As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

World of Warcraft: Trading Card Game

• Options
    WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Well I am excitedly waiting for my Drums of War box I got on the cheap from ebay. But in the mean time can anyone reccomend a budget deck for block? (MotL, SotB, HfI)

I managed to snag playsets of every common/uncommon from those sets for relatively cheap and figured it'd be a decent way to start the collection (especially if I am going to introduce some friends to the game). Unfortunately I am still waiting for them in the mail and don't have them in front of me. The nearest place that I can play is 40 minutes away, and they play block. Although I fully expect to do poorly the first few time out as I get a handle on the game, I am sort of lost as to where to begin with the deck building and need a jumping off point. I am very familiar with other card games and I am pretty well versed in the various archtypes, just specifically what cards I should just ignore/covet etc. are what escapes me due to inexperience.

Also I figured this would be a good way for people to help possible lurkers (and posters) who are starting out/relatively new.

So any reccomendations as to what classes fit where, would be easy on a newbie, or are at least somewhat cohesive with few rares/epics to fit in? As I mentioned I am comfortable seeing a discussion regarding a more abstract ideas of aggro vs. aggro-control or similar ideas, but:

1) I don't know how earth shattering WoW is regarding this element
    2) I'd say feel free to dumb things down for anyone who might be reading as well.

Note: I am not looknig for anything in particular, I have always jumped from various archtypes to others in other games and I'll just go with what is fun and wins at the moment. Thanks!

WingedWeasel on
  • Options
    BlurgBlurg Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Start off with a loyal hero, (non-traitor) and probably make either a Paladin or a shaman, each are very versitile and work very well in tournaments

other than that, with a shaman, if you use totems alot, put in aldor protectors, to keep the 1 hp totems alive
    with pali you can go either aldor or Scryer and it works well

Aldor: Protectors and Inspire
    Scryer: Stealth and Sabotage

Both are very nice cards to have in your decks

Blurg on
    Yes, I do know that my Avi says Drizzt,
    YES, I Did make the sig.
    NO I WONT MAKE ONE FOR YOU!
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Thanks for the advice Blurg!

Question:

Is there any particular reason you reccomend a loyal rather than traitor hero?

Anyone else have any suggestions/comments? Unfortunately I am still waiting on the rest of my stuff to come in the mail so I haven't gotten to see a lot of it firsthand so I amy end up just sitting the sidelines this week but either way any advice would still be beneficial.

WingedWeasel on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    traitor heros cant use as much of the same stuff as a loyal hero does, and they dont have specs, when you make your hero always look for the cards that say
    for instance: Discipline Hero Required

You would want a Discipline Priest. Cards that need a specific spec are usally very powerful and I havent seen too many powerful Traitor cards that dont hurt you too

but until then look over the rules and stuff and get involved in tournaments in your community and stuff, its great if you have a group of friends that all play different classes and you just have a pool of cards you choose from.

If you need anything else, just ask here

Blurg on
    YES, I Did make the sig.
  • Options
    SightTDWSightTDW Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Has anyone tried a Demon hero deck? I ended up with a Mother Mercy, and I'm trying to figure out how to make some use of her.

SightTDW on
    Live - SightTDW | PSN - SightTDW | Nintendo Network - Wildschwein | 3DS - 1934-0834-9797
    Steam - Wildschwein | The Backlog
    Grappling Hook Showdown - Tumblr
  • Options
    4rch3nemy4rch3nemy Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    WingedWeasel: I really enjoy playing my Mage deck, with lots of direct damage spells and cheap, offensive oriented creatures, it's like playing red sligh in MtG! Cheap to build too.. a good list to go off might be this one just for it's utter simplicity and easy to get cards: http://wow.tcgplayer.com/db/deck.asp?ID=1331

I'm probably going for a mid-ranged deck, not super fast and not super control either, next. Any recommendations anybody?

4rch3nemy on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Again, thanks for the replies/advice.

I have seen a few lists for traitor decks (desecrator stormclaw specifically) outside of block, I guess they just don't make the transition very well without help from other sets?

A related question, the "Druids of the Fang"....keyword...well not really a keyword (I do not know the actual game term), does it provide any actual in game effect? I haven't gotten to search the rules entirely for this as well as other things so I figured since I am posting anyway I'd ask.

WingedWeasel on
  • Options
    GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    (I'm responding to a whole page of posts here, so please excuse my brevity)
    I have to disagree with the Traitor vs. Loyal recommendation. Some Traitor abilities are just too good to pass up, especially for rush decks.
    Traitor Alliance Druid with Serpent Form, Myriam and Inspire was the deck to beat for a long time and it really shaped the meta-game. Still a very good deck.
    Kil'zin Rush is another Traitor deck that is very strong at the moment.

Regarding Aldor vs. Scryer: Aldor is just better. Inspire is way stronger than Sabotage as far as keywords go. You'd need a very specific reason to go Scryer over Aldor.

Demon heros: Those can be fun, but are not competitive. Pinprik can work in a draft, but makes for boring matches. There were some Obliveron decks at Worlds, he's your best bet for constructed. I like my Obliveron deck for casual play, but he consistently looses against some deck types. The rest are hindered too much by their restrictions.

The linked mage deck only uses old cards that often have better alternatives in the newer editions. Magma Spike comes to mind. Water Elemental is Frost Nova on crack, but he's expensive, of course. Quests got much better over time, same goes for allies. The deck has no ability or equipment hate (except for Zygore for 6 which is way to late) and would therefore lose badly in the modern environment.

/edit: "Druid of the Fang" does nothing. It's just the faction, not a keyword.

/second edit: The traitor druid I mentioned uses Twig of the World Tree, Cobra Scale Hood and Cyclone as important elements that are not in the second block. Cyclone is the hardest to replace, but it might be possible.

Grobian on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I disagree about Aldor being better than the Scryer, I have a scryer(forget the name) that sabatages all keywords, except on allys you control. meaning Scryer become amazing and aldor withh then suck

Blurg on
    YES, I Did make the sig.
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Sure. But Sabotage needs the ally to be in your group for a whole turn, where Inspire has a positive effect even if the opponent gets rid of the ally in his next turn. And even if the ally gets to sabotage then it can be protected against, whereas the opponent can do nothing at all against Inspire.

I'm not arguing that every Scryer card sucks, just that Inspire is a better keyword overall.

Grobian on
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Oh, yeah, definitely.

Although, if you've got any way to give allies stealth, some of the Scryer stuff can be hi-larious. The Scryer's Bloodgem can set that up fairly easily.

magistrix_larynna.jpg

Late-game, that's going to *hurt*.

And if you know you're going to win the first game out of three, lol Sabotage: Game.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    PMAvers wrote: »
    Late-game, that's going to *hurt*.

And if you know you're going to win the first game out of three, lol Sabotage: Game.

Also, boooooobs lol

Yeah, that mage deck I linked is pretty old but the cards are standard fare and easy to get. If you want a tournament worthy deck just look at the worlds top 8, and then add some cards you think will be tasty from DoW. There are some GREAT ones in there.

Grobian: When is the Drums of War block legal? Is it like MtG where people build decks solely with DoW cards, then add the next expansion, then the next, as time goes on? Or will they wait until all 3 DoW sets have come out before any of that?

Also are they doing anything with a "standard" or "extended" format like in MtG? I ask you because you seem to know what's goin' on. :P

4rch3nemy on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I think it's legal now.

The WoW TCG only had standard constructed, which is "all printed cards ever are legal". This format is still in play and also what World Championships etc. use (and UDE stated that this will stay, likely forever).

Then, in the last Realm Champiosnhip season they introduced block constructed which was "all cards from the second block", including the raid decks and crafted cards of that time and excluding the first block. Currently there is no new block constructed for DoW, since the block only consists of one edition. So, I think block constructed is dead for now and may return with the third edition of the DoW-block.

Draft/Sealed is entirely different and is mostly "boosters from the last three editions" or "boosters from this block".

Grobian on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Awww, that sounds kinda boring IMO.

A constantly rotating base of cards to play with as the "main" format would be preferable for newer people hoping to get into the competitive scene. Now I have to go and find playsets of all the tasty rares/epics from the older sets and it'll cost me.. Type 2 is my favorite constructed format in MtG! The big difference between the two games are that the cards are getting stronger as time goes on, while MtG has the power9 from the earliest out of print sets, which means Type 2 isn't as necessary but I still kinda wanted to put my Azeroth cards away for good (unless playing the WoW-equivalent Type 1 or Extended).

I like playing limited sealed (and draft seems fun, haven't played yet), so there's no whining there, at least.

4rch3nemy on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Huh.

I had no idea that the starters for Drums of War are actually fixed this time, with two decks.

That's nifty.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    so if I were to go out and buy a drums of war starter deck with a specific picture on the front I will get a certain deck made with those cards ?

Draeven on
    Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• Options
    edited November 2008
    Every Drums of War Starter contains the same 2 decks. (Alliance mage, Horde hunter)
    The only variance is in the 3 Oversized hero cards.

Decklists:
    Spellweaver Jihan

3 Outland sucks!
    2 A Rare Bean
    3 Establishing New Outposts
    2 Revenge is tasty
    1 Wand of Biting Cold
    1 Conjured Cinnamon Roll
    1 Mystic Denial
    2 Engulfing Blaze
    2 Arcane Spikes
    4 Ice Lance
    2 Magnus Longbarrel
    1 Chief Researcher Kartos
    2 Swordsmith Hanso
    2 Virkaltor
    4 Priestess Katianna
    4 Bernard, Zealot of the light
    4 Hovin the shield
    3 Orono the Great

The Longeye

3 The Last Barov
    2 Arena Master
    3 Bolstering Our Defenses
    2 Soup for the Soul
    1 Bloodseeker
    1 Lohn'goron, Bow of the Torn-heart
    2 Arcane Spikes
    1 Hunter's Mark
    2 Turn the Blade
    3 Sudden Shot
    2 Zip
    1 Chief Researcher Amereldine
    2 Mistress Nalia Flameburst
    3 Nok'tal the Savage
    4 Joja'bee
    4 Selin Duskrunner
    4 Batter Brains McGillicutty
    3 Ra'za Wildstorm

Grobian on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Also with the starter decks there are exclusive cards you can't get anywhere else, furthering the belief that UDeck are a bunch of filthy money hungry whores.

Starter Deck exclusive cards:
    Horde:
    3X Ra'za Wildstorm (4cost, 6/2)
    4X "Batter Brains" Mcgillicuty (1 cost, 1/1, When he is destroyed, target player discards a card.)
    4X Selin Duskrunner (2 cost, 2/2, When you play an ability, Selin deals 1 shadow damage to target hero or ally)
    4X Joja'bee (3cost, 3/4, When Joja'bee enters play, you may ready one of your resources)

Alliance:
    3X Orono the Great (4cost, 4/4)
    4X Hovin the Shield (3cost, 0/9,Protector,3->ready hovin)
    4X Bernard, Zealot of the Light (1cost, 2/1, 1 Destroy Bernard->Destroy target attacking ally)
    4X Priestess Katianna (2cost, 2/3,elusive)

Batter Brains, Selin Duskrunner, Hovin, Bernard, and Katianna seem decent enough. Batter Brains and Bernard are my favorites.

4rch3nemy on
  • Options
    ScootaScoota Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I don't mean the hijack the thread by any means, so I'm just going to ask it- Is this thread going to also be used for the WOW Minis? www.wowminis.com. If someone could point me to a thread that we're using to discuss this, I'd appreciate it. It comes out pretty soon (11/11/08).

Scoota on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Going through my booster box now, and I've gotta say there's a lot of nifty-cool stuff in this set.

Although, I think they've peaked, and can't make a ally more awesome than

daggum_tygor.jpg

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I got the black temple raid deck the other day as part of a trade
    It's just hard and somewhat akward to look for people who might play or are willing to play the game

I saw the demo kind of at Blizzcon of the minis game. It looked like Heroscape from the few minutes I saw of it but I really don't know

Brainleech on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    New crafting gear's up.

http://entertainment.upperdeck.com/wow/en/news/article.aspx?aid=4923

Engineers, rep-re-sentah!

The goggles are *damn* sexy.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Wel, I managed to mooch a deck for my first 2 sanctioned events (a local block constructed event and a realm qualifier the next day), and then jump in a draft following the qualifier.

I got roflstomped in constructed as I re-discovered how poor my shuffling skills are. Keeping hands with bloodsoul/gora/some burn and then hitting every quest in the deck in 2 matches seems to be as close to mana screw as you can get in this game. Finishing 2-2 is decent for my first real outing with the game.

For Drums of War draft (if anyone cares):

I have found alliance warlock/hunter to be very strong. The shadowmeld allies + the ally (who's name escapes me) that is a 2/4 with dimplomacy: draeni (I think) that untaps guys is pretty impressive. I say warlock since you have a wrath effect in the ability that deals 3 to everything and the ongoing shadow [something] ability that deals 2 every turn. That is on top of (another card name I forget) that will ping everything on the opposing side and make them discard for every dude that dies. Combined with shadowmeld and other pingers you can really lock down the board and you get to decide when things attack and who they attack for the most part.

My losses in the draft were to the frustrating overtime rules (and my opponent getting the turn 1 ferocity horde guy in overtime) and to essentially the mirror but my opponent was using the hunter instead of the warlock. The ability to untap your tappers, untap your pingers, and untap shadowmeld is very strong. Then again I don't know how strong the drafters I was with were so you may not see as many of the required allies as I did.

I am convinced if I was more experienced with the cards and didn't have to read everything twice or three times I would not have gone to time. And I was a single play error away from taking the match in the "mirror".

Also the ogre ninja that someone mentioned is awesome. It is hilarious and playable, solid combination.

WingedWeasel on
  • Options
    ZephosZephos Climbin in yo ski lifts, snatchin your people up. MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    so if i have a bunch of cards i'd be interested in selling where would be the best place to go about that?

Zephos on
    Xbox One/360: Penguin McCool
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    In case anyone's interested, I just scanned up the promo cards from the WotLK Collector's edition, and shipped them off to WoWTCGDB.

Figure you guys might want to see 'em too, since they're the first Death Knight allies.

Conqueror Kagon Blackskull.

Lord Anton Lightbane.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I must've missed the promo cards being listed as CE contents. Personally I think the alliance DK is stronger since he can protect himself (although to do it in 1 turn he's a 9 drop) via ghouls. Although the direct damage of the orc is good I don't know if as a 6 drop it is worth it.

Artwork is pretty sweet as well on both.

WingedWeasel on
  • Options
    KenninatorKenninator Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Old thread is old.

Had a bunch of left over Christmas money, got 2 booster packs on a whim, if only to say I got a few cards as some kind of sick, backwards souveneir of my WoW obsession.

So I read up on the game, and it seems like something I'd really like to at least try. I'm gonna get the Drums of War set sometime in the morning. It's my first card game, other than just collecting Pokemon cards when I was a kid.

Kenninator on
  • Options
    EnciferEncifer Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Is the WoW card game awesome? I started playing Magic not too long ago, and was wondering if this one was worth giving a try. Though, I mostly just want a Dudefella card, haha.

Encifer on
    2efkd4k.jpg
  • Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Bringer of Death pretty much ruined this game for me.

It's stupid.

Salvation122 on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Wow, this thread lives again ;-)

Yes the game is awesome. I think it's better than Magic, but ymmv. Also you get to play Raids which is unique (in TCGs) and fun.

The Bringer isn't so bad. There are ways to play around it (or outright counter it). It only comes on turn 8 or later, so you have plenty of time to prepare for it.

Grobian on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I played my first raid the other night against 4 people who didn't have decks specifically designed for teamwork/raiding. I demolished them as Onyxia. MWAHAHAHA.
    It was really fun though, and can't wait to try the rest! Especially with decks built with raids in mind.

Also, Blood of the Gladiators is out.. and I've opened a box. There are some pretty neat cards but I'm not getting the "omg this is so rad" feeling out of it as I did from Drums of War.

Our playgroup is getting better and better everyday and I feel this game is pretty deep, and closing in on Magic's depth already. Considering how old Magic is.. this is a pretty staggering accomplishment.

Anyone else still play this game?

4rch3nemy on
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I kind of play I spend more time looking for people to play than playing the game

Brainleech on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    You can look into Lackey or Magic Workstation to play online. Lackey is free but it's near impossible to get a game. Magic Workstation isn't free but it updates more quickly and there are more games to be had. I wish more people played and closer to where I live so I wouldn't have to drive an hour just to play for 2-3 hours. But the game is a ton of fun and the raid concept was very well designed.

WingedWeasel on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Agreed about the raid design. It's a whole bunch of fun so far. I can see power creep of the sets (sets getting more and more powerful cards) making the older raids trivial, though. Maybe self-imposed limitation of what sets you can use against certain raids would be best. Hmm..

An allusion to Magic:
    Recently I've seen the dominance of Mage decks that use counterspells and high-threat allies. This is very similar to Magic's old-school blue dominance. Every set the Mage's options grow wider and wider, as more and more control is being given to them. I hope we don't see one deck wins all, sitations anytime soon. I trust in UD's balance team, but they have to be careful as they're walking a pretty thin line at the moment.

4rch3nemy on
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    4rch3nemy wrote: »
    Agreed about the raid design. It's a whole bunch of fun so far. I can see power creep of the sets (sets getting more and more powerful cards) making the older raids trivial, though.

That just proves that the card game designers want to be authentic to the source material.

desc on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    You know what would be interesting?

A box set that contains cards for all the raids, to bring them back in line difficulty-wise.

(Call it the "Caverns of Time" set or something.)

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    CarnarvonCarnarvon Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Hey guis. I just bought a 4x set of commons and uncommons of the original set(Heroes of Azeroth, I think) for like, $20 off of ebay. A pretty good deal, it seems.

I'm planning to play with a friend who doesn't have any cards yet, so I'm making two deck. Do these look evenly matched?
    Vakeron(Got a booster pack when I was at the mall with $4 burning a hole in my pocket; it kinda started the whole thing)

1 Stylean Silversteel
    2 Hannah the Unstoppable
    2 Liba Wobblebonk
    2 Lady Courtney Noel
    3 Parvink
    2 Kena Shadowbrand
    2 Randipan
    2 Milo the Unmerciful
    4 Tracker Gallen

2 Hide of the Wild
    2 Iceblade Hacker
    1 Hammer of Grace
    1 Truesilver Breastplate
    2 Draconian Deflector
    1 Lionheart Helm
    2 The Shatterer

1 Blessing of Might
    3 Blessing of Protection
    4 Hammer of Justice
    3 Holy Light
    2 Sacred Duty
    2 Seal of Light
    2 Vanquish
    4 Touched By the Light
    2 Cleanse

3 The Defias Brotherhood
    2 Kibler's Exotic Pets
    1 The Cipher of Damnation

Timmo Shadestep

3 Dragonkin Menace
    4 A Donation of Wool
    2 Battle of Darroshire
    3 It's a Secret to Everybody!

2 Devilsuar Leggings
    2 Eye of Rend
    2 Mason's Fraternity Ring
    2 Heartseeker
    2 Krol Blade

2 Coup de Grace
    2 Crippling Poison
    2 Dismantle
    2 Waylay
    3 Stealth
    4 Gouge
    4 Sinister Strike

1 Acolyte Demia
    2 Milo the Unmerciful
    1 Parvink
    2 Randipan
    2 Melgwy Pingzot
    4 Galahandra, Keeper of the Silent Grove
    4 Galway Steamwhistle
    4 Adept Breton

Carnarvon on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    (Sorry for my thread necromancy, but the OP is pretty much still relevant)

Is anyone still playing this?
    The World Championship (and DMF) Austin is basically a week away.

Next month we get the first edition of the new block: Scourgewar. The new class Death Knight will probably be overpowered like it was in the online game. You can ride mounts then. And other stuff that makes you want to spend money on painted cardboard!
    Previews so far:
    Kilix-for-web.jpg
    18ExEN198.jpg

New loot cards

There's also a new raid on the horizon: Naxxramas containing 15 bosses and everyone's favourite Lich Kel'Thuzad.

Grobian on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    One of the big things to remember about DK's is that they didn't get class icons on old cards retroactively.

So, at the moment all they can use is the stuff out of the DK Starter Set.

I'm definitely looking forward to it, at least, since from what I've seen they look fun to play.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I'm glad someone necro'd this thread. I had been meaning to but now I didn't have to go search for it.

Scourgewar is going to be the first set I am really into the game for. I started playing around drums, and had to take a break for a while before blood of gladiators so I am excited for this set.

In all honesty I am more excited for the kitten loot as an actual playable card (druid tokens viable?). And is it just me or does kilix look...I dunno strange compared to nerubians in the game? He reminds me more of the first boss in AN

Also anyone who is looking for another site about the game check out: infogathering.com

It is run by a guy in the azshara realm (NY, NJ, PA, MA, and another state maybe?), by the name of Brian Legrow. I have met him at a few events and both he and his crew are really cool guys that are very helpful (which is something I can say about pretty much every WoW player I have met). The articles are probably the most insightful you'll find for the game, although the site isn't updated very frequently. Since it is team run as opposed to store (like say...starcity or brainburst...or whatever they are called now...tcgplayer?) understandably they aren't putting cutting edge tech articles.

I can't make it to worlds unfortunately so I am skipping ahead to november when RC's, scourgewar, and the naxxramas raid releases. Realm champs should be interesting. The consensus "best" deck is black ice, but obviously it can be beaten since at best it put people at X-2 at GenCon, although that was definitely good enough to make it to day 2.

WingedWeasel on