As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

MOTW 10/29/08 - Spooky Edition

smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
edited November 2008 in Graphic Violence
So far I've only read the USM Annual but it was great. Best part
Embrace Change! Embrace Change!

smokmnky on

• FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    So who is Jackpot?

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
  • Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Rage of the Red Lanterns.
    "Was that a 'no?"

also the cat.

god Sinestro is awesome.

Mai-Kero on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    JLA, courtesy of scans_daily:

What the fuck?

211qvz5.jpg

How was the rest of the issue?

Robos A Go Go on
    edited October 2008
    JLA, courtesy of scans_daily:

What the fuck?

211qvz5.jpg

How was the rest of the issue?

oh my god

is that actually from the issue? that's fantastic.

Mai-Kero on
  • smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Mai-Kero wrote: »
    "Was that a 'no?"

also the cat.

god Sinestro is awesome.

Yeah that was good as well. Also Superman was pretty good but felt "odd" to me.

smokmnky on
    edited October 2008
    Fantastically racist.

Mai-Kero on
  • McClyMcCly Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Oh my god.

McCly on
    kbellchewiesig.jpg
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I thought JLA was a weak cop-out ending to what could've been a really cool storyline. I was sad to see them do away with the alternate timeline so quickly. It had some interesting characters, particularly the Bruce way Paladin character.

Also, the alternate earth had a different Green Lantern, who was actually pretty cool. He asked Vixen if she knew him in the real timeline, and she said no. But that's a perfect opportunity to bring him back down the road. Overall though, JLA kinda sucked. Like I say, the ending was a major let down.

I'd have to say my MotW was definitely Rage of the Red Lanterns. Damn it was good.

Lucascraft on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Mai-Kero wrote: »
    "Was that a 'no?"

also the cat.

god Sinestro is awesome.

Cat-scans. Ha, a pun!
    1225303366132.jpg

1225303389284.jpg

1225303421990.jpg

Robos A Go Go on
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Take a wild guess...

RAGE OF THE MOTHERFUCKING RED LANTERNS!

Crimsondude on
  • TeaSpoonTeaSpoon Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    So, the powers of the Red Lanterns are based on vomiting blood?

TeaSpoon on
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    TeaSpoon wrote: »
    So, the powers of the Red Lanterns are based on vomiting blood?

Its hard to read tone on the internet, but I sense cynical sarcasm here. None the less, I will answer the question.

When a red lantern puts on the red power ring for the first time, their old blood is expelled from their bodies and replaced by pure rage which flows through their veins. The blood vomit is a sign that a new red lantern has just accepted his/her duty.

Lucascraft on
  • ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    But kitty had already accepted his powers before that moment, so I think it factors into their powers as well

Their rings are also capable of expelling a red fluid that bursts into flames upon contact with something

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
    edited October 2008
    It was a bit of both, Lucas.

Still, I know things look different when put into context, so I'm sure it's possible to portray blood vomit as an expression of pure rage. I will, however, hold off on reading Rage of the Red Lanterns until I've read Geoff John's GL run, which I may never do. That's a whole lot of issues.

TeaSpoon on
    edited October 2008
    I NEED RotRL now, after that page alone.

McCly on
    kbellchewiesig.jpg
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Tons of moments this week, but I'd say the end of Nova was the best, along with pretty much all of Secret Invasion: Thor.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
    edited October 2008
    Ethan Van Sciver on his babies.
    NRAMA: What’s with the red stuff coming out of their mouths? Is that what happens when you put on a red ring?

EVS: I thought the hate energy would be so strong within you that it would literally come out your pores, it would come out your nostrils and it would come out your mouth. You would just vomit red energy everywhere. Your eyes would go red and you'd just hate.

Crimsondude on
    edited October 2008
    Man, I want a Red Lantern ring. I wonder if any of the other colors will have "side-affects" too.

McCly on
    kbellchewiesig.jpg
    edited October 2008
    In another interview, Johns as I recall mentioned that the emotional spectrum is rather interesting. Green Lanterns exert the most control over their rings, as it is at one end of the spectrum and is the "light" for willpower, which makes sense since it's generally expressed or described in terms of self-control. Red Lanterns are at the opposite end of the spectrum, and as a result the rings tend to exert more power over the bearer than the other way around. Atrocitus is special in part because he is the alpha Red Lantern, like Sinestro or Ion or Black Hand will be, and has focused his rage and hatred so much towards Sinestro that he is able to wield control of the ring moreso than others (building the power battery doesn't hurt either).

It was suggested before that Scar will either become the Red Guardian or the Black Guardian. It seems clearer now which it will be, if either.

Crimsondude on
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    In another interview, Johns as I recall mentioned that the emotional spectrum is rather interesting. Green Lanterns exert the most control over their rings, as it is at one end of the spectrum and is the "light" for willpower, which makes sense since it's generally expressed or described in terms of self-control. Red Lanterns are at the opposite end of the spectrum, and as a result the rings tend to exert more power over the bearer than the other way around. Atrocitus is special in part because he is the alpha Red Lantern, like Sinestro or Ion or Black Hand will be, and has focused his rage and hatred so much towards Sinestro that he is able to wield control of the ring moreso than others (building the power battery doesn't hurt either).

It was suggested before that Scar will either become the Red Guardian or the Black Guardian. It seems clearer now which it will be, if either.

Green is the middle of the spectrum and the GLs can control it the best because it isn't at either extremes. I think violet is at the opposite end from red

ROYGBIV

Yeah, violet.

Bloods End on
    edited October 2008
    Well that explains the last page of GLC then.

Actually, I wasn't sure if there was an extremist "good" side of the spectrum, and so I was trying to find a picture of the spectrum from GL #25 before I said so. But you're right, Green is in the middle and there are "good" lanterns who are just as ... dedicated and controlled by their rings as the Reds are by theirs.

Crimsondude on
  • Diablo FettDiablo Fett Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Thor #11

holy shit, the part with
    Cap's ghost and the moment of silence was beautiful

Diablo Fett on
    edited October 2008
    Matt Fraction and Michael Chabon apparently decided on their costumes for Halloween.

2981632725_92f171795f_t.jpg
    The "Ed Brubaker"

Crimsondude on
  • Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    have they shown any of the other colour rings yet? Like the hopeful blues, greedy oranges and compassionate indigos? Is it just yellows greens and reds so far?

Desktop Hippie on
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Holy shit you're right about Thor #11 Diablo. Great stuff.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    We've seen the Blue Guardians, but they havent given anyone a ring yet that we have seen

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2008
    We met our first Blue Lantern today.

Miri Riam became a Violet Lantern in the last GLC.

Crimsondude on
    edited October 2008
    have they shown any of the other colour rings yet? Like the hopeful blues, greedy oranges and compassionate indigos? Is it just yellows greens and reds so far?

we saw the first Violet lantern in the last issue if GLC

as for the others,
    there was a hint at the Orange lanterns here, and the first Blue lantern showed up on the last page

Diablo Fett on
    edited October 2008
    kinda figured that'd be a spoiler

Diablo Fett on
    edited October 2008
    Agent Orange is the arc following Rage of the Red Lanterns in Green Lantern.

I want to say that he's the one shown for Orange in DC Universe #0, but I won't just to be cautious for once.

Crimsondude on
  • RansRans Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Agent Orange is the arc following Rage of the Red Lanterns in Green Lantern.

I want to say that he's the one shown for Orange in DC Universe #0, but I won't just to be cautious for once.

I think Johns confirmed that was him in #0

Rans on
    edited October 2008
    Seriously, DC needs to start selling copies of these rings now that the War of Light has begun.

Because I'm just not thrilled with the idea of going to a random jeweler for a red enamel ring that can put a dent in a man's skull when I can get it at a comic store instead.

Crimsondude on
  • Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Okee dokee. Thanks guys.

Desktop Hippie on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I thought those were Orange Guardians.

Fencingsax on
    edited October 2008
    Matt Fraction and Michael Chabon apparently decided on their costumes for Halloween.

2981632725_92f171795f_t.jpg
    The "Ed Brubaker"

I love that Michael Chabon is a comic book fan as well as one of the best writers of his generation.

TeaSpoon on
  • VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Never heard of him.

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    I thought those were Orange Guardians.
    The Controllers were shown in RotRL today, searching for their own power source, the 'orange power'. But in DC Universe #0, a single orange lantern was shown in a room saying "Don't touch that. It's mine."

In RotRL, when the Controllers talked about seizing the source, a word bubble with orange around it said "No! It's mine!" It was smaller than usual bubbles and the Controllers didn't appear to react to it, so the significance of this is not yet known.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
    edited October 2008
    You're missing out. He won a Pulitzer for The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay, which was in essence a love letter to comics. Other than that, he has written a bunch of other best-selling novels.

Check out his wikipedia page and read a few of his books. You'll be a fan instantly.

TeaSpoon on
  • DarklyreDarklyre Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    RotRL was absolutely fucking awesome.

Darklyre on
    edited October 2008
    Yeah, both want the Orange Power. It is Avarice, after all. I'd be silly not to attract a bunch of greedy motherfuckers who all want to control it.

Interestingly, they were the first ones mentioned when Orange was first revealed, but it's been recently that Johns has been promoting Agent Orange as another possible Lantern or Guardian or whatever.

Crimsondude on