As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Entertaining the youngins...

milehighmilehigh Registered User regular
edited October 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
So my brother and his wife have something coming up Saturday night, and I've told him that my girlfriend and I will entertain my niece (12) and nephew (9) for the evening.. They haven't spent a ton of time around my girlfriend so I figured this would be a good time to hang out and do some fun stuff whilst bonding and whatnot.

I've already setup reservations at one of those teppanyaki places as neither have ever been to one. I was thinking a movie for the remainder, however nothing notable or appropriate is playing. High School Musical 3 would send my niece into a frenzied cheer while driving my nephew to the closest corner screaming, whereas an arcade (which I used to love) would do the opposite. So basically I'm looking for something to occupy an evening and would entertain both sexes. Any good ideas? Mind you I'm in Colorado and the weather isn't horrible, but it's not warm at night either. Also while I don't want to throw down stacks of money (I'm 23 and going back to school), I'm not opposed to something that would really create a cool memory for them.

Thanks for any advice!

milehigh on

• Options
    RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Find out what their parents never let them do, and do that with them. That's what cool uncles are for.

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Aquariums are neat. So are museums with dinosaurs and shit.

Where are you in Colorado? Is there some kind of tourism board you can look to for relevant info?

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Take the boy to the arcade, makke your girlfriend take your neice to the movie?

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    ANTVGM64ANTVGM64 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    As cheesey as it sounds, I always found Candlepin Bowling fun. They also have little arcades more often than not.

Failing that, Fly a kite!

Really. It can be fun once you get it up there.

Bring a backup in case, though.

ANTVGM64 on
  • Options
    clsCorwinclsCorwin Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Colorado + username milehigh = Denver.

Hell, take them to Casa Bonita. That place is fun, and last I recall they have an arcade in there too.

It would be even better if Boardwalk USA was still around. Used to be right by Casa Bonita and was a kick ass arcade.

clsCorwin on
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Take the boy to the arcade, make your girlfriend take your niece to the movie?

If you trust your girlfriend enough, this seems like a good idea.

Tam on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Black light bowling.

Well, the nine year old will like it. Not so sure about the twelve year old.

Quid on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I like Robos idea of a museum, but then, I was a really nerdy little kid. Now, I'm just a big nerd but still, museums entertain me.

Possibly hit the wild life experience down in Parker, they've got that animal grossology exhibit that would likely appeal to the 9 year old. They close at 5 though so it may not fit the schedule.

May not a bit out of the way, depending on where in colorado you live though.

Depending on the time, you might hit Elitch's for the last day of the season. Probably a bit more then you want to spend, but I imagine it would be fun for everyone.

see317 on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Is the Children's Museum over by Elitches still around? That was always fun.

clsCorwin on
  • Options
    CruixCruix Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    What about going ice skating? Seems like the right time of year and it's pretty fun and not too expensive, either. Most ice skating rinks I've been to have little arcades as well. Dinner, then ice skating, then maybe ice cream to end the night if you guys are up for it.

Cruix on
    housesig2.gif
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    clsCorwin wrote: »
    Is the Children's Museum over by Elitches still around? That was always fun.
    It's still around, but I think it's a little below the age group. Last time I went with my niece/nephews it really seemed geared for the under 7 crowd. And I think 7 may be pushing it a bit.

Cruix's idea would also be fun.
    I used to work at a skate rink with a large arcade and some small indoor rides. Saturday nights they had a special where for (IIRC) 10 bucks you could skate and ride the rides as often as you wanted. Located off of Arapahoe and Peoria. South Suburban Family Sports Center.

Edit: Actually, on checking the site, that was Friday nights, not Saturdays. Checking the schedule, looks like the only open skating on Saturdays is 1-4 pm. And that's likely to be chaos incarnate with birthday parties.

see317 on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Hmm, I know the answer.

Laser Quest. Do the Friday night Ironman games. Avoid members nights, members make small kids cry.

clsCorwin on
  • Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    clsCorwin wrote: »
    Hmm, I know the answer.

Laser Quest. Do the Friday night Ironman games. Avoid members nights, members make small kids cry.

This. The one on Hampden and Yosemite. It's something like 8,000 square feet with three towers and bridges and walkways and, etc. You get the idea.

I have yet to see a kid who hates laser tag.

Is Phat City still around? They had bowling and arcade games and laser tag.

Deadfall on
    7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Even though its a day after Halloween, there's usually still some halloween type stuff going on for the rest of the weekend, haunted hayrides or things, girls and boys seem to like that kind of stuff.

You could always split the movie, go to a horror movie or something else with your nephew and let your girlfriend take your nice to high school musical then meet up afterward.

http://www.getscared.com/tickets.html

BlackbeardonGuitar on
    n13908669_48529144_9322.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Laser Quest laser tag is superior to any other laser tag around. Serously, they have a Nation Competition for it. Much better than those cheesy laser tag sets.

clsCorwin on