As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

My Xbox and PC won't talk to each other.

DragonPupDragonPup Registered User regular
edited November 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
This is a problem I've had for a while, actually. My Xbox and desktop won't see each other on the network so I can not stream video from one to the other. I think it may be PC related because it started around the time the motherboard croaked and I replaced most of the components. I've tried the Media Player, TVersity, and PlayOn and they won't see the other. I have tried disabling the firewall and anti-virus.

Does anyone have any ideas or experience troubleshooting this kind of thing?

Thanks.

"I was there, I was there, the day Horus slew the Emperor." -Cpt Garviel Loken

Currently painting: Slowly [flickr]
DragonPup on

• Options
    DHS OdiumDHS Odium Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Need more information. Xbox or Xbox 360? What OS are you running, XP or Vista?

DHS Odium on
    Wii U: DHS-Odium // Live: DHS Odium // PSN: DHSOdium // Steam: dhsykes // 3DS: 0318-6615-5294
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    360 with XP.

DragonPup on

• Options
    tony_importanttony_important Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    doesn't this require media center?

tony_important on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    SkittlebrauSkittlebrau Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I had this same problem a while back. WMP's media sharing worked for a while, and then just quit unexpectedly and no amount of uninstalling and reinstalling worked for me. Then I downloaded one of the newer Winamp releases one day which came bundled with Orb, and that managed to work for me. I believe it'll even transcode filetypes that the 360 doesn't natively play.

Skittlebrau on
  • Options
    DaemonionDaemonion Mountain Man USARegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    You could always try the Zune software, as well.

Daemonion on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I installed WinAmp for kicks and it still does not work, nor does Zune. I've uninstalled and reinstalled my network drivers without sucess. Both devices can connect to the net fine, and they both see the router(Linksys wired router, if it matters) and have valid IP addresses.

On the Xbox's diagnostics, it fails at 'PC Selection', and on the PC Side, WMP does not see the xbox.

DragonPup on

• Options
    DHS OdiumDHS Odium Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Could this be a workgroup thing? Someone probably knows more about this than I do. The two defaults I've seen are WORKGROUP, and MSHOME. Maybe your computer got switched to the other one and can't see any device not in it's workgroup?

That probably isn't it though..

DHS Odium on
    Wii U: DHS-Odium // Live: DHS Odium // PSN: DHSOdium // Steam: dhsykes // 3DS: 0318-6615-5294
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    The PC is in the home workgroup. No idea how to check that on the 360.

DragonPup on

• Options
    edited November 2008
    A ha! Apparently my router had it's Filter Multicasting turned off. They can see each other, but WMP11 doesnt want to share my library of perfectly legitimate media. :p PlayOn worked, but it's streaming from Hulu had some big buffering issues...

EDIT: TVersity doesnt want to work with it... :-(

DragonPup on