As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Old thread. Nothing to see here.

1565758596062»

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Can I get a brief summary on how Karma works? Is it basically the way you'll appear when interacting with people (low karma:appears shady, high karma: appears trustworthy)?

Also, I finished the "Those!" quest last night, and I just wanted your input on how I handled it.
    First of all, this mission was a real fucking bitch to do. Don't attempt until you've got plenty of landmines and grenades, because regular ammo does little damage to these fuckers. I lucked out knocking the antenna off one of the guardians, and he picked a fight with two other guardians.

Anyway, I took out the guardians and got the ant strength boost from the doctor. I was mainly siding with the boy whose father he killed, and basically considered the doc shady even though his plan to reduce the ants' size made sense.

So I followed him once I got the ant boost and saw him typing away in the same room as the Queen. Not sure why the Queen wasn't attacking him, but that convinced me he was overall twisted and evil.

So I shot his head off from a distance (but still lost karma despite the fact he's pretty much a douche) and proceeded to finish off the queen. I then accessed the doc's terminal which unlocked some sort of shaft, but I haven't found that yet.

Just wondering if there was a better approach to this that might yield better rewards, or if I'm doing the right kind of thinking for this game.

Also regarding the sniper in Minefield.
    His targeted name was Arkansas. Was there anything significant about that, as in I could have talked to him or gotten a quest relating to him? I killed him and took his sniper rifle, so...

Also, Minefield is my favorite area so far. It's pretty spooky to enter the houses and sleep in the same bed with the skeletal remains of a family.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I just fucking snapped in this game. I was going for nearly exclusively Good Karma, but I just ended up having enough of the bullshit! I was explaining to a character that if she wanted me to do her favor, I needed some money to supply. This was the first time I mentioned payment, as the situation was in fact dire. She just snapped at me like this was a totally inappropriate thing to do. My mind went back to all the characters before who took advantage of my "white knight" status. Bastards wanting bottle caps for information. Tools constantly wanting me to do free work for them.

I pulled out my gun and went into vats and just stared at her angry face for 5 minutes, trying to decide if I'd do it. I know I could have saved and just reloaded afterwards, but I was trying to kind of play a "deal with the consequences" run, to kind of strengthen the simulation value.

Then I did it. Point-blank headshot with a sawed-off shotgun. Killed as many Megaton citizens as possible. Then I died and would reload. And I'd do it again. And again. And again. This repeated about 10 times until I finally ended up doing a bunch of shooting and then hiding until everyone gave up. The conclusion is depressing and hilarious in two parts.

1) In this last attempt, the person who I was so pissed at in the first place ended up surviving with minimal health. I had gotten distracted by the more aggressive saloon patrons and had forgotten all about her. I decided to just leave it. I wasn't about to start another firefight.

2) I had been such a shining bastion of morality up to this point that my karma has not gone below "neutral."

I'm taking a break. I don't know what I want to do now.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    Bullfrogof7272Bullfrogof7272 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    like the problems of how bad the graphics were and that the combat was turn based, did they fix those? also did they add more humour and more interesting locations because the first two games were all deserts and ruined cities and it was BORING

ah sarcasm, how refreshing.

Bullfrogof7272 on
    the hammer, is my penis.
  • Options
    GlaealGlaeal Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    like the problems of how bad the graphics were and that the combat was turn based, did they fix those? also did they add more humour and more interesting locations because the first two games were all deserts and ruined cities and it was BORING

You can get a dog.

Glaeal on
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I'll try messing with the graphical settings but I don't understand why this is happening. It runs fine at first, so it's not because my computer isn't powerful enough.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited October 2008

ah sarcasm, how refreshing.

...what?

Tube on
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Tenpenny Tower question:
    So, I was going to go meet with the ghouls to try to talk it out. I was told they were holed up in a nearby metro station. I saw an entrance to the metro inside Tenpenny Tower, went down, hacked the door open. I got bad karma, and thought "uh oh, what did I just do?"

I walked around outside looking for Roy, who said he'd meet me out front. In the process I found the actual metro stop, went through it, and followed it all the way back to Tenpenny Tower after meeting only 2 ghouls.

Inside, feral ghouls were ravaging everyone. The place was destroyed. "Oh well," I thought. Now the ghouls will live here.

I headed upstairs for some shuteye in my suite, only to be attacked by a bunch of ferals and the 2 ghouls I met in the metro. I cleansed the tower of ghouls after that, including Roy, but now I can't access my suite because it's "not safe."

So am I locked out forever, or what's the deal here?

skippydumptruck on
  • Options
    Bullfrogof7272Bullfrogof7272 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    oh you were serious? well then yes all those problems are fixed, but honestly Fallout 3 is an excellent game and is certainly a fallout game. But Fallout on and 2 are not particularly relevant to it aside from tone and setting. There is a great deal of humour, robot butler is awesome and some of your dialogue options are fantastic. Clearly the graphics are a few steps forward from the originals, it has been what like 10 years or more?

Bullfrogof7272 on
    the hammer, is my penis.
  • Options
    LehmanLehman Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Can anyone tell me where a clinic is or a person I can cure addictions at besides Megaton? :(

Lehman on
    Xbox Live: LehmanCM
    SteamID: steamcommunity.com/id/lehmancm/
    BnS: Draggan (Server:Poharan)
  • Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Nope, it sucks ass, just like 1 and 2. Move on.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2008

Nope, it sucks ass, just like 1 and 2. Move on.

:(

Tube on
  • Options
    SirsonSirson Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Yes

Sirson on
  • Options
    Nitsuj82Nitsuj82 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Just to set the record straight...this is NOT a shooter. This is an RPG a la Oblivion. If you want to play a shooter, pick up FarCry 2. Srsly.

Nitsuj82 on
    Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
    Nitsuj82.png
  • Options
    SirsonSirson Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Jimpy wrote: »
    tehmarken wrote: »
    I beat the game.
    I beat the game? Really? I felt like I was at a halfway point, and all of a sudden it ends. I have massive radiation protection and I'm in the purifier, I turn it on, and then I just fall down and it goes to an epilogue that didn't even make sense. Talking about the lone wanderer, my heart succumbed to corruption, doing evil things. It showed a bunch of areas I'd never been to, and a few with dead people I never killed. And then it showed the Jefferson memorial blowing up, as if I destroyed it instead of making it work. The main storyline ended so abruptly I'm still in shock. I didn't even hit level 15. I didn't see half the stuff alluded to from reading this thread. I'm not sure if I'm going to load up from an earlier save and explore or if

I'm to go play it again with a new character.

End of game spoilers.
    Yeah... I know... what the hell. This game is excellent, but once again Bethesda fails at making a decent storyline. I have only played the game two days... I have done a lot of other quests and a lot of exploring and I completed it on my second day... I mean what the fuck Bethesda. AND THEN... they END the game so you can't go back. What the hell that mean's that anybody who plays this game pretty much can not complete the storyline if they want to play. In addition to that how do they expect to release any expansion packs when you can't complete the main quest.

The main quest was just so... idiotic and insignificant as well. Now that I look back I feel like I was doing a side quest that a NPC should be doing. I have to what? Purify water... oh wow. People are surviving as it is so basically I am just adding a convenience for them. Not to mention that you HAVE to die. THERE IS A GIANT RADIATION PROOF GUY BEHIND ME AND THERE ARE ROBOTS EVERYWHERE... So unless you take the pansy way out you die, and even then it doesn't matter.

Overall you really don't learn anything about the Fallout universe through this game. You learn a few insignificant peoples names and you learn that the president is a machine. Right... They couldn't have come up with something a little bit better. At no point in the storyline did I even feel intrigued at the events taking place, or like I ever learned anything important. Like I said I felt like a NPC doing some insignificant sidequest you only hear rumors about and even then no one gives a shit. They also could have played up your dad dying as well but the way they do it you see it a mile away.

Anyways I am going back to the sidequests and exploring and I don't think I will ever touch the mainquest again.

P.S. If Bethesda reads this, please fire your mainquest guys from Oblivion and Fallout 3.

BTW some advice for the people who haven't finished the story, the game has a cutoff like KOTOR so make a lot of saves.

I've got to disagree with you here. I loved the last parts of the story, walking giant robot, spouting about taking back alaska from the communists...Dude it was the most awesome thing I have seen in a video game. I couldn't stop playing the main storyline. It was just the right length imo. Sure you can rush it, but theres over a 100 locations and areas to visit and explore and a buttload of quests, can't really complain about the length of the game. These type games are all about exploring, and doing the side quests, meeting and dealing with the locals.

Sirson on
  • Options
    Styl3zStyl3z Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Charon = awesome.
    You can buy his contract from the bar owner of The Ninth Circle in Underworld. Once you do this, he walks over to the guy and drops 3 Combat Shotgun blasts into him. I've got him decked out in some leftover Power Armor and a Helmet as well. Wonder if that makes a difference in his effectiveness? If not, I might find some Sexy Sleepwear instead.

Styl3z on
  • Options
    ZenitramZenitram Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Lehman wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me where a clinic is or a person I can cure addictions at besides Megaton? :(

I know of one so far:
    Tenpenny Towers, about due west of Megaton, look for the tall building

Zenitram on
  • Options
    Oddjob187Oddjob187 Pew TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    So I think this has been asked before but where can i store shit pre megaton/ten penny decision? I need to get rid of some weapons I dont use but dont want to sell. Rocket Launcher, mini gun, etc etc. They eat alot of weight that I could use for loots.

Oddjob187 on
  • Options
    FirmSkaterFirmSkater Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    There's a clinic in Rivet City as well.

FirmSkater on
    sig2.jpg
  • Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Those!
    The quest isn't done yet. You still need to find Billy a home. There are several parties who would be interested in a young, healthy, little boy.

Arkansas
    The same people who might be interested in Billy, are interested in Arkansas, as well as three other individuals. Having gone the slaver route - lets just cut to the chase - you would have received the Mesmetron, one of the side effects of which is to make the person hand over all their wordly goods - including the sniper rifle.
    Can anyone tell me where a clinic is or a person I can cure addictions at besides Megaton?

Holy god did youall go THAT route?

Anywho, Tenpenny Tower, Bigtown (well after you handle some business), Paradise Falls, and I'm guessing Rivet City as well. Thats not exhaustive of course, but most joints have a clinic.

ED! on
    "Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    FirmSkaterFirmSkater Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    My X Box froze again =/

FirmSkater on
    sig2.jpg
  • Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    freakish light on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    you're not the boss of me

Tube on
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    So I'm about a third of a bar away from hitting level 13, and despite stealing here and there I'm 'Very Good', under which it says 'Paladin'. Having amassed all this goodness, I felt it was high time to visit the rat-bastards who tried to get me to blow up Megaton, and with my faithful pooch at my side, I head off towards Tenpenny Tower, prepared to knock some evildoer's heads.
    So I show up there and pay the doorman 100 caps to let me in. I speak to a few of the residents - how these people survived the wasteland long enough to get to Tenpenny Tower is beyond me - and decide that yes, my earlier judgement was right. The world would be better off without these "people". Dogmeat's very helpful with sniffing out stragglers as I stalk from room to room, executing the residents.

And having done this great service to the DC area, my Karma drops to 'evil'! Now Three Dog is calling me the boogeyman on his show. So much for playing a good character - I'm loading an earlier save >.<

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    JohannenJohannen Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I beat the game.
    I beat the game? Really? I felt like I was at a halfway point, and all of a sudden it ends. I have massive radiation protection and I'm in the purifier, I turn it on, and then I just fall down and it goes to an epilogue that didn't even make sense. Talking about the lone wanderer, my heart succumbed to corruption, doing evil things. It showed a bunch of areas I'd never been to, and a few with dead people I never killed. And then it showed the Jefferson memorial blowing up, as if I destroyed it instead of making it work. The main storyline ended so abruptly I'm still in shock. I didn't even hit level 15. I didn't see half the stuff alluded to from reading this thread. I'm not sure if I'm going to load up from an earlier save and explore or if

End of game spoilers.
    Yeah... I know... what the hell. This game is excellent, but once again Bethesda fails at making a decent storyline. I have only played the game two days... I have done a lot of other quests and a lot of exploring and I completed it on my second day... I mean what the fuck Bethesda. AND THEN... they END the game so you can't go back. What the hell that mean's that anybody who plays this game pretty much can not complete the storyline if they want to play. In addition to that how do they expect to release any expansion packs when you can't complete the main quest.

The main quest was just so... idiotic and insignificant as well. Now that I look back I feel like I was doing a side quest that a NPC should be doing. I have to what? Purify water... oh wow. People are surviving as it is so basically I am just adding a convenience for them. Not to mention that you HAVE to die. THERE IS A GIANT RADIATION PROOF GUY BEHIND ME AND THERE ARE ROBOTS EVERYWHERE... So unless you take the pansy way out you die, and even then it doesn't matter.

Overall you really don't learn anything about the Fallout universe through this game. You learn a few insignificant peoples names and you learn that the president is a machine. Right... They couldn't have come up with something a little bit better. At no point in the storyline did I even feel intrigued at the events taking place, or like I ever learned anything important. Like I said I felt like a NPC doing some insignificant sidequest you only hear rumors about and even then no one gives a shit. They also could have played up your dad dying as well but the way they do it you see it a mile away.

Anyways I am going back to the sidequests and exploring and I don't think I will ever touch the mainquest again.

P.S. If Bethesda reads this, please fire your mainquest guys from Oblivion and Fallout 3.

BTW some advice for the people who haven't finished the story, the game has a cutoff like KOTOR so make a lot of saves.
    What do you mean a cutoff?

Does it just end after a certain amount of time or something?

Johannen on
  • Options
    JohnDoeJohnDoe Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Some hints for people starting out (no spoilers)

-Keep all scrap metal, pre-war books, sugar bombs (cereal) - There are quests for these that give a good amount of cash
    -Tagged skills don't mean the same thing as in FO1/2 - They're just a one time +15 bonus to that particular skill
    -Definately take the perk that gives you 3 extra skillups per level - By the end of the game its like 3 extra tagged skills

JohnDoe on
  • Options
    Minerva_SCMinerva_SC Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    So, does blowing up Megaton alter the game in any significant way other than me losing out on alot of quests and such? Do you even actually blow the place up?

Minerva_SC on
    "If a cherry pie filled cape is wrong, I don't want to be right.
    I'm dead serious."
  • Options
    Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    HEY! GUESS WHAT? WE HAVE A NEW THREAD!

CAPS LOCK IS STUCK.

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    Inter_dInter_d Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Sirson wrote: »
    I beat the game.

End of game spoilers.

I've got to disagree with you here. I loved the last parts of the story, walking giant robot, spouting about taking back alaska from the communists...Dude it was the most awesome thing I have seen in a video game. I couldn't stop playing the main storyline. It was just the right length imo. Sure you can rush it, but theres over a 100 locations and areas to visit and explore and a buttload of quests, can't really complain about the length of the game. These type games are all about exploring, and doing the side quests, meeting and dealing with the locals.

I'll agree with you up to a point, I loved that freaking giant robot to death, if i could have that big fucker follow me as opposed to that backstabbing, do-nothing super mutant i would. I also agree that just having a bunch of random shit to discover is also cool. The ending, however, blew more than a hurricane. Your noble sacrifice is kinda pointless when there's a giant radiation proof mutant following you INTO THE FUCKING CHAMBER who flat out refuses to prevent any more loss of life. Also i played this game non stop for 2 days and beat it so...yes, it's quite a lengthy game for normal people and shit, i didn't even do all of the sidequests.

Inter_d on
  • Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Nitsuj82 wrote: »
    Just to set the record straight...this is NOT a shooter. This is an RPG a la Oblivion.
    Also known as a shooter with melee combat included.

Mayday on
  • Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Fallout 3: i hear pretty much an old thread that needs to be locked with guns.

Deaderinred on