent challenge. And then you're lost. You're a fanboy. Congratulations, line up for your free t-shirt and cat ears.

Sometimes you do something awesome in a game, and yet for some reason...it embarrasses you. Maybe because only the most obsessed, friendless dork could have done it, or it's some sort of sexual thing in an otherwise-nonsexual game. In this thread, discuss achievements that you are for some reason reluctant to admit. In my case, despite having played the game off and on since 1991, I had not beaten Bowser or made it to the Special world in Super Mario World by myself until...yesterday.

But the point I remains I did it! ...yesterday.

Yeah.

Your tales of awesome woe? Perhaps creating a wang-shaped and fully-operational city in SimCity? Winning Spore with a race that look like a bunch of wangs? Re-writing all the dialogue in Alpha Centauri to be intelligibly about a world where the economy is based on wangs and the sucking thereof? Perhaps grabbing coins in Super Mario from a large batch so that the small remainder look--and this is just as an example--wanglike in outline? (Then pausing the game to tape words to the screen saying, if i.e. you are playing two-player and the other guy is Luigi, "Luigi's wang" with an arrow pointing to the pitifully small number of coins?)

Astound and amaze and appall us.

Shadowen on

• PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    NSFW, but safe to inline:
    blockwang.jpg
    blockspa.jpg
    blocks.jpg
    ff.jpg

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • VrayVray Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I once camped a rare spawn in Everquest for over eight hours to get a pair of gloves for my monk. Not exactly awesome or skill dependant but still pretty embarrassing.

Vray on
  • RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I got 5th place in the Monday leaderboard tournament on GameTap this week. The game? Kaboom. Yeah, not exactly the most impressive feat I've ever accomplished.

RainbowDespair on
  • JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    A few PS3 trophies have been pretty nerve-wracking, enough to where I felt like I had actually accomplished a mighty feat upon completion. Notably the Late Boomer trophy in Super Stardust HD and No Pollen Wasted in Pixeljunk Eden. Also the pollen fell in the shape of a penis.

JAEF on
  • PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I got 5th place in the Monday leaderboard tournament on GameTap this week. The game? Kaboom. Yeah, not exactly the most impressive feat I've ever accomplished.

I can't believe there were four other people playing Kaboom.

PolloDiablo on
  • PataPata Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I'm not allowed to use Lucas in Brawl against my brothers. :(

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Final Fantasy X

I did an NSGNSNONENNENBB run.

That's a lot of letters, let me show you them:

NSG = No Sphere Grid
    NS = No Summons
    NO = No Overdrives
    NE = No Escapes
    NNE = No "No Encounters"
    NBB = No Blitzball

Took forever. You can make it even harder by doing NC (no customization of weapons), but that's just insanity. :P

UnbreakableVow on
  • BTPBTP Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    (*Looks at Pokemon Yellow, Pokemon Gold, Pokemon Stadium, Pokemon Stadium 2, knowing I've spent probably 1000 hours combined on all of them, getting so many Level 100's and other teams for every kind of tournament cup provided in those games, while worried the batteries have died in Yellow and Gold, and I didn't really register any of the teams in either Stadium because I was thinking "What's the point?" because of all the item trading/duplicating I was doing as well*)

:(

BTP on
    Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection & DS High Scores Thread
    I WILL NOT BE DOING 3DS FOR NWC THREAD. SOMEONE ELSE WILL HAVE TO TAKE OVER.
    Spoiler contains Friend Codes. Won't you be my friend?
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!
    Mario Kart Wii: 3136-6982-0286 Tetris Party: 2364 1569 4310
    Guitar Hero: Metallica: 1032 7229 7191
    TATSUNOKO VS CAPCOM: 1935-2070-9123

Nintendo DS:
    Worms: Open Warfare 2: 1418-7870-1606 Space Bust-a-Move: 017398 403043
    Scribblenauts: 1290-7509-5558
  • TheGueroTheGuero Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    This post is made of win simply because of the awesome quotes, that related perfectly to your topic, in the beginning. Although, I feel somewhat inadequate now. I honestly can't think of a simple gaming achievement that I could be proud of.

It's time to go play some more games.

TheGuero on
  • LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I completely a solo run of Phantasy Star II last year. I abused the save feature as I was playing the PS2 version from the Sega Genesis Collection, but I still managed to do it.

LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png