As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

This has been some week

EriosErios Registered User regular
edited October 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
My computer was having problems it was locking up when I was preforming certain tasks, so I tried a system restore and it didn't seem to work to well, so now I really need to get my documents and other stuff before I re-image it. The problem is that every time I start up, windows start up repair automatically pops up and fails to fix anything and I can't get around it.

I use windows vista 64.

Steam: erios23, Live: Coconut Flavor, Origin: erios2386.
Erios on

• Options
    AdrossAdross Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    The best thing I think of is to bypass windows altogether. Download an ubuntu live cd and boot off that. It will mount all of your ntfs drives which you can place onto another drive, allowing you to re-image it risk free.
    www.ubuntu.com

Adross on
    Human knowledge belongs to the world
  • Options
    romanqwertyromanqwerty Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Can you put your HD in another computer and copy data off it without running windows from it?

romanqwerty on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Can you put your HD in another computer and copy data off it without running windows from it?

Not likely, it's a laptop HDD, so I'm not sure if that would work. However, I will give it a shot assuming it will still hook up to a sata cable like any normal sata drive (never messed with laptop HDs before).

Oh and I use vista 32, not that it matters.

Erios on
  • Options
    Torque MonkeyTorque Monkey Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Vista so it's a newer computer, run over to best buy or even like walmart and buy a SATA dock or enclosure, use it and get your stuff off the drive.

Torque Monkey on
    Gojira2.png
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Erios wrote: »

Not likely, it's a laptop HDD, so I'm not sure if that would work. However, I will give it a shot assuming it will still hook up to a sata cable like any normal sata drive (never messed with laptop HDs before).

If it's a newer laptop, it will have a SATA drive which is the exact same interface as SATA on a desktop PC, just need cable and power and you're good.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    supabeastsupabeast Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    If it’s a laptop you can still boot from a Linux CD and use that to dump the files to a USB hard drive. Which you need to buy so that you can backup files and not run into this problem again.

supabeast on
  • Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Erios wrote: »

A great tool for moving data of hard drives without have to take apart both computers and fiddle with internal cabling is one of these. We have like 3 of them at work, and I have 1 at home.

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Linux Live Cd (NimbleX) solved my problem!

Erios on