As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Superman: Man of Tomorrow! (and his dog)

• BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    smokmnky wrote: »
    How good (bad?) is Loeb's Supergirl run?

its really really really bad

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Balefuego wrote: »
    smokmnky wrote: »
    How good (bad?) is Loeb's Supergirl run?

its really really really bad
    Worse than his Supergirl arc in Superman/Batman? Now that's a conundrum.

Fencingsax on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Balefuego wrote: »
    His first issue of Supergirl was last month and was reeeeaaly good.

Are you not reading Action and Superman?
    Was that the one where she takes a secret identity. Because I didn't like it so much. Supergirl still seems way too concerned with what others think of her, and not concerned at all about her actual actions and their consequences.

Yes, not at all like a teenage girl.

And isn't the story arc supposed to address these very character flaws?
    I guess that's true. And yes, this arc supposedly does something about it, but I don't think one arc can redeem a chracter that's been shit since it's inception, and has actually gotten worse in some places.

Fencingsax on
  • SalmonOfDoubtSalmonOfDoubt Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Keith wrote: »
    Nope

I picked up the first issue of Johns' run on Action and wasn't particularly impressed. I wasn't at all suprised by this as I don't really like Superman, so I can't really be bothered getting into this big crossover.

I might pick up last months issue of Supergirl, though, just to have a look.

Johns's first issue of Action Comics was part of the OYL storyline "Up, Up, and Away", which was great

And the two most recent story arcs (with the Legion and Braniac respectively) are fantastic

Oh erm I thought this Brainiac arc was the start of his run.

So I guess I mean I picked up the first issue of the Brainiac arc and wasn't particularly impressed

SalmonOfDoubt on
    heavensidesig80.jpg
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    killing children would be hilarious
    Olivaw wrote: »
    HELLO AND WELCOME TO THE PENNY ARCADE FORUMS

PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY

AND THIS PENIS
    Man, I don't want to read about this lady's broken vagina.
    NotACrook wrote: »
    I am sitting here trying to come up with a tiered system for rating child molesters.
    cock vore is fuckin hilarious
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I just finished reading Red Son - what other story arcs have Lex Luthor acting like a champion for humanity?

"Why don't you just put the whole WORLD in a BOTTLE, Superman?"

emnmnme on
  • mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    All-Star Superman?

mattharvest on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Lex Luthor: Man of Steel is the bee's knees, baby.

Robos A Go Go on
  • frayfray Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    JLA: Earth 2 is also very good.

fray on
    "I told you," said Ford. "Eddies in the space-time continuum."
    "And this is his sofa, is it?" said Arthur.
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Out of curiosity, I picked up the new krypton special.

It does feel very fresh, like a clean slate. What continuity is he drawing from still? There are a lot of minor and not so minor things that I feel I need to be filled in on, so where do I start? Once the Braniac arc is issued as a hardcover, I'll be all over that. Beyond that, what do I need to read from the recent years to catch up?

HadjiQuest on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited November 2008
    HadjiQuest wrote: »
    What continuity is he drawing from still?

The continuity of previous issues in the storyline

Garlic Bread on
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

But I mean, where does he start. Is it just from his run, onwards?

HadjiQuest on
  • jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    emnmnme wrote: »
    I just finished reading Red Son - what other story arcs have Lex Luthor acting like a champion for humanity?

"Why don't you just put the whole WORLD in a BOTTLE, Superman?"

There were lots of Silver Age storylines involving the planet Lexor, where LL was a super-champion (of course, it eventually went wrong, as outlined in the Wolfman/Kane/Perez issue of ACTION that revamped Luthor (gave him the green power suit) and Brainiac (made him a robot)).

Also, the original Crisis On Infinite Earths, or any pre-Crisis story involving the Crime Syndicate's Lex Luthor (he had a powersuit and a fu-manchu).

But I mean, where does he start. Is it just from his run, onwards?

In theory, you could argue that he's pulling from every appearance of Brainiac, ever.

But yeah, just pick up his run, and you'll be fine.

In closing - the LoSH arc was the best of Johns run so far, and Gary Frank's art is terrific. The stiffness from Squadron Supreme is gone.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    You thought LoSH was better than Braniac? (And the awesome three-part Bizarro World?! :P)

I definitely will need to pick that up, then.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited November 2008
    The LoSH story was definitely better than Brainiac

and I never understand the Legion

Garlic Bread on
  • Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

Wisdom.

Sars_Boy on
    edited November 2008
    Sars_Boy wrote: »

Wisdom.

What?

Garlic Bread on
  • Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Sars_Boy wrote: »

Wisdom.

What?
    Word.

Sars_Boy on
    edited November 2008
    Oh okay!

Garlic Bread on
  • bychancebychance Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    The Final Crisis comic series is kind of boring me.

bychance on
    edited November 2008
    What a great thread to post that in!

Garlic Bread on
    edited November 2008
    :rotate:

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Did anyone check of Superman/Supergirl: Malestrom? It was a pretty neat interaction, and it has Superman finally taking some time for Supergirl (instead of putting her in an orphanage).

JoeUser on
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I'm mildly concerned that since Johns is writing both Action Comics as well as Green Lantern, that Pa Kent is going to end up as a Black Lantern. I do not like this idea.

Lucascraft on
    edited November 2008
    You should probably find a way to get past that concern before the event starts - I almost guarantee that Pa Kent is going to be zombified. In fact, if Pa Kent does not get a black ring, I will eat my own cock.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Quite a bold statement. I will bet the same if he does!

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
  • ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    That you'll eat his or your own?

ManonvonSuperock on
  • FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    You've called the whole bet's masculinity into question, now. I am confuddled!

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
    edited November 2008
    Pa Kent will devour Clark's heart

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    So was that Supergirl(Maelstrom?) issue from last week tied in to this whole New Krypton thing? Cause I didn't buy it but if it is I'll pick it up today

smokmnky on
    edited November 2008
    I don't believe it is, smokmnky.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
    edited November 2008
    No. It's a story about Superman and Supergirl vs some chick from Apokolips

and since Final Crisis is going on, I really don't know why they're putting this book out right now

Garlic Bread on
    edited November 2008
    DC Editorial is always on the ball when it comes to storyline coordination.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
    edited November 2008
    DC Editorial is always on the ball when it comes to storyline coordination.

I've always wished that a comic universe would exist where there were strict rules about each character having precisely one location at any one time, etc. I thought Ultimate would be like that, and it was initially, but they've dropped that ball too.

mattharvest on
    edited November 2008
    I don't mean where it falls in continuity-wise (it obviously takes place way before Final Crisis and New Krypton)

It's just that the main Superman books are in a crossover, and all the Fourth World stuff is being changed in Final Crisis, so they should have either put this out before or waited to put it out.

Garlic Bread on
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited November 2008
    I don't see why it matters one way or another. The quality of the story is what matters. If Superman/Supergirl: Maelstrom is a good story, nobody will worry too much about its context. If it isn't, being fetishistic about continuity won't help.

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
    edited November 2008
    jacobkosh wrote: »
    I don't see why it matters one way or another. The quality of the story is what matters. If Superman/Supergirl: Maelstrom is a good story, nobody will worry too much about its context. If it isn't, being fetishistic about continuity won't help.

It's not being "fetishistic" about continuity to ask that characters only occupy one story at a time, regardless of the quality of the story.

If you're writing in a shared universe, you should write in the shared universe. If you cannot be bothered to write within the constraints of the medium you chose, you shouldn't be writing there and you certainly shouldn't be employed there.

mattharvest on
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    jacobkosh wrote: »

It's not being "fetishistic" about continuity to ask that characters only occupy one story at a time, regardless of the quality of the story.

If you're writing in a shared universe, you should write in the shared universe. If you cannot be bothered to write within the constraints of the medium you chose, you shouldn't be writing there and you certainly shouldn't be employed there.

This is easy for some characters, who only have one label per month. But it becomes nearly impossible for a perfect spacial continuity to exist for brands with multiple monthly entries, such as Batman, Superman, X-Men, and Spider-Man.

In the above cases (and others), there is such popular demand for those characters, that there is a huge assortment of monthly books dedicated to them. Multiple writers, multiple stories, villains, injuries, etc.

There is a point at which you must simply surrender to the concept that each story exists in its own special pocket of time and are rather independent of other pockets of time, despite their chronological release order.

Lucascraft on
  • INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    So what is up with that picture of super girl in the OP

(Pardon me for not reading the entire thread)

That is nice looking art, who is the villain she is punching?

INeedNoSalt on
    edited November 2008
    So what is up with that picture of super girl in the OP

(Pardon me for not reading the entire thread)

That is nice looking art, who is the villain she is punching?

That's the Silver Banshee

Garlic Bread on
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited November 2008

According to whom? Why? How is the shared universe a value-adding concept when it prevents a company from selling as many Batman comics as it otherwise might, or from using characters in stories that are creatively appropriate for them regardless of whether they're "spoken for" at the moment?

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif