As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

j4r's continuous dumping (update 2/5) *NSFW*

j4rj4r Registered User regular
edited February 2007 in Artist's Corner
*For new images, please scroll down.*

Hey hey, I'm new to the forums. I've lurked a little bit, and figured I may as well post some stuff. Let me know what you think... I'm not too scared of abuse, so crit away, please :)

Some Illustrator sketches:
projectA.gifxmascard.gif

Some quick sketches (~5 mins. or less)... Trying to work on line quality with this tablet that I don't use enough:
quicky2.gifquicky.gif

j4r on

• Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Super style! The black and white caricatures on the bottom remind me of the kinds you see in the New Yorker. Really nice - I'd love to see more. :)

NightDragon on
  • Options
    The One Dark KnightThe One Dark Knight Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Very nice style, I'd like to see more :)

The One Dark Knight on
    [END]
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Thanks for the replies. Here's another quickie that I threw some color on. I draw myself alot... I still feel odd sketching people out in public. Besides, I'm always there:
    me2.gif
    This one's clipart-inspired:
    cellular.gif

j4r on
  • Options
    EdmanEdman Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I really like this style of yours, it has this slight "cartoonist from the 40s" feel to it. Real nice stuff, keep it up!

Edman on
  • Options
    DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited January 2007
    Cool stuff. The portraits are very Hirschfeld-esque.

DMAC on
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    This style screams the ritzy character design seen in The New Yorker.

It's good to see that style still being used.

Godfather on
  • Options
    drinkinstoutdrinkinstout Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I swear I've seen that christmas card guy before...

drinkinstout on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    'nother self portrait sketch:
    sketchysp.jpg

j4r on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    DMAC, Godfather- Thanks for the flattery! Although I had to look Hirschfeld up, I immediately recognized the artist. I definitely see the similarity, though his linework flows a lot better!

Drinkinstout- Maybe you've come across my Myspace? That's the only place I've posted any of my stuff. :?

Here's another one from me:
    quicky3.gif

j4r on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    drawing.gif

j4r on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Still more quickies:

quicky4.gifquicky5.gif

j4r on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    belch.gif

j4r on
  • Options
    TheBogTheBog Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    These are all very good, dude. I'm not really sure what to say about them, other than they look quite professional and very unique. That's probably why there aren't too many comments up in here. People come in and go "Ooh... hm.. what can I say about these.. well... they're all just.. pretty cool!"

TheBog on
  • Options
    ShiboeShiboe Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    j4r wrote:
    drawing.gif

Makes me laugh every time!

As for the two following, they look like they are supposed to resemble persons, but I can't place them. Don't know if that was your intention, or if they are just randoms. Also, what's the deal with the wavy horizontal { { { on the guys neck? It looks a little out of place.

Shiboe on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    TheBog- Thanks for the praise :D I feel pretty bummed about my own art most of the time, which has been cramming me into this rut where I don't experiment with the fundamentals of drawing. I'm trying to get away from this and, since most people don't comment own my art in my personal life, I feel this forum will help out. Here-and-there critiques are fine by me.

Shiboe- These aren't exactly caricatures of real people, though I looked at lots of people in a short amount of time before I did these. It helps me to get quicker at drawing what I see before it goes away (not sure if this makes much sense). As for the wavy guy... well, I really did see a guy with lines on his neck like that and I was kinda mesmerized by it :lol:

j4r on
  • Options
    ShiboeShiboe Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    j4r wrote:
    well, I really did see a guy with lines on his neck like that and I was kinda mesmerized by it :lol:

Was he melting?!? If so did you help him?

Shiboe on
  • Options
    punbeard81punbeard81 Registered User new member
    edited February 2007
    I've been doing amature caricatures for three or four years and you really have a great style. I'm jealous of your line flow, it's something I peck away at but I have a very sharp angular style so it doesn't always go well. I don't know how old you are or how serious you are about doing these professionally but your stuff is easily better than the stuff I was putting out when I started. You really should think about setting up a booth at a fair or festival or whatever, it's the best way to get practice and 98% of the time people don't even care what it looks like as long as the hair is close. It's a funny hobby at minimum and a good way to make some extra cash.

If your into that flowing line style another great person to check out is Stephen Silver, the character designer for Kim Possible among other things. His stuff is amazing.

punbeard81 on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Shiboe- Unfortunately, he wasn't melting, they were just weird creases.

punbeard81- My hands are pretty shaky, so, when I draw smoothly like this, I've got to do it fast or the line quality takes a nosedive. When I'm sketching with just pencil and paper, it's usually a lot blockier.

Also, I don't do anything professional with my art, except for a little freelance work with spot illustration or some basic design stuff. Doing paid caricatures sounds like fun, though, so maybe I'll check into it. The advice is much-appreciated :)

Btw, I've had a rough one this week, and lotsa work. I'll try to get around to posting more soon.

j4r on
  • Options
    u63ru63r Jon "Bad Wasabi" Wood Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Those first two 'sketches' look very...nineties.

u63r on