As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Final Fantasy Tactics PSP: It's Out!

• Options
    ArdorArdor Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Up to you really. The only downside is that when you fight monsters in some story battles or random fights, they are around the level of your highest level character. This can be an issue if you are using outdated equipment for that level.

That's all I can think of.

Ardor on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I discovered source of the Milleuda mystery.
    It's from a co-op Rendezvous mission, "Ghosts of the Past".

The multiplayer in this game is amazing. Me and a friend wasted hours on co-op chocobo slaughtering.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Is the multiplayer local only?

urahonky on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Far as I know. Some of the missions are crazy.

One involves 'responding to an invite for a formal dance', and...
    the resulting battle involves four dancers, four bards, and two monks.

Rendezvous missions are basically FFT's expert quests.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    StraythStrayth Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Yeah they're not always so easy, my friend and I played a couple. At the very least make sure you're similar in level; he got completely wasted 15 levels beneath me and my time was a little on the easy side. Problem of course is throwing phoenix downs every turn just to keep up with his deaths.

Oh and thrown weapons don't stay in inventory- he had me throw him a katana and I think a staff and neither showed up after. (Just so you don't go using "catch arrow" and waste time)

Strayth on
    That's right.
  • Options
    gunwarriorgunwarrior Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Strayth wrote: »
    Yeah they're not always so easy, my friend and I played a couple. At the very least make sure you're similar in level; he got completely wasted 15 levels beneath me and my time was a little on the easy side. Problem of course is throwing phoenix downs every turn just to keep up with his deaths.

Oh and thrown weapons don't stay in inventory- he had me throw him a katana and I think a staff and neither showed up after. (Just so you don't go using "catch arrow" and waste time)

Yea, but I had a pretty fun time getting my hasted lvl 44 cloud to cast finishing touch and Insta-Ko lvl 70 chocobos with Finishing touch. (Finishing touch is awsome. 20 speed, 100% chance to hit and it either KOs, stops, or stones!)

...Catch arrow? Wasn't that a skill in FFTA? You mean catch, right?

Also, what's happening with FFT-A2? I haven't heard that much about it lately besides that its going to be released in english.

gunwarrior on
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    gunwarrior wrote: »
    Strayth wrote: »

Yea, but I had a pretty fun time getting my hasted lvl 44 cloud to cast finishing touch and Insta-Ko lvl 70 chocobos with Finishing touch. (Finishing touch is awsome. 20 speed, 100% chance to hit and it either KOs, stops, or stones!)

...Catch arrow? Wasn't that a skill in FFTA? You mean catch, right?

Also, what's happening with FFT-A2? I haven't heard that much about it lately besides that its going to be released in english.

FFTA2 comes out in June.

I've been playing the Japanese version a lot lately, and I'm tempted to say that it's the best game out on the DS.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Guys... fucking Beowulf...

He has a goddamn fucking European beard on his fucking marching 3d sprite, but then emo fucking Leonardo DiCaprio is in the status photo. I don't get it.

I love the animation in the cutscenes... but goddamn, the B to the E to the O'Wulf doesn't have a fucking beard?

Nocturne on
  • Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Nocturne wrote: »

He has a goddamn fucking European beard on his fucking marching 3d sprite, but then emo fucking Leonardo DiCaprio is in the status photo. I don't get it.

I love the animation in the cutscenes... but goddamn, the B to the E to the O'Wulf doesn't have a fucking beard?

This is quite a thread resurrection, especially for the purpose of hating on Beowulf's illustration. :P

templewulf on
    Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    KupotheAvengerKupotheAvenger Destroyer of Cake and other deserts.Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    templewulf wrote: »

This is quite a thread resurrection, especially for the purpose of hating on Beowulf's illustration. :P

Well in defense of that hatred, Beowulf is next to useless in the field as well. At least make him worth looking at.

KupotheAvenger on
    fc: 1821-9801-1163
    Battlenet: Judgement#1243
    psn: KupoZero

• Options
    Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008

Well in defense of that hatred, Beowulf is next to useless in the field as well. At least make him worth looking at.

Incorrect. Beowulf is the shit.

Folken Fanel on
    Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
  • Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    edited October 2008

If you permanently raise his faith and add magic equipment, he becomes the most powerful character in the game. Drain works marvelously well, and break! will kill nearly anything in one move. You have to do a little work to get his faith up, but at least you're not leveling him up from lvl1 like Cloud.

templewulf on
    Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    KupotheAvengerKupotheAvenger Destroyer of Cake and other deserts.Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

If you permanently raise his faith and add magic equipment, he becomes the most powerful character in the game. Drain works marvelously well, and break! will kill nearly anything in one move. You have to do a little work to get his faith up, but at least you're not leveling him up from lvl1 like Cloud.

Hm, maybe I just never stat buffed him, but my stock ninja-dual-wielding-squire gods never made him worth fielding.

...then again the only character i truly respected was TG Cid, so that should at least explain some of my criticism.

KupotheAvenger on
    fc: 1821-9801-1163
    Battlenet: Judgement#1243
    psn: KupoZero

• Options
    gilraingilrain Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I just started playing this on my new PSP. I am really glad to finally be able to play this much-lauded classic.

Anyways, slight hitch, here... I absolutely cannot beat this second or third storyline battle. It's the one in the city slums against the commander of the Corpse Brigade, or whatever. I get slaughtered every time. This one archer hits like an h-bomb and the black mages are roasting my mans like it's a backyard bbq.

I think it's because I haven't been able to find any way to level up. I can wander around what little of the world map is available at this point, and can't find a way to trigger any battles aside from the storyline battle I can't win. I must be missing something? :(

Also, this being just the very beginning of the game, I haven't changed the default jobs of anyone, yet. I've tried taking two squires and two chemists, and three squires and one chemist. And there are the two squire guests, of course, Argath and Delita. Everyone has the best weapons and armor available at the outfitters.

gilrain on
  • Options
    MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    You can just run back and forth over the first green map marker, Mandalia Plains I believe. Eventually you'll get an encounter, usually a mix of chocobos and goblins, with the occasional panther thrown in. Movement bonuses help a LOT for that particular battle.

Mechanical on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Mechanical wrote: »
    You can just run back and forth over the first green map marker, Mandalia Plains I believe. Eventually you'll get an encounter, usually a mix of chocobos and goblins, with the occasional panther thrown in. Movement bonuses help a LOT for that particular battle.
    Ah, thanks.

gilrain on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Also, turn your squires into knights as soon as they learn JP UP.

Folken Fanel on
    Characters I hate:

• Options
    DVGDVG No. 1 Honor Student Nether Institute, Evil AcademyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    One last thing: The monster levels in random encounters key off of Ramza's level, so don't get him too far ahead of the rest of your dudes, or you'll be in a bad way.

Accumulate is your friend when your trying to master classes. Stunlock the last guy somehow and then have all your dudes spam Accumulate with Gained JP Up and you'll aquire massive amounts of JP.

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    DVG wrote: »
    One last thing: The monster levels in random encounters key off of Ramza's level, so don't get him too far ahead of the rest of your dudes, or you'll be in a bad way.

Accumulate is your friend when your trying to master classes. Stunlock the last guy somehow and then have all your dudes spam Accumulate with Gained JP Up and you'll aquire massive amounts of JP.

Really? They seem to go with the highest level as a general rule for me, my main character's lagging back 6 levels and they tend to be scaled to the highest level unit I have.

Mechanical on
  • Options
    InterpreterInterpreter Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    You can just run back and forth over the first green map marker, Mandalia Plains I believe. Eventually you'll get an encounter,

In order to trigger a random encounter, step on the location while it's glowing. To avoid a random encounter, step on the location while it's not glowing.

Interpreter on
  • Options
    FrosteeyFrosteey Elaise 1521-2945-8940Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Squires are at least moderately useful with their damage output and skillset. Chemists are the ones that should be heading straight to magery as soon as possible/as soon as you've gotten potion and phoenix down/as soon as you've gotten auto-potion.

Frosteey on
  • Options
    DVGDVG No. 1 Honor Student Nether Institute, Evil AcademyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008

Really? They seem to go with the highest level as a general rule for me, my main character's lagging back 6 levels and they tend to be scaled to the highest level unit I have.

That might be the case, I guess Ramza just tends to be the highest in my playthroughs.

In any case, they do key off the highest level character, so you want to keep your dudes within a few levels of each other.

I just know I fucked myself by doing the self-yell trick too many times in one playthrough and suddenly the rest of my dudes got savagely raped every time there was a random encounter.

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    What should I focus on learning, as knights? Also, should Ramza also switch to knight, even though (apparently) his squire class is different and desirable?

Edit: by the way, after leveling up a bit and switching everyone to knights/mages, I wiped the floor with that fight I was having trouble with. :P

gilrain on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Knights have an overall terrible skill set.

The only rend skills even moderately worth using are weapon and speed. Maybe power.

I usually just pick up weapon break, then go for the secondary stuff like Equip Shield and Equip Sword.

Equip armor can be a bit nice, but I generally prefer the better magic and stat boosts other armor starts giving later on. Parry's use depends entirely on what item selection's available to you and your job.

The draw of knights is definitely more in their high HP and damage than the skills.

---

Ramza's squire class doesn't become awesome until later in the game (it upgrades along with his outfit, basically. After chapter progression.). I think his first one is basically just a standard squire with the wish ability, maybe some better magic stats...

You'd be served just as well bringing him back to Squire once it's beefed up.

Frosteey on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Ah, thanks!

gilrain on
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Frosteey wrote: »
    Equip armor can be a bit nice, but I generally prefer the better magic and stat boosts other armor starts giving later on. Parry's use depends entirely on what item selection's available to you and your job.
    The nice thing and the bad thing about Parry is that it's entirely dependent on your equipped weapon. It's bad because you need particular weapons to make the best use out of Parry, but it's great because it's the one "counter skill" that is NOT dependent on Bravery for its success rate.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    gilrain wrote: »
    What should I focus on learning, as knights? Also, should Ramza also switch to knight, even though (apparently) his squire class is different and desirable?

Mostly the stat boost is the best reason to do it at your stage of the game and higher HP as Frosteey said.
    gilrain wrote:
    Edit: by the way, after leveling up a bit and switching everyone to knights/mages, I wiped the floor with that fight I was having trouble with. :P

Yeah pretty much. The base classes have some nice skills but its no fun staying a squire forever.

Folken Fanel on
    Characters I hate:

• Options
    BlackCloudBlackCloud Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

That might be the case, I guess Ramza just tends to be the highest in my playthroughs.

In any case, they do key off the highest level character, so you want to keep your dudes within a few levels of each other.

I just know I fucked myself by doing the self-yell trick too many times in one playthrough and suddenly the rest of my dudes got savagely raped every time there was a random encounter.

It's been a while since I've played, but I believe that the enemies are the average level of what your battle party is +1. So, if your average level is 50, then the monsters are lvl51.

BlackCloud on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Ugh, I am on the verge of putting the game down for a while, on account of my inability to get past this battle. It's the first fight against
    Argath, the one in which he shoots Tietra.

My entire party is at the same level (I am very careful about this, always), which is level 9. They are even all within about 20 xp of each other. Delita is at level 5, though. Since he only plays in the story battles, I can't level him up at all...

I take Ramza (a knight), of course, and a white mage in my first party. In my second, I take another knight and a black mage. (I've also tried with two other knights in the second party, but the black mage is pretty integral, since he's also a backup white mage.) They key to victory is keeping a tight formation, so I can keep protect/shell on everyone and heal efficiently. I take out a couple of their knights, then can loosen formation enough to hit their black mages and on to [the leader] at leisure.

Unfortunately, and this is by far the most frustrating thing about this game so far, my Guest character, Delita, of course didn't get the memo. Wow, AI-controlled characters taking up one of my party slots is grrr. He runs out every time and gets himself slaughtered before my white mage can so much as cast protect or cure. Any attempts to raise him are futile. So, I start the battle at party -1 every time.

I can "win" if I just zerg rush [the leader]. I take a couple losses, though, which is unacceptable. My group is too small.

Also, the unskippable dialog can go straight to hell. I've played the battle about five times, now, and if I have to sit through all that exposition one more time, just to lose again... I just know my PSP will end up broken. :(

gilrain on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Monk skills are great as backup for just about any class if you're interested in grinding out some JP prior to that fight. Chakra alone makes it a worthwhile addition. Try playing around with some unorthodox job combinations such as a Knight with Throw Items until you find something that works for you. Monks with Equip Armor can take one hell of a beating as well.

Mechanical on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Monk skills are great as backup for just about any class if you're interested in grinding out some JP prior to that fight. Chakra alone makes it a worthwhile addition. Try playing around with some unorthodox job combinations such as a Knight with Throw Items until you find something that works for you. Monks with Equip Armor can take one hell of a beating as well.
    Hmm, haven't messed with monks, yet. I'll give that a shot. Most of my knights already have Equip Heavy Armor, Equip Shields, Parry, and Rend Weapon (which i never use, on account of it never works [when I need it to]).

gilrain on
  • Options
    JurgJurg In a TeacupRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Hmm, haven't messed with monks, yet. I'll give that a shot. Most of my knights already have Equip Heavy Armor, Equip Shields, Parry, and Rend Weapon (which i never use, on account of it never works [when I need it to]).

You should definitely try out new jobs as you get them. Not only is the variety half of the fun, but levelling them up will unlock even more jobs.

Also, you seem to be getting stuck on a lot of battles. Since this game is notorious for bullshit battles, make sure that, whenever it asks you if you want to save (outside of you actually going into the save menu yourself), SAVE IN A DIFFERENT FILE. Also, it would be in your best interest to teach Ramza Auto-Potion and Yell. (Whatever the Squire skill that increases speed is called in this version.) Trust me on this one.

Jurg on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    LockeColeLockeCole Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

I'd recommend working on some monks or at least getting some of the monk skills for some of your guys - they are amazingly good when you first can get them (I seem to recall the monk class isn't that hard to unlock) and even late game are pretty damn useful.

LockeCole on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Awesome guys, thanks. I was introduced to the genre by FFTA, so I am used to having my hand held. I am loving the story and writing, so far. :^:

gilrain on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    What's your secondary ability on the knights? Putting item on them with phoenix downs should pretty much solve your problem with people dying. Even if they just come back to be killed by a knight again, you've at least reset the counter and used up an enemy's turn in the process. And at that point in the game, you probably don't have a lot of skills available that warrant being used over it.

A lot of times even towards the end of the game I'll still have someone who has Item as a secondary skill even when the only item they've learned to use is phoenix down.

What's your black mage setup? Thunder/ice rod and the -ara level of the corresponding element? It'd probably be easier to grind to one if you don't have it yet, rather than trying for chakra. I'd recommend just putting it in the same group as Ramza. More enemies on that side, and it's easier to kill auto-potion guy that way.

Frosteey on
  • Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Jurg wrote: »
    Also, you seem to be getting stuck on a lot of battles. Since this game is notorious for bullshit battles, make sure that, whenever it asks you if you want to save (outside of you actually going into the save menu yourself), SAVE IN A DIFFERENT FILE. Also, it would be in your best interest to teach Ramza Auto-Potion and Yell. (Whatever the Squire skill that increases speed is called in this version.) Trust me on this one.

To all new comers: unless you want to lose the game 20 hours in, follow his advice. And I do mean "lose" in the same sense "I played with one save file in Fallout and my guy dies of radiation sickness when I travel". Starting from the beginning is not something you want to do.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    There's truth to this. This game has a lot of easy bosses, but then some that are absolute bull.

Fuck you, Belias. FUCK. YOU.

Admittedly, I only had problems the first few times, but still. This was AWFUL the first time I fought it.

Mechanical on
  • Options
    commathecommathe Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    After playing through the original years ago, I picked this up and started playing. The first thing I did after the initial 2 fights was make 3 new characters with names I liked. I then got into a random battle. It let me use ramza and my 3 new characters (all my characters were level 1 anyway thanks to fucking delita stealing every goddamn kill).

So the first random battle with my 4 level 1's was against 5 level 4's. I got destroyed.

Thinking of taking it back and buying Disgaea for the fuckteenth time. Cutscenes look cool though, even if the dialogue has wierdened.

commathe on
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    That is why you BASH Delita first thing. Just hit him with everything you have. He can't die, he's a main character. He just has little sparkles above his head.

THEN you can focus on the enemies.

MechMantis on
  • Options
    LockeColeLockeCole Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Jurg wrote: »

To all new comers: unless you want to lose the game 20 hours in, follow his advice. And I do mean "lose" in the same sense "I played with one save file in Fallout and my guy dies of radiation sickness when I travel". Starting from the beginning is not something you want to do.

Fucking Library.

Excuse me while I go invent some new curse words to describe my feelings on that.

LockeCole on