As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Berserk Manga

YukikazeYukikaze Registered User regular
edited November 2008 in Graphic Violence
I just wanted to see if anyone has ever read the dark fantasy manga called Berserk by Kentaro Miura. The basic plot of the story involves a cursed swordsman going around killing overpowered monsters (the why and how are established in the second story arc), but the art (and the scenes of surreal violence) is very detailed and well done. Amazingly enough, the manga has been on-going for almost twenty years now and is currently on volume 33 (I believe Miura does most of the work himself). If you can, please look into this manga as it is very worthwhile. If you've read it already, please share your thoughts about Berserk.

Yukikaze on

• Options
    SalmonOfDoubtSalmonOfDoubt Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I've never read the manga but the anime was pretty bad ass.

SalmonOfDoubt on
    heavensidesig80.jpg
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    killing children would be hilarious
    Olivaw wrote: »
    HELLO AND WELCOME TO THE PENNY ARCADE FORUMS

PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY

AND THIS PENIS
    Man, I don't want to read about this lady's broken vagina.
    NotACrook wrote: »
    I am sitting here trying to come up with a tiered system for rating child molesters.
    cock vore is fuckin hilarious
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Yea.... the anime covered only the first arc of the manga, but the later arcs make the first look like a sunday afternoon picnic.

Yukikaze on
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I loved the manga when I followed it. I read the scanlations though, since I couldn't find it anywhere else and it wasn't licensed yet.

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I've heard good things about Berserk and kind of want to read it

Sars_Boy on
  • Options
    SlicerSlicer Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Berserk is pretty good but it could really use less demon rape.

Slicer on
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Yeah its on my must buy list. Dark Horse is just so far behind I avoid going to any sort of message board about it cause they only introduced the witch girl and the trolls in the Dark Horse line. They need to come out faster. The only thing worse about release schedule than it is Hellsing and even worse PRIEST <will they ever finish it?>

Psychotic One on
  • Options
    KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Definitely worth a look, but I think time hasn't been good to it. It's almost like the mangaka feels like he only has to put out a new issue whenever he needs money. Gone are the days of anticipation for a new issue and it's replaced with, "is it almost over", type feeling. It's still good, but lost a lot of love over the past, what, decade or more?

KVW on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I usually go here for the manga updates. They keep Berserk and Hellsing on rotation. I believe right now all the Berserk and Hellsing updates are up.

Oh, the Hellsing Manga is done btw...

SERVO EDITED FOR REASONS

Yukikaze on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Slicer wrote: »

You can never have too much demon rape.

SalmonOfDoubt on
    heavensidesig80.jpg

PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY

AND THIS PENIS
    I am sitting here trying to come up with a tiered system for rating child molesters.
  • Options
    Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Yukikaze wrote: »
    I usually go here for the manga updates. They keep Berserk and Hellsing on rotation. I believe right now all the Berserk and Hellsing updates are up.

Oh, the Hellsing Manga is done btw...
    yo dogg that ain't legal

Sars_Boy on
  • Options
    simsidesimside Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

You just have to stare whenever the monster-face horses with gigantic junk appear. The monster designs are unparalleled.

I just started reading it earlier this year. I think I read, like, ten volumes of it in a row, all the ones that have the story of Guts' past in them. I was worried at first that the story would just contain fight after fight with fat knights, but I loved how the supernatural elements were slowly introduced bit by bit until they got around to the Cenobites, then shit hit the fan. That whole second encounter with the Cenobites was probably the best scene in any comic I've ever read.

I'm less interested in the current story arc despite the religious fanatics (I'm at around volume 20). It sounds like more supernatural stuff will happen, though, so I'm hoping I just hit a slow spot.

simside on
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    KVW wrote: »
    Definitely worth a look, but I think time hasn't been good to it. It's almost like the mangaka feels like he only has to put out a new issue whenever he needs money. Gone are the days of anticipation for a new issue and it's replaced with, "is it almost over", type feeling. It's still good, but lost a lot of love over the past, what, decade or more?

I don't think it's that... I remember reading that all the covers for each volumes are actually large paintings he'd do. Plus, there usually tended to be a massive amount of detail in each panel...

But the lag in both releases and fan translations ultimately led to my drifting away from it. How is Dark Horse's translation, btw?

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    The translations I feel are really well done. Definatly better than most of the fan translations I've seen cause most still argue over the Gatts, Gutsu, etc translations.

Psychotic One on
  • Options
    muninnmuninn Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    After a while the tone of the story takes an abrupt turn, from depressingly bleak and violent, to some sort of fairy induced sugar coma... with violence. The whole venture is pretty epic, and the pace have been picking up finally...
    Good stuff if you can ignore the demon rape.

muninn on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    The translations I feel are really well done. Definatly better than most of the fan translations I've seen cause most still argue over the Gatts, Gutsu, etc translations.

Really? That's surprising, Dark Horse's treatment of the Hellsing manga was fucking atrocious.

SalmonOfDoubt on
    heavensidesig80.jpg

PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY

AND THIS PENIS
  • Options
    animaleanimale Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I was following the scanlations for a while and they're pretty terrible, really anything is better than some the painful fan translations I read.

animale on
  • Options
    ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Didn't Dark Horse do the U.S. release of the Lone Wolf and Cub books?

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    animaleanimale Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Didn't Dark Horse do the U.S. release of the Lone Wolf and Cub books?

Yup, though I'm not sure if they originally did the release in the 80s.

animale on
  • Options
    ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I didn't think the whole series got released the first time around, but I may be mistaken.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    muninnmuninn Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

Really? That's surprising, Dark Horse's treatment of the Hellsing manga was fucking atrocious.

Berserk seems very well translated when compared to scantlations.

muninn on
  • Options
    BerserkisBerserkis Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    If youve only seen the anime, its really well worth picking up the books to read the rest of the story. I havnt kept up with the fan translations since about the 30th volume, and Ive picked up the 1st 24 vol. from Dark Horse over the last few years.

Highly recommended

Berserkis on
  • Options
    OllieOllie Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

I used to have such a good time telling people about that!

I LOVE the manga, it's seriously one of my favorite graphic novels evar. I have never seen the anime nor am I too interested in it, the other fans I talk to say it's kinda lame compared to the source material. I don't really watch anime anyway since I prefer manga.

The whole reason I started reading was actually because of Schierke. A friend of mine and I were discussing a story we are collaborating on, and he mentioned this totally cool dark fantasy manga(!) he was reading and how this girl witch reminded him of a girl in our story. He showed me a few sample pages which got me really intrigued, and sent me... oh, 27 or 28 volumes worth over a few weeks. I'd read the entire volume the moment the AIM file transfer would finish and claw at him for more (if he hadn't logged off, and since I often finished in the middle of the night I was left to my own devices of weeping bitterly until the next installment :P).

Schierke actually didn't make her debut until volume 24, and I admit I was really impatient for her to enter the story, but the whole thing was so fascinating it was far from being the only thing I thought about. All the characters are so unique, and the art is GORGEOUS - I love how even in huge crowds there isn't a generic face you see over and over like in so many graphic novels.
    Plus Ishidoro (or Isidro, I guess, would be the "proper" name) enters the story awhile before Schierke, which I got totally excited about since he was one of the characters I saw in those preview pages my friend showed me.
    ... am I allowed to say that? The rules are pretty explicit about not discussing comic piracy but I'm only mentioning what was given to me by someone else...

Also I'm pretty sure that when Miura was still formulating the story he decided there had to be at least one totally badass character that everyone was guaranteed to love and then was like "Oh I know SKULL KNIGHT!" I want a t-shirt with him on it.

Sorry about the fangirlish rambling, I just love it so much! <3

Ollie on