As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Here's a little story I got to tell

FutoreFutore Registered User regular
edited October 2008 in Social Entropy++
Public Radio!

Now that I've filtered out all of the wretched philistines, let us get down to business.

I've come to love public radio in its many forms. It can play fancy pants classical music, which I used to love listening to while I drove late at night, or have wonderful and informative news reports of the day's events. But that's not what we're here for today.

We're here to dork about the art of storytelling through via public radio.

And now i'm guessing only Fandy, Orikaeshigaturgid, Kovak, and a few other nerds are still reading. Oh, and Druhim because he is old and [joke that correlates old people with radio].

Let us talk about how terrifically public radio does story telling. And we all must admit that radio has gone from its original roots now on to the internet via internet radios and even better: podcasts! Is that an incorrect use of colon? I don't know right now because i'm now rushing the OP!

There is the positively magnificent radio show out of WBEZ Chicago
l20778076336_2445.jpg

hosted by this dude who i totally have the biggest man-crush on.
this_american_life.jpg

This American Life also has a weekly podcast of the show so that you can bring it around on your iPod or whatever like I do. The show really is the nicest thing. The level of storytelling through the show is, for me, breathtaking. I will admit that I haven't cried for something sad that has happened in my life for years and years. I just don't, but this show makes me shed tears rather often through joy or sadness along with a great deal of hope. And the stories are all about real life!

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/

We've also got classic stuff like
warworldsgif.gif

which Fandy recently found the original recording of for me. here

Before you listen to that, you should go to that Wikipedia thing and read a brief history about it. The whole thing is executed magnificently by Orson Welles.

In the last few days, I've picked up a bit of obsession with looking for readings of classic horror literature. I found some readings of Poe on iTunes by the University of South Florida under something they do called Lit2Go. It's pretty rad, but the real gems of horror readings are found through public radio because they do spooky voice performances and have great ambiance noise/music in the background.
  • So I need some help finding good websites for those spooky readings of classic horror stories.
  • Also discuss great podcasts that are beautiful storytelling!
  • Also also discuss how great public radio is for storytelling!

I'm going to clean up this OP a little later and organize it better as well as update it with new finds so that there is an easy place to find cool stories and gay shit like that! I'll also change the thread title to something other than a Beastie Boys lyric once I think of something better! Super promise! Exclamation point!

update: Lit2Go, where i got the Poe stuff has a huge website where you can listen to a whole bunch of classics

ETqXK.png
Futore on

• FutoreFutore Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I am guessing this isn't going to go over as much of a hit, but I'm posting again so that I have extra space to put rad updates

Futore on
    ETqXK.png
  • FaricazyFaricazy Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    car talk

Faricazy on
  • lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Man, the recent podcast of this american life, how to win friends and influence people, was pretty awesome. had interesting stories by paul feig and david sedaris, then this one kinda cool, kinda sad story about a guy who dresses up in a homemade superman costume every chance he gets after his wife died.

lostwords on
    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • redfenixredfenix Aka'd as rfix Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I love me some NPR

It's starting to become the de facto go-to in the car, even though i read quite a bit of news on the internets

let's discuss how dianne reem (sp?) sounds like she's the goddamn she-crypt keeper, and is probably going to keel over any minute.

redfenix on
  • Red ZoneRed Zone Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I HAVE READ NOTHING

Red Zone on
    1vqtC.jpg
  • sdrawkcaB emaNsdrawkcaB emaN regular
    edited October 2008
    this american life is the greatest thing

sdrawkcaB emaN on
  • ReginaldReginald When I am Pres., I will create the Department of ______Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Faricazy wrote: »
    car talk

hell yes. click and clack, the tappert brothers.

Reginald on
    edited October 2008
    oh and downloading the war of the worlds

Faricazy on
    edited October 2008
    Reginald wrote: »
    car talk

hell yes. click and clack, the tappert brothers.
    my favorite is their theory that two people who don't know what they're talking about actually know LESS than ONE person that doesn't know what he's talking about

hahaha

Faricazy on
    edited October 2008
    lostwords wrote: »
    Man, the recent podcast of this american life, how to win friends and influence people, was pretty awesome. had interesting stories by paul feig and david sedaris, then this one kinda cool, kinda sad story about a guy who dresses up in a homemade superman costume every chance he gets after his wife died.

That episode was so great. All the stuff in it was so funny and hit close to home. I knew a bunch of the totally awesome but totally socially anxious people around here like myself would love it

Futore on
    ETqXK.png
  • KovakKovak did a lot of drugs married cher?Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    i like that you accurately predicted that i would still be reading

Kovak on
    edited October 2008
    oh and downloading the war of the worlds

everyone should do this. I can't get over how well Orson Welles produced and set up the whole thing. Seriously, Fari, devote time to listening to this

Futore on
    ETqXK.png
    edited October 2008
    futore do you own volume 2 of the league of extraordinary gentlemen

Faricazy on
  • RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited October 2008
    I love this american life

you know what else is great?

The Moth

short true stories told live, on stage, without notes

so good

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2008
    do you guys like orson welles? I sure do!

i present to you the Mercury Theater On The Air - Welles' theater troupe's radio show wherein they adapt classic novels for the radio. This is where the whole War of the Worlds Thing came from!

http://www.archive.org/details/mercurytheaterOTRKIBM
    Dracula 6.4 MB
    Treasure Island 7.7 MB
    A Tale of Two Cities 6.8 MB
    The 39 Steps 7.5 MB
    I'm a Fool/The Open Window/My 7.1 MB
    Abraham Lincoln 7.2 MB
    The Affairs of Anatol 7.2 MB
    The Count of Monte Cristo 7.1 MB
    The Man who Was Thursday 6.9 MB
    Julius Caesar (Rehearsal) 8.0 MB
    The Immortal Sherlock Holmes 6.8 MB
    Hell on Ice 7.2 MB
    Seventeen 7.2 MB
    Around the World in 80 Days 6.8 MB
    War of the Worlds 6.2 MB
    Heart of Darkness / Life with 7.0 MB
    A Passenger to Bali 7.2 MB
    The Pickwick Papers

The Man Who Was Thursday is fantastic, it's my favourite book and Welles does a great job reading it. Heart of Darkness is also wonderful.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?

Shadow_Death_From_Nowhere.jpg

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

edited October 2008
    futore! please note the inclusion of Dracula and The Count of Monte Cristo in that list!

Orikaeshigitae on
    edited October 2008
    I love this american life

you know what else is great?

The Moth

short true stories told live, on stage, without notes

so good

I was sifting through things on iTunes the other day and was curious about it. I'll check that out. thanks

Futore on
    ETqXK.png
    edited October 2008
    also futore you've got the wrong version of the war of the worlds in that OP, jeff wayne did a MUSICAL ADAPTATION which is tons different than welles' radio drama

Orikaeshigitae on
  • mullymully Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    oh yeah?

well,

here's a little ditty

about jack and diane

two american kids growin' up

in the heartland

mully on
    edited October 2008
    oh shit orik

a-game :^:

Faricazy on
    edited October 2008

I don't own any volumes! I want to read that so bad, but the only way i can find it is the collector's edition Black Dossier thing that is $99. I'm just going to order it off of amazon along with the Five Fists of Science, i guess
    Kovak wrote: »
    i like that you accurately predicted that i would still be reading

wuv you

Futore on
    ETqXK.png
    edited October 2008
    oh shit orik

a-game :^:

i'm all BLADOW fuckin' orson welles, nobody can step to that shit

Orikaeshigitae on
  • OmegaTofuNinjaOmegaTofuNinja Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Holy shit that Lit2Go is fucking awesome. Downloading a bunch of stuff right now this is awesome.

We sat around the table last night listening to the War of the Worlds reading. It was really very awesome, it's a shame that stuff like this isn't that popular anymore.

OmegaTofuNinja on
    Facebook Wii: 7912 0299 8667 6601 I tweet sometimes Poetry?!
  • redfenixredfenix Aka'd as rfix Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Now this is the story all about how
    My life got flipped, turned upside down

redfenix on
    edited October 2008
    oh, by the way, you know that classic movie The Third Man? Orson Welles plays the part of Harry Lime, a con man who.. well, I won't spoil the movie for you.

But he reprised his role on a radio show for two years.

Here's the link.

http://www.archive.org/details/TheLivesOfHarryLime

Orikaeshigitae on
    edited October 2008
    also futore you've got the wrong version of the war of the worlds in that OP, jeff wayne did a MUSICAL ADAPTATION which is tons different than welles' radio drama

whoops! fixed with a much cooler picture

Futore on
    ETqXK.png
    edited October 2008
    Futore wrote: »

I don't own any volumes! I want to read that so bad, but the only way i can find it is the collector's edition Black Dossier thing that is $99. I'm just going to order it off of amazon along with the Five Fists of Science, i guess
    say what?

Vol. 1, $10.19

Vol.2, $10.19

Black Dossier, $19.79 hardcover, $13.59 softcover.

Faricazy on
  • lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    other than this american life, which i need to listen to, i also love a few other podcasts: mainly ricky gervais, the sport guy bill simmons, whenever they release the PA podcast, and russell brand (don't judge me)

i would buy more audiobook on itunes, but dang some of them cost like twice as much as the paperback version of the book, what up wit dat?

lostwords on
    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
    edited October 2008
    Holy shit that Lit2Go is fucking awesome. Downloading a bunch of stuff right now this is awesome.

We sat around the table last night listening to the War of the Worlds reading. It was really very awesome, it's a shame that stuff like this isn't that popular anymore.

I have a listening planned for tomorrow night with a few friends around a fire pit at my buddy's house. Going to be so fun

Futore on
    ETqXK.png
    edited October 2008
    obligatory pinky and the brain:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rl_TFyk2GJo

Faricazy on
    edited October 2008
    obligatory original orson welles recording

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V14PfDDwxlE

Orikaeshigitae on
    edited October 2008
    lostwords wrote: »
    other than this american life, which i need to listen to, i also love a few other podcasts: mainly ricky gervais, the sport guy bill simmons, whenever they release the PA podcast, and russell brand (don't judge me)

i would buy more audiobook on itunes, but dang some of them cost like twice as much as the paperback version of the book, what up wit dat?

i would love to be able to download audiobooks through iTunes because it is such an easy way to do just that. but there are so many awesome classic books that are in the public domain and should stay free.

it's just hard to find a good collection of them. i plan to do just that right here. 8-)

Futore on
    ETqXK.png
  • snapsnap Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    sweet, i've been waiting for this thread.

snap on
  • DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2008
    Ira Glass is indeed awesome

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
    edited October 2008
    Lit2Go's reading of "The Masque of the Red Death" got to be horrifying. The narrator does it well.

I went into my bathroom and stood in the middle with the lights off and my eyes closed, imagining things. It is such a fun way to get yourself scared. I recommend doing this. go do this. now.

Futore on
    ETqXK.png
    edited October 2008
    Druhim wrote: »
    Ira Glass is indeed awesome

I didn't expect him to look how he does. I guess that I expected some young, indie guy who was a handsome 20-something. Now, I just think that anyone who looks the way he actually does is incredibly handsome.

I could listen to his voice so much

Futore on
    ETqXK.png
  • The Otaku SuppositoryThe Otaku Suppository Bawstan New EnglandRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Why has there been no mention of Prarie Home Companion in a discussion about storytelling on Public Radio? I cast you out Futore.

Mother fucking Garrison Keillor all up in this bitch

The Otaku Suppository on
    edited October 2008
    I haven't listened to Prairie Home Campanion in ages. My bad.

I'll add it to the OP later. I'm going to see who my flatmates invited over to play Rock Band in our living room. They're most likely my friends, as well, so i'm deciding whether pants on/off?

Futore on
    ETqXK.png
  • RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited October 2008
    what's another good podcast that doesn't suck or involve six neckbeards sitting around bitching about video games/technology

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png