As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Text to Art? I Need some help!

AllanAllan Registered User regular
edited October 2008 in Artist's Corner
Hi guys. I've got this project you might've heard of (Red Future) and I'm trying to integrate a text document into the pages themselves so that people don't overlook them or think they are unimportant.

However, I don't really know how to make this fit, you know? The comic is dark, grungy, grainy, and a literal page of text doesn't seem to fit.

The LOGS are recordings, translated from a recorder of some sort, so there should be no real illustrations to go along with them. I was thinking about putting it on the old printer paper with some sort of Courier-esque font, but I can't find any of that paper to use.

Anyway, here's an example of how the pages/text would go together:

20080830.png
ch1pt2pg3bsh9.gif

(It would be updated the day after the actual page, so it wouldn't really be under it)

Note: those two pages don't actually go together, but that is how they WOULD go together.

Anyway, any examples or recommendations would be helpful, here. I've got no idea how to do this.

Also, if you notice, the website layout at the homepage is dark. Like, really dark. So the LOGS need to be dark, as well.

EDIT: And if you'd like to try something, here is the text for that LOG entry:

LOG - Day 12: Not gunna talk, now. Taylor will clue ya'll in on her thing. I've got some shootin' to do.
LOG - Day 13: Yeah, I know! I ain't had this much fun since we got here. SOUND EFFECT "GUNSHOT" Hoo hoo! Fuckin' ace shot, Chuck! Hey toss me one'a them Cokes. No--yeah--that one. Th--SOUND EFFECT "GUNSHOT"
LOG - Day 13 continued: --Come on buddy! Get the fuck up! It's--you're not that bad! Come on just--TAYLOR!! Shit!
LOG - Day 13 continued: --Something to stop the bleeding, NOW.--I DON'T KNOW, LIKE CLOTH OR SOMETHING?--Hang in there Chuck!
LOG - Day 14: How long's it been? 8 hours? At least the bleeding's stopped, now.--What?--No. No he should be fine, right? We hit 'em with that antibacterial shit they gave us... they said that'd do it. Fuck, I pray to GOD that that'll do it.

banndd1av6.gifbannerdd2or5.gif
Allan on

• Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Are these logs supposed to be transcripts of someone talking?

Or are they supposed to something someone typed out?

Where do they belong in the storyline? Because it seems that they could be a record of what happened before, but could also be used as s way to allude to what is about to happen.

I guess it may be that they're filling in the blanks of what we haven't seen? I've read quite a bit of your stuff, so I'm a little familiar with the story thus far (kind of), but for a new person this might be weird. At least that is what I see...

I think that if they were a seperate section and there was a note as to what comic they were referring to that might help. People love that shit, like Punisher War Journal.

Tonkka on
    Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    KendeathwalkerKendeathwalker Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Im reading watchmen.. Dont know if youve read it but im going to assume you have. IF you havent, go read it now. I think if you did it similar to what they did with the kid reading the pirate story. (Just to explain in case you havent read watchmen, The story is progressing along and a kid is sitting next to a news stand reading a pirate comic, the speech bubbles and text boxes are running along the top of the panel while the kids pirate story is running along the bottom of the panels. Some times the pirate bit doesnt correlate to the panel at all, some times it does. I found it pretty interesting.)

Kendeathwalker on
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    The lettering doesn't do it for me. It makes me feel like i'm in an office reading yet another memo on a stack of memos.

Think about it; the whole world has gone to hell. Everything's in the deep shit.

Try to reflect this in your type, but don't go full-out crazy font; add a small sense of coherency, as if the author is trying to make sense of the events going on, struggling to maintain his sanity in the process.

Godfather on
  • Options
    RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Uh. The LOGS are from a voice-to-text recording system.
    It makes complete sense that the font would be bland. If he used a strange font it would look like someone's memoir

RubberAC on
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    My mistake.

Still, it'd be nice to see something else. Maybe a thicker computer-looking font?

Godfather on
  • Options
    Billy BucknerBilly Buckner Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I agree this looks like 4th grade drible in my retrospect...now make me some bolgna sandwichs to go with my orange juice...

Only the best 4 Billy Buckner

Billy Buckner on