As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Music thread wherein we talk about bands from the ill-defined [Indie] genre

BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
So I guess I'll take the time to make a shitty OP with a bunch of youTube videos and such.

The Most Serene Republic!
The Comas!
Final Fantasy! (Owen Pallet!)
The Mighty Narwhales! (Band from GR, Michigan where I lived for the last 5 years)
First Aid Kit!
Now post you jerks, help find me new music again.

...To 2009?

Burtletoy on

• BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    You guys suck.

Protomen ACT II 7" to be released on Nov. 8th.

This excites me more than two tracks ever should. Too bad it is only for people going to their show.

Burtletoy on
  • ilmmadilmmad Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I was gonna make this a while ago but I wouldn't know what to out in the OP for this thread. I think an apt summation of this thread is a lot of people saying "hey, I like this band!" while everyone else ignores them (save one or two replies) to add in their own "hey, I like this band!"

Hey guys have you ever heard of Solare? I like this band.

ilmmad on
    Ilmmad.gif
  • Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    So I recently purchased Pretty. Odd.

Now I hate Panic's first album because it is a bunch of pretentious whiny douchebaggery and also because this girl I know wrote slashfic about it and ew

But Pretty. Odd. is like what you'd get if you took the last three years of the Beetles and then went back in time and gave McCartney the collected works of Smashing Pumpkins or something

Salvation122 on
    edited November 2008
    So I recently purchased Pretty. Odd.

Now I hate Panic's first album because it is a bunch of pretentious whiny douchebaggery and also because this girl I know wrote slashfic about it and ew

But Pretty. Odd. is like what you'd get if you took the last three years of the Beetles and then went back in time and gave McCartney the collected works of Smashing Pumpkins or something

That's weird. I loved Sin Not Tragedies, because if you actually listen to the album you realize that in no songs do Panic! whine. Nor are they particularly pretentious; and let's face it, if any genre receives this accusation more than any other it is indie. Sins is above-average lyrical composition and two distinct musical styles (the album purposefully moves from a synth-heavy first half to a baroque second half with an intermission) that had one hit which propelled it into public consciousness. I'm sorry that you thing Panic! are bad because a certain group of people listen to them, but having gotten into them before they got MTV'd and therefore allowing myself to listen to them without bias I can say that they were very good in Sins not Tragedies.

On the other hand, Pretty. Odd. failed to capture the fun that their first album contained. I know that they are trying to be more serious (hence removing the "!" from their name) but honestly if I just want a fun-yet-not-stupid time I put on Sins.

ilmmad on
    Ilmmad.gif
  • Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I was going to make this thread with my top tens (albums, songs) sometime this weekend. Was going to call it "Sometimes I claim to know a guy but I can't tell you what his [Indie Music] looks like." I was pretty happy with that title, too.

Oh well, I'll still do my top tens, because I want to. So there. Just not now.

Going to listen to the new Oasis, I heard it was pretty good.

Also, been listening to a lot of Shad lately. Wish I'd been on top of that last year. I don't usually even bother with hip-hop, but Shad has it going on, for sure.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
    edited November 2008
    There you go Page, you get the title...for now.

But I don't like having the word "cant" in the title without the ' which doesn't fit into the allocated title space.

Burtletoy on
  • Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Good enough for me. <3

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
    edited November 2008
    I just started listening to the newest Okkervil River.

It's good.

ilmmad on
    Ilmmad.gif
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Are we talking about indie music as in the kind that the radio doesn't play, or the kind that people who wear scarves listen to?

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
    edited November 2008
    Are we talking about indie music as in the kind that the radio doesn't play, or the kind that people who wear scarves listen to?

I've never worn a scarf for as far back in my life as I can recall.

Burtletoy on
  • ins0mniacins0mniac Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I'm pretty sure the last thread covered just about everything that could be considered "indie". Whether it was the hipster crowd of elitist music or the more well known but not quite mainstream artists.

I had mentioned Panic's Pretty.Odd. in the last thread and all in all I found it to be a great disc. No, it doesn't capture the same energy that Sins does. However, Panic did receive a lot of undeserved hate for the most part, as everyone jumped on the "pretentious douchebaggery" bandwagon that arose when they hit MTV.

I think the band wanted to show that they do have a larger understanding of music and can play tracks that are more mature than their previous work. I was very impressed by the completely different direction that they took with the album, even showing their country chops with "Folkin' Around" and their newfound love for the Beatles and the Beach Boys on pretty much every other track. All in all, it's a great CD.

ins0mniac on
    X-Box Live Gamertag: Merciless319
  • BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Awesome thread title.

BlindPsychic on
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Amon Tobin now makes songs one by one and sells them individually each month. He's got a bunch of free stuff from his shows too. I'm going through that first, then I'll get caught up on the stuff for sale.

His performance "Live at Donaufestival Krems April 2008" is an hour and 22 minutes long and is amazing.

What is the difference between mp3 and wav? Because wav is more expensive.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    WAV is uncompressed. Also fucking huge. An hour and a half of WAV would probably be upwards of a gig.

Salvation122 on
  • astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Girl Talk tomorrow. If you are going to the show, I'll be the white guy dancing horribly.

astrobstrd on
    Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
    edited November 2008
    Seriously. You guys need to help me find more new music.

In return I give you The Electric Owls!

A side band, maybe a new band, from Andy Herod the front-man for, what now appears to be a dead band, The Comas

Burtletoy on
  • SyphilisaurusSyphilisaurus Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Re: The Mighty Narwhale

I am just glad they are in the first post. I've seen them a couple times, once in Grand Rapids and once in Holland, and they are just killer. Did you happen to pick up their album, Burtletoy? I think it came out not too long ago, but I haven't managed to get it, yet.

Syphilisaurus on
    adsigcopy4kn.png
  • KealohaKealoha Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    astrobstrd wrote: »
    Girl Talk tomorrow. If you are going to the show, I'll be the white guy dancing horribly.

i hope this was meant to be sarcastic

because thats all girl talk shows. everyone - including gregg gills - is a white guy dancing horribly. no, there are no ladies.

Kealoha on
    !! ! ! !!
  • TrusTrus Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I just started listening to Wolf Parade, I don't know if I like it or not...

Trus on
    qFN53.png
  • flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Wolf Parade is awesome and I am seeing M83 on Friday and Girl Talk on Saturday

Go me

flamebroiledchicken on
    y59kydgzuja4.png
  • VorusVorus Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Everyone should listen to the Brian Jonestown Massacre

Vorus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Mithrandir86Mithrandir86 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I saw Deerhunter and Times New Viking tonight. My ears are still ringing.

Mithrandir86 on
    edited November 2008

I am just glad they are in the first post. I've seen them a couple times, once in Grand Rapids and once in Holland, and they are just killer. Did you happen to pick up their album, Burtletoy? I think it came out not too long ago, but I haven't managed to get it, yet.

No. But I did hang out with two of the guys in the band, that I'd never met before like three nights before I moved out of Grand Rapids. We were leaving from the Meanwhile (Great place if you live in GR, monday nights![They deserve it for such a small place/shill]) and hung out drinking with them till like 5am. I left before it had come out, so I didn't know it was available yet. But their stuff from MySpace is amazing. Plus, live and all.

Burtletoy on
  • GenericFanGenericFan Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Hey guys, recently I've had an obsession with the Flairs
    video 'Better than Prince'
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_-uKbBYwJk

But I can't find anything about the album it's from, I found a interview from last year saying it should have come out this June but nothing else. You guys wouldn't happen to know the name would you?

GenericFan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited November 2008
    Man I don't know any bands in the OP. I guess it's been too long since I've checked out new music.

I uh... I mean, if Panic! is discussable, then I guess Ben Folds is a reasonably alternative musician who isn't on TRL or whatever.

Did anyone like Way to Normal?

Organichu on
  • SyphilisaurusSyphilisaurus Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Burtletoy wrote: »

No. But I did hang out with two of the guys in the band, that I'd never met before like three nights before I moved out of Grand Rapids. We were leaving from the Meanwhile (Great place if you live in GR, monday nights![They deserve it for such a small place/shill]) and hung out drinking with them till like 5am. I left before it had come out, so I didn't know it was available yet. But their stuff from MySpace is amazing. Plus, live and all.

That's awesome. Last time I saw them, I ran into one of the guys working at Morningstar the night before. I thought he looked familiar, and then when I saw him at the show I was all, "Oooooh, that's why."

They're coming to Holland in a week or so. I'll probably see them again/buy their CD there and let you know what I think of it.

Syphilisaurus on
    adsigcopy4kn.png
    edited November 2008
    Organichu wrote: »
    Man I don't know any bands in the OP. I guess it's been too long since I've checked out new music.

I uh... I mean, if Panic! is discussable, then I guess Ben Folds is a reasonably alternative musician who isn't on TRL or whatever.

Did anyone like Way to Normal?

Well I didn't exactly try to pick bands I figured everyone had heard of, so I guess thanks. It was kinda what I was going for.

Burtletoy on
    edited November 2008
    So speaking of pretentious indie music, anyone listen to Neutral Milk Hotel? I don't know how to explain it really, kind of a blend of Sonic Youth and folk, if that makes any sense.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • mnollmnoll Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    So speaking of pretentious indie music, anyone listen to Neutral Milk Hotel? I don't know how to explain it really, kind of a blend of Sonic Youth and folk, if that makes any sense.

My roommate got me on Neutral Milk Hotel, that guy's a genius. His best song is Holland, 1945, I think.

Also that Flairs video had me dancin'

mnoll on
    edited November 2008
    mnoll wrote: »

My roommate got me on Neutral Milk Hotel, that guy's a genius. His best song is Holland, 1945, I think.

What's so weird is that he just up and left one day. Supposedly didn't tell anyone he was leaving and hasn't been seen by anyone that knows him since. That was 10 years ago.

His last show was in a retirement home, all by himself, and during the last song someone played trumpet through the wall. It sounds like the saddest show ever.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • mnollmnoll Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

What's so weird is that he just up and left one day. Supposedly didn't tell anyone he was leaving and hasn't been seen by anyone that knows him since. That was 10 years ago.

His last show was in a retirement home, all by himself, and during the last song someone played trumpet through the wall. It sounds like the saddest show ever.

I went over and checked the wikipedia article for the band, and it says he's been all reclusive but there have been sightings. Looks like he plays about 3-4 acoustic sets/year and even that makes him nervous.

I seriously am not sure if the musical genius thing is all that worth it considering what it does to people.

mnoll on
    edited November 2008

I went over and checked the wikipedia article for the band, and it says he's been all reclusive but there have been sightings. Looks like he plays about 3-4 acoustic sets/year and even that makes him nervous.

I seriously am not sure if the musical genius thing is all that worth it considering what it does to people.

Well hopefully he's happy wherever he is. It's better for a band to die young then to wear out their welcome, anyway.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • FoodFood Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Wow, I really like this Department of Eagles album. Oddly, I've never heard Grizzly Bear before. How does it compare to this?

Food on
  • deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I find it to be incredibly boring music. Also the guy is a mediocre to bad singer, and everything sounds so flat and emotionless.

Anyway, the new Mountain Goats/Kaki King compilation EP is really good. Try and find a copy somewhere, it was a limited pressing of like 2000, but it is totally worth tracking down.

deadonthestreet on
  • ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Yes to First Aid Kit in the OP!

That cover is soooo good.

Thetheroo on
    edited November 2008
    I find it to be incredibly boring music. Also the guy is a mediocre to bad singer, and everything sounds so flat and emotionless.

Anyway, the new Mountain Goats/Kaki King compilation EP is really good. Try and find a copy somewhere, it was a limited pressing of like 2000, but it is totally worth tracking down.

I don't think we've ever once seen eye-to-eye on anything :P

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
    edited November 2008
    I fully admit that I am missing something when it comes to Neutral Milk Hotel. Everyone tells me they are amazing. I think they are ok.

Also you don't like Kaki King?

deadonthestreet on
    edited November 2008
    I don't care for most indie music offerings. I didn't care for the Mountaingoats, but I haven't heard anything by Kaki King.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
    edited November 2008
    Oh, she's pretty much amazing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69qNYYhUom0

deadonthestreet on
  • Mullitt The WiseMullitt The Wise Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Not really music, but I saw Christmas on Mars (The Flaming Lips' movie) at the Hollywood premiere on Tuesday.
    It was a much better movie than I thought it would be, and the score and sound effects were absolutely amazing. Any fans should definitely check it out.

Mullitt The Wise on
    balloonssig.jpg