As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

First art post (art dump)

nthnth Registered User regular
edited January 2007 in Artist's Corner
Well, I decided to get into art for real but, I am having troubles with cleaning up pictures and editing them. I have photoshop, a intuous tablet, and a scanner. But when I scan it it comes out with a lot of splotches so the best I could do is make it lighter. I can see mistakes but I don't know how to ink and fix them. But, here are a couple of quick sketches. I probably spent about 30 min or less on them. For some reason I can never fully finish something. But I sketch all day.

sketch1.jpg
sketch2.jpg
sketch3.jpg
sketch4.jpg
sketch5.jpg
sketch6.jpg

What's worse than a cold toilet seat? A warm toilet seat. There's only one way short of magic it could have gotten warm. At first, you're almost thankful it's warm, then you get to thinking... this is the result of another person's ass-warmth.
nth on

• Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    A few general tips...if you're genuinely interested in "getting into art, for real", I would try practicing some "real life" drawings...landscapes, actual people (it looks like you enjoy drawing figures), still lifes, etc. ANime is not really the place to start doing this. I mean yeah, it can be fun, but it can also give you really bad habits when you try to draw realistically, if all you've drawn previously have been anime characters.

Also, if you're using Photoshop, and you know how to make the drawing lighter...try finding the "brightness/contrast" edit-thing, and the "curves" edit-thing. I use both of those primarily when fixing up my scans...and if there's something that's REALLY obvious and hard to get rid of, I'll take a large, soft-edged airbrush and highlight the area out with the "highlight" tool set to "Shadow".

Finishing your sketches should also be a focus for you (I should take my own advice, ha). It's really hard for me to finish things too, I can understand that...but it's a really good habit to get into - one I'm just trying to get into now.

Seeing as how you "sketch all day", finishing one piece should be pretty easy for you. Just try it out.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Also make yourself draw in long strokes, those short 'petted' in lines look bad on almost anyone's work.

Its something I struggle with, and i've been trying so hard to get that bad habbit outta my system.

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Check out a medical book on the skeleton of the human body (or a pin-up, whichever you prefer) and just sit down and start memorizing the structure. When you draw your characters next time, ask yourself if they can house that complex structure of bone and tissue before committing to detail.

Godfather on
  • Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    nth wrote:
    I am having troubles with cleaning up pictures and editing them. [...] when I scan it it comes out with a lot of splotches so the best I could do is make it lighter.

Are you scanning pencils? If these sketches are any indication of your line darkness, you won't be able to clean them up. Ink your finished sketches, don't be afraid of ruining them.

But before you do that, do what NightDragon says.

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    nthnth Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Thanks for the responses. I think I would get into more realistic art first. Learning more of the human body is what I can do I guess. I have a couple of anatomy books already my favorite one is Burn Hogarth's Dynamic Figures.

nth on
    What's worse than a cold toilet seat? A warm toilet seat. There's only one way short of magic it could have gotten warm. At first, you're almost thankful it's warm, then you get to thinking... this is the result of another person's ass-warmth.
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    nth wrote:
    Thanks for the responses. I think I would get into more realistic art first. Learning more of the human body is what I can do I guess. I have a couple of anatomy books already my favorite one is Burn Hogarth's Dynamic Figures.

I've got that book. It's pretty good for figuring out block-shapes, but in some parts it's also somewhat stylized. Try also getting a copy of "Anatomy for the Artist"...I believe it's a yellow cover (or was), and that's an excellent book as well...more detailed, medically-specific drawings, so I think it would be a good book to check through in addition to Hogarth's.

NightDragon on