As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Suggestions for some good "party" games.

The_DcipleThe_Dciple Registered User regular
edited January 2007 in Games and Technology
My small group of friends and I, a total of four having steadily increased and expanded our gaming gatherings over the year. It slowly began with an hour of Super Smash Brothers Melee up to a two television LAN in my basement. Still we haven't been able to satiate our hunger for something new and fun, as my group gets tired of a game fairly quickly. Over the summer we tried everything we could: Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles, The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords, Phantasy Star Online, a plethora of board games, Magic the Gathering, every other imaginable multiplayer game for the Gamecube and more. But still only Super Smash Brothers Melee (and now Guitar Hero) has been the staple for our gaming nights. Now with my LAN set we figured our possibilities would expand but it's only been two weeks and we're already bored with Gears of War and I'm just a much more skilled player in Halo 2.

My group is pretty open to whatever game can be enjoyed and played as a group but it feels like nothing can keep our attention long enough to bother even trying.

So I need help, or rather suggestions for videogames that would be worth trying out. Gamecube, Wii, PS2, Xbox and Xbox 360 are our possible outlets so there is a lot of room for ideas.

My ideas right now at this point is Halo just for screwing around; still trying to look for other games at are worth system-linking.

The_Dciple on

• Mace1370Mace1370 Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Wii sports is obviously as awesome party game. Every time I bust it out at a party people scream with delight.

Mace1370 on
  • The_DcipleThe_Dciple Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I think we played Wii Sports for an hour or two until we were done with it.

Super Monkey Ball for the Wii kept our attention just a little longer because of the snowboarding mini game.

The_Dciple on
  • Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Wario Ware

Gorilla Salad on
  • SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Rayman: Raving Rabbids.

Playing the multiplayer and even switching out who gets to play is great fun. None of the minigames are very long and it's generally very funny so even if you're not playing you're having a good time.

SirUltimos on
  • apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    The_Dciple wrote:
    I think we played Wii Sports for an hour or two until we were done with it.

Super Monkey Ball for the Wii kept our attention just a little longer because of the snowboarding mini game.

But so many minigames in that are unplayable shit.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • GSMGSM Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Write your own party games, and make use of lots of cheap USB controllers and hubs.

It's really not that hard if you kludge it.

GSM on
    We'll get back there someday.
  • spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    We have people over every Saturday, and it's often about 10-15 drunken bodies clammering for a stick. We play a lot of GC games, because they have 4 players mostly. We usually rotate out what games we play based on who's there, also. We have friends that are more into fighting games, and friends that are more into racing games, etc. Our gaming nights over here usually consist of a mixture of the following:

GC:
    Smash Bros
    Mario Kart DD
    Super Mario Strikers
    Mario Tennis
    WarioWare
    Donkey Konga 1+2

PS2:
    Guitar Hero 2
    Soul Calibur 3
    DDRMax 1+2
    Street Fighter 3: 3rd Strike
    Street Fighter Alpha 3
    Pocket Fighter

Xbox:
    Fusion Frenzy

Halo is not allowed in my house.

spookymuffin on
    PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
  • bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Definitely check out Donkey Konga and it's sequel. They can be found very cheap nowadays, I got all three games that use the bongos and 4 sets of bongos for like $50 a month back.

Also: WarioWare for Wii or you're a communist.

bruin on
  • YesNoMuYesNoMu Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Fighting games? Soul Calibur II/III, Virtua Fighter 4:Evolution, Marvel vs. Capcom 2, Dead or Alive 4, Street Fighter II/III all sound good.

YesNoMu on
    camo_sig2.png
  • MarlorMarlor Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    The games that get played at the moment here are:

GC:
    Mario Kart: Double Dash
    Super Monkey Ball 2
    Any Mario Sports title.

Wii:
    Wii Sports
    Rayman: Raving Rabbids

PS2:
    Guitar Hero
    Singstar

XBox:
    Dead or Alive 3

Smash Bros is also an option, but the group I play with aren't fans.
    Mario Party used to be a staple, but it wore out its welcome after the N64.
    Halo was also popular for a while, but I've got five PCs here capable of running Quake 3, so that gets played instead now.

We only play two games on the PS2, but it gets as much play-time as any other console. Guitar Hero can last all night, and Singstar has also proven to be more fun than it has any right to be.

Mario Kart 64 arrived on the Aussie Wii Virtual Console yesterday. We played it all last night. I hope some Mario Party games are released soon, since the N64 versions are just more fun than the GC versions.

Marlor on
    Mario Kart Wii: 1332-8060-5236 (Aaron)
  • The_DcipleThe_Dciple Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Thanks for the suggestions, but here's the problem:

We've played most of those game and are bored of them. I know it sounds crazy but my group just cannot stick to a game.

Well, maybe I can convince my friends to try out Crystal Chronicles again.

But most likely not much will change so I guess we'll have to tough it out.

The_Dciple on
  • RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Heavy Weapon is an awesome party game. Very easy to pick up and play, but filled with plenty of depth. Only $10 (800 Microsoft points) as well. Lots of fun when the instant kill enemy nukes start dropping and everyone goes crazy trying to destroy them in time.

RainbowDespair on
  • -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Xbox:
    Kung Fu Chaos
    Mashed

-SPI- on
  • MarlorMarlor Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    The_Dciple wrote:
    Thanks for the suggestions, but here's the problem:

We've played most of those game and are bored of them. I know it sounds crazy but my group just cannot stick to a game.

There is actually a massive lack of good party games these days. The XBox used to be my only modern (post-NES) console. I became really frustrated a couple of years after its launch when I realised that the entire list of decent party games for it could probably be jotted on the back of a business card.

So I bought a Gamecube, which was the party console of choice for us until Guitar Hero and the Wii were released.

If you've played all the party games that have been mentioned, and are bored, then you're really a bit out of luck. Decent party games are hard to come by. Hopefully the Wii will change this.

Marlor on
    Mario Kart Wii: 1332-8060-5236 (Aaron)
  • rtsrts Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Halo CTF Blood Gulch is a winner for large groups. But if you only have 4 people Fusion Frenzy 2 is coming out on the 30th of this month and that should be pretty fun.

rts on
  • TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Pac-Man VS.

You obviously have link cables and GBAs available if you tried Crystal Chronicles.

Also look into wrestling titles like Def Jam Vendetta and Rumble Roses.

Taramoor on
  • TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    All of these people suggesting Wario Ware Wii?

They are telling you an epic truth, good sir.

TheySlashThem on
  • MasterDebaterMasterDebater Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    If you're board game nerds, Axis and Allies, Settlers of Catan, etc

MasterDebater on
  • core tacticcore tactic Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Time Splitters 3: future perfect

Seriously, the more people you have hooked up, the better it gets.

Vouch for me here people.

core tactic on
    6700ab2ed7bb6f9876150c388a78a011.png