As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[MiniPhalla] Mike Phalla's Punch Out!!! (Village Victory!)

• InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Sorry Dream Circuit, but the game favoured the village too heavily.

I think Goose learned not to mason everybody, because we exploited the hell out of that. Sorry WC for having to kill you, but you were confusing things and even had some lies in there while trying to dance around things so we ended up having to kill you to sort out things. (Specifically, there were two separate networks for each village circuit.)

Opening our proboards, because I had fun making em. :winky:

http://theminorthreat.proboards.com/

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    You are very skilled at making good-looking ProBoards, Infidel. =)

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
    edited November 2008
    A Thrall is a bad guy that seers as a good guy.

And here was my final day orders:
    Goose! wrote:
    Infidel wrote:
    I shall eat a sandvich.
    What was dat sandvich? Kill dem all?! OKAY!

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Yeah, definitely, Infidel. That was probably my biggest mistake. I was trying to balance it as best I could.

The thing is, I had originally set it up to be a sort of knock out thing. Kind of similar to the black ajah phalla. You all had your groups, but the object was to be the last group left. So every group had a seer, every group had a guard, every group had a vig. Then I changed it to village vs mafia but didn't compensate because I thought it would still balance out.

I apoologize if anyone felt annoyed or helpless in the game. I'll make the next one better :D

Goose! on
  • AltairAltair Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    You are very skilled at making good-looking ProBoards, Infidel. =)
    Agreed. It was pretty to look at.

Altair on
  • DoxaDoxa Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    . I hadn't realized your network was that strong. When you had me cornered I admitted to my baddieness because I thought you guys seered me or something and were just trying to grab another name. I asked for you to put more votes on me to see who would jump on the bandwagon and that led us to three choices. You, Toxic Toys, and altair. funky set in Toxic Toys.

I was planning on having a good epic reveal but I didn't want to do it until people were hopping on (I changed my mind from the 30 minute thing) but it was too late and I had to go. Oatway has the proboards, he'll open it.

Doxa on
  • Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Yeah, like I said on the board, I think the minor circuit was both my favorite and least favorite proboard.

Goose! on
    edited November 2008
    I assume you learned from the mason orgy thing, which is great, because other than that you had a really interesting and well put together game. The role PMs were very well done, everyone had powers but it wasn't anything too crazy.

The mafia just won't be able to overcome our networking ability.

And thanks to everyone who targeted me day 1. :lol: I am amazed I survived, I got hit with like everything except the vigs. I only had one day where I got to use my guard power.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • M.D.M.D. and then what happens? Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I was a horrible coach.

M.D. on
    edited November 2008
    Well, I think my overmasoning was me exorcising my frustration with never being networked in a game. But I can see now why that is or should be :P

Goose! on
    edited November 2008
    Doxa wrote: »
    . I hadn't realized your network was that strong. When you had me cornered I admitted to my baddieness because I thought you guys seered me or something and were just trying to grab another name. I asked for you to put more votes on me to see who would jump on the bandwagon and that led us to three choices. You, Toxic Toys, and altair. funky set in Toxic Toys.

I was planning on having a good epic reveal but I didn't want to do it until people were hopping on (I changed my mind from the 30 minute thing) but it was too late and I had to go. Oatway has the proboards, he'll open it.

Aye, by the time we came to you it was a choice between about 4 people, and I had been suspecting you pretty heavily... though I don't consciously know why. Something in my gut told me you were a bad guy. And with so many people on our side, I figured I couldn't go wrong if I grilled you on it. =)

Sorry if I was a bit aggressive there, I did (as you predicted) want to see if I could pull another name out of you. =) And I figured your epic reveal was going to be some kind of ruse or trick, so I was suspicious of your desire to have a reveal. =)

VThornheart on
  • Dac VinDac Vin S-s-screw you! I only listen to DOUBLE MUSIC! Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Any reason why my KO on JPants almost went through on day 2? I had him, but suddently his part was gone from the narration.

Dac Vin on
    edited November 2008
    ITT, VT learns that you need to reread correspondence with someone to make sure what they have said/not said. :lol:

Using network knowledge as your own is a common mistake and often a fatal one.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
    edited November 2008
    Also, Goose, I think it was an interesting experiment with the mason groups! Granted, the experiment turned out to be overpowered for the village, but it was interesting to try. What would have balanced it, I think, would be if it was the same kind of format (every good guy masoned into several splintered mason groups), but the bad guys got 3 kills per day no matter what (no matter how many of them died).

The only grief we really had once we gained 10 people on our side was the thought that the Mafia might have 3 kills per day... if they did, they would've had a high chance of killing our Vig and half vig, which would've tipped the balance back in the Mafia's favor. Our primary goal at that point was to hide our Vig people or protect them at all costs... which was why I told Witch Doctor to not come forward and vote against you immediately Doxa. I had a feeling that the first couple of people who joined me in the vote would be targets for the Mafia. =)

And Infidel, that's very true. =) I had gotten what WeatheredClown said to Infidel and what he said to me mixed up in my head, and it almost exposed Infidel. =( I'm kind of surprised no one hit him after I made that gaffe and WeatheredClown pointed it out.

EDIT: I also learned that if I'm going to PM Goose!, I need to remember to add the exclamation mark at the end. =)

VThornheart on
  • DoxaDoxa Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I thought it was pretty pointless after losing Oatway who was our second kill. I was trying to think of a way to use the epic reveal as an advantage but I couldn't really think of anything constructive. In the end I just wanted to post that picture.

Constructive criticism on posting restrictions:

The accent was fun in a way, it just made every post a little more time consuming and getting more involved with the village vote more difficult. The same with the Gehenna phalla, I had to sing every post to use my ability and after warban showed off his singing it was pretty obvious once the wrong person noticed me sing I was dead. Though in this case it wasn't too terribly binding. It did show a revelation of my character as a russian which would narrow anyone's suspicion of me down to Soda Popenski or Vodka Drunkenski although I don't think it was clear which circuit each belonged to. I was a little bit of a poor sport with my accent but in the end I think I could have had more fun with it if I tried and was able to put more time into it.

Masoning - yeah, the village played it extremely well. It took away some of the chaos and uncertainty that gives the mafia an edge.

Doxa on
    edited November 2008
    Actually, it's interesting... none of the networking I think would've happened without Kime's reveal I think.

Now that I'm thinking back on it, if he hadn't said specifically what he did (that he was masoned with the Major Circuit), we likely wouldn't have realized (or maybe would've too late) that there were other mason groups like us in similar situations... which started the ball rolling.

EDIT: Aye Doxa, I had actually forgotten that CrimsonCoyote told me he was Soda Popinski, so I came to you unsure of which Russian you were... but it was obvious that it was one of the two. (For a time I thought the people speaking Russian were speaking German, but CC pointed out that it was Russian in a PM and my searching for German characters only came up with Von Kaiser, which was Infidel).

VThornheart on
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Actually, it's interesting... none of the networking I think would've happened without Kime's reveal I think.

Now that I'm thinking back on it, if he hadn't said specifically what he did (that he was masoned with the Major Circuit), we likely wouldn't have realized (or maybe would've too late) that there were other mason groups like us in similar situations... which started the ball rolling.

Haha yey for me! I like being useful! :P

kime on
    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
    edited November 2008
    You were, most likely, the reason that we got masoned before it was too late. If we hadn't masoned together for even one day more than we did, the Mafia (or one of our errant abilities) might've killed one of our Vig's, and then we would've been outnumbered in kills per day and might've lost.

I would definitely vote your reveal as being the true turning point for the village. It took us a couple of days to really consolidate after your reveal, but that consolidation might not have even happened otherwise.

EDIT: Also, I loved the mass confusion of the tremendous amount of passwords flying around. Everyone I messaged seemed to have like 2 passwords each, and frequently they weren't the ones I was looking for... which caused all sorts of confusion when I had to tell them "No, not that password, I need another one". =) I found that entertaining. =)

I think we should post a master list of all the passwords that were flying around. We have one for our unified network over on the ProBoard... but I'm wondering what all those other passwords were from. I know some were from Kime, but some had to be from other mason groups trying to team up as well... what's your stories?

I really want to hear about the story of the group that we didn't contact, "Minor Circuit B" (to us). Did you guys try to find any other groups? What happened over there? Who was on your team?

VThornheart on
    edited November 2008
    Who did you consider minor circuit b? me and toxic?

M.D. on
    edited November 2008
    Nay, I considered Minor Circuit B to be:

Romantic Undead
    JPants
    Rainfall

By the way, Mr. Defecation (that's not always been your name, has it? Did you get it changed by CardboardTube while I was away? Your avatar looks REALLY familiar...), I thought you did good with the Trainer role. The quotes from him were great =)

VThornheart on
    edited November 2008
    Toxic was a mystery to me. I never did figure out what he was until he died. We were just going to bowl him over in case he was a bad guy.

VThornheart on
    edited November 2008
    At first we assumed (once we learned about the circuits) that there was three mason groups, Minor Major World, and the Dream circuit for the mafia. Then random boxers, and the neutrals like Little Mac and such.

That's why we had trouble at first, we didn't realize that Goose had actually made two networks for each circuit because we didn't think he would put everyone in a network. But in fact he did. So we had "B circuits" for those that were the second to reach us or not in contact.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
    edited November 2008
    oh alright.

Edit did the good guy circuits kill me?

M.D. on
    edited November 2008
    No, we realized who you were from your posts and we left you alone, iirc.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
    edited November 2008
    I'm surprised my posts didn't get me killed sooner.

M.D. on
    edited November 2008
    We figured you might've been a special (independent) good guy... or at least that was my guess on it, I don't exactly know how everyone else felt about you. But I figured Doc wouldn't be a bad guy. =)

VThornheart on
  • Dac VinDac Vin S-s-screw you! I only listen to DOUBLE MUSIC! Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    oh alright.

Edit did the good guy circuits kill me?

We bad guys didn't kill you.

Dac Vin on
    edited November 2008
    You either died to a redirect (some abilities made shots "go wild") or a blind vig, then.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
    edited November 2008
    Aye, because none of us ever intentionally targeted you. But we did have some wierd abilities that made people target their abilities onto others and stuff.

EDIT: (Consolidating posts, sorry for the accidental multi-post =) )Who had the "Rushed" ability? Whoever that was (intentionally or unintentionally, due to an ability redirect) killed you Mr. Defecation.

Also, Mr. Defecation, were you Ardor? I think I finally rolled high enough on my "avatar to screenname knowledge" check. =)

VThornheart on
    edited November 2008
    Same style, wrong character.

Mr Defecation used to be Mr Embarkation and failed on the coin toss.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
    edited November 2008
    Ohhh. I don't remember Mr. Embarkation... hmm... good to meet you!

Where is Ardor then?

VThornheart on
    edited November 2008
    Waiting.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
    edited November 2008
    Waiting? For what?

Winter Solstice? =)

VThornheart on
    edited November 2008
    Nice meeting you. Ardor is a strange one who vanishes from time to time.

M.D. on
    edited November 2008
    I think after hanging out with us phalla folk at PAX he needed a break. :lol:

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
    edited November 2008
    Ah, that appears to be true =) I remember he was very active when I first came in here, and now I spent a couple of weeks moving and come back and he's nowhere to be found =) Your avatar looked a lot like his, so I figured he was you... er, you were him, something like that. =)

VThornheart on
  • KrataLightbladeKrataLightblade Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Hello game.

I found it hilarious that on the first day, every bandwagon target was me, my masoned buddies, or the next league down.

I was being asked by PM why I didn't do my own personal epic reveal.

Well, simple. Nuimber one, I was masoned with Micro and OS, Micro was a bloody seer. So I didn't want to give him up.

Second, we'd already outed one mason from each of the other two masoned groups. I felt it might be just a LITTLE too much for me to reveal and risk the possibility of somebody putting 1 and 3 together and getting 8.

Plus my only power was a nullify... not too useful unless we know where the dream Circuit attacks are coming from.

I sacrificed myself to connect Micro and OS to Vthorn.

I think it was good 'nuff.

Besides, oh christ that posting restriction was gonna kill me.

I don't think I could've topped my day 1 without speaking entirely in another language and cursing in THAT language instead of English.

EDIT: Loved the posting restriction, though.

Was fun.

KrataLightblade on
    LEVEL 50 SWORD JUGGLER/WIZARD!
  • MonkeyfeetMonkeyfeet Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Good game.

Grats village. You bastards

Monkeyfeet on
    sig1.jpg
    edited November 2008
    Krata, I think it was wise of you personally to not reveal. Your sacrifice definitely helped to bring us all together. The moves you and Kime made really made it all happen. You had said just enough that we were able to get in touch with you and bring your fellow masoners into the fold, and your death gave the initial proof that the mason theories were true (to back up the claims that Kime made, which opened our eyes to the possibility that there were multiple mason groups). It was good!

Thanks Monkeyfeet! Hopefully no hard feelings. =) I should've kept my vote on you that first night though! ;)

VThornheart on
  • MonkeyfeetMonkeyfeet Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Hmm. As much fun as kicking Monkeyfeet would be, FWD is striking me as a fairly good target. FWD is much more helpful, typically.

On the other hand, I'd hate to kill him and find out he was good. I like FWD.

Thoughts?

I got that PM from Sheep Have Wool. I think it was meant for only El Skid but for some reason he put my name in the recipients too.

Monkeyfeet on
    sig1.jpg