As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

XBOX360: Receiving message when emailed?

SeguerSeguer of the VoidSydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
edited October 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
Hey guys, after just recently getting an xbox 360 I'm interested to know if the xbox live part (that is attached to my hotmail email address) can notify me (message or some other way?) when I receive an email or even how many emails I have.

Not sure if it does this at all, but honestly I don't see why it "can't"..

Anyone know about this?

NINJAEDIT: I'm on Silver subscription at the moment, and it seems I can't send messages.. so I assume I also can't receive messages?

Seguer on

• Options
    mspencermspencer PAX [ENFORCER] Council Bluffs, IARegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Not automatically or easily, no. If you're technical and have a Linux machine and are comfortable scripting, there's a way to have your own system send you MSN Messenger alerts any time you like, but I'll wait for you to say "I'm technical so lay it on me" before totally nerding out.

mspencer on
    MEMBER OF THE PARANOIA GM GUILD
    XBL Michael Spencer || Wii 6007 6812 1605 7315 || PSN MichaelSpencerJr || Steam Michael_Spencer || Ham NOØK
    QRZ || My last known GPS coordinates: FindU or APRS.fi (Car antenna feed line busted -- no ham radio for me X__X )
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    It's not officially supported, but I am sure that this is something you could do with some clever scripting. Even just a Firefox extension should technically be able to do this (with access to the Live API).

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    SeguerSeguer of the Void Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I am technical. Lay it on me!

Seguer on
  • Options
    mspencermspencer PAX [ENFORCER] Council Bluffs, IARegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Well, I was thinking, sign up for MSN Messenger on your Xbox, sign up for another account for console Linux use, and have each account add the other to its friend list.

Then use a console MSN Messenger client to send messages from various scripts or logfile analyzers.

You don't actually HAVE to use Linux. You could install a package like Cygwin, get the source code for one of these text mode MSN Messenger clients, and then use batch files or something.

Specifically to check email, you'd need an MSN Messenger console client, some kind of POP3 client (fetchmail perhaps?), a location for a temporary text file which just contains the last number of emails found, and a bit of script-fu. Each time your alerting time interval (five minutes?) passes:
    1) check your "last number of emails" file for existance, and create it with a value of "0" if it doesn't exist.
    2) use fetchmail or similar program to log in to POP3 and count the messages found there, but not retrieve them.
    3) compare with last number of emails. If it's higher than the last number stored, launch MSN Messenger text-mode client and have it message you.
    4) compare again, and if it's different (higher OR lower) update the stored last-number-of-emails file so it contains the value you just found.
    5) terminate -- your task scheduler will handle the next launch of the script.

Not clear, but it should get you started.

mspencer on
    MEMBER OF THE PARANOIA GM GUILD
    XBL Michael Spencer || Wii 6007 6812 1605 7315 || PSN MichaelSpencerJr || Steam Michael_Spencer || Ham NOØK
    QRZ || My last known GPS coordinates: FindU or APRS.fi (Car antenna feed line busted -- no ham radio for me X__X )
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    How does MSN work on the Xbox360? It's currently tied to my hotmail account, which I already use MSN on.

Seguer on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    You don't need to fiddle about with MSN. You can send messages from xbox.com, so you could set up a separate gamertag and write an FF extension that can access both your email inbox and xbox.com. Refresh every ten minutes or so, and when you get a new email, it logs into xbox.com with its own gamertag and sends your main gamertag a message.

Willeth on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    It looks like that requires me to get a Gold subscription, correct?

Seguer on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Oh, maybe. Hold up until after November 19th, the site's changing then and you might not need Gold to send messages from xbox.com at that point.

Willeth on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Sweet. That's after my exams too, gives me time to mess around :D

Seguer on