As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Irrational fear

Steamboat WilleySteamboat Willey Registered User regular
edited January 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
From today's newspost

"I'm really glad that school was a dark and distant memory by the time presumption of a young introvert's criminality became the norm. Please understand that if a person casually mentions that they're going to pack heat after a round of R6, I think you should take a peek in the ol' Jansport. But I'm almost sure I would have been jailed for my normal behavior, or at least "treated" for it, and I have a sense that this process would have thinned my already brittle grip on the rational. "

I find myself agreeing with Tycho. Ever since Columbine, anyone introverted, who doesn't conform to the sports playing, GAP wearing norm is treated like a potential terrorist. I mean take a look at this:
www.godhatesgoths.com
I play fantasy RPGs, listen to metal, wear gothic clothing and read occult books. According to this website I'm in danger of walking into school and killing everyone (or I would be if I was still at school). The difference between me and the Columbine murderers is that i know the difference between fantasy and reality; something the writer of the above website needs to learn.

Its all good fun until someone loses an eye.
Steamboat Willey on

• DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Yea... Columbine didn't create crazies like those who made that website. Jack Chick has been doing his shtick forever.

It is requiring a large amount of effort to not mock you for the "gothic clothing and read occult books" comment.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • sanstodosanstodo Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Yea... Columbine didn't create crazies like those who made that website. Jack Chick has been doing his shtick forever.

It is requiring a large amount of effort to not mock you for the "gothic clothing and read occult books" comment.

It's really the occult books that crack me up.

Anyway, I think that those presumptions change on where you live and how you conduct yourself. There were some goths where I grew up and a few of them were actively engaged in the community and did well in school. They were treated quite well by the faculty and staff of the high school. The ones who didn't attend classes, got into fights, and generally wasted away their lives were not treated as well.

Anyone who chooses to place themselves deliberately outside of the mainstream is consciously choosing to make themselves a center of attention. Expect to be scrutinized more closely if you make such choices.

sanstodo on
  • HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Kids were shooting up schools long before Columbine. The Columbine kids and most of their victims were white though, so people actually payed attention when it happened.

Hacksaw on
  • redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    UUMMM....

the kid did have a fire arm, per the link on the news page. Taking the x-box, considering that it's nic is going to have a MAC address, is totally a logical thing to do if you are going to try to build a case against someone for how they used it. There are lots of x-boxes out there, and you can log into live from any of them.

Taking it is nothing other than a little thing called gathering evidence. You know, so they can prove it was this particular little reject that said the shit, and not someone with a grudge trying to frame him.

god loves you gothboy, but your head is up your ass.

"Oh noooos I can't threaten to go to school and kill people, and have a gun in my posesion, and scare the shit out of half of a town in the process."

Get the fuck over yourself. Put down the shitty Ann Rice book. Buy some clothing that is not black. Go out in the sun once in a while. And mabey just mabey try to get laid.

There is much horible shit going on today, and you flip out over shit like this. Get a little fucking perspective.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Another "Them crazy fundies" thread?

Aldo on
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    As long as we're jumping up and down on this post and runner, does anybody actually listen to the lyrics of metal? I don't much care if they're talking about ritualistically murdering a two week old baby if you can't make out a single fucking syllable of it.

How metal became viewed as "demonic" always confused me. Was it really started by the artists themselves? Stuff like Ozzy and the like?

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Steamboat WilleySteamboat Willey Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Aldo wrote:
    Another "Them crazy fundies" thread?
    Yes. (Wahtever a fundie is)

The worst thing about these American God-botherers is that instead of saying "we hate goths" or "we hate fags", they try to justify their prejudice by saying "god hates whatever".

Steamboat Willey on
    edited January 2007
    As long as we're jumping up and down on this post and runner, does anybody actually listen to the lyrics of metal? I don't much care if they're talking about ritualistically murdering a two week old baby if you can't make out a single fucking syllable of it.

How metal became viewed as "demonic" always confused me. Was it really started by the artists themselves? Stuff like Ozzy and the like?

Meh, the only kind of genre of metal I know of that is primarily interested in satanism and shit is Black Metal, and it sucks balls.

Lots of metal has nothing to do with that kind of stuff; some actually has some interesting content if you grab the lyric sheet (exception rather than the rule).

I just think it's weird that people work hard to draw attention to themselves and then get all pissed when that attention isn't all adulation and empathy.

sanstodo on
  • LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I'm 99% certain that site is parody.

Leitner on
  • CantideCantide Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    merchnb1.jpg

Y-You thought this was a real site?

Cantide on
    edited January 2007
    redx wrote:
    the kid did have a fire arm, per the link on the news page. Taking the x-box, considering that it's nic is going to have a MAC address, is totally a logical thing to do if you are going to try to build a case against someone for how they used it. There are lots of x-boxes out there, and you can log into live from any of them.

"Oh noooos I can't threaten to go to school and kill people, and have a gun in my posesion, and scare the shit out of half of a town in the process."
    Just because that kid had a gun does not mean that every other loner who plays video games and reads wants to shoot up their school. I certainly don't. Did you actually read some of the bull on that godhatesgoths website.
    The greatest threat to today's society is the rise of the gothic subculture.

Your child may well start showing signs of a violent nature, and this may lead to long-term mental problems if it are not caught soon enough. You need to help your child to realise that anti-social behaviour is not normal, and she should embrace life with both hands, at that age she could be a cheer-leader or dress in bright happy colors and attract the right kind of friends. The kind of friends who would not abuse her, brainwash her into being a mindless goth sheep who hates the world. If she opened her eyes she would see God has given us a wonderful world and she could be so much more.
    Hardly.

For the record I have a degree, I am about to start a well paying job and I carry out voluntary work. How many kids who wear bright clothes and play sports end up on street corners drinking Buckfast?

Steamboat Willey on
  • CantideCantide Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    gothterroristsfo3.jpg

vampiresue3.jpg

I may need to buy one of these. I mean, it's about time someone finally took a stand against vampires.

Cantide on
  • redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    redx wrote:

Just because that kid had a gun does not mean that every other loner who plays video games and reads wants to shoot up their school. I certainly don't. Did you actually read some of the bull on that godhatesgoths website.

:roll:

you get a lot of your news from the onion, don't you.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
    edited January 2007
    redx wrote:

Your child may well start showing signs of a violent nature, and this may lead to long-term mental problems if it are not caught soon enough. You need to help your child to realise that anti-social behaviour is not normal, and she should embrace life with both hands, at that age she could be a cheer-leader or dress in bright happy colors and attract the right kind of friends. The kind of friends who would not abuse her, brainwash her into being a mindless goth sheep who hates the world. If she opened her eyes she would see God has given us a wonderful world and she could be so much more.
    Hardly.

For the record I have a degree, I am about to start a well paying job and I carry out voluntary work. How many kids who wear bright clothes and play sports end up on street corners drinking Buckfast?

Dude, chill the anger a bit. If you're going to be hostile, judge and categorize others based on what they wear, and act is if the world is against you, then don't be surprised if others are hostile towards you, judge you and categorize you based on what you wear, and act as if you are against them.

Seriously, you're taking the victim position way too far here. I don't know you but if you do as much good as you say, then there are those who recognize your contributions.

sanstodo on
  • LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    redx wrote:

Hardly.

Why do you dress like a goth? also that is parody, seriously take the nails out of your hands and get off that cross.

Leitner on
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    The Columbine kids weren't goths anyways. If anything they were jsut bored white suburban wannabe rednecks

nexuscrawler on
  • ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2007
    SC wrote:
    Why do you dress like a goth?
    Why does he need a reason? It doesn't hurt anyone and there are people who like it. I don't see how the whole "goth-thing" is even worth questioning.

ViolentChemistry on
    edited January 2007
    SC wrote:
    Why does he need a reason? It doesn't hurt anyone and there are people who like it. I don't see how the whole "goth-thing" is even worth questioning.

Obsessing about imagined problems is far easier than dealing with real ones

nexuscrawler on
    edited January 2007
    The Columbine kids weren't goths anyways. If anything they were jsut bored white suburban wannabe rednecks

Aldo on
  • ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2007
    SC wrote:

Obsessing about imagined problems is far easier than dealing with real ones
    Isn't that what videogames are for? I don't mean the imagined problems of the existence of videogames, I mean like clearly I don't have to be worrying about whether or not Earth's defenses are strong enough to repel an invasion by aliens who want to turn humanity into super-weapons, but since I can do something about that by maxing out Revolver Stake and Oxtongue B, while I can't really do anything about Malaysia being a major hub for human-trafficking, I can solve an imaginary problem and save the world to trick myself into not feeling so bad about being incapable of doing anything to stop a real one.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Cantide wrote:
    [i mg]http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/4739/gothterroristsfo3.jpg[/img]

[ ]http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/9089/vampiresue3.jpg[/img]

I may need to buy one of these. I mean, it's about time someone finally took a stand against vampires.
    I totally want that shirt about how Vampires can spread hepatitis

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • JohannenJohannen Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    SC wrote:
    I'm not saying these are my feelings but I was wondering what others thoughts were on this. It seems to come under this heading so lets see.

Do you think that people who dress as "goths" or "chavs" are creating negative images? By that I mean; Do you think it's o.k for people to wear clothes and set themselves in a way that is aggressive or anti-social, therefore having a negative impact for them with the people who see them? Or is it the fault of those around these people for not being open minded enough?

I really have something big about this whole British "chav" culture that's arising and I think it's actually something that needs to be stopped, because these people are no longer just wearing the clothes, they are being actively aggressive because of how they have started portraying themselves.

I don't really know much about how "goths" associate due to not seeing many where I live. From what i've been seeing though isn't the general idea behind being an "emo" or a "goth" being closed off and antisocial?

I have nothing against anybody who dresses like this so please don't bite me in the "Andrew 'Hunt'". Just wanted to see some thoughts on it. (Or shall I copy/paste this into a separate thread?)

Johannen on
  • Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    Cantide wrote:
    gothterroristsfo3.jpg

vampiresue3.jpg

The testimonies page is also hilarious. There's only one so far, but it's great.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • LadyMLadyM Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Man, if schools had been as paranoid in the 80s as they are now, I would've been in hot water all the time. My friends and I often joked about a) bombing the school, b) killing certain teachers, c) if not killing, then at least tricking them into eating the shark eyeballs they used in biology lab, and d) blowing up New York. We weren't goths, juvenile delinquents, etc (although I don't see why goths would be more violent than other teens anyway--just more angsty.) We were just blowing off steam. I think it's rather insulting towards teenagers that even while the rate of school violence is falling, parents and educators act like they're all would-be killers just waiting to slaughter their next victim. "Kids these days" are an easy group for paranoid adults to stereotype based on a few whackjobs.

I mean, in that recent case two girls were making a "hit list" and the Energizer Bunny was on it. That might be a hint that they are not serious in their intent.

LadyM on
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Johannen wrote:
    I don't really know much about how "goths" associate due to not seeing many where I live. From what i've been seeing though isn't the general idea behind being an "emo" or a "goth" being closed off and antisocial?

O.o ... Not...quite. Here's a link that might help with some insight into the subculture (and emo and goth are two separate individual subcultures).

As to the op....why are you that concerned about how others perceive you? If you're into the gothic scene, great but is it terribly important how closeminded individuals who obviously have no clue react towards it?

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    The notion of goths being antisocial fills me with mirth.

Hell, even emos flock together.

They WHINE a lot.

But they whine in GROUPS.

But goths man... goths are some of the most social people I've ever dealt with.

It's only when an individual from a sub-culture is isolated from that sub-culture that you'll ever see them looking anti-social, and often not even then.

Incenjucar on
  • yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    LadyM wrote:
    Man, if schools had been as paranoid in the 80s as they are now, I would've been in hot water all the time. My friends and I often joked about a) bombing the school, b) killing certain teachers, c) if not killing, then at least tricking them into eating the shark eyeballs they used in biology lab, and d) blowing up New York. We weren't goths, juvenile delinquents, etc (although I don't see why goths would be more violent than other teens anyway--just more angsty.) We were just blowing off steam. I think it's rather insulting towards teenagers that even while the rate of school violence is falling, parents and educators act like they're all would-be killers just waiting to slaughter their next victim. "Kids these days" are an easy group for paranoid adults to stereotype based on a few whackjobs.

I mean, in that recent case two girls were making a "hit list" and the Energizer Bunny was on it. That might be a hint that they are not serious in their intent.

I don't know, man. THat fuckin' bunny has got to be dealt with. He's been going for TOO LONG!

yalborap on
    edited January 2007
    Aegis wrote:
    As to the op....why are you that concerned about how others perceive you? If you're into the gothic scene, great but is it terribly important how closeminded individuals who obviously have no clue react towards it?
    I really don't mind if people think I'm a bit weird. I am a bit wierd, I know that. I've even had people joking, "one day there will be a large bang and I know it will be you". Jokes are fine, I can take a joke. But when people start taking things too seriously (I was convinced that website was for real) its just plain scary.

I know there are some goths who take drugs and commit acts of vandalism. Same as chavs. There are some chavs who are nice guys under all that attitude.
    Every group in society has good and bad elements, so its wrong to say one group, be it goths, gamers, chavs or Christians is to blame for all the ills of society.

Can't we all just learn to get along with each other?

Steamboat Willey on
  • #14#14 Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I cut holes in my Brandon Lee poster and fucked him in the eyes. Once i even took a shit on my desk. I was soon expelled from school for trying to summon the devil in math.

I really like this.

#14 on
    edited January 2007
    SC wrote:
    Why do you dress like a goth? also that is parody, seriously take the nails out of your hands and get off that cross.
    1 Because I like the look.
    2 I see that now, but when I first saw it I thought it was for real. (Is it too late to take back some of the shit I've said?)

Steamboat Willey on
  • ALockslyALocksly Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    SC wrote:
    1 Because I like the look.
    2 I see that now, but when I first saw it I thought it was for real. (Is it too late to take back some of the shit I've said?)

No, no. keep goin'

This is good stuff here. I particularly like how you plugged your degree after having been shown to have fallen for a spoof site.

I'll give you some points for offering to take it back though

Seriously though, I don't see any rampant persecution of goths goin on. There is probably some here and there at the local level but I would bet it's highly dependant on the additude and behaviour of the folks in question.

That said if you're a real loner who likes to wear a trenchcoat and glare at people while furiously scribbling in a notebook then yeah, you may recieve a little more scrutiny than a few years ago.

ALocksly on
    Yes,... yes, I agree. It's totally unfair that sober you gets into trouble for things that drunk you did.
  • GorakGorak Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    ALocksly wrote:
    Seriously though, I don't see any rampant persecution of goths goin on.

That's what pisses them off the most. They like being persecuted so they have something to whine about.

When I was a kid, we hated goths because they gave us a bad name. We didn't wear black because we were depressed and introspective - we were just metal as all fuck! :twisted:

Gorak on
  • MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Gorak wrote:
    That's what pisses them off the most. They like being persecuted so they have something to whine about.

I dunno. If there's something high school is good at, it's persecuting people. I doubt Goths would be the exception, and that everyone would buy them flowers.

Like everything ever, it probably depends where you go.

MrMister on
  • GorakGorak Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    MrMister wrote:
    Gorak wrote:

I dunno. If there's something high school is good at, it's persecuting people. I doubt Goths would be the exception, and that everyone would buy them flowers.

But they need to be persecuted more than everyone else so that they can whine about how nobody else understands them and how deep and uniquely insightful they are.

The worst thing you can do is tell them, "That's life, buddy. Now man the fuck up."

Gorak on
  • fjafjanfjafjan Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    LadyM wrote:

"He just keeps going and going ... BUT WE WILL STOP HIM *manical laughter*"

fjafjan on
    Yepp, THE Fjafjan (who's THE fjafjan?)
    - "Proving once again the deadliest animal of all ... is the Zoo Keeper" - Philip J Fry
    edited January 2007
    Gorak wrote:
    MrMister wrote:
    Gorak wrote:

But they need to be persecuted more than everyone else so that they can whine about how nobody else understands them and how deep and uniquely insightful they are.

The worst thing you can do is tell them, "That's life, buddy. Now man the fuck up."

Aren't you confusing goths with emos, now?

Aldo on
    edited January 2007
    Aldo wrote:
    Gorak wrote:
    MrMister wrote:
    Gorak wrote:

goths are emos but not all emos are goths?

or rather goths are simply emos with bad makeup?

nexuscrawler on
    edited January 2007
    Aldo wrote:
    Gorak wrote:
    MrMister wrote:
    Gorak wrote:

Go look it up on wiki or something

If anything, goths dress better than emos. :roll:

Aldo on
    edited January 2007
    Aldo wrote:
    Aldo wrote:
    Gorak wrote:
    MrMister wrote:
    Gorak wrote:

Where's Podly when you need him?

nexuscrawler on
    edited January 2007
    Aldo wrote:
    Aldo wrote:
    Gorak wrote:
    MrMister wrote:
    Gorak wrote:

Where's Podly when you need him?

Either with his girl or annoying everyone with his keytar and bragging about said girl. :P

Aldo on