As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

BATTLE!

GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
edited April 2007 in Artist's Corner
Here's how this works.

You can choose whoever you like to battle against. If somebody is currently engaged in battle with another person then you may not also start a battle with them. You may, however, get in line or start a combination battle if the current battlers are ok with that.

You may not kill your opponent in the first move with a bullet to the head or other such dull maneuvers. Keep it creative people. Also, this is not a tournament but more of a fun thing to do. Pick somebody and go for it. Having a sqabble with somebody in the chat thread? Take it to the battle thread. Think somebody smells like rat infested rabbit? Let them know in the battle thread.

This is meant to be a fun scenario. We're taking it back to the way that it used to be. Hope that you guys enjoy this.

Grifter on

• freekfreek Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    If it's going down this way, I'm calling out to Animaxander to finish what he started.

freek on
  • PeterAndCompanyPeterAndCompany Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    A much more laid-back battle thread is definitely a better idea, I think. The last tournament was awesome at the beginning, and yes, it did manage to reach a final verdict... but even before the halfway point, most of the spectators had lost interest. As many have pointed out, over-organization tends to kill a project like this. Most people don't have the time to dedicate to a scheduled tournament that could potentially take several months to get through. At least this way people can jump in when they have the time to do so.

That being said, this method is totally more my speed right now. I might bring the new Lily in just to get in a few test comics.

PeterAndCompany on
  • GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    edited January 2007
    Also, if you're going to challenge somebody, make sure you do so with a starter image of some sort. No "I challenge so and so" lines unless you have some art to back it up.

Grifter on
  • CamCam Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    So if I decide to jump in on this at a later date and just post the character/description along with an "I challenge [insert name here]" image, that's okay, right?

Cam on
  • PiousPious Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    All that suspence for a premature ejaculation? Tisk Tisk. I'm going to take a phazer to the head now.

Pious on
    Untitled_1_4.jpg
  • StealthNachosStealthNachos Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    What's going on? Why is noone posting?

Can I get in on this even though I never got around to posting my character during the character posting time? Maybe if I post my character and then attack, like, as he pops into existence he starts kicking everyone's ass? Is that cool?

StealthNachos on
    I tend to ramble.
    edited January 2007
    Yes. Just battle.

Grifter on
  • The One Dark KnightThe One Dark Knight Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Alright Pious, you're in for it. I'm drawing the comic as we speak, should have it done sometime this weekend, if not tommorrow.

.... :twisted:

EDIT: Ho ho, took me an hour to pencil one page there. This is going to be good.

The One Dark Knight on
    [END]
  • PiousPious Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Alright Pious, you're in for it. I'm drawing the comic as we speak, should have it done sometime this weekend, if not tommorrow.

.... :twisted:

EDIT: Ho ho, took me an hour to pencil one page there. This is going to be good.

Aw fuck...Awsome! You kinda shocked me there. Alright I'll take you on missy!...Sin is a missy thing right?

Pious on
    Untitled_1_4.jpg
  • niklixniklix Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Damnit! I thought we were up first, TODK. I had an idea all set up. Ack! Now who am I gonna fight? Only people posting are people... who don't have characters. Wtf? Someone challenge me that's paying attention and has a character.

I'm sorry, but I was under the impression that everybody's info would be in the same place. So we know what is going on, and such.

niklix on
    gorga curueahelda'kshamin
  • Lewis RiceLewis Rice Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Ill fight you! I've got the perfect intro!

Lewis Rice on
    edited January 2007
    Done, but I have to intro first, since I'll be appearing in the middle of no where in this. I won't be acting first, I just wanna get a little poetic with my introduction, if you don't mind.

niklix on
  • Paul CarbonellaPaul Carbonella Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Lewis Rice wrote:

Aww man. Iwas thinking of fighting you. :(

Paul Carbonella on
    Shazam.
    edited January 2007
    Lewis Rice wrote:

Aww man. Iwas thinking of fighting you. :(

All in good time, my flowered friend.

niklix on
  • Benjamin.Benjamin. Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Someone challenge the cyborg necromancer, his undead minions need some exercise.

Benjamin. on
    15661_s.gif
    edited January 2007
    If they don't have characters and descriptions then just use their avatars or find a character in their art archive or something. Be creative.

Grifter on
  • Lewis RiceLewis Rice Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Paul: Don't worry, you'll be one of the many on my road to Sin :D

Lewis Rice on
  • CampionCampion Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Grifter challenged me in the question thread in the classic way of calling me out, and thus I give the classic Campion response: poorly drawn, and rushed.

griftah-1.jpg

Campion on
    4484-7718-8470
  • earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Woohoo! A seperate battle forum. Celestial ftw!

earthwormadam on
  • The One Dark KnightThe One Dark Knight Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    What where? :D

The One Dark Knight on
    [END]
  • Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited January 2007
    Campion wrote:
    Grifter challenged me in the question thread in the classic way of calling me out, and thus I give the classic Campion response: poorly drawn, and rushed.

griftah-1.jpg

Do...do I want to know why you're fighting in the mode of Greco-Roman wrestling?

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    earthwormadam on
    edited January 2007
    Campion wrote:

griftah-1.jpg

Do...do I want to know why you're fighting in the mode of Greco-Roman wrestling?

I felt it was appropriate. Also: clothes are for chumps.

Campion on
    4484-7718-8470
    edited January 2007
    EEP! I had no idea! :P

niklix on
    edited January 2007
    You mean....I have to draw something? Gosh, golly, darnit, Champion. You are a right scoundrel, sir. I will produce something shortly.

Grifter on
  • Less Than VirgLess Than Virg Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Hey you guys Mind if I get in on this???

Less Than Virg on
    warriorforPAcopy.jpg
    edited January 2007
    Knock yourself out.

Grifter on
    edited January 2007
    hey for the battle ground do I need to make a new account or can I log in using my PA account?

Less Than Virg on
    warriorforPAcopy.jpg
    edited January 2007
    Just so we're clear, I'm challenging JoeRodriguez.jpg
    I'm working on the comic right now. I should have it finished tomorrow, scanned and posted if there's somewhere to put it.

niklix on
    edited January 2007
    niklix wrote:
    I should have it finished tomorrow, scanned and posted if there's somewhere to put it.

In this thread.

Grifter on
    edited January 2007
    Cpl Dakk Youngblood

NDIGRUNT.jpg

Copyright Wallyhawk Animations 2007

Less Than Virg on
    warriorforPAcopy.jpg
    edited January 2007
    grifter81 wrote:
    You mean....I have to draw something? Gosh, golly, darnit, Champion. You are a right scoundrel, sir. I will produce something shortly.

Well, you don't need to, but if you want to. I'll hold off on the pants for a while or something.

Campion on
    4484-7718-8470
    edited January 2007
    Campion wrote:
    grifter81 wrote:

Well, you don't need to, but if you want to. I'll hold off on the pants for a while or something.

I'll get to it soon. Don't worry. I will produce a rebuttal.

Grifter on
  • multimoogmultimoog Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    ...kinda petered out, huh?

I guess there's something to be said for the structure of the official battle going on over at the other site.

multimoog on
  • CatnipCatCatnipCat Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Well, to be fair the people who really wanted to fight went to do it in the seperate forum. When you take away all the really interested participants it's hard to keep something going.

But I agree about the structure.

CatnipCat on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2007
    I think it has more to do with the mentality of the current users. This is the exact structure that was used for the initial battle threads on this forum and they were successful.

Grifter on
  • Spectre-xSpectre-x Rating: AWESOME YESRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Grifter wrote: »
    I think it has more to do with the mentality of the current users. This is the exact structure that was used for the initial battle threads on this forum and they were successful.

Yes, but those relied more on spontanaeity rather than a set structure.

And the format isn't at all compatible with any kind of tournament.

Spectre-x on
    edited February 2007
    Spectre-x wrote: »
    Grifter wrote: »

Yes, but those relied more on spontanaeity rather than a set structure.

And the format isn't at all compatible with any kind of tournament.

Very true and since I wasn't trying to create a tournament I guess that works.

Grifter on
  • Spectre-xSpectre-x Rating: AWESOME YESRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Not really because everybody wanted a tournament.

Spectre-x on
    edited February 2007
    And they have it.

Grifter on