As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Video Card Thread(56k go away)

• JoeslopJoeslop Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    So my rig right now.

Intel Core 2 6600 2.40 ghz processor
    2 GB of RAM
    nVidia Geforce 7950 GT 512 MB of RAM

Am I correct in thinking that my video card is the bottleneck on here? I just got Fallout 3 and it runs fine (minus the bugs of course) but nowhere near max settings and definitely not at a high framerate. In fact even WoW slows down in some of the busier Outlands areas.

I'm also running XP if that helps. More resources for gaming and all.

Joeslop on
  • Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Honestly, it seems like everything is a bit low. Unless you play at lower resolutions, that set up is rather on the shallow side. I'd say maybe try and overclock the processor just a pinch. Maybe to 2.6Ghz at least.

I am not sure as to how much ram is being used on XP. May want to keep your eye on that. 2gigs should be plenty for XP gaming, I would think!

And yeah, the graphics card is also a bit weaker. See you are in a strange position. This stuff is not quite obsolete yet, neither is it strong enough. So to get better results, you are going to have to go to further lengths. However you can overclock for free and do general system maintenance to keep from some programs hogging too much ram and cpu usage. Oh and I suppose you can also update the video drivers.

Outside of that, you're going to need an upgrade. I'd suggest maybe an nvidia 260. Those seem to be a good balance of price and power and it will pull you right up into current gen awesomeness.

Lucky Cynic on
    edited October 2008
    Oh btw, I just got my uber PC set up finally. God damn are these 280GTXs HUGE. But man are they great. I was just playing Need For Speed Prostreet at 1680x1050 with all the bells and whistles and AA and all that. Never did it flinch below 60fps.

Too bad the game sucks and the graphics card couldn't help it.

I am really looking forward to checking out WAR's performance, Second Life's performance, and Crysis.

Lucky Cynic on
    edited October 2008
    Would a card like this be a pretty good upgrade for the price? I'm not really looking for a big upgrade at the moment, just something to replace the video card, kind of like a handhold to the next level when I DO upgrade my processor.

Joeslop on
  • EgoEgo Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Joeslop wrote: »
    So my rig right now.

2 GB of RAM

Am I correct in thinking that my video card is the bottleneck on here? I just got Fallout 3 and it runs fine (minus the bugs of course) but nowhere near max settings and definitely not at a high framerate. In fact even WoW slows down in some of the busier Outlands areas.

The 7950 is a bit dated, an upgrade there will make the biggest difference. 2.4ghz is acceptable but C2D's are good overclockers, so if you've got the motherboard for it you can probably get some free performance there.

Ego on
    Erik
    edited October 2008
    Eh.... at that price, I would get an 8800GT or 9800GT. I mean, there are some for like $10-20 more that would be much more of a boost.

But still. If I were you, I'd horde your money and upgrade later.

Lucky Cynic on
    edited October 2008
    Ego wrote: »
    So my rig right now.

2 GB of RAM

The 7950 is a bit dated, an upgrade there will make the biggest difference. 2.4ghz is acceptable but C2D's are good overclockers, so if you've got the motherboard for it you can probably get some free performance there.

Here is my motherboard. I've never actually done any overclocking so I don't know how hard it is or the dangers involved.

EDIT: I just saw this card from earlier in the thread. After rebate it's $159.99 but it's an XFX chip. I've never had one of theirs, are they pretty decent?

Also am I assuming correctly that a 9800 GTX+ is a way better upgrade than a 9800 GT? I've been out of the market for a year and half.

EDIT AGAIN: I should probably also mention that I have an LCD monitor with a max resolution of 1280x1024. So until I get a new monitor, I'm not going to have to worry about maxing things out on some huge resolution.

Joeslop on
  • PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    280GTXs

Plural GTX280s and you're at 1680x1050? You need a bigger monitor.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    280GTXs

Agreed. You'd probably notice no difference at all between a single GTX280 and two GTX280's for that game at 16x10.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    So my rig right now.

2 GB of RAM

Here is my motherboard. I've never actually done any overclocking so I don't know how hard it is or the dangers involved.

EDIT: I just saw this card from earlier in the thread. After rebate it's $159.99 but it's an XFX chip. I've never had one of theirs, are they pretty decent?

Also am I assuming correctly that a 9800 GTX+ is a way better upgrade than a 9800 GT? I've been out of the market for a year and half.

EDIT AGAIN: I should probably also mention that I have an LCD monitor with a max resolution of 1280x1024. So until I get a new monitor, I'm not going to have to worry about maxing things out on some huge resolution.

It's not an XFX chip. That's the manufacturer of the board. Nvidia makes the chipset. Otherwise, the NewEgg user reviews seem pretty solid.

Esh on
    edited October 2008
    Esh wrote: »
    So my rig right now.

2 GB of RAM

It's not an XFX chip. That's the manufacturer of the board. Nvidia makes the chipset. Otherwise, the NewEgg user reviews seem pretty solid.

Well yeah, I know the difference between who makes the chipset and who made the actual board, just semantics on my part perhaps.

Besides, it comes with a free copy of FarCry2, can't be all that bad?

Joeslop on
    edited October 2008
    280GTXs

I meant the different 280s out there. Some run at higher speeds and such. I mean, I have found some that are $100 cheaper or more expensive than other versions.

Right now, unless I want to play Crysis on 32xAnti Aliasing, there is hardly any reason to buy two. XP

Lucky Cynic on
  • EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Esh wrote: »
    So my rig right now.

2 GB of RAM

Well yeah, I know the difference between who makes the chipset and who made the actual board, just semantics on my part perhaps.

Besides, it comes with a free copy of FarCry2, can't be all that bad?

Sounds like a deal to me.

Esh on
    edited October 2008

Hey, nice motherboard, those are just fine for OC'ing.

Nothing wrong with that video card you linked. I'd spring for a 4850 if you can afford one at the same cost (and if the high idling temperature isn't an issue for you) but buying cheap, that one's a good card.

Here's a little guide for OC'ing that should help you out a fair bit:

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1198647 (linked from someone else in another thread but I'll vouch for the information, the hardforum guys are gooduns.)

If you have questions or anything in there seems confusing, drop me a PM.

Just for a quick summation, this is what you'll be doing.

AFTER ensuring your system is already stable, and gathering tools to verify your speed in windows (CPU-Z, CPUID) and temperature (hardwaremon) and stability (Prime95, some games, preferably the ones you actually play.)...

1. Jump into your BIOS and increase your FSB speed marginally (say by 3 or 5... your mobo manual, or an online copy of it, will tell you how to do this if you don't spot it just by poking around, but chances are you just have to change your CPU configuration to 'manual' instead of auto, after which tweakable FSB settings will appear.) On your CPU a FSB increase of 3 from the default 266mhz to 269mhz will yield a 27mhz CPU speed increase. CPU speed = multiplier * front side bus (9x266 = 2400mhz). Your multiplier is locked at 9, your default FSB speed is 266 and your FSB is what you can change to speed up your CPU.

2. Boot to windows, test system stability quickly with some game benchmarks. If stable, jump back to step 1. If unstable, jump to step 3.

3. Revert your FSB to the last amount that was stable during step 2. Now increase your vcore slightly. This is the voltage going to your CPU. More voltage means more heat (which is anathema to overclocking) but it also means a stronger cleaner signal going through the CPU for calculations. Too much voltage will damage your CPU, so be careful and read up on what's safe from the link above. Now jump to step 2.

You quit when you don't want to push your vcore any higher, when your FSB won't go any further without being unstable (or stopping the mobo from booting, sometimes your mobo limits you before your CPU,) or when your temperature is getting outside of ranges you consider acceptable (IMO, cpu temp is very unimportant SO LONG as the system is stable.)

When you've found what looks to be the limit for your CPU, start digging in with some Prime-95 loops to really hammer on the CPU and make sure you're stable, then a good long session of gaming or game-loops to test the rest of your components. If your system flunks the test, start moving backwards in FSB/lowering vcore until it doesn't.

Geez, hope this made sense. Kind of hammered that out in a hurry as I'm rushing off, but I'll double check it when I get back.

Ego on
    Erik
  • TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    So, how good is the Raedon 4850 512meg? I'm currently running on a x1600 pro and badly need an upgrade since new games will not run anymore. The rest of the rig is solid, it's just the graphics card was supposed to be a temporary placeholder that became kinda permanent.

Tav on
    edited October 2008
    Tav wrote: »
    So, how good is the Raedon 4850 512meg? I'm currently running on a x1600 pro and badly need an upgrade since new games will not run anymore. The rest of the rig is solid, it's just the graphics card was supposed to be a temporary placeholder that became kinda permanent.

The 4850 is the best card in that price point.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    wunderbar wrote: »
    Tav wrote: »

The 4850 is the best card in that price point.

Wonderful, I was really hoping to be able to play Mirror's Edge and Fallout 3 by Christmas. Thanks.

Tav on
  • Serious_ScrubSerious_Scrub Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Currently, what is the most powerful fanless video card out there? I've heard that the recent ATI cards run pretty hot, so I'm not sure what options I have here. I currently have a 8600GT, which, although everybody derided as weak card when it was released, was the most powerful card I could find that was fanless and didn't use another power connector

Serious_Scrub on
  • BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Currently, what is the most powerful fanless video card out there? I've heard that the recent ATI cards run pretty hot, so I'm not sure what options I have here. I currently have a 8600GT, which, although everybody derided as weak card when it was released, was the most powerful card I could find that was fanless and didn't use another power connector

Why fanless? If noise is an issue you could consider an aftermarket heatsink+fan with adjustable speed. The Zalman VF1000 cools better than the stock cooler on ATI's cards even on the lowest speed. Noise at the lowest speed is claimed to be 18 dBA, SilentPCReview says it is 21 dBA at one meter.

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    We are way past the age of powerful fanless video cards.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    We are way past the age of powerful fanless video cards.

This. With the level of power - both actual watts consumed and pixels pushed - fanless cooling isn't something that's going to happen on anything more than a low-tier card these days. Even the lowest-speed fans make a big difference though.

Barrakketh is right, if you want super-quiet cooling you'll need to go aftermarket. A heatpipe-styled cooler and a 120mm @ 5V blowing on it might work for something up to the 9800GT level - beyond that I don't know if that's possible.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • HiravaxisHiravaxis Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    How do I ensure I'm running the latest drivers?
    I've just got a 4870.
    I've DL'd and installed 8.10 but Device manager says 8.5.
    What gives?

Hiravaxis on
  • RohanRohan Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    8.540 or something? Yeah, says that in mine too, and mine has seen definite improvements since installing 8.10, so it's definitely the right version.

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
  • kpeezykpeezy Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Is there a general consensus on which brand is the best to buy when getting a Radeon 4870?

kpeezy on
    me itt
    SSBB: 5370-1223-4258
    edited November 2008
    Well most people stick with BFG tech or Evga-- oh.

That's card is from ati.

Lucky Cynic on
  • RohanRohan Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    kpeezy wrote: »
    Is there a general consensus on which brand is the best to buy when getting a Radeon 4870?

Nah, they're all good in my experience. But the favourite is usually Sapphire.

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
    edited November 2008
    yea, honestly, I never worry too much about brands when buying video cards, especially in the ATI space. They're all about the same anyway.

wunderbar on
    edited November 2008
    Well, how about based on other things such as warranty? I know Visiontek has a lifetime warranty. Is that worth $40 or $50 over the cheapest ASUS 4870?

kpeezy on
    me itt
    edited November 2008
    Well, how about based on other things such as warranty? I know Visiontek has a lifetime warranty. Is that worth $40 or $50 over the cheapest ASUS 4870?

Probably not. ASUS says that all of their video cards manufactured after Jan 1, 2001 have a three year warranty. By the time three years is up a cheap $80 card will probably outperform the 4870 :P

Barrakketh on
  • MangarooMangaroo LondonRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Hiravaxis wrote: »
    How do I ensure I'm running the latest drivers?
    I've just got a 4870.
    I've DL'd and installed 8.10 but Device manager says 8.5.
    What gives?

From what I can tell 8.10 means year/month so october 2008, and so november's release will be 8.11, but the version is still 8.54 or something

Mangaroo on
    edited November 2008
    Oh, awesome. I wasn't sure what warranties were like on the ASUS. I guess I might as well save some money.

kpeezy on
    me itt
    edited November 2008
    Oh, awesome. I wasn't sure what warranties were like on the ASUS. I guess I might as well save some money.

They have that information up here for all of their products.

Barrakketh on
  • Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    The 4850X2 is looking nice.

http://www.cluboc.net/reviews/video/sapphire/hd4850x2/page1.asp

I want to see what Nvidia has to counter this new card and the 4870X2

edit:

I believe Visiontek has a life time warranty for Ati cards.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Bryse EayoBryse Eayo Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I'm gonna kill someone.

So I bought a Diamond 4870 back in august and installed it all went well. I have two monitors attached to it, one Acer 22'' AL2216W and an LG 42'' HDTV.

The only issue I've had is when I turn the TV on it makes the monitor turn on and off, flicker like hell as it tried and detects the new output device.

Now a new one has been cropping up the card will stop detecting the monitor all together and won't find it until after a combination of restarting over and over and reinstalling the fucking drivers. right now I'm trying to post this using my TV.

Can someone explain to me what's going wrong here/has anyone else seen this. I've tried both Ati and diamond support and both won't get back to me.

Bryse Eayo on
  • BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Seeing as how I have no problem buying refurb/recertified products, is there any other reason I should not want to buy this?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130402 - 9800 GX2 $220

Mind you I've never bought a video card before, but last night I fucked up something with my old monitor so the analog input is no longer working, plus since I just got a new monitor and both have DVI, I figured I'd try upgrading my card and running both LCD's. Plus, the old video card did give me some slight problems, so it was time to upgrade anyways.

I don't really want to spend more than the price of that card, and I don't really do a whole lot of PC gaming, which makes me think I should just save some cash and buy a 4850 which would still kick the shit out of my current card. But that $220 price for a $400-450 card is just tempting to my on so many levels.

So help me out PA. Should I spend an extra ~$60 fo something I'd hardly use, or just got with a 4850 that isn't a refurbished product? Is there something else I should be looking at? If this isn't the card for me, can you point me to the 4850/70 you'd get?

Burtletoy on
  • HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    oh thank christ, the Cat 8.10s finally fixed the 4870's heating issues. 4 months later I can finally use it properly! Yay fan control

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • HiravaxisHiravaxis Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    oh thank christ, the Cat 8.10s finally fixed the 4870's heating issues. 4 months later I can finally use it properly! Yay fan control

It's not possible to set fan speed thresholds is it?

I haven't found anything that can do that yet.

What setting do you use?

Hiravaxis on
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Reposting this here from the Build thread since this seems to be a better place:

I'm going around and downloading drivers for all the hardware I just bought and I have a quick question about the video card.

It's a Radeon HD 4850 (listed in the OP) but on the ati site I only see a 4800 series driver; yet there seems to be number specific drivers for other cards.

Is it the 4800 series what I'm looking for here?

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

edited November 2008
    My 4850 is the same way for drivers (and games for that matter, ie Fallout 3 detects a 4800 series card) so I'm assuming it's normal.

If it's not normal, at least it's normal for both of us. :)

Ego on
    Erik
  • HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Hiravaxis wrote: »
    Hardtarget wrote: »

It's not possible to set fan speed thresholds is it?

I haven't found anything that can do that yet.

What setting do you use?

so far nothing, aside from enabling manual fan control it also fixed auto fan control (ie. when the gpu is in use it'll spin faster, if not in use it'll slow down)

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png