As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

A Costume Thread! Or: How Black Canary became a tasteless whore (NSF56k)

• ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    So, I really don't like the new X-Force costumes. I find them cheesy and generic.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    So, I really don't like the new X-Force costumes. I find them cheesy and generic.
    I'm sorry I seem to have clicked a link to the 90s.

ben0207 on
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I haven't read much of Morrison's New X Men, but I really liked Fantomex's costume. All-white costumes are hard to do, but he pulled it off pretty well.

DouglasDanger on
  • FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

They're a black ops X-Men team, so they have a general team uniform. It makes sense. Either way, I wasn't showcasing the team's uniforms, just Wolverine's.

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
    edited November 2008
    Right, and I think it looks like an uninspired "wouldn't it be cool if wolverine was black with red glowing eyes?" palette-swap-- i.e. generic and cheesy.

...and the "it's a covert-team, so everyone has to wear spray-on black-and-silver latex with light-up eyes" reasoning just doesn't cut it.

I did however, really dig the old Alex Ross Wolvie design. The streamlined mask, reasonable-sized gloves, and inclusion of a zipper for functionality all really worked, I think.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited November 2008
    Alex Ross is terrible at designing costumes

Garlic Bread on
    edited November 2008
    alex ross is terrible at costume design
    the xmen ones with the giant x from the shoulders to the thighbones were terrible
    they have a certain sleekness thing going on that is good, but almost everything else is terrible

DouglasDanger on
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    alex ross designed the batwoman costume right?

that one was pretty okay, I guess.

even if it was just BATMAN BEYOND + TITS

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • SalmonOfDoubtSalmonOfDoubt Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I like the X-Force designs bcause they resemble an actual uniform

SalmonOfDoubt on
    heavensidesig80.jpg
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    killing children would be hilarious
    Olivaw wrote: »
    HELLO AND WELCOME TO THE PENNY ARCADE FORUMS

PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY

AND THIS PENIS
    Man, I don't want to read about this lady's broken vagina.
    NotACrook wrote: »
    I am sitting here trying to come up with a tiered system for rating child molesters.
    cock vore is fuckin hilarious
  • ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    alex ross designed the batwoman costume right?

that one was pretty okay, I guess.

even if it was just BATMAN BEYOND + TITS

Didn't Alex Ross also design the new Captain America? I like that costume.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    He did.

Wildcat on
    edited November 2008
    It's actually a lot like the Spider-man costume he designed. All of the character's colors are compressed into a a bust, and then there is a lot of black.

DouglasDanger on
    edited November 2008
    Yeah, his designs are usually real similar. I like it on Spider-man, but only during an "I'm sad/angry Spider-man, let me wear black" period.

I also like it for wolverine, but did not like his Captain America... Maybe because I don't like chrome clothing.

I do like that there is a standard look across the board, like the old 60s X-men look. However, if they're trying to go for a covert/military/functional team, I like things like pants and minimal flesh exposure. They aren't dressing up for the media or to increase public acceptance, there's no reason to be sporting spandex. ...And the red eyes look ridiculously stupid.

ManonvonSuperock on
    edited November 2008
    I'm fine with Bucky Cap being more obviously armored than Cap, but I don't like the costume at all.

trosscap2dw0.jpg

For a more obviously "military" Cap, I prefer US Agent's get-up in New Invaders. I'm having trouble finding a picture of it. It's far from perfect, but a step in the right direction I think.

usfightxn7.jpg

Basically, it's a Cap shirt, with a flak jacket over top, camo pants and some kind of helmet. The star-shield is blurry because it is engraved with the names of Americans killed by terrorists.

250pxnewinvaders1ie3.jpg

DouglasDanger on
    edited November 2008
    It reminds me of Heroes Reborn Cap for some reason.

ManonvonSuperock on
    edited November 2008
    Are you making a "bulky chest" joke, or something else? I don't really see any similarities.

DouglasDanger on
    edited November 2008
    no joke, i thought the helmet/wings reminded me of it, but looking at pics of the HR stuff again, it might just be the bulk and that pouty snarl. I like the pants, but I think the shoulder scales are overdone, and I don't like the Star Shield.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Why does Wolfsbane have black fur? Does she transform and then spend a couple hours dying herself black?

BionicPenguin on
    edited November 2008
    Yeah, his designs are usually real similar. I like it on Spider-man, but only during an "I'm sad/angry Spider-man, let me wear black" period.

I also like it for wolverine, but did not like his Captain America... Maybe because I don't like chrome clothing.

I do like that there is a standard look across the board, like the old 60s X-men look. However, if they're trying to go for a covert/military/functional team, I like things like pants and minimal flesh exposure. They aren't dressing up for the media or to increase public acceptance, there's no reason to be sporting spandex. ...And the red eyes look ridiculously stupid.

Just pretend the red eyes are night vision/ir lenses or something to go with their covert-ops thing

And the only one with excessive exposed flesh is X-23 and she's always dressed like a whore so who cares

SalmonOfDoubt on
    heavensidesig80.jpg

PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY

AND THIS PENIS
    I am sitting here trying to come up with a tiered system for rating child molesters.
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

Just pretend the red eyes are night vision/ir lenses or something to go with their covert-ops thing

And the only one with excessive exposed flesh is X-23 and she's always dressed like a whore so who cares
    I look at the picture and all I can think is some evil mirror universe x-men (I'm sure it's been done at least once). The only thing they need to really seal the deal is goatees all around. Except for wolverine, he will be clean-shaven.

see317 on
    edited November 2008
    see317 wrote: »

I look at the picture and all I can think is some evil mirror universe x-men (I'm sure it's been done at least once). The only thing they need to really seal the deal is goatees all around. Except for wolverine, he will be clean-shaven.

shredder.jpg

ManonvonSuperock on
  • IrohIroh Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Hahaha what?

Should she be dressed like Dust?

Iroh on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Iroh wrote: »
    Hahaha what?

I can see the trollop's shoulders!

395px-X-23Unleashed.jpg

Robos A Go Go on
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    that star shield with names on it is a really really cool idea/design.

Langly on
    edited November 2008
    i like the names, like the Vietnam veteran's memorial, I don't like the shape of it or the generic "killed by terrorists" choice for the inclusion of names.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Iroh wrote: »
    Hahaha what?

I can see the trollop's shoulders!

395px-X-23Unleashed.jpg

Oh god, is that her hands? Get this harlot out of my sight.

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
  • Jester313Jester313 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Trollop is a great word.

Jester313 on
  • VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    At least we can't see her ankles, that would have been a step too far!

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    well to be fair, the naked japanese business man she's squatting over has been photoshopped out in that picture.

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Ewww now I look at that face and it looks less fierce and more like she's straining. Thanks alot :/

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
    edited November 2008
    God fuck you guys
    Yes, of course I was obviously referring to when she wore a military uniform and not when she was wearing what was little more than a miniskirt and a corset
    x23thetarget2vw4.jpg
    x23coverfinalkw3.jpg

SalmonOfDoubt on
    heavensidesig80.jpg

PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY

AND THIS PENIS
    edited November 2008
    Those aren't really representative of what she usually wears. I mean, they're not even costumes.

Robos A Go Go on
  • ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2008
    oh, they're costumes all right. the kind of costumes that get you picked up by the cops at night.

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Servo wrote: »
    oh, they're costumes all right. the kind of costumes that get you picked up by the cops at night.

Wasn't she a teenage prostitute?

Kyougu on
    edited November 2008
    Kyougu wrote: »
    Servo wrote: »

Yes, in NYX.

Robos A Go Go on
  • psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    395px-X-23Unleashed.jpg
    +
    +
    well to be fair, the naked japanese business man she's squatting over has been photoshopped out in that picture.
    +
    Ewww now I look at that face and it looks less fierce and more like she's straining. Thanks alot :/
    =

Now you can never unsee it.

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Is that X-23?

X-23 was a teenage prostitute and one of her johns killed himself in front of her (in NYX)

INeedNoSalt on
  • CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Yup, the guy had a fetish for being cut up.

He then sliced himself a good one of himself and that was it for him.

Cade on
  • INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    if Kiden Nixon had a costume it would probably be the best costume

INeedNoSalt on
  • SagrothSagroth Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Anyone remember the Ultraverse?

Atom Bob and LadyKiller in the Strangers had neat costumes, I thought.

Sagroth on
    3DS Code: 5155-3087-0800